How Do You Feel About Mandatory Voting?

If people are too lazy to go to the polls once a year, I don't WANT them voting.
Youre only one person. If forced to vote then they would also be forced to actually take a look at what they are voting on. The idea has some merit.

What would actually happen is the more brain dead among us would vote for either 1) whoever influenced them last or 2)whoever promised them the most goodies.

I would be far more in favor or requiring MORE to be able to vote. Not to the Starship Troopers level, but better than we have now.
That doesnt make sense. You vote for whoever influences you the most. Why would it be a bad thing for others to do the same thing you do?

"Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

Interesting opinion piece on CNN discussing the merits of mandatory voting. I liken it to jury duty. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Midterms Should Americans be forced to vote Opinion - CNN.com

I do too. Serving in Congress should be like jury duty, too. No one should make a career out of it just like no one becomes a professional jurist.

We are forced to pay taxes, we are forced to take a SS number, why not be forced to validate these things.

Are you opposed to jury duty?
Don't try being 'clever' with this.

You (and everyone else) already know damned-well, that I was answering your OP question: How do you feel about mandatory voting?

But I will voluntarily take the bait, for grins-and-giggles.

Jury Duty is an onerous burden which can require days or weeks or months of considerable inconvenience and interruption of lives, and forces people to act in judgment of others, a role for which many feel ill-equipped or which makes them feel extremely uncomfortable - thus, the 'draft' - the compulsion - in order to keep the judicial system working.

Voting is, first and foremost, a Right, and secondarily, a Privilege - it is (traditionally, in this country) voluntary participation in a poll to select leaders, it requires very little effort or time and virtually no personal inconvenience - it allows people to make their preferences known - but the absence of a Popular Quorum in Election A or B or C is not a barrier to allowing those who did choose to participate, to decide the issue - thus, the lack of compulsion - and the lack of a need for compulsion - in order to keep the electoral system working.

Apples and oranges, and too much of a break with tradition and precedent - too radical a concept - and too much of a taint of Unnecessary Big Government Compulsion, to sit well with most Americans.

Somehow, I am nor surprised, that this is coming in a year when The Left stands to lose so much, nor am I overly surprised at the particular source for this suggestion.

I stand by my earlier statement.

Opposed.

Interesting opinion piece on CNN discussing the merits of mandatory voting. I liken it to jury duty. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Against.

If you make it mandatory, as it is in Brazil and elsewhere, you just get stupid candidates like animals and inanimate objects being written in. :)
That happens now anyway.

14 strange sci-fi candidates who campaigned in REAL elections Blastr

Last edited:

I do too. Serving in Congress should be like jury duty, too. No one should make a career out of it just like no one becomes a professional jurist.

We are forced to pay taxes, we are forced to take a SS number, why not be forced to validate these things.
A variety of existing Compulsions is no good reason for adding another to an already far-too-cumbersome stack.

Mandatory voting would be an admission that our politics and "leaders" have failed.

Which may not be wrong, of course, but forcing voting would be absurd.

They have failed. Why continue to stumble around like a bunch of alcoholics in denial who refuse to do anything about our broken system?

Are you opposed to jury duty?
Don't try being 'clever' with this.

You (and everyone else) already know damned-well, that I was answering your OP question: How do you feel about mandatory voting.

Jury Duty is an onerous burden which can require days or weeks or months of considerable inconvenience and interruption of lives, and forces people to act in judgment of others, a role for which many feel ill-equipped or which makes them feel extremely uncomfortable - thus, the 'draft' - the compulsion - in order to keep the judicial system working.

Voting is, first and foremost, a Right, and secondarily, a Privilege - it is (traditionally, in this country) voluntary participation in a poll to select leaders, it requires very little effort or time and virtually no personal inconvenience - it allows people to make their preferences known - but the absence of a Popular Quorum in Election A or B or C is not a barrier to allowing those who did choose to participate, to decide the issue - thus, the lack of compulsion - and the lack of a need for compulsion - in order to keep the electoral system working.

Apples and oranges, and too much of a break with tradition and precedent - too radical a concept - and too much of a taint of Unnecessary Big Government Compulsion, to sit well with most Americans.

Somehow, I am nor surprised, that this is coming in a year when The Left stands to lose so much, nor am I overly surprised at the particular source for this suggestion.

I stand by my earlier statement.

Opposed.
I wasnt being clever. I was asking a legit question to see what your thoughts were on jury duty.

Against.

If you make it mandatory, as it is in Brazil and elsewhere, you just get stupid candidates like animals and inanimate objects being written in. :)
That happens now anyway.

Funny how these guys are in total denial, hmmmm?

Against.

That happens now anyway.

If someone can demonstrate how it can't get worse if we make it mandatory I'll change my posiiton. :) Unlike conservatives, I'm open to new information. :)

I just worry about the stoner humor it seems to invite. Seems like extra work tallying those votes, and extra money doing so.

Is CNN kidding or are they just disappointed by the poll results for the pending election? They suggest putting people in jail for not voting? No country in the freaking world orders people to vote. Left leaning media outlets are big on federal control over everything and CNN is showing it's ignorance. No wonder they are at the bottom of the media world.
Australia does exactly that. Its mandatory to vote.
Like seat belt laws, if caught a $20 penalty. Simply money grabbing

Madatory voting would give us democrats forever. That's why CNN like its is suspect.

Madatory voting would give us democrats forever.

So you are against it because democrats would win? What if repubs would benefit?
You don't think, do you?

Facts are democrats are lower turnout voters.

There are some on this board who have said that only those who own property or who have jobs should be allowed to vote.

And, some Repubs have said the same thing and are doing all they can to stop certain citizens from voting.

I remember when getting out the vote, registering people to vote was the American thing to do.

My how times have changed.

Against.

That happens now anyway.

If someone can demonstrate how it can't get worse if we make it mandatory I'll change my posiiton. :) Unlike conservatives, I'm open to new information. :)

I just worry about the stoner humor it seems to invite. Seems like extra work tallying those votes, and extra money doing so.
Read the article in the OP. It has merit even though I was initially opposed to the idea.

Is CNN kidding or are they just disappointed by the poll results for the pending election? They suggest putting people in jail for not voting? No country in the freaking world orders people to vote. Left leaning media outlets are big on federal control over everything and CNN is showing it's ignorance. No wonder they are at the bottom of the media world.

Madatory voting would give us democrats forever. That's why CNN like its is suspect.

So you are against it because democrats would win? What if repubs would benefit?
You don't think, do you?

You avoided my question. Are you saying your reason for being against it is because you think more Democrats would vote?

You don't think, do you?

RWs vote against their country and their own best interests.

Dems don't vote FOR their country and their own best interests.

If you don't vote, you deserve what you get.

1798440_719865931439797_5994911885422697339_n_zpsae94e0af.jpg

10703692_10203513382649006_3279941718918185781_n_zps85c113b6.jpg

There are some on this board who have said that only those who own property or who have jobs should be allowed to vote.

And, some Repubs have said the same thing and are doing all they can to stop certain citizens from voting.

I remember when getting out the vote, registering people to vote was the American thing to do.

My how times have changed.
Aren't Republicans encouraging people to get out and vote, as well?

Isn't that why the Democrats are shitting in their pants, going into this mid-term election?

Because the popular tide has turned against them?

You don't think, do you?

You avoided my question. Are you saying your reason for being against it is because you think more Democrats would vote?
No. You're idiot question(s) only serve to prove you're a partisan idiot who doesn't think.

I think it's a little too late for the bumper stickers now, Luddly.

You can thank the Failed Messiah for that.

The same way that Democrats, nationwide, are thanking him, even as we speak.

By distancing themselves from him at the speed of light.

Abandoning the sinking ship.

Trouble is, for so many of these Democrats, it's too little, too late.

At least for now.

You don't think, do you?

No. You're idiot question(s) only serve to prove you're a partisan idiot who doesn't think.
You sound angry and hurt. I'm not even a democrat. I dont know you so you dont lose face by answering the question. Can you do that?

Forum List

Back