why not just sit on your butt and pray?

that's obviously the answer to anything

One of the least intelligent religious customs is that of prayer. It is customary for religious congregations to pray in a loud voice or for the priest or preacher to pray in a loud voice, usually asking their god for favors.

If the christian god were an all intelligent god, he would know what people wanted and what was good for them before they themselves developed the idea of asking for something.

As a general rule, people pray for things they expect to "chisel" out of the deity, that is, they pray for something for nothing. One group prays for rain, another group who feels that rain will injure their crops about to be harvested, will pray for a dry spell. Each man often wants something that will be at the expense of others.

Pray. "To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner
confessedly unworthy."
..........Ambrose Bierce

One of the least intelligent religious customs is that of prayer. It is customary for religious congregations to pray in a loud voice or for the priest or preacher to pray in a loud voice, usually asking their god for favors.

If the christian god were an all intelligent god, he would know what people wanted and what was good for them before they themselves developed the idea of asking for something.

As a general rule, people pray for things they expect to "chisel" out of the deity, that is, they pray for something for nothing. One group prays for rain, another group who feels that rain will injure their crops about to be harvested, will pray for a dry spell. Each man often wants something that will be at the expense of others.
You seem to lead a very sad and tortured life. . :cool:

While the answer to not having anything constructive to contribute to a discussion board is, apparently, start yet another thread intended on ridiculing Christians

I saw no reference to Christianity.

Why not climb the battlements while waving a tee shirt and screaming "hey, look at me. I'm suffering for my religion"

Prayer becomes a form of self-deception known as magical thinking or Wishful thinking.

Want to show me a miracle, don't cure a brain tumor because that's something the body can do. Rare but it has happened. That's not a miracle. Want to show me a miracle? Have a guy wake up and his arm that was blown off in Iraq has re grown. Or show me a flood ravaged city like NO after Katrina the next day is bone dry.

Studies have failed to find any evidence for benefits from prayer that cannot be ruled out as either the placebo effect or a form of cognitive behavioural therapy. In fact, the most comprehensive study performed thus far found that hospital patients who were prayed for suffered more complications than otherwise.

The notion that one can communicate with the gods and spirit worlds is commonplace among religionists. I suppose they feel they are in a unique position to intercede and exert influence upon a deity from whom they seek a favor? In short, influence peddling.

Prayer does not have to ask for anything. It can just be a time when one focuses one's thoughts or words towards Him. One can ask for something or one can listen for a reply. As long as it is with modesty that is OK. One can also stand. I prefer to stand most of the time. ;)

The answer is found in Exodus 14:10 to 15.

Moses and the children of Israel were pressed up against the Red Sea by the Egyptians with no where to go so Moses got down on his knees to pray and God said, this is not the time to pray Moses. Get up and go forward.

In the Christian life, everything isn't going to be handed to you. You actually have to have koinonia or fellowship with God and follow His leading. God is waiting for me to take a step and when I do He is waiting to give me the next step. When I reach across the bed to pray, God is there reaching across the bed to me.

Exodus 14:10 ¶ And when Pharaoh drew nigh, the children of Israel lifted up their eyes, and, behold, the Egyptians marched after them; and they were sore afraid: and the children of Israel cried out unto the LORD.
Exodus 14:11 And they said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness? wherefore hast thou dealt thus with us, to carry us forth out of Egypt?
Exodus 14:12 Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it had been better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness.
Exodus 14:13 And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.
Exodus 14:14 The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.
Exodus 14:15 ¶ And the LORD said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward:
Exodus 14:16 But lift thou up thy rod, and stretch out thine hand over the sea, and divide it: and the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea.

The Bible has the answer.

Why is it always the religious illiterates who have to take loudmouthed stands like this?

Prayer doesn't change God, guano, it changes me.

Why is it always the religious illiterates who have to take loudmouthed stands like this?

That's just it. People don't realize prayer is supposed to change us.

That's just it. People don't realize prayer is supposed to change us.

They want to change God and God knows what is best for us and God doesn't change though He can answer our prayers.

The answer is found in Exodus 14:10 to 15.

Moses and the children of Israel were pressed up against the Red Sea by the Egyptians with no where to go so Moses got down on his knees to pray and God said, this is not the time to pray Moses. Get up and go forward.

In the Christian life, everything isn't going to be handed to you. You actually have to have koinonia or fellowship with God and follow His leading. God is waiting for me to take a step and when I do He is waiting to give me the next step. When I reach across the bed to pray, God is there reaching across the bed to me.

Exodus 14:10 ¶ And when Pharaoh drew nigh, the children of Israel lifted up their eyes, and, behold, the Egyptians marched after them; and they were sore afraid: and the children of Israel cried out unto the LORD.
Exodus 14:11 And they said unto Moses, Because there were no graves in Egypt, hast thou taken us away to die in the wilderness? wherefore hast thou dealt thus with us, to carry us forth out of Egypt?
Exodus 14:12 Is not this the word that we did tell thee in Egypt, saying, Let us alone, that we may serve the Egyptians? For it had been better for us to serve the Egyptians, than that we should die in the wilderness.
Exodus 14:13 And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.
Exodus 14:14 The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.
Exodus 14:15 ¶ And the LORD said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward:
Exodus 14:16 But lift thou up thy rod, and stretch out thine hand over the sea, and divide it: and the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea.

The Bible has the answer.

The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window.

Forum List

Back