WWI was a pointless war, 20M dead, brought about by stupid alliances, like the one we have with NATO

Wrong! WWI was started by ethnic rivalries, among other reasons, that NATO has prevented for the past 70 years.
Germany and Japan were going to do what they did regardless of alliances. Hitler did not think Britain and France would HONOR their alliance with Poland so he invaded.

If alliances had been honored earlier...Hitler would have been stopped when he invaded Czechoslovakia.

In fact had NATO and the UN not existed...The Soviet Union would have gobbled up European states piecemeal until ANOTHER World War would have occurred.

Germany bares some responsibility for the Bolsheviks too, as during WW1 Germany sent Lenin & his Bolsheviks on a train with funding & supplies to Russia.

Wrong! WWI was started by ethnic rivalries, among other reasons, that NATO has prevented for the past 70 years.
Germany and Japan were going to do what they did regardless of alliances. Hitler did not think Britain and France would HONOR their alliance with Poland so he invaded.

If alliances had been honored earlier...Hitler would have been stopped when he invaded Czechoslovakia.

In fact had NATO and the UN not existed...The Soviet Union would have gobbled up European states piecemeal until ANOTHER World War would have occurred.

Germany bares some responsibility for the Bolsheviks too, as during WW1 Germany sent Lenin & his Bolsheviks on a train with funding & supplies to Russia.
That's absolutely true. Germany hoped to sow discontent and drive Russia out of the War. It succeeded but the blowback (Lenin succeeding) was awful.

those who dont learn from history are bound to repeat the mistakes of the past
I think you misread the Guns of August and misunderstand the events that led to WWI and the miscalculations by leaders of what war would entail, and you ignore Hitler's annexation of Sudentenland and Austria followed by the invasion of Czechslovakia. And you appear to discount what Putin's annexation of the Balitics without Nato militarily intervening could be.

What pre-WWI alliance compares to the 29 members of NATO?

Not sure I understand your reasons why it is a stupid alliance.

Fierce Nationalism is also a named as one of the major causes of the War to end all wars.

Like most of the Worlds problems, it was caused by the white mans greed and blood lust.

To this day we suffer from the results of ww1 . Take the Mid East for example .

What pre-WWI alliance compares to the 29 members of NATO?

Not sure I understand your reasons why it is a stupid alliance.

Fierce Nationalism is also a named as one of the major causes of the War to end all wars.
I think you identify the correct analysis. What is the reason for the alliance, and what assumptions does it rest upon. Prior to WWI, the Central Powers actors thought that trade would be more important than alliances, and after all Serbia deserved a good pounding. Russia was already involved in a Balkan war, and in 1914 Russia only acted after it was convinced Britain and France had it's back literally.

So, the alliance did not prevent a Balkan war in 1912, and Austria-Hungary and the Russia were already supporting surrogates. And Germany acted on the assumption that alliances might not be honored to the death, and even then, war would be short. Both politicians and most generals misunderstood. And the alliances were never designed to prevent client state wars in small European nations.

There's no comparison to that clustervuck and Nato .... as it stood in the cold war. But Trump is not totally wrong. Germany has effectively disarmed with reunification, and is warmly trading with Putin. But, without Nato Putin would already have reabsorbed the Baltics, assassinated all democratic opposition, and he'd be occupying half of Ukraine. And Germany's assumptions of what Nato prevents would be in taters. (pun intended)

World War I was a family fight.
Everyone involve in Europe was related in some way.
World War I created Hitler, Goering, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
Out of World War I started the giving back of Israel to the Jews.
World War I created Communist Russia.

World War I shaped our world.

Like most of the Worlds problems, it was caused by the white mans greed and blood lust.

To this day we suffer from the results of ww1 . Take the Mid East for example .

Like most everything you have a distorted view of what happened

World War I was a family fight.
Everyone involve in Europe was related in some way.
World War I created Hitler, Goering, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
Out of World War I started the giving back of Israel to the Jews.
World War I created Communist Russia.

World War I shaped our world.

And the next war will make that one look like a picnic

Uhm retard this is WWI

Lots of wars, in retrospect, turn out to have been pointless, even counterproductive, in a historical sense.

The same thing can be said of relationships.

Doesn't mean we should stop having them.

Uhm retard this is WWI

Wait! Pearl Harbor wasn't World War I?!

Uhm retard this is WWI

No that's the revolutionary war when Paul Revere ran on his electric skate board and shouted " the Japs are coming the Japs are coming"

Trump voters need to consider this comment ^^^.
They did. That's why they didn't want Boogie Nights Bill back in the White House.

I suppose, given their fiscal history since Pres. Clinton, they have every year since increased the annual deficit adding to the national debt, wherein Clnton and Obama embarrassed them by reducing the deficit.

usgs_line.php

They did. That's why they didn't want Boogie Nights Bill back in the White House.

I suppose, given their fiscal history since Pres. Clinton, they have every year since increased the annual deficit adding to the national debt, wherein he embarrassed them by reducing the deficit last couple of years.

usgs_line.php
That has as much to do with Clinton as the good economy now and Trump.

I suppose, given their fiscal history since Pres. Clinton, they have every year since increased the annual deficit adding to the national debt, wherein he embarrassed them by reducing the deficit last couple of years.

usgs_line.php

The retard obozo spent almost a trillion dollars and the unemployment went up .

Just like FDR and his bullshit new deal..

Uhm retard this is WWI

Sure and it was bombed by the Germans.

Forum List

Back