How Is The Confederate Flag Considered A Hate Symbol?

It’s a racist piece of shit and you know it.
No it is not. The Confederate flag is on my wall. I am no racist. If you think I am racist, you can go away.

IMG_20240909_130256391.jpg

No it is not. The Confederate flag is on my wall. I am no racist. If you think I am racist, you can go away.

View attachment 1008944
Then why else would you put it on your wall?

You do realize that the confederates were the only people in the history of the world to start a war to prove they were better than the slaves and lost?

And you’re proud of that?

They are NOT symbols of hate.

Anything deviants disagree with is a 'symbol of hate', because they're told to say it is. The American flag is a symbol of hate, too, along with bibles, the Constitution, being white, etc. They feel oppressed because they can't torture, rob, and steal like they could in the Good Old Days.

HikerGuy83:
When I see the flag, I think of people who don't like being conquered. I completely understand them making a statement with it that has nothing to do with racism at all.
I partially agree. I've known several members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans who were highly educated, professional people who rejected all forms of racism, and who viewed the flag as a symbol of heritage and opposition to federal overreach.

However, I have also known some Southern heritage defenders who clearly harbored racist views.

If I had to bet serious money, I would wager that at least 30% of the protestors in Charlottesville who were objecting to the removal of the Robert E. Lee statue held racist views, even though Lee himself opposed slavery, supported gradual emancipation, and did much to try to improve race relations after the war.

Strictly technically speaking, one could make a compelling case for viewing the U.S. flag as a symbol of racism until around the 1970s. One could also make a good argument that the U.S. flag was a symbol of slavery until 1865.

However, I have also known some Southern heritage defenders who clearly harbored racist views.

And a lot of white nationalists loved Lincoln, too. His Party was trying to ban blacks from ever settling in the new territories or in the Midwest, free or slave, and wanted to ship them all back to Africa. Few left the South after the war, except when northern industrialists needed scabs to bust unions. Obviously they didn't feel welcome in the North, since over 90% of them remained in the South for the next few decades.

It is considered a hate symbol in tbe same way tbe swastika is. It represents SUPPORT for enslaving human beings of a certain race.
Whether that view is actually justified is a different question from whether your assertion is accurate. I happen to agree with Coyote on this one. I see the reaction to the stars and bars as one of opposition to slavery.

I have moved “down South.” I really like it in the South. I think most of the people here are warm and kind and polite — and friendly.

And being a Yankee, I am probably a bit out of bounds, here, criticizing the Confederate Battle Flag. But I dislike it. It wouldn’t bother me in the least if it got removed from any public building or property.

Forum List

Back