Bill Would Require State Approval to Homeschool

I would assume that the average parent does not have a master's degree and teaching certification to teach

alegbra, trigonometry, geometry, pre-calculus, American history, World history, biology, earth science, chemistry, American literature, English literature, French or Spanish or Latin,

etc.

just to cite an incomplete list of the kind of courses a student takes in high school.

My uncle could teach HS-level (and probably college-level) physics, trig, and geometry. He taught me algebra, after a truly-worthless teacher failed to do so.

He did not finish seventh grade and is almost entirely self-educated.

lol, of course he is.

I think your amazing propensity for just happening to have a personal anecdotal example of something that supposedly refutes the point is well known.

btw, what percent of parents out there do you suppose are self-taught brilliant scholars of advanced mathematics?

Give me a ballpark figure. Let's say, over or under one half of one percent?

lol

I have no idea...but I have never met a serious competitive shooter who ISN'T well-versed in physics & geometry, most are at least passingly-familiar with trig. Never met a tradesman (carpenter, roofer, floor-installer, framer) who isn't an expert in geometry. Most machinists are pretty good with geometry (and, of course, metallurgy).

My uncle is a competitive rifle & pistol shooter & a (retired) machinist and mechanic. What he lacks in formal education he more than makes up for in common sense and real-world experience.

I would assume that the average parent does not have a master's degree and teaching certification to teach

alegbra, trigonometry, geometry, pre-calculus, American history, World history, biology, earth science, chemistry, American literature, English literature, French or Spanish or Latin,

etc.

just to cite an incomplete list of the kind of courses a student takes in high school.

My uncle could teach HS-level (and probably college-level) physics, trig, and geometry. He taught me algebra, after a truly-worthless teacher failed to do so.

My uncle never finished high school either. He worked on a loading dock his whole life. He did not know shit about physics, trig or geometry

I would not want him to homeschool

Were you trying to make a point or just posting the text version of what pigeons do on a parked car?

My uncle never finished high school either. He worked on a loading dock his whole life. He did not know shit about physics, trig or geometry

I would not want him to homeschool

On the other hand, a degree from Self-taught Uncle University might be at least as valuable as one from Regent University, or Bob Jones.

He could walk into any truck repair shop or machine shop in the country and get hired on that day. That's worth a hell of a lot more than most degrees.

etc.

None of which ensures a "good" teacher.

That's a rather transparent attempt to dodge my point without appearing to do so.

I love my parents, but they could never have taught me advanced mathematics in my senior year in HS in any manner comparable to the actual teacher I had.

I never dodge :)

Your position assumes that an education makes a good teacher, it does not.

The majority of the far right who home school are installing robotic hive thought in their little schoolers.

I don't care if you teach Creationism or ID as long as your student can also competently and objectively discuss Darwin and evolution, able to make the argument for it.

Same way with the Civil War, for example.

If home schooling is not instilling critical thinking principles along with parental propaganda, then a case for state regulation has certainly been made.

Repeating the same stupid assertion does not make said stupid assertion less stupid, only more annoying. Source it or shut the hell up, boy!

How is the state to regulate thought?

With public schools.

bripat is anarchist is the only explanation needed here.

Frankly I was really interested in YOUR answer since you seem to believe state regulation is a necessity.

If home schooling is not instilling critical thinking principles along with parental propaganda, then a case for state regulation has certainly been made.

If public schools could regulate thought, then the results of public education are certainly lagging.

Last edited:
In principle (only)

should parents be allowed to homeschool a child against the child's will?

Bringing in the "child's will" seems disingenous to me. It doesn't matter which side of the debate raises this point. Almost every child being schooled (home/private/public) is being schooled against his will. Honestly, how many children do you know that would choose to go to school?

The Child's "will" has no place in the decision, the parents will is what matters.

Last edited:
Homeschooling is the last bastion of controlling parents who are frightened their children will think for themselves. The problem is that facts support a liberal agenda and we can't have children learning anything that doesn't have a conservative slant. They can't be exposed to races or religions, other than those of their parents. We must keep them safe from ideas their parents don't agree with.

My children had a broad public school education. Their politics, religion, and ideas don't always agree with mine and I'm OK with that. I raised them to think for themselves and to always, always question what they've been told by government and other authority figures. I'm proud of their ability to think for themselves, even if we don't always agree.

Wow...what a jaw-droippingly stupid pile of BS!

Any government has the right to regulate a public interest when adults, including parents, intrude on it.

Says the self proclaimed "mainstream republican".

Too funny.

Who are the mainstream republicans who don't believe the government has any right to regulate education?

Any government has the right to regulate a public interest when adults, including parents, intrude on it.

Wasn't what he said pops.

The majority of the far right who home school are installing robotic hive thought in their little schoolers.

I don't care if you teach Creationism or ID as long as your student can also competently and objectively discuss Darwin and evolution, able to make the argument for it.

Same way with the Civil War, for example.

Prove it piss ant.

Of wait, you can't.

Homeschooling is the last bastion of controlling parents who are frightened their children will think for themselves. The problem is that facts support a liberal agenda and we can't have children learning anything that doesn't have a conservative slant. They can't be exposed to races or religions, other than those of their parents. We must keep them safe from ideas their parents don't agree with.

My children had a broad public school education. Their politics, religion, and ideas don't always agree with mine and I'm OK with that. I raised them to think for themselves and to always, always question what they've been told by government and other authority figures. I'm proud of their ability to think for themselves, even if we don't always agree.

or the logorrheic variation of just saying - I put my kids into the hands of the government so I could not be bothered with the task of bringing them up :lol:

Actually, the BS is homeschool parents are only concerned with the quality of education

They are terrified their children may interact with black, Hispanic, poor and those with different religious beliefs

Doesn't happen when you homeschool does it?

Actually, the BS is homeschool parents are only concerned with the quality of education

They are terrified their children may interact with black, Hispanic, poor and those with different religious beliefs

:cuckoo:

of course it does.

did the public school system make you so intellectually challenged or you were born that way?

If you worked on it, you could sound a little more misinformed and prejudiced about the types of families who homeschool and their reasons for it.

If you worked on it, you could sound a little more misinformed and prejudiced about the types of families who homeschool and their reasons for it.

When I was a kid, there was a kid in our neighborhood who wasn't allowed to watch TV, couldn't play with him unless his mama was watching, had every minute of his day accounted for

We had a name for parents like that.....asshole
Now they call them .....Homeschool

In addition to the charitable work my brother's socially conscious homeschooled kids do, they'll also be more experienced in computer programming than most children are because of how important my brother considers programming literacy.

If there are any subjects the kids want or need and my brother and sister-in-law can't teach them, they'll arrange for the kids to have classes at a local school, perhaps a college. That's where the kids who want piano lessons go.

They also spend a lot of time at museums and doing activities with other homeschooled kids.

Last edited:

When I was a kid, there was a kid in our neighborhood who wasn't allowed to watch TV, couldn't play with him unless his mama was watching, had every minute of his day accounted for

We had a name for parents like that.....asshole
Now they call them .....Homeschool

If you have such disdain for @ssholes, why do you act like one?

In addition to the charitable work my brother's socially conscious homeschooled kids do, they'll also be more experienced in computer programming than most children are because of how important my brother considers programming literacy.

If there are any subjects the kids want or need and my brother and sister-in-law can't teach them, they'll arrange for the kids to have classes at a local school, perhaps a college. That's where the kids who want piano lessons go.

They also spend a lot of time at museums and doing activities with other homeschooled kids.

Activities with other homeschool kids.......I got it

Forum List

Back