I think we must fight all religous extremism.

See, it isn't about extremism. They call anyone who doesn't support depraved lifestyles and human rights violations in the name of progress an extremist.

Anybody who stands up for liberty is an "extremist" and therefore suspect.

It can't hurt to talk about the differences in religious extremism, but the OP was avoit religious extremism as a whole. Is Islamic extremism more deadly than Christian extremism? Yes, currently it is. But just let me suggest a definition of religious extremism: forcing others to live by another's religious beliefs, through violence or law (imprisonment).

If someone believes that fetuses have souls because of religious beliefs but others do not, why should those others be forced to live as though fetuses do have souls? If someone believes that homosexuality is a sin because of religious dogma but others do not, why should those others be forced to live as though it is a sin?

Those of us who are part of the minority in this country, protected by the Constitution, do not want to be forced to live by the religious doctrine of the majority-held religion. Education and exposure to other faiths and perspectives can help fight extremism.

Why is it extremism for people to believe that fetuses have souls, but not extremism to believe the opposite?

Hoo boy, did you ever miss the point on that one. Its not the belief that is extremist, its forcing others to live by your religious belief that is extremist.

I didn't miss anything. You are forcing people who believe that fetuses have souls to live with your belief that it is permissible to kill human beings based on age.

Why isn't that extreme?

Last edited:
Extreme is a matter of perspective. that's the problem with fighting all extremists.

Define 'in public'.

You don't know what "in public" means? If you need a hint, it is the opposite of "in private."

Can you answer the question now? Or do you want me to define "certain symbols?"

Hang a crescent, cross or star on YOUR neck, YOUR house or YOUR car all you want.

Just don't try to hang one on OUR school building or OUR municipal park.

Get it?

Ok, so who does that?

Uh, everyone who votes to restrict a woman's right to choose. Everyone who supports anti-gay legislation. Everyone who supports anti-sodomy laws. Anyone who restricts access to sex education, contraceptives, and control of one's own body and sexual behavior. Anyone who supports teaching religious doctrine in a science class or restricts science from being taught in a science class, etc., etc.

Why is it extremism for people to believe that fetuses have souls, but not extremism to believe the opposite?

Hoo boy, did you ever miss the point on that one. Its not the belief that is extremist, its forcing others to live by your religious belief that is extremist.

So why is it not extreme to kill innocent people simply because you believe they are fetuses?

YOU believe fetuses are people. Science shows us that fetuses are not sentient until about the 6th month, maybe. There is no definitive line that has been drawn from nonsentient to sentient. For those of us who value a person's right to choose when to have children, or a person's choice to have a child that is a product of rape or incest, the quality of life of the mother and the child is more important than a nonviable, nonsentient bundle of cells.

Ok, so who does that?

Uh, everyone who votes to restrict a woman's right to choose. Everyone who supports anti-gay legislation. Everyone who supports anti-sodomy laws. Anyone who restricts access to sex education, contraceptives, and control of one's own body and sexual behavior. Anyone who supports teaching religious doctrine in a science class or restricts science from being taught in a science class, etc., etc.

Lol..as I said. "Extremism" is just code for "different".

How do you propose "fighting" it? Making it illegal? Putting people in jail for voting a certain way, or holding a particular viewpoint?

What will that look like?

PS..I've never seen a Marine fight against freedom before. There's always a first for everything, I suppose.

So why is it not extreme to kill innocent people simply because you believe they are fetuses?

YOU believe fetuses are people. Science shows us that fetuses are not sentient until about the 6th month, maybe. There is no definitive line that has been drawn from nonsentient to sentient. For those of us who value a person's right to choose when to have children, or a person's choice to have a child that is a product of rape or incest, the quality of life of the mother and the child is more important than a nonviable, nonsentient bundle of cells.

Sentience has nothing to do with humanity....your statement is UN-scientific. A human is a human regardless of their ability to defend themselves, or their age. Nowhere in the scientific definition of "human" will you find the word "sentient". And the scientific definition of fetus is age related...a fetus is a certain age of offspring of mammals. It isn't something different. If you're going to pretend to be scientific, try to get it right.

Last edited:
We must fight all religious extremism no matter what religion.
-Islamic extremist that want to force people to adopt their religion=Islamic extremist.
-Christian extremist must be treated the same
-Jewish Extremist must be treated the same

on down the list

Who agrees with me? It should be fought against at every turn!

Do you consider slavish devotion to converting everyone to government-controlled drones extremist?

How many people have they killed?

Perhaps someone needs to define "religious extremism" and then detail exactly what they think should be "done" about it.

Because what I see is this...the rhetoric of the left is to describe all non-left idealogy as "extremist". The tea partiers are "extremist". Pro-lifers are "extremist". Christians are "extremists", or if they dare to pray publicly, "fundies". Republicans are "extremists".

So who defines "extremism" and exactly what do you propose be done to stop it? Isn't it our right to be extremist, if we so desire? As long as we aren't preventing others from enjoying their protected rights?

Of course.

It is also our right to demean, ridicule, make fun of, and in general blast people's views, including calling them extremists.

What a country.

So you're ok with a people that want to forcefully take away your freedom?

Of course I have a problem with people that want to forcefully take away my freedom. Which people are you referring to?

I think we should quit worrying about people's religious beliefs and focus on behavior.

Somebody who is a peaceful religious fanatic isn't a threat to society. Someone who is planning a terrorist attack is.

But islam wants to take away all that you believe. It is a religion that is much like the Christianity of old before the reform. What's freedom to them? They hate our idea of freedom with every ounce of their being.

I wouldn't want it here if I was you.

If Islam has a Reformation... well, that'll be one long and bloody war between themselves.
That said, it's probably sorely needed.

I think we should quit worrying about people's religious beliefs and focus on behavior.

Somebody who is a peaceful religious fanatic isn't a threat to society. Someone who is planning a terrorist attack is.

Also, this.
I've met people who are utterly devoted to their cause. I've met missionaries, Southern Baptist preachers, even some Imams and Rabbis... none of which professed war against their brothers, even across faiths. But, I've met so-called "Christians" that want to wipe out not just Muslims, but Jews and Atheists ("and those weird chinky religions"), and only let Christianity reign.

It's not just behaviour; it's who you let lead your flock. Imagine, for example, if Christianity had a violent, extremist but equally popular Joel Olsteen, one that called for violence against Muslims, or Atheists, or Jews, or whathaveyou... what would that be like? Do any Christians here want that?

Ok, so who does that?

Uh, everyone who votes to insists on forcing everyone to pay for a woman's right to choose, regardless of their personal convictions. Everyone who supports forcing acceptance of gay legislation and sodomy laws. [Sexual preference and how you carry out the act are strictly personal. Most of us don't care, and most don't want to hear, read, or otherwise know about what you do behind closed doors, or with whom.] Anyone who makes sex education and contraceptives mandatory, and tells one how one should control one's own body and sexual behavior. [Again, a strictly personal issue that should be best addressed in the family, not in public.] Anyone who supports teaching religious doctrine in a science class or restricts science from being taught in a science class, etc., etc [This I'll agree with. I do not view "Creation Science" as a science. It is a matter of faith and is unsupported by scientific protocols as commonly accepted. If offered as an elective in public schools, or as mandatory in private schools, I see no problem. In the meantime, let's keep faith-based matters out of the science classroom.]

In cases of incest or rape, and those involving the mother's or infant's health, I am willing to consider abortion on a case-by-case basis. When it comes to a matter of deciding whether or when to have children, there are far better ways of preventing a pregnancy. First and foremost, if you are not ready to have children, don't have sex, or use any of the preventive measures available. Abortion is not a good contraceptive measure.

Your little qualifier there at the end is very telling...

How is it telling? We are discussing the difference between religious extremism. Wouldn't it be prudent to compare the differences in a discussion on that very topic?

It can't hurt to talk about the differences in religious extremism, but the OP was avoit religious extremism as a whole. Is Islamic extremism more deadly than Christian extremism? Yes, currently it is. But just let me suggest a definition of religious extremism: forcing others to live by another's religious beliefs, through violence or law (imprisonment).

If someone believes that fetuses have souls because of religious beliefs but others do not, why should those others be forced to live as though fetuses do have souls? If someone believes that homosexuality is a sin because of religious dogma but others do not, why should those others be forced to live as though it is a sin?

Those of us who are part of the minority in this country, protected by the Constitution, do not want to be forced to live by the religious doctrine of the majority-held religion. Education and exposure to other faiths and perspectives can help fight extremism.

This is why ANYTHING like this should NOT be just signed in and made a law....it has to be voted on by the people. That way, I can vote against making abortion legal, you can vote to make it legal, and it all depends on how many people get out there to make their votes count.

But then again, gay marriage was voted down in California, and the gays would not stand for it and fought it! When it was a legal vote and the majority won! It's the same with people that are for abortion.....a law could pass in every state by vote and the people for abortion won't back down, they'll keep fighting until they get their way. It doesn't matter what the majority wants.

But then YOU want to force us to live by YOUR non-religious belief....what's the difference?

Forum List

Back