🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

You're welcome!

One of the most deceitful sales pitches employed by partisan douchebags (see linked article) is the old saw that voting third-party is the same as voting for the "other" party. "Voting Green party is the same as voting for Trump!", or "Voting Libertarian is the same as a vote for Democrats!". This, of course, isn't true at all. And you can shut these nitwits up pretty quickly by pointing this out: "Ok, if you say voting Libertarian is the same as voting for Biden, then I'll just go ahead and vote for Biden. Is that what you want? Is that really the same thing?" - or a similar line with the other candidate depending on what kind of partisan douchebag you're talking to.

This browbeating might convince some voters, but anyone with half a brain sees the conceit, and will rightly be offended by it. This alienates more independents than in convinces, making it even less likely that we'll vote for their candidate.

As an alternative to insulting independent, third-party voters, here's my advice: How about thanking us? After you've tried your best and we still prefer to vote third party, you could say something like "Well, I think it would be better if you voted for Biden/Trump, but I want to at least thank you for NOT voting for Trump/Biden. He sucks".

You're welcome.

The bottom line is, if third parties want to win then they need to field better candidates who aren't Joe and Jane Schmoe.

And they need to start with lower offices.
Just having a 3rd party President would accomplish nothing.
Yup. That is actually their biggest problem. They have little chance of having a president elected because of the electoral college. If they were to actually get any electoral votes it may wind up throwing the presidential decision to the House, which is made up of both Republicans and Democrats. A third party would have to win 270 electoral votes, about as impossible as you can get. And, as you implied, even if by a miracle of miracles, a third party actually won the presidency, they would be up against 435 Congresspersons and 100 Senators, none of whom would be members of that party. If you really want to build your third party, you have to do it from the ground up.

even if by a miracle of miracles, a third party actually won the presidency, they would be up against 435 Congresspersons and 100 Senators, none of whom would be members of that party. If you really want to build your third party, you have to do it from the ground up.

yep.

Yup. That is actually their biggest problem. They have little chance of having a president elected because of the electoral college. If they were to actually get any electoral votes it may wind up throwing the presidential decision to the House, which is made up of both Republicans and Democrats. A third party would have to win 270 electoral votes, about as impossible as you can get. And, as you implied, even if by a miracle of miracles, a third party actually won the presidency, they would be up against 435 Congresspersons and 100 Senators, none of whom would be members of that party. If you really want to build your third party, you have to do it from the ground up.

Truth is, 3rd party people have no expectation of having any effect on an election or have any role in governmental policy.
Somehow that makes them feel above the fray and superior.

I don't get it.

One of the most deceitful sales pitches employed by partisan douchebags (see linked article) is the old saw that voting third-party is the same as voting for the "other" party. "Voting Green party is the same as voting for Trump!", or "Voting Libertarian is the same as a vote for Democrats!". This, of course, isn't true at all. And you can shut these nitwits up pretty quickly by pointing this out: "Ok, if you say voting Libertarian is the same as voting for Biden, then I'll just go ahead and vote for Biden. Is that what you want? Is that really the same thing?" - or a similar line with the other candidate depending on what kind of partisan douchebag you're talking to.

This browbeating might convince some voters, but anyone with half a brain sees the conceit, and will rightly be offended by it. This alienates more independents than in convinces, making it even less likely that we'll vote for their candidate.

As an alternative to insulting independent, third-party voters, here's my advice: How about thanking us? After you've tried your best and we still prefer to vote third party, you could say something like "Well, I think it would be better if you voted for Biden/Trump, but I want to at least thank you for NOT voting for Trump/Biden. He sucks".

You're welcome.

I’ll play along….I’ll make this simple as fuck for third-graders but I’m sure you’ll elect not to get it.
Your vote for Mickey Mouse or Jo Jorgensen or any other fictional candidate is, in effect, a vote for whoever wins the election.
Follow along….
Your vote for Jo Jorgensen in 2020 was actually a vote for Biden.
Golfing Gator ‘s vote for Gary Johnson in 2016 was in effect a vote for Trump.

Do you see how this works? See how simple this shit is?
YOU’RE WELCOME!

Follow along….
Your vote for Jo Jorgensen in 2020 was actually a vote for Biden.
Golfing Gator ‘s vote for Gary Johnson in 2016 was in effect a vote for Trump.
So, tell me, if I vote Libertarian in the next election, who will I "really" be voting for? Do I need to ask a third grader?

Your vote for Mickey Mouse or Jo Jorgensen or any other fictional candidate is, in effect, a vote for whoever wins the election.
So, no matter who I vote for, it's "in effect" a vote for whoever wins?

Does this shit really make sense in your head, or are you just fucking with me?

So, tell me, if I vote Libertarian in the next election, who will I "really" be voting for? Do I need to ask a third grader?
Again, you are voting for whoever ends up winning….this shit is so simple.
I see what you’re doing…You are operating by some ignorant weird principle…some ignorant weird notion that Mickey Mouse or Jo Jorgensen has a chance at winning if you cast a vote for them. You completely ignore the FACT that only 73 others are as ignorant as you are.

No One. 2016

1 1 million votes. A record. But you want to use a tiny amount of votes and try to black mail your way into the game.:CryingCow:

So, no matter who I vote for, it's "in effect" a vote for whoever wins?

Does this shit really make sense in your head, or are you just fucking with me?
You know exactly what I’m saying…you can try to spin shit in your own little tiny mind as you try not to understand…but just know, children get it.

My old man always said...”Son, you must always cast a meaningful vote, you either vote for someone or against someone as you will probably never see the perfect candidate that fits you perfectly.”
Quite possibly the wisest thing my old man ever said.
I got it at 18….it’s so weird that so many can’t or don’t see the simplicity in my old mans point.

You're welcome.

KInda dumb since this is disproven in most poli sci texts.
It is voting for the other party.
But what gets most of us is your advice not to vote for who you think is best. That makes you what I call a "ONE REPLY-er" .You said one dumb and false thing and I leave you to be with the fairies.

Forum List

Back