Bill Maher Says Obamacare Is So Screwed Up That It Makes Health Care Worse

I usually start to fade away trying to pay attention to economic issues. I don't even try when the ACA comes up.

Only solution for healthcare is the government pays for everything top to bottom - free universal healthcare. OR, massive cuts to everyone taxes. But if you wanna tax your citizens, isn't ensuring they can work so as to pay those taxes in yoru own best interest? Similarly, isn't taxing them AND forcing them to buy insurance just screwing them over twice?
Both the tax code and healthcare in the US is totally screwed up, no question. Obamacare was the wrong way to try to fix healthcare COSTS. I emphasize costs because that is what the real problem is. Poor people in my state already had access to

I usually start to fade away trying to pay attention to economic issues. I don't even try when the ACA comes up.

Only solution for healthcare is the government pays for everything top to bottom - free universal healthcare. OR, massive cuts to everyone taxes. But if you wanna tax your citizens, isn't ensuring they can work so as to pay those taxes in yoru own best interest? Similarly, isn't taxing them AND forcing them to buy insurance just screwing them over twice?
Both the tax code and healthcare in the US is totally screwed up, no question. Obamacare was the wrong way to try to fix healthcare COSTS. I emphasize costs because that is what the real problem is. Poor people in my state already had access to
Healthcare through state funded programs. So to completely rewrite the healthcare law to cover 10% of the population was totally misguided. We have drug companies making obscene profits on drugs and non-profit hospital administrators living like Kings. Addess those problems first before you turn a healthcare system on it's head.

Well duh!!! It's nice of maher to catch up to what the people in country has known for a long time. He couldn't take the time to research it six years ago?
True. The whole idea was to keep the public in the dark and feed them rhetoric.

Of course it was. Gruber came right out and told us that and you can just imagine how they were laughing that they sold that line, My administration will be the most transparent ever and people actually fell for it..

When Pelosi said you had to PASS the pos bill in order to see what's in it. Every American citizen should of been up in arms and protesting on hers and Obamas doorsteps. but they just yawned and now we are paying for growing more government with this MONSTER of an Entitlement in a time we couldn't afford it. they stepped over the people who are Republicans and their representation in Congress and shoved it down our throats anyway
When Congress failed to pass gun legislation following Sandy Hook, bama said it was "inconceivable" that Congress would go against the will of the people. However, he had no such qualms when Congress gave him his little healthcare bill. It's a measure of the man as a leader that he had to lie about and hide the facts of this bill in his failure to sell it to the people. Legislating is bit harder than community organizing apparently.

We are pretty much doomed because the citizens aren't engaged in politics in this day and age. and Especially the Democrat base. They should have been just as upset over how they lied and laughed about how if THEY the people wanted to know what was in the bill. basically saying to them, tough shit you don't have a right to know what's in it. then they needed to get behind them and pass it.. Back even 30 years ago the people would have wanted to storm the white house with pitch forks they talked like that to them.

One of the primary driving forces with increasing health care costs was government involvement, there's a LOT of red tape involved compared to Canada, for example. No shopping across state lines meant many states (like here) added tons of bullshit to providers equalizing fees for healthy people and unhealthy people. Plus the high cost of litigation. Fixing those would have worked wonders for the system.

One of the primary driving forces with increasing health care costs was government involvement, there's a LOT of red tape involved compared to Canada, for example. No shopping across state lines meant many states (like here) added tons of bullshit to providers equalizing fees for healthy people and unhealthy people. Plus the high cost of litigation. Fixing those would have worked wonders for the system.

It would have helped, but by far the biggest issue is the delusional expectations of health care consumers - particularly our continuing gullibility in falling for the sales pitch that health insurance makes health care "more affordable" (while it does the opposite). The thing is, that delusion would e self-correcting if not for tax and regulatory policies manipulated to promote more and more insurance coverage, now to the point of mandating it outright.

And that's definitely been a result of "government involvement". Without such policies we'd have, eventually, recognized that too much insurance is worse than none, and reigned in our expectations along with health care costs.

Well from the beginning I thought that the ACA was some a monster hybrid of public health insurance and for-profit healthcare.

There are two already well treaded paths, that function quite well - either a fully private healthcare system with subsidies, or a universal healthcare system akin to France, the UK, or Japan. America got stuck with a lemon.

Y

Yeah...cause everybody knows government works really really well...like you know....really...well...dude.

"Fact is, regardless how great liberals claim Obamacare is, it was intentionally written to be so destructive that the only solution will be to go to agovernment run single-payer system."

Lol where do you people come up with this crap? Just because something sounds like it makes sense, it doesn't mean it is actually rooted in reality.

The concept of ObamaCare was invented by republicans. How typical you people continue to ignore that fact.

Lol where do you people come up with this crap? Just because something sounds like it makes sense, it doesn't mean it is actually rooted in reality.

The concept of ObamaCare was invented by republicans. How typical you people continue to ignore that fact.
HillaryCare didn't come before any Republican proposal?

Speaking of HillaryCare back then the people stood together and threw it right back in their faces and said OH HELL NO. and they dropped it until they could put the thug Obama in office and used his skin color to scream racism every time someone opposed his "vision" he had for us.

Now look what we have.

"Fact is, regardless how great liberals claim Obamacare is, it was intentionally written to be so destructive that the only solution will be to go to agovernment run single-payer system."

How typical....
When the left is proud of OCare it was all because of Democrats
When the left wants to admit OCare is full of problems it was a Republican idea....

Well duh!!! It's nice of maher to catch up to what the people in country has known for a long time. He couldn't take the time to research it six years ago?
True. The whole idea was to keep the public in the dark and feed them rhetoric.

There has definitely been a change in Americans in the last 30 years both in involvement in the political process and even sadder to me the debate of issues confronting us today. I actually downloaded the ACA bill and attempted to read it. I'm not a lawyer but I write technical documents and procedures among other things so I figured I should be able to understand it. Wrong! It has no organization or flow it is just one long string of special case for this and that and empowering the Health Secretary to do whatever the hell he or she wants. It is an absolute joke of a law, those 2400 pages of legalease will keep lawyers swimming in money for the next 100 years.

Of course it was. Gruber came right out and told us that and you can just imagine how they were laughing that they sold that line, My administration will be the most transparent ever and people actually fell for it..

When Pelosi said you had to PASS the pos bill in order to see what's in it. Every American citizen should of been up in arms and protesting on hers and Obamas doorsteps. but they just yawned and now we are paying for growing more government with this MONSTER of an Entitlement in a time we couldn't afford it. they stepped over the people who are Republicans and their representation in Congress and shoved it down our throats anyway
When Congress failed to pass gun legislation following Sandy Hook, bama said it was "inconceivable" that Congress would go against the will of the people. However, he had no such qualms when Congress gave him his little healthcare bill. It's a measure of the man as a leader that he had to lie about and hide the facts of this bill in his failure to sell it to the people. Legislating is bit harder than community organizing apparently.

We are pretty much doomed because the citizens aren't engaged in politics in this day and age. and Especially the Democrat base. They should have been just as upset over how they lied and laughed about how if THEY the people wanted to know what was in the bill. basically saying to them, tough shit you don't have a right to know what's in it. then they needed to get behind them and pass it.. Back even 30 years ago the people would have wanted to storm the white house with pitch forks they talked like that to them.

How typical....
When the left wants to admit OCare is full of problems it was a Republican idea....

Oh, I see. If someone disagrees with you then they are labeled Liberal. Newsflash: I am a Moderate and don't just pull either the R or the D lever. We decide elections. Be careful that your proposed candidates don't voice what you are voicing. They may think it but never voice it. It cost Romney the election.

How typical....
I never said it was full of problems. I think most of it is good. Not all, but most. I too would like single payer however.

It would have helped, but by far the biggest issue is the delusional expectations of health care consumers - particularly our continuing gullibility in falling for the sales pitch that health insurance makes health care "more affordable" (while it does the opposite). The thing is, that delusion would e self-correcting if not for tax and regulatory policies manipulated to promote more and more insurance coverage, now to the point of mandating it outright.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

If health insurance, as it is utilized today, is such a great thing, why not grocery insurance? Let the insurance company pay for your food. How about electricity insurance? How about cable insurance?

Bill Maher has turned on Obamacare and claims that the solution is single-payer. Fact is, regardless how great liberals claim Obamacare is, it was intentionally written to be so destructive that the only solution will be to go to a government run single-payer system.
ahh, if only this were true. Sweet Jesus, it would be a miracle

back in 2008...

Sick Around The World FRONTLINE PBS

Five Capitalist Democracies How They Do It Sick Around The World FRONTLINE PBS

Interviews - Interviews Sick Around The World FRONTLINE PBS

One of the things really striking for Americans is that under LAMal, you now say the insurance companies can't make a profit on basic coverage. What's the thinking there?

The idea is very simple: If it is a social insurance, and everybody is obliged to be a member of a health insurance system, you can't ask them to pay so that the shareholders get a better revenue. It is a little the same, if I can compare with SBB, our railway system. We are very attached to the railway system; Switzerland is a country of railway. ... I think that the people wouldn't [have] agreed to privatize the railways [as] it is done now in Great Britain. To think that they can [make] a profit on the railway system, it [would] be against equality in this matter.

Naturally, you can question that, ... but till now we were able to afford a good railway system, to improve it and to have a high quality in transportation. ... We want also high quality for everybody in the health system, and after that you can earn more money than your neighbor. ... School, health care, railway system, aging, to have a good place for nursing homes for old people, retired people, we think that we must have equality of that -- not quite complete equality, it is impossible, but to have a great sense of solidarity among the people.​

Bill Maher has turned on Obamacare and claims that the solution is single-payer. Fact is, regardless how great liberals claim Obamacare is, it was intentionally written to be so destructive that the only solution will be to go to a government run single-payer system.
ahh, if only this were true. Sweet Jesus, it would be a miracle

Here's a child in desperate need of mental modifications!

Forum List

Back