Hous Repblicns Wrong On Intrnet Sales Tax Bill!

It will have not impact on the 5 states that have no sales taxes. They don't receive tax revenue now from sales tax, they will not receive revenue afterward from sales tax.

>>>>

Yes, but forty-five other states will get all this new revenue from a federal law that five will not. So you've now got a law that treats five states unfairly.

It's not "new revenue", it's revenue that is currently owed. The difference is that it will be collected at the time of sale instead of using the honor system. Imagine if you will that a State said, sales tax will not be collected by merchants any longer. All citizens are expected to simply remit any tax owed on items purchased by writing a check and sending it to the states taxing authority on a monthly basis. Think that would work well?

Those states are not treated unfairly, they choose a different revenue stream (other than sales transactions). They are free to maintain those systems if it works for them. They can also implement a sales tax and comply with the interstate commerce requirements and join the other 45. They choice is theirs.

>>>>

They aren't getting it now, so that makes it new, despite your idiotic attempt to claim that it ain't fair.

I hope liberals realize this tax hurts the poor more than the rich. It is the same % for everyone regardless of income.

This tax helps the poor by retaining jobs in brick and mortar stores.

Why give preferential treatment to cyber mouse clicks?

Fuck that shit.

If you want to exempt internet sales from sales taxes, then also do away with point-of-sale taxes.

It hurts the poor when they can get things cheaper?

Somebody needs to tell House Republicans that their job is to do the right thing when it comes to voting on bills and it is a no brainer that the right thing is that this bill become law.

What part is a no brainer?? are you suggesting they should pass all bills presented?? Or just the ones you like?

We give enough money to and states,there is a huge difference between need and want.
What?

You think it is a no-brainer that small mom and pop I-net businesses should have to be subjected to 1000+ tax authorities to prove they never had a sale to a specific region or tax authority while giving the so called 'harmed' brick and mortar business who has to pay taxes on ONLY ONE tax authority a fair deal?

Are you brain dead?

this bill needs to be investigated and the authors of the bill charged with a crime.

My apologies, but you are incorrect. What you post is not in the bill.

1. They will only have to interface with 45 Taxing Administration points. The bill requires simplified tax filing and a single point for each state. There are currently on 45 states that have sales tax.

2. Secondly, they will not be writing checks to remitting payment to the 9,600 taxing authorities (or even hundreds as you claim). They will file with one tax administration entity for each state.

3. The law requires that States that want to participate in the program provide software that allows for the automatic computation of the tax at the time of sale and files the state tax returns. States already have online funds transfer when it comes to the payment portion.

4. The legislation exempts online retailers with less than $1,000,000 in sales during the previous tax year, any business doing online sales through the internet so electronic filing and remittance will not be that much of a headache and no one is going to have to sit down and right hundreds of checks each month.

>>>>

Yes only 45. Great use of time. How would you like to do your taxes 45 times at the end of the year?

What exactly is this software going to do? The shopping cart is where the tax will have to be calculated and collected. Will this software provide the programming for every website? Something tells me no. Many shopping carts will have to be upgraded just for this. All the taxes will have to be manually setup in the shopping cart. It's a huge mess. If states want all this work done then they should pay companies to collect it.

I'm a database guy by trade, I work with HR and not retail, but the fundamental concepts remain the same.

Shopping Cart software already has to include tax calculations for the state the seller is in. When a customer makes an online purchase, it looks up the address of delivery, if the state of the seller and the purchaser are the same - tax is calculated. If they are not the same, then currently no tax is calculated. For sites with over a $1,000,000 in sales - ya, an upgrade will be patched into the database. The States are required to provide the underlying tables free to the business community. In the future when the address is looked up, it will access the table for that address in that state and compute the tax and return it to the cart for display. The law also requires that the software prepare the returns for electronic filing.

I have no disagreement with the concept of the businesses getting some type of compensation for the additional work. I was talking to a business person on another board and he was saying that by filing timely returns that they get discount on the total tax owed. Such a discount in essence paid the company because they were allowed to keep a percentage of the taxes collected which covered expense.

>>>>

I've never heard of anyone getting a % back. There is usually a very small amount that you get to keep if you pay on time. Of course if you have to do 45 of them the paying on time part will be very difficult.

Is there any measures in the bill by state so you don't have to do a form say if you sell only $100 to that state? Or if you have any sales in that state you have to do the whole form as if you had sold say $100,000?

You've been getting hosed since this thread was created.

If your local stores don't have what you want, then go without... or pony up the sales tax to buy your blow-up dolls online.

If this bill passes, everyone will be paying the SAME. And the brick and mortars will be on an even playing field with the fat fucks clicking their mouses taking internet orders.

Everyone will be poorer because of new taxes. This will slow the economy and all businesses will hurt. The poor will be paying more for the same items, making them poorer.

"Poorer". 5%-10% poorer? :lol:

You fuckin' crack me up.

If people start paying 5-10% more for many of their purchases they will be poorer yes. They won't be getting as much for their hard earned dollar. Since it's the same 5-10% regardless of income this is much harder on the poor and middle class. I thought liberals wanted to help these people?

Since everyone will be getting less for their dollar they will have less to spend. So this will be bad for all businesses. Why shoot the economy in the foot again? If the government wants to collect more taxes we need a strong economy. Adding more and more taxes will just slow the economy down.

Is the million dollars of out of state sales just for US sales? So if a company sells say $600k to other states , but $500k internationally would they qualify?

Aren't we giving another advantage to China companies? There are a lot that ship direct from overseas into the states. I assume they won't be charging any sales tax.

Do you realize there are over 10,000 taxing authrities within the US? Do you realize the nightmares and monies that would cause small companies?

1. Do you realize that there will be a single point input for each state? Individuals will not have to interact with 10,000 taxing authorities, all out of state tax remittance will be thorugh a single portal.

2. Do you realize that small companies are exempt from this? They are.

>>>>

Does your mighty brain have any idea how expensive this will be?

Now to your obviously false points.

A single payment to each state does not mean that they do not have to figure out exactly which taxes within the state apply to each purchase.

The marketing software will do it automatically. If you think there is going to be a little old lady with a pencil and thick book of tax tables that will manually be calculating taxes for each purchase you are incorrect. The software will take the delivery address, access the table for that state and apply the correct amount. The law even exempts the seller from liability of the table the states provides calculates the incorrect tax.

The law actually does apply to small companies because it requires any company that does over $1 million in sales to collect taxes, and it is written in such a way that it applies to every single seller on Ebay because Ebay does a lot more than $1 million in sales every year.

Wrong. Let's say there is a company ""WW Collectables" and I sell through E-bay. E-bay provides the interface, but the $1,000,000 is based on the tax forms I submit for WW Collectables the previous year. If my Brick and Mortar business does $5,000,000 in sales and $500,000 in online sales, I need not collect the tax. On the other hand if my internet sales the previous year were $2,000,000 then yes I would.

Ebay is not the seller, the individual business is. Ebay is the portal. If you are an individual doing sales they you have an individual account. If you are a business you use a business plan, pay their fees, and conduct your business.

You really should stop posting now.

You should really discuss what the law says and does instead of making stuff up.

>>>>>

Last edited:

From the text of the law as a requirement:
"(2) implements each of the following minimum simplification requirements:

(A) Provide--

(i) a single entity within the State responsible for all State and local sales and use tax administration, return processing, and audits for remote sales sourced to the State;

(ii) a single audit of a remote seller for all State and local taxing jurisdictions within that State; and

(iii) a single sales and use tax return to be used by remote sellers to be filed with the single entity responsible for tax administration."

Text of S. 743: Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 (Passed the Senate (Engrossed) version) - GovTrack.us

Out of state retailers will not have to deal with local tax authorities.

>>>>

Yes, that is what the state has to do. Want to point to the part where the company can pretend there is only one sales tax for the entire state?

Please point to where I said there was only one sales tax for the entire state please.

I said their would be one tax collection agency that out of state resellers would be interfacing with, not that there would be one tax rate.

The states, to participate in the program, will be required to have a single tax agency to interface with and they will supply the software to facilitate tax calculations and filing for returns. The tax will be calculated based on the delivery access and the software will lookup the correct rate based on tables supplied by the state.

Stop posting before you look like a complete idiot.

Maybe you should respond to what I say instead of making shit up, like "one tax rate for an entire state" - something I never said or implied.

By the way, why are you the idiot defending the idiot OP who can't even write?

No defending the OP, just discussing the law. From an emotional level I don't like it. That doesn't preclude a logical discussion of what the law actually says and does as opposed to strawman talking points.

>>>>

Sorry, but there's nothing the slightest bit right about it. It's just another tax increase. the argument of "fairness" is bullshit. Only demagogues argue that fairness is a justification for increasing your taxes. Only fools swallow such arguments.

Out of state retailers may not pay a sales tax, but their customers do have to pay for delivery. The result of both is pretty much a wash in terms of total price. There's nothing stopping local retailers from marketing their wares on the internet. This is just another revenue grab by Democrats.

On this we agree, it is not about "fairness", it's about states not receiving taxes that are already on the books. Current the collection of sales or use taxes which have been on the books for years has been on the "honor system" for most things. As interstate commerce has grown because of the internet a lot of sales tax revenue is now going to online sales. The individuals were required (in many cases) to report and pay the appropriate tax, but they don't.

In VA there is a line item on our state tax returns for the remittance of sales tax on out of state purchases. Wanna bet how often it's used?

The states are trying to close the loophole so taxes that aren't being collected after the fact are shifted to tax collection at the time of sale. Not supprising really.

Remember last year when we were running against the Dem's, their position was increase rates to increase revenue. Our (Republican plan) was to maintain rates and cut spending and to increase revenues be closing loopholes. Well, now it's happening and people are whining because a loophole is being closed. Surprising isn't it?

>>>>

I have one thing to say about that, tough fucking shit.

By the way, my plan is to cut spending then talk about taxes.

Stop saying we, it makes you look like you are Obama.

Your individual plan is irrelevant.

We, as in Republicans. Last year when the Dem's were talking about raising tax rates to raise revenues with no cuts in spending - "we" (Republicans) said that our plan was reduce spending, maintain tax rates flate AND close tax loopholes to generate revenue. Go back and research the election from last year, that was our plan.

This is closing a tax loophole which was the basis for the SCOTUS decision in Quill v. North Dakota.

>>>>

Yes, but forty-five other states will get all this new revenue from a federal law that five will not. So you've now got a law that treats five states unfairly.

It's not "new revenue", it's revenue that is currently owed. The difference is that it will be collected at the time of sale instead of using the honor system. Imagine if you will that a State said, sales tax will not be collected by merchants any longer. All citizens are expected to simply remit any tax owed on items purchased by writing a check and sending it to the states taxing authority on a monthly basis. Think that would work well?

Those states are not treated unfairly, they choose a different revenue stream (other than sales transactions). They are free to maintain those systems if it works for them. They can also implement a sales tax and comply with the interstate commerce requirements and join the other 45. They choice is theirs.

>>>>

They aren't getting it now, so that makes it new, despite your idiotic attempt to claim that it ain't fair.

Again with the strawman, I've said the naming of the bill is a smoke screen with the whole "fairness" aspect. The reality is this is about revenue.

The taxes are not new, they've been around for years. The shift though is from an "honor system" after the fact method to a font end time of sale method - you know, just like the one used by B&M stores.

>>>>

Somebody needs to tell House Republicans that their job is to do the right thing when it comes to voting on bills and it is a no brainer that the right thing is that this bill become law.

What part is a no brainer?? are you suggesting they should pass all bills presented?? Or just the ones you like?

We give enough money to and states,there is a huge difference between need and want.
What?

You think it is a no-brainer that small mom and pop I-net businesses should have to be subjected to 1000+ tax authorities to prove they never had a sale to a specific region or tax authority while giving the so called 'harmed' brick and mortar business who has to pay taxes on ONLY ONE tax authority a fair deal?

Are you brain dead?

this bill needs to be investigated and the authors of the bill charged with a crime.

1. Small Mom & Pop I-net businesses are exempt. Any business with $1,000,000 in sales during the previous tax years is exempt for the next year.

2. Incorrect again on your second point. Out-of-state online sellers are not subject to 1000+ taxing authorities, the law requires that out-of-state online sellers interact with only a SINGLE taxing administration entity for each state.

>>>>

Yes only 45. Great use of time. How would you like to do your taxes 45 times at the end of the year?

What exactly is this software going to do? The shopping cart is where the tax will have to be calculated and collected. Will this software provide the programming for every website? Something tells me no. Many shopping carts will have to be upgraded just for this. All the taxes will have to be manually setup in the shopping cart. It's a huge mess. If states want all this work done then they should pay companies to collect it.

I'm a database guy by trade, I work with HR and not retail, but the fundamental concepts remain the same.

Shopping Cart software already has to include tax calculations for the state the seller is in. When a customer makes an online purchase, it looks up the address of delivery, if the state of the seller and the purchaser are the same - tax is calculated. If they are not the same, then currently no tax is calculated. For sites with over a $1,000,000 in sales - ya, an upgrade will be patched into the database. The States are required to provide the underlying tables free to the business community. In the future when the address is looked up, it will access the table for that address in that state and compute the tax and return it to the cart for display. The law also requires that the software prepare the returns for electronic filing.

I have no disagreement with the concept of the businesses getting some type of compensation for the additional work. I was talking to a business person on another board and he was saying that by filing timely returns that they get discount on the total tax owed. Such a discount in essence paid the company because they were allowed to keep a percentage of the taxes collected which covered expense.

>>>>

I've never heard of anyone getting a % back. There is usually a very small amount that you get to keep if you pay on time. Of course if you have to do 45 of them the paying on time part will be very difficult.

Is there any measures in the bill by state so you don't have to do a form say if you sell only $100 to that state? Or if you have any sales in that state you have to do the whole form as if you had sold say $100,000?

The law says business with less than $1,000,000 in sales are exempt. The law does not go into interaction limits for individual states.

However it does require that the software handle the preparation of the required filings. Every state that I know of has online remittance of taxes. Paying them on time will actually be pretty easy. The software handles the filing for the specified period, remittance is made online electronically.

>>>>

Is the million dollars of out of state sales just for US sales? So if a company sells say $600k to other states , but $500k internationally would they qualify?

Aren't we giving another advantage to China companies? There are a lot that ship direct from overseas into the states. I assume they won't be charging any sales tax.

The million dollar mark is determined by United States income tax filing, which means the company has a presence in the United States.

So if you buy a laptop from Dell and it ships from Taiwan, Dell is a US company and the tax would be charged.

If a company is located in Brazil and not incorporated in the United States, then their would be no sales tax. However there may/will be tariffs, Customs fees, and higher international shipping rates - if you can do that for less than the sales tax rate. Go for it.

>>>>

I said their would be one tax collection agency that out of state resellers would be interfacing with, not that there would be one tax rate.

If there is more than one rate per state most shopping carts can't do it. A new website would be a huge expense.

If there is more than one rate per state most shopping carts can't do it. A new website would be a huge expense.

The shopping cart software already exists. You realize that instate sellers already have to deal with different tax rates based on delivery address within a state right?

Patching a Point-of-Sale system to update something is not "creating a new website". Online sellers are already required to collect tax, the interface is the same - no new site required. The underlying software will just need an upgrade to access out of state tables that the participating state is required to supply.

>>>>

The shopping cart software already exists. You realize that instate sellers already have to deal with different tax rates based on delivery address within a state right?

Patching a Point-of-Sale system to update something is not "creating a new website". Online sellers are already required to collect tax, the interface is the same - no new site required. The underlying software will just need an upgrade to access out of state tables that the participating state is required to supply.

>>>>

Actually the state I'm familiar with you charge sales tax based on the business location, not the customer. That is the same as if you go in a store, you don't travel with your rate. The carts I know of charge by state, not zip.

You know there are democrat representatives in congress don't you? This current B.S. of "tell republicans" is nothing but left wing dirty tricks propaganda.

>>>>

Actually the state I'm familiar with you charge sales tax based on the business location, not the customer. That is the same as if you go in a store, you don't travel with your rate. The carts I know of charge by state, not zip.

I just picked a state at random: Texas. From their site.

"How much is sales tax?

The current state sales tax rate on taxable items delivered into Texas is 6.25 percent. Local sales and use taxes may be due depending on where you receive orders and where the products are delivered. You should not collect more than 2 percent local tax on any one transaction. To find out the proper rate for any jurisdiction, use our tax rate search engine. More information on local sales and use taxes is online at Local Sales and Use Tax.​

In Texas you pay different sales tax rates based on the delivery address. If you are a purchaser you are receiving an order, if you are a seller you are delivering an order. New York state would be another example of different rates depending on where an item is delivered for in-state online sellers.

>>>>

Forum List

Back