🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

With all the GOP cuts to education, Republicans put the future of our country at risk.

So what does that have to do with teachers like me in the rest of the country, some of which are required to fund their entire retirement out of our paychecks?

Comparing California, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia. Boston. and Atlanta to public schools nationwide is a farce.

You have to fund your own retirement?
Oooooohhhh Nooooooosssse!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the real world that a lot of Americans live everyday.
What makes you so special that you deserve retirement on the backs of the tax payer?

Looking at the reduced paycheck I get and then having to pay for my own retirement, those wonderful benefits people claim all teachers get starts to look a little more like a fairy tale.

You brought up a retirement plan that is completely out of this world when compared to most teacher's plans and then you deflect when I show how you are dead wrong.

How much do you think I get paid per year after 17 years as a classroom teacher, with a Master's degree? I am betting you will be shocked.

What retirement plan did I bring up?
You chose to be a teacher so you have no one to blame but yourself if you feel you are being underpaid.

I apologize. You were not the one who brought up the retirement plan.

I chose to be a teacher, so I am underpaid. I just don't agree with education bashers spreading bullshit propaganda as though I have it better than most, like certain parties in this thread .

Not to many people get 3 months off a year and get paid for it.

How does that study account for costs such as transportation, (which most countries do not provide), compensation of teachers, retirement plans, healthcare costs, administrative costs, etc.?

You cannot get a much worse apples to oranges comparison than what happens when you try to compare the US to any other country. We are usually 15 to 50 times larger by comparison.

Cost per student.

So, if I compare my school in the backwoods of a flyover state to a school in Berlin, are we going to get a valid comparison?

If you think you will, you have not studied enough statistics to formulate a reasonable response.

That you actually believe thats how the study was conducted tells me a lot.
Yea, it tells you how research works.

From the link listed above:

The average first-year high school teacher in the United States earns about $38,000. OECD nations pay their comparable educators just more than $31,000.

That trails Luxembourg, which pays its first year teachers more than $72,000 a year, but far exceeds the $10,000 paid to first-year high school teachers in Slovakia. Among all educators, U.S. payrolls are competitive. The average high school teacher in the United States earns about $53,000, well above the average of $45,500 among all OECD nations.

Considering how expensive it is to live in this country, seems teachers pay is pretty average. We pay more because out kids need heat in the winter. Duh!

Now get a load of this. This is the funniest part of all. Republicans complain that kids doing better on standardized tests over seas proves their schools are better. So we propose "common core" standardized tests over here. See? That's the part that's hysterical. Republicans point to standardized tests as "proof" but don't want standardized tests here. Like I said, "Dipshits and nitwits".

But it even goes deeper than that. Why don't they want standardized tests? Because it would be mandatory for children to learn evolution, climate change and other accepted science. Get it? Got it? Good!

Please try and keep up rderp.
Your post had nothing to do with my statement.

How does that study account for costs such as transportation, (which most countries do not provide), compensation of teachers, retirement plans, healthcare costs, administrative costs, etc.?

You cannot get a much worse apples to oranges comparison than what happens when you try to compare the US to any other country. We are usually 15 to 50 times larger by comparison.

Cost per student.

So, if I compare my school in the backwoods of a flyover state to a school in Berlin, are we going to get a valid comparison?

If you think you will, you have not studied enough statistics to formulate a reasonable response.

I didn't say that is how the study was conducted, now did I?

I am saying that there is no valid comparison.

You can only go by averages unless of course you want to do an individual survey of every school in the nation.

No. They were comparing different countries.

So what does that have to do with teachers like me in the rest of the country, some of which are required to fund their entire retirement out of our paychecks?

Comparing California, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia. Boston. and Atlanta to public schools nationwide is a farce.

You have to fund your own retirement?
Oooooohhhh Nooooooosssse!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the real world that a lot of Americans live everyday.
What makes you so special that you deserve retirement on the backs of the tax payer?

Looking at the reduced paycheck I get and then having to pay for my own retirement, those wonderful benefits people claim all teachers get starts to look a little more like a fairy tale.

You brought up a retirement plan that is completely out of this world when compared to most teacher's plans and then you deflect when I show how you are dead wrong.

How much do you think I get paid per year after 17 years as a classroom teacher, with a Master's degree? I am betting you will be shocked.

What retirement plan did I bring up?
You chose to be a teacher so you have no one to blame but yourself if you feel you are being underpaid.

I apologize. You were not the one who brought up the retirement plan.

I chose to be a teacher, so I am underpaid. I just don't agree with education bashers spreading bullshit propaganda as though I have it better than most, like certain parties in this thread .

Not to many people get 3 months off a year and get paid for it.

Who do you know that gets paid for their time off from school? I don't.

My pay for today is exactly $0.00 per hour.

What does any of that have to do with education? Is it impossible for you to stay even close to the topic?

Better retirement? My retirement sucks compared to what is available in other career fields. Our wonderful Democrats in the state have spent all of the money in the teacher's retirement fund, so unless major tax increases are made, we will probably not have a retirement when I get there in 12 years.

The discussion here was Teachers, pay rate, retirement and poor performance. This led to discussions of State Employee retirement pay. You said it was not great. I just linked one state with two employees getting more than $10K/mo forever. Teachers are no different in that state. I don't know about all 50 states.

I do know FED employee retirements are also tremendous compared to private. end of discussion.
take Dizzy Dean with you.

You do realize that teachers have their own retirement systems and are NOT part of state retirement systems? I am not a state employee.

Cost per student.

You can only go by averages unless of course you want to do an individual survey of every school in the nation.

And how the hell did they come up with the numbers?
By average obviously.

What does any of that have to do with education? Is it impossible for you to stay even close to the topic?

Better retirement? My retirement sucks compared to what is available in other career fields. Our wonderful Democrats in the state have spent all of the money in the teacher's retirement fund, so unless major tax increases are made, we will probably not have a retirement when I get there in 12 years.

The discussion here was Teachers, pay rate, retirement and poor performance. This led to discussions of State Employee retirement pay. You said it was not great. I just linked one state with two employees getting more than $10K/mo forever. Teachers are no different in that state. I don't know about all 50 states.

I do know FED employee retirements are also tremendous compared to private. end of discussion.
take Dizzy Dean with you.

You do realize that teachers have their own retirement systems and are NOT part of state retirement systems? I am not a state employee.

In General Admiral no pun intended! Public Pensions are crazy better (5X) than SSI given to AVG wage earner across USA. This time I am done. Done done and done. There are no more private pensions like olden days. We get 401K. We have to save our own. It runs out. We get SSI. We put in 100K-500K get back what? $1500/mo avg till we die?

20150102_Fellner_PvsSS-1[1].jpg

Cost per student.

Yea, it tells you how research works.

From the link listed above:

The average first-year high school teacher in the United States earns about $38,000. OECD nations pay their comparable educators just more than $31,000.

That trails Luxembourg, which pays its first year teachers more than $72,000 a year, but far exceeds the $10,000 paid to first-year high school teachers in Slovakia. Among all educators, U.S. payrolls are competitive. The average high school teacher in the United States earns about $53,000, well above the average of $45,500 among all OECD nations.

Considering how expensive it is to live in this country, seems teachers pay is pretty average. We pay more because out kids need heat in the winter. Duh!

Now get a load of this. This is the funniest part of all. Republicans complain that kids doing better on standardized tests over seas proves their schools are better. So we propose "common core" standardized tests over here. See? That's the part that's hysterical. Republicans point to standardized tests as "proof" but don't want standardized tests here. Like I said, "Dipshits and nitwits".

But it even goes deeper than that. Why don't they want standardized tests? Because it would be mandatory for children to learn evolution, climate change and other accepted science. Get it? Got it? Good!

Your data is disputed by many web pages. Also, how does cost of living figure into those calculations? A teacher in Long Island, NY can attain a six-figure salary before retirement if the have enough time and a Ph.D., but not so in the vast majority of school districts.

The analysis is probably done by someone who throws numbers together and has no idea from whence they came. Thus, they compare apples to oranges, and come up with some bizarre fruit salad to justify their preconceived notions.

Teachers are underpaid while administrators rake in massive bucks.
Government regulations and intervention has resulted in poor schools.
The Department of Education should be eliminated and the running of schools should be delegated at the State level. The Dept of Education is a useless, money-draining, political organization that sells itself - and our kids - like prostitutes.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the feds have almost zero influence in the running of schools. The old wive's tale about the Department of Education is just that.

The Department of Education should be eliminated and the running of schools should be delegated at the State level. The Dept of Education is a useless, money-draining, political organization that sells itself - and our kids - like prostitutes.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the feds have almost zero influence in the running of schools. The old wive's tale about the Department of Education is just that.
Who says the Feds should?? they would just fail at that too, like everything else they do.

And how the hell did they come up with the numbers?
By average obviously.

Which would be the most accurate measure; the mean or the median? Most people use median for salaries because the long-term teachers skew the data because of their seniority. In my department, we have 3 teachers with about 17-28 years of service and 4 with less than 8 years, and two of those have less than 5 years.

But liberals do.

The liberal conservative labelling cracks me up although we all must admit the division is healthy.

Teachers are an easy scapegoat for blame. Despite all the hatred they receive, they manage to do their jobs. How, I don't know. I couldn't do it.

The results don' match the dollars input. So they part of the failed "system". Many want to keep tossing more and more funding into failed system. ahhhhh.........no thank you ma'am. start over. get the FED out of it. Discipline is missing (for the students).

Forum List

Back