Christian friends of gays and lesbians

you can call it whatever you want

Why don't religious people fighting tooth and nail to let gay couples call marriage "marriage" because of its so-called religious roots....why aren't they fighting tooth and nail against Atheists who call it "marriage"?

Can someone answer that one for me? I thought it was a faith owned word.

that's where you're fucked up---"marriage" has crept into secular life after centuries. You're taking on way more than the religious people when you try to change a word

No one wants to change the word, we just want to use it.

Blame the idiots who insist on demanding it be called marriage.

Okay? I have to ask this, how does their insisting on calling it marriage affect either one of these scenarios?

Those scenarios would have happened even if the issue of gay marriage was not such a hot topic.

Immie

It's made a big difference to me and my partner and our spiritual community to be married and to call ourselves that.

It means we're family.

My family is as valid as yours.

No, my point is that those three scenarios presented by Bodecea would have happened regardless of whether or not gay marriage was a hot issue right now. She would have been treated the same way she was even if this was not such a divisive issue today.

How are the people who are demanding that it be called marriage responsible for those three events that happened in Bodecea's life? They are not.

Both you and Bodecea are married. But, the government and banks and other institutions will not recognize your marriage. You, Sky Dancer, would face the same discriminatory acts that Bodecea faced in similar situations.

It was not because of any gay marriage activism that those things happened to Bodecea. They would have happened regardless of whether or not gay marriage was an issue today.

Also, I did not say your family was not as valid as mine. Didn't even imply it.

Immie

if the rights are the same why do you care if they have different titles ?

If the rights are the same I don't care.

Currently there is a world of difference between a het marriage and a domestic partnership. There's a difference between my marriage and a het marriage.

You are right about that, but my entire point in this discussion has been that I believe the state should license all couples as civil unions regardless of sexual orientation giving exactly the same rights and privileges to all couples.

It is not up to the state to discriminate.

So, I have to ask why have you been giving me a rash of shit for several days about this?

Immie

I haven't.

If the rights are the same I don't care.

Currently there is a world of difference between a het marriage and a domestic partnership. There's a difference between my marriage and a het marriage.

You are right about that, but my entire point in this discussion has been that I believe the state should license all couples as civil unions regardless of sexual orientation giving exactly the same rights and privileges to all couples.

So, I have to ask why have you been giving me a rash of shit for several days about this?

Immie

I haven't.

You have got to be kidding me! You haven't?

Both you and Bod have been and what sucks about that is that I feel like I have been on your side of the issue.

I agree with you, both, homosexual couples are treated unfairly and that needs to change. It is not right for the government to play favorites.

I simply make the statement that marriage is and has always been a Rite of the Church and make the rather decent request that the state not be in the marriage business at all, but issue civil contracts to all couples, gay or straight, that provide the legal benefits that today's married couples enjoy to all, yet leaves the church out of the civil aspects of relationships. I have not once stated that churches should not be allowed to provide marriage ceremonies to homosexual couples and a couple of times, I made the statement that I hoped my church would change its ways in such a regard, but I seem to be the bad guy for saying all of that.

It simply doesn't make sense. I was probably safer on the other side when I first got into this issue, years ago, when I said gay marriage? Hell No! ;)

Immie

Last edited:
Why are Atheists who do not believe in religion or god allowed to call their unions "marriage" without a peep?

I would like an answer to that question.

Why don't religious people fighting tooth and nail to let gay couples call marriage "marriage" because of its so-called religious roots....why aren't they fighting tooth and nail against Atheists who call it "marriage"?

Would you STOP clumping ''religious people'' and ''Christian people'' together as a whole as being against you?? It is getting old..and getting offensive.
I mean how many times are you going to say it?
Bod..I do not care WHAT you call it...nor do I care if you marry. Any form or fashion.
It is not for me to judge.
So PLEASE STOP CLUMPING us all together. Okay?

Immie

I haven't.

Both you and Bod have been and what sucks about that is that I feel like I have been on your side of the issue.

I agree with you, both, homosexual couples are treated unfairly and that needs to change. It is not right for the government to play favorites.

I simply make the statement that marriage is and has always been a Rite of the Church and make the rather decent request that the state not be in the marriage business at all, but issue civil contracts to all couples, gay or straight, that provide the legal benefits that today's married couples enjoy to all, yet leaves the church out of the civil aspects of relationships. I have not once stated that churches should not be allowed to provide marriage ceremonies to homosexual couples and a couple of times, I made the statement that I hoped my church would change its ways in such a regard, but I seem to be the bad guy for saying all of that.

It simply doesn't make sense. I was probably safer on the other side when I first got into this issue, years ago, when I said gay marriage? Hell No! ;)

Immie

Immie

People get married in their faith traidtion. We dont' all marry in a Church. I don't called my Buddhist Center a church. It's a Lhakang, a Gonpa.

You keep insisiting that Church is paramount. That would be fine if we lived in a Christian theocracy. We don't.

Now I've come a long way and agreed with you about making the legal contract say civil unions for all couples who would formerly be called 'married'.

You suggested the religous groups keep the term marriage. I can live with that. My spiritual community is supportive of my family.

Would you STOP clumping ''religious people'' and ''Christian people'' together as a whole as being against you?? It is getting old..and getting offensive.
Bod..I do not care WHAT you call it...nor do I care if you marry. Any form or fashion.
What shall we call the Christians or religous people who organize against marriage equality? Does Relgious Right work for you?

What shall we call the Christians or religous people who organize against marriage equality?

That is not what I said. I said stop clumping them all together as one. Every Christian, or religious person does not feel that way to begin with. There are almost 700 posts in this thread alone.

What shall we call the Christians or religous people who organize against marriage equality? Does Relgious Right work for you?

Not even a little bit. You think only people on the right are Christians? You think people on the right are the only religious people?
News flash..I know TONS on the left which also are Christians, or religious. I also know them on the left which are anti-gay...and or anti-gay marriage.
You are offended....can you possibly see where I might be also?

What shall we call the Christians or religous people who organize against marriage equality?

That is not what I said. I said stop clumping them all together as one. Every Christian, or religious person does not feel that way to begin with. There are almost 700 posts in this thread alone.

I'm asking you what do you want us to call the people who are organizing against marriage equality in great numbers and who happen to be Christian?

I'm asking you what do you want us to call the people who are organizing against marriage equality in great numbers and who happen to be Christian?

Why is a label so important?

I haven't.

Immie

Immie

People get married in their faith traidtion. We dont' all marry in a Church. I don't called my Buddhist Center a church. It's a Lhakang, a Gonpa.

You keep insisiting that Church is paramount. That would be fine if we lived in a Christian theocracy. We don't.

Now I've come a long way and agreed with you about making the legal contract say civil unions for all couples who would formerly be called 'married'.

You suggested the religous groups keep the term marriage. I can live with that. My spiritual community is supportive of my family.

I already defined "church" earlier in this thread.

I defined "church" as a religious institution, not as a Christian house of worship.

Immie

Seriously? I do not know what to tell you. I can't stop you from calling them anything.
I am just letting you know that you guys are clumping all people that are either religious, or Christian together. It is wrong IMO. There are also people which have no faith...meaning not a Christian and not religious that are against gays.
I dunno Sky..it FEELS like Christian bashing...and after so many posts, so many threads, it gets offensive.

Why is a label so important?

It's just a convenience.

How about you call them "People who differ in opinion from you."

...or does that not quite fit your plan of blanket demonizing those who don't agree with your opinions?

It's just a convenience.

Seems pretty lazy to me.

Yes it is lazy. It takes alot of work to type out Family Research Council, Christian Coalition, Focus on the Family, Coral Ridge Minsteries, Roman Catholic Church, Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and the mega churches etc etc etc

I'd be willing to bet a lot of people you're targeting don't belong to any of those groups.

Forum List

Back