Friday will be a bad day to be hungry.

Yes..there was a Queen in France that thought that way too.

She said something about cake..and letting the poor eat that.

Didn't turn out to well.

Because she was part of a government that was taking money from people who had earned it. There was a big picture there and you don't have it.

You mean like CEOs, Hedge fund managers, Bankers, and Republican Senators?

Physician, heal thyself. :eusa_shifty:

There is a slight difference between people buying something and the government putting a gun to their heads and demanding it. If I have to explain it I will have to admit that our school system is actually as bad as you think it is.

What a pompous ass Penn Gillette is.. beating up strawmen seems to be his forte.

NOBODY thinks its "compassion" to vote for a government that helps its CITIZENS.

Its enlightened SELF INTEREST to see to it that everybody in your nation is doing as well as possible.

That DOES seem to be the one thing most of our resident libertarians cannot quite fathom: the whole POINT of government is to help citizens because when you neighbors do well, so do YOU.

You are totally wrong.
Our Federal Government is suppose to defend the U.S.A. and protect our freedoms, not give out taxpayer money for social programs. That is up to the States, if the majority in that State wants to do so.
Most SNAP recipients will have to cut back on the Pop, candy and snacks, plus the lobsters, and expensive steaks.
No one is going to starve or die.
When you become dependent on Government programs you lose the ability to take care of yourself and your family.
This is a cut over 10 years and will not effect Seniors or School lunch programs.

About the November 1 SNAP/Food Stamp Benefit Reduction « Food Research & Action Center

In the last 4 years this program has gotten out of control and needed to be reined in.

How do you come up with this?

You should read our Constitution.

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Section 8.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;--And

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.
Government does a lot more than "defend the USA" and "protect our freedoms" (Whatever that means).

Have a gander. :lol:

What, specifically, do you think supports your position? Even if we assume the preamble is actually part of the Constitution, which would mean overturning Jacobson v Mass, you can't defend your assertion that the government is about enlightened self interest.

And what's crazy?

Pick up a book.

Historically, laissez-faire capitalism has translated into monopoly, political cronyism, huge disparity in wages, bust and boom economies, a concentration in wealth and overall misery for most people in this very country.

It's never worked.

It never will work.

It's like saying, "Oh just let that fire go uncontrolled, it will figure itself out."

We used to be based on free market and it has worked. We need to get back to that system.
Free Market Capitalism has raised more people out of poverty than any other system in the world.

Starved to death???

When did you ask that?

Moving goal posts I see.

And what? You want Americans to starve to death? You mean Americans actually have to die?

Who are you? Arizona Governor Jan Brewer?

Post #307. You replied to the post but didn't answer. You learned Liberal rhetoric 101 well from Professor Bill Clinton, didn't you?

I answered fine, Ernie.

She asked how many people were starving..not starving to death.

I reckon most people on the food stamp program aren't there because they are getting everything they need.

Hence, they need food.

Ebenezer..

47 million people are not starving because they spend a dime less on a meal than they did last moth. In fact, even if they skipped an entire meal they wouldn't be starving. They probably wouldn't even have a mild hunger pang.

Awhile back, a 'put me in charge' e-mail was being widely circulated and it started out:

PUT ME IN CHARGE . . .

Put me in charge of food stamps. I'd get rid of Lone Star cards; no cash for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's, just money for 50-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese and all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want steak and frozen pizza, then get a job.

Would ya'll go for that? Use food stamps for rice, beans, cheese, powdered milk, and maybe baby food and baby formula ONLY? Nobody would starve and it wouldn't take a whole lot of money to provide that.

Add some fruits and vegetables and I would go for that.

Because she was part of a government that was taking money from people who had earned it. There was a big picture there and you don't have it.

There is a slight difference between people buying something and the government putting a gun to their heads and demanding it. If I have to explain it I will have to admit that our school system is actually as bad as you think it is.
So, if the government is putting a gun to our heads for this kind of funding, even though our government voted on it in a democratic representation process...

Wouldn't the government aso be putting a gun to our head for every single bit of spending they make, even if done through the representative democratic process, under YOUR terms?

And if they are one and the same, where both being the gvt putting a gun to our heads, do you ever state such about non-welfare type programs? Basically, where do you stand on all of the gvt's spending?

You do under stand what "or" means right?

I deal with it all the time in scripting.

or1
ôr/
conjunction
conjunction: or

used to link alternatives.
"a cup of tea or coffee"
introducing a synonym or explanation of a preceding word or phrase.
"the espionage novel, or, as it is known in the trade, the thriller"
otherwise (used to introduce the consequences of something not being done or not being the case).
"hurry up, or you'll miss it all"
introducing an afterthought, usually in the form of a question.
"John's indifference—or was it?—left her unsettled"
literary
either.
"to love is the one way to know or God or man"

noun
Electronics
noun: OR; noun: or; plural noun: ors

a Boolean operator that gives the value one if at least one operand (or input) has a value of one, and otherwise has a value of zero.
a circuit that gives an output signal if there is a signal on any of its inputs.
modifier noun: OR; noun: OR gate; plural noun: OR gates

Origin
Both conditions are generally and most often exclusive to each other.

Starving can cause suffering and it does. Almost always.
Starving can cause dying and it does. But not always. And not usually.

But starving can cause suffering OR death.

It doesn't have to be both.

So? What does that mean?

When you post "starve"? The implication isn't death. But it is suffering.

Let us leave out the word die, how many people are suffering from extreme or prolonged lack of food.

Last edited:
Congress beats up on the hungry - Chicago Sun-Times

Starting Friday, food stamp benefits will be trimmed back because a temporary boost from the 2009 stimulus bill is expiring. More than 47 million Americans — one in seven — will see less food on their plates. A family of four, for example, will get $36 less a month. That might not seem like much until you consider the average household monthly benefit is only $287. The Congressional Budget Office expects spending on food stamps in fiscal 2014 to fall by $5 billion.

As a result, the Illinois Hunger Coalition says, more than 2 million Illinois residents — including about 349,000 seniors and 886,000 children — will have to tighten their belts just as home heating bills are about to soar.

And it could just be a step on the way to more cuts. Both houses of Congress have passed bills that would further trim food stamps, technically known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. The House would cut food stamps by $4 billion a year and would tighten eligibility. The Senate bill would cut just $400 million. Talks on a compromise bill began Wednesday afternoon.

SNAP critics, alarmed that the government’s tab for food stamps has more than doubled since 2008 to almost $80 billion, say the program needs to be scaled back. But that’s not taking into account how many people are struggling financially. Although about 20 percent of the increase is due to the stimulus, which is ending, much of the rest is due to the struggling economy, as more people’s incomes drop to levels at which they qualify for aid.

I guess all I can say is I am glad my grandparents are dead, and nobody in my extended family is in need. I cannot think about those who will be affected. My government refuses to - so I can't.

I do hope everybody sees the disconnect between "this is a Christian nation" and "we are done feeding the hungry."

Nearly 1 Million Vets Face Food Stamps Cut | Military.com

About 900,000 veterans and 5,000 active duty troops face cuts in their food stamp benefits beginning Thursday as $5 billion is automatically trimmed from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) program for low-income families.

"The coming benefit cut will reduce SNAP benefits, which are already modest, for all households by 7 percent on average, or about $10 per person per month," according to an analysis by the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities.

"Nationwide, in any given month, a total of 900,000 veterans nationwide lived in households that relied on SNAP to provide food for their families in 2011," according to an analysis of census data, the Center's report said.

Anybody else wondering why corporate welfare is good, but helping our fellow Americans is bad?

Corporate welfare needs to end on all levels. Food stamps and other programs need to tighten up until we can balance a budget.

Research and education grants need to end, pell grants, small business grants, all need to go.

Tax breaks need to end, for corporations and everyone else.

We need to cut defense spending, and all government spending. This is the only way we can work on helping everyone.

So, if the government is putting a gun to our heads for this kind of funding, even though our government voted on it in a democratic representation process...

Wouldn't the government aso be putting a gun to our head for every single bit of spending they make, even if done through the representative democratic process, under YOUR terms?

And if they are one and the same, where both being the gvt putting a gun to our heads, do you ever state such about non-welfare type programs? Basically, where do you stand on all of the gvt's spending?

Do you really think it matters to the person on the business end of that gun how the guy holding it got there?

You know, if more thought like me relative to giving a chit about the rest of the world, or their neighbor for that fact, America would be better off.

Keep your own house in order and not worry about the Jones's

-Geaux

Yes..there was a Queen in France that thought that way too.

She said something about cake..and letting the poor eat that.

Didn't turn out to well.

All you have is lies? Why am I not surprised. Or did you think she said it when she was 9?

For the record, when Marie Antoinette was told about the starving peasants she donated her own money to help them. If she had been a real bitch she would have raised taxes on them to buy them food.

Wait, that is your solution, sorry.

:lol:

Yeah..and she was so beloved she lost her head over it.

People just love monarchies..which is why there are so many around today.

:cool:

Do you really think it matters to the person on the business end of that gun how the guy holding it got there?
I don't think most people on the business end of that proverbial gun are silly enough to actually believe a gun is being held to their head as you and a small minority 'feel'.....

you didn't answer my question...is ALL gvt spending holding a gun to our heads, or only the programs YOU disagree with?

so they put themselves in a box, when they had all the cards and they blew it, your next excuse is...... what?

and the rest? their coverage went up over 30% in 5 years, way ahead of inflation, now, they drop $11.....and?

Oh yes Trajan..and the economy wasn't on the edge of collapse while their were 2 wars ongoing while Republicans were holding meetings on the best way to get Obama out of Office and decided that obstruction was the best way to go.

It's unfortunate that one party (Yeah the Republicans) used Constitutional law and parliamentary procedure designed to assure that the minority party was not left out of the legislative process, to completely stop it.

That's pretty fucked up man. Given the heavy lift left by their President.

They could have at least pitched and helped. Instead they added to the weight.

another slobbering mitigation rant..gee thx. :rolleyes:

so again-

their coverage went up $112 in 4 years, way ahead of inflation, now, they drop $11.....and?

your objection is_________________________

And yet..not one denial that was exactly what happened.

My objection?

I don't like starving kids, old people, vets..or what the heck..people in general.

Food, shelter, water and medical care isn't to much to ask.

We spend around 52.00 to 54.00 a week in food.
We pay around 216.00 each month in food.

If we went on Foods stamps we would get more per month than what we actually spend.
Food stamps for 2 people 272.00 a month.

No one is going to starve with cuts in food stamps.
Check out table one.
A Quick Guide to SNAP Eligibility and Benefits ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

take a look at the increases, inflation was running at what? :rolleyes:

SNAP Benefits by Household Size
Household Size Maximum 1,2,3,4

Monthly Benefit Average
November 2013- September 2014 Fiscal Year 2011*
1 $200 $189 $153
2 $367 $347 $272
3 $526 $497 $397
4 $668 $632 $489

so the benefits for say a 1 person household were expanded 23.5%.....in 2 years?

Oh yes Trajan..and the economy wasn't on the edge of collapse while their were 2 wars ongoing while Republicans were holding meetings on the best way to get Obama out of Office and decided that obstruction was the best way to go.

It's unfortunate that one party (Yeah the Republicans) used Constitutional law and parliamentary procedure designed to assure that the minority party was not left out of the legislative process, to completely stop it.

so again-

their coverage went up $112 in 4 years, way ahead of inflation, now, they drop $11.....and?

My objection?

I don't like starving kids, old people, vets..or what the heck..people in general.

Shouldn't think so, really.

I'm at work right now.

And if I didn't pay taxes?

And the government collapse from lack of funding?

You'd be outta luck.

:eusa_shifty:

So you are paid to post on forums. OR you are stealing time from a private employer. Which is it? It could be either.

Um..I work in IT.

Alot of time spend here..is waiting for stuff to complete.

Not like you'd know anything about that.

I know about down time at work. I never worked where they would not fire your ass for playing around on a message board. If you are waiting on something to complete, you should find other work to do on your company's (or government's) time.

Last edited:

so again-

My objection?

what happened was, even when you had the power you could not get it all and had to *gasp* compromise, now you're squealing abut the compromise:lol: .........grow up.

I have asked several times , take your hand off the bell and read-

benefits were increased 23.5% in a 3 year span, if someone was going to get 200 they now get 189, so tell me how many people will 'starve'..that's the BS you and hot skillet like to use......

So you are paid to post on forums. OR you are stealing time from a private employer. Which is it? It could be either.

Um..I work in IT.

Alot of time spend here..is waiting for stuff to complete.

Not like you'd know anything about that.

I know about down time at work. I never worked where the would not fire your ass for playing around on a message board. If you are waiting on something to complete, you should find other work to do on your company's (or government's) time.

Not an option - or are you only talking to him, but not me, because I don't fit the scenario you're painting.

The Union Soldiers were occupying a fort in a foreign country.

For cryin' out loud, let it go. The Confederates were traitors who wrought unprecedented death and suffering for the sake of the evil institution of slavery. They lost, the Union was preserved, and the nation as a whole moved on and prospered as none other in history. It was a long time ago, and the traitors were crushed. That will not change no matter how many times people like you - for whatever Quixotic reason - try to rewrite history and gorge yourselves on ancient sour grapes. LET IT GO.

the disconnect here is we are not speaking in collective terms as in paying another 1% on property taxes or .25% sales tax. Whats going down here is as minute on the 'tax' or 'spend/fund' scale as it gets.

Forum List

Back