Biden on Gun Control

No. An unlicensed seller has no obligation to even know the name of the buyer. If it can be shown that the seller knowingly sells to someone not allowed to have a gun, there are repercussions, but that is hard to do. It's pretty easy to say "I didn't know" and there is no obligation to find out. I agree you should be able to loan a gun to someone you know, but there should be an obligation to actually know whether that person is allowed to have a gun.

Sold them for decades, yes it is a problem. Talk to an agent and clear yourself up on that, friendly knowledgeble people. I had BATFe here every year, they could/ and would explain that to you.

In reality? No, it's worthless for the most part.

Yes, know the person you loan to for sure! Family one kinda knows. Aqquaint, nope. I don't sell or loan. Come here stand next to me and target shoot is as far as it goes. Didn't do Chris Kyle much good though.

My first gun was a BB gun I got for selling Grit Magazine door to door. My first real gun was a 410 I got for Christmas when I was 12 years old. Squirrels feared me. I'm generally against banning guns. What part of that do you want to discuss?

Oh damn I ate many of them tree rats myself! Lots of them here. Killed my first squirrel at 3-4, uncles held the gun, got lucky. BY 8-9 I was a woodchuck/groundhog eliminater and farmers loved me, 22, 222, even a 308 winnie. Shot 81 one year,,,, years before having a driver license But drove anyway) Cheif police pulled me and unc over once, I was about 13, back farm roads. "Isn't he a little young"? Unc says "he got to learn sometime" Then Chief pulls a 22 revolver and has me shoot the street sign (hit it 6 times too). My how times have changed.

About banning? WHY!!! Mostly based on looks? Fienstien defined "assualt gun" Ban sunsetted in 10 years. Senate subcomitte said "the ban was useless. Crime with so called "assualt guns" actually went up in those 10 years, like 2.6 to 2.8 %

That's a ban. They have a similar bans in the works constantly. Why if it is worthless? Look at VA, dunces.

It's about people control, not gunz control the retards.

Use the laws we already have. For instance very few report to NICS/FBI as required. Which is why people can go to a gunstore and buy, like the EX AF guy mass shooter (tx I think) He was a BCD, can't buy one but AF never reported him? Why not? One fed agency to another, take 2 minutes. People go into nutward lockups released and never reported? That's problems, bans won't solve.

Sure, I agree the database needs to be maintained better. I'm not sure how to do that. Perhaps penalties for not reporting what should be reported. I keep hearing about some nefarious ban in the works, but they never materialze. Sounds like just more fearmongering to me. Common sense gun owners (not gun nuts) will never go for a ban, but do want common sense regulations. More than 90% want universal background checks. for individual sales. If there were another way to obligate a seller to find out if a buyer is allowed to have a gun, that would be fine too, but I don't know what that might be.

Sure, I agree the database needs to be maintained better. I'm not sure how to do that. Perhaps penalties for not reporting what should be reported. I keep hearing about some nefarious ban in the works, but they never materialze. Sounds like just more fearmongering to me. Common sense gun owners (not gun nuts) will never go for a ban, but do want common sense regulations. More than 90% want universal background checks. for individual sales. If there were another way to obligate a seller to find out if a buyer is allowed to have a gun, that would be fine too, but I don't know what that might be.

That's been the problem, I lived this shit. There were people I refused a sale to even though they could have passed a NICS. I knew them and what they were.

I got a prob with common sense control, govt doesn not have common sense. I feel we have enough laws now, just enforce them, use them.

No. An unlicensed seller has no obligation to even know the name of the buyer. If it can be shown that the seller knowingly sells to someone not allowed to have a gun, there are repercussions, but that is hard to do. It's pretty easy to say "I didn't know" and there is no obligation to find out. I agree you should be able to loan a gun to someone you know, but there should be an obligation to actually know whether that person is allowed to have a gun.

Sold them for decades, yes it is a problem. Talk to an agent and clear yourself up on that, friendly knowledgeble people. I had BATFe here every year, they could/ and would explain that to you.

Yes, know the person you loan to for sure! Family one kinda knows. Aqquaint, nope. I don't sell or loan. Come here stand next to me and target shoot is as far as it goes. Didn't do Chris Kyle much good though.

Many responsible gun owners wouldn't sell to someone they don't know. Many will. Since there is no legal obligation to know anything about the purchaser we both know lots of people who will be happy to sell to anybody. You can't count on everybody to be as responsible as you say you are. Temporarily loaning a gun to a relative for a specific hunting trip is probably not as much of a problem as selling to someone you don't know anything about.

Universal background checks would be a good start.

Had them since 93. Hows it working for you in Chiraq, Baltimore, NYC

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) was mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993, and was launched by the FBI on November 30, 1998. The NICS is used by FFLs to check the eligibility of those who wish to purchase firearms.

No you haven't. Background checks are only done for licensed dealers.

If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.

That's been the problem, I lived this shit. There were people I refused a sale to even though they could have passed a NICS. I knew them and what they were.

I got a prob with common sense control, govt doesn not have common sense. I feel we have enough laws now, just enforce them, use them.

So you're good with individual sellers selling to buyers who shouldn't be allowed to have a gun, and with no obligation to know or find out the buyer's status? You're good with that?

Many responsible gun owners wouldn't sell to someone they don't know. Many will. Since there is no legal obligation to know anything about the purchaser we both know lots of people who will be happy to sell to anybody. You can't count on everybody to be as responsible as you say you are. Temporarily loaning a gun to a relative for a specific hunting trip is probably not as much of a problem as selling to someone you don't know anything about.

There is a legal obligation, just non dealers know nothing about it. Talk to BATFe as I suggested.

You're right though there are some responsible sellers and many more are not. We have a 400 mile yard sale every year, gunz and ammo galore. No questions asked. I don't go. I do what I feel is right, always have.

Just feel strongly MORE gun control is not the answer. Use what we have now. 10000+ gun laws is enough

So you're good with individual sellers selling to buyers who shouldn't be allowed to have a gun, and with no obligation to know or find out the buyer's status? You're good with that?

No I am absolutely not.

There is problems with a TOTAL universal check. Biggest is NICS can't handle what they do not, they are always down.

Would it help if I was to do a background check to sell my nephew a rifle when we got chiraq and other bad cities steal and sell? They aren't gonna do nics. Come on, how does one stop that crap?

86210901.gif

Change my mind.

----------

There is a legal obligation, just non dealers know nothing about it. Talk to BATFe as I suggested.

You're right though there are some responsible sellers and many more are not. We have a 400 mile yard sale every year, gunz and ammo galore. No questions asked. I don't go. I do what I feel is right, always have.

Just feel strongly MORE gun control is not the answer. Use what we have now. 10000+ gun laws is enough

I am unaware of any obligation for an individual seller to know or find out the staus of a buyer. Can you quote that rule or give a link? If that is true, it might change my mind on the subject.

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) was mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993, and was launched by the FBI on November 30, 1998. The NICS is used by FFLs to check the eligibility of those who wish to purchase firearms.

And criminals use straw buyers to buy their guns from licensed dealers or they steal their guns....Criminals avoid private sales because they are afraid of police stings.

I retired as a licensed dealer, manufacturer. Had 01, 03, 07 manufactures, clsss 2 sot (NFA)

It really does go deeper than most realize.

If one DOES sell a gun private, better know everything about the buyer. Pot user, felon, BCD anything. BATFe finds out or he commits a crime, you're down for the count. Big time. Who knows that? I do

All my guns, 45 of them are on BATFe records.

Once I retired years ago, never sold another firearm.

Are private sales a problem? They can be. But then again libs are going so far as you can't even loan a deer rifle to a relative gonna be 50 feet from you in the woods hunting.

And we already have laws that allow us to arrest and jail any criminal who buys a gun from anyone...that is already covered.....we already have laws that allow us to arrest and jail any criminal caught in possession of an illegal gun...

We don't need what you want because we already have laws covering it.

The criminal already knows they can't buy, own or carry a gun.......that is already covered by the 20,000 laws we already have.

My first gun was a BB gun I got for selling Grit Magazine door to door. My first real gun was a 410 I got for Christmas when I was 12 years old. Squirrels feared me. I'm generally against banning guns. What part of that do you want to discuss?

Oh damn I ate many of them tree rats myself! Lots of them here. Killed my first squirrel at 3-4, uncles held the gun, got lucky. BY 8-9 I was a woodchuck/groundhog eliminater and farmers loved me, 22, 222, even a 308 winnie. Shot 81 one year,,,, years before having a driver license But drove anyway) Cheif police pulled me and unc over once, I was about 13, back farm roads. "Isn't he a little young"? Unc says "he got to learn sometime" Then Chief pulls a 22 revolver and has me shoot the street sign (hit it 6 times too). My how times have changed.

About banning? WHY!!! Mostly based on looks? Fienstien defined "assualt gun" Ban sunsetted in 10 years. Senate subcomitte said "the ban was useless. Crime with so called "assualt guns" actually went up in those 10 years, like 2.6 to 2.8 %

That's a ban. They have a similar bans in the works constantly. Why if it is worthless? Look at VA, dunces.

Use the laws we already have. For instance very few report to NICS/FBI as required. Which is why people can go to a gunstore and buy, like the EX AF guy mass shooter (tx I think) He was a BCD, can't buy one but AF never reported him? Why not? One fed agency to another, take 2 minutes. People go into nutward lockups released and never reported? That's problems, bans won't solve.

and again, those 90% don't understand the issue....the only reason you want Universal Background Checks, since they don't stop criminals or mass shooters from getting guns, is to have the ground set to demand gun registration..

That is the only reason for Universal Background checks since criminals easily get around all background checks by using straw buyers who can pass any background check, or they steal their guns....

If they knowingly sell to a criminal, they can already be arrested and jailed...we don't need universal background checks to do that....when you catch a criminal, you ask him where he got his guns......just like we do for illegal drugs.....

There is no rational reason for Universal Background Checks....the only reason you want them, and you are dishonest in saying otherwise, is to get gun registration for normal gun owners...so later, once you have the political power you can ban them...

No I am absolutely not.

There is problems with a TOTAL universal check. Biggest is NICS can't handle what they do not, they are always down.

Would it help if I was to do a background check to sell my nephew a rifle when we got chiraq and other bad cities steal and sell? They aren't gonna do nics. Come on, how does one stop that crap?

Bulldog doesn't care.....they need Universal Background Checks so they are then positioned to demand gun registration....

I am unaware of any obligation for an individual seller to know or find out the staus of a buyer. Can you quote that rule or give a link? If that is true, it might change my mind on the subject.

I'll see if I can find it for you. Came from many many years of BATFe compliance checks in my business (yearly). Always wanted all ygunz, even personal firearms in my bound book for that reason. Always threatened me "If you sell to a pot dealer etc" I'm not lying to you, it's real but will look for some more info. I lived it as a dealer.

No I am absolutely not.

If you know your nephew (some don't know much about their relatives) and are willing to vouch for him and accept responsibility for an illegal sale if he is found to be unable to own a gun, I see no reason why you should have to do a background check. I have no problem if a seller vouches for any buyer if he is willing to take responsibility for the sale. My problem comes when the seller knows nothing about the buyer, and there is no obligation or responsibility for the seller. to even know the buyer's name.

No I am absolutely not.

If you know your nephew (some don't know much about their relatives) and are willing to vouch for him and accept responsibility for an illegal sale if he is found to be unable to own a gun, I see no reason why you should have to do a background check. I have no problem if a seller vouches for any buyer if he is willing to take responsibility for the sale. My problem comes when the seller knows nothing about the buyer, and there is no obligation or responsibility for the seller. to even know the buyer's name.

And that is the lie...sure...we don't mind if you know the buyer, we don't really care about that...just give us Universal Background Checks and it will all be O.K........

Then, they get put out a Universal Background Check that does even more....how do I know......?

Textual analysis of HR8, bill to "To require a background check for every firearm sale"

Summary

HR8 requires that loans, gifts, and sales of firearms be processed by a gun store. The same fees, paperwork, and permanent record-keeping apply as to buying a new gun from the store.

If you loan a gun to a friend without going to the gun store, the penalty is the same as for knowingly selling a gun to a convicted violent felon.

Likewise, when the friend returns the gun, another trip to the gun store is necessary, upon pain of felony.

A clever trick in HR8 effectively bans handguns for persons 18-to20.

The bill has some narrow exemptions. The minuscule exemption for self-defense does not cover stalking victims. None of the exemptions cover farming and ranching, sharing guns on almost all public and private lands, or storing guns with friends while on vacation. The limited exemption for family excludes first cousins and in-laws.

The bill authorizes unlimited fees to be imposed by
regulation.
-----

The narrowness of the self-defense exemption endangers domestic violence victims. For example, a former domestic partner threatens a woman and her children. An attack might come in the next hour, or the next month, or never. The victim and her children cannot know. Because the attack is uncertain—and is certainly not "immediate"—the woman cannot borrow a handgun from a neighbor for her defense. Many domestic violence victims do not have several hundred spare dollars so that they can buy their own gun. Sometimes, threats are manifested at night, when gun stores are not open.
-------

HR8 requires almost all firearms sales and loans to be conducted by a federally-licensed dealer. Because federal law prohibits licensed dealers from transferring handguns to persons under 21 years, HR8 prevents young adults from acquiring handguns. This is a clever way to enact a handgun ban indirectly.

HR8 would prohibit a 20-year-old woman who lives on her own from acquiring a handgun for self-defense in her home, such as by buying it from a relative or borrowing it from a friend.
-----

Exorbitant fees may be imposed by regulation

"(3)(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the Attorney General may implement this sub-section with regulations."

"(D) Regulations promulgated under this paragraph may not include any provision placing a cap on the fee licensees may charge to facilitate transfers in accordance with paragraph (1)."

Regulators may set a minimum fee, but not "a cap on a fee." The Attorney General is allowed to require that every gun store charge a fee of $30, $50, $150, or more. Even a $20 fee can be a hard burden to a poor person.

------
Family members

You can make a "a loan or bona fide gift" to some family members. In-laws and cousins are excluded.

The family exemption vanishes if one family member pays the other in any way. If a brother trades an extra shotgun to his sister in exchange for her extra television, both of them have to go to a gun store. Their exchange will have all the fees and paperwork as if she were buying a gun from the store.

Safe storage discouraged

Consider a person who will be away from home for an extended period: a member of the armed services being deployed overseas, a person going away to school, a person going on a long vacation, or a person evacuating her home due to a natural disaster. Such persons might wish to store firearms with a trusted neighbor or friend. This type of storage should be encouraged. Guns are less likely to be stolen by burglars, and then sold into the black market, if they are kept in an occupied home rather than left in a house that will be unoccupied.

But under HR8, neighbor A can only store neighbor B's guns if both persons go to a gun store, fill out extensive paperwork for each and every gun to be stored, pay per-gun fees to the government and the gun store, and then repeat the process when the firearms are returned. As a result, many fewer people will go through all the trouble.

So more guns will be left in unoccupied dwellings; they will be at greater risk of being stolen and thus of being supplied to the criminal black market. Discouraging safe storage is among the ways HR8 harms public safety.

Forum List

Back