If you could move anywhere in the United states, where would you move?

Toronto . No Mexican interlopers and their handlers telling us we have to accept Mexican illegals and dictate we have to them and give them sanctuary at the same time...Because it's good for their exploiters...

Toronto has the second highest number of Mexicans of any Canadian city.

I would move to Jacksonville Florida, to get drunk with Ash and kill some Evil Dead.

Maybe go fishing too?

If money was no factor? Mackinac Island.
Cold up there. The bridge is pretty all lit up at night though.

High sixties low seventies all week. 71 today.

Cold?

Only when you're sober.

I remember my boss was always more liquored up than me. So were all the owners.

Nobody's ever completely sober on Mackinac Island. But that's alright, there aren't any cars. :abgg2q.jpg:

Life there is just slower, so it's worth it. It's like living in the past, in a dream.

"Drunk biking
The island does have a “pub culture.” And why not? It’s a beautiful setting, looking out over Lake Huron at the Mackinac bridge, relaxing after perhaps riding some of the 70 miles of mountain bike trails available in Mackinac Island state park or simply navigating the 8-mile round trip that is M-185. But, it’s a bad idea, Slevin says.

Tourists mistakenly think that they can ride a bike after drinking, ride in around in circles and end up falling down, sometimes injuring themselves or others. The locals, of course, know to walk to the bar and then home (or catch a horse taxi). One lifelong island resident laughed uproariously as he talked about riding his horse to the bar. His horse, however, does not like the overwhelming scent of alcohol, so he would sometimes come out of the bar only to find that his ride had walked home without him."
Mitt Romney on a bike
The island is a popular destination for conferences, but many attendees get a sharp lesson in island ways soon after getting off the boat if they aren’t willing to pedal. Eschewing bicycles, many are stuck waiting for horse taxis, since there are only so many on the island.

If you want to move around quickly, use a bike, if you want to see the island in a laid-back, beautiful way, take a horse tour.”

As not only a former Michigan resident, but a former Governor’s son, Mitt Romney grew up spending summers on Mackinac Island where there is a governor’s residence. When he and his wife returned for the Republican conference a few years ago, Slevin described how they zipped around town on their bikes like locals, not only getting to events faster (Rudy Giuliani and his entourage went the horse taxi route), but avoiding the paparazzi, who didn’t recognize them."
Mackinac Island: Where Cars are Banned and Bikes Rule the Road

Cold?

Only when you're sober.

Nobody's ever completely sober on Mackinac Island. But that's alright, there aren't any cars. :abgg2q.jpg:

Life there is just slower, so it's worth it. It's like living in the past, in a dream.

"Drunk biking
The island does have a “pub culture.” And why not? It’s a beautiful setting, looking out over Lake Huron at the Mackinac bridge, relaxing after perhaps riding some of the 70 miles of mountain bike trails available in Mackinac Island state park or simply navigating the 8-mile round trip that is M-185. But, it’s a bad idea, Slevin says.

Tourists mistakenly think that they can ride a bike after drinking, ride in around in circles and end up falling down, sometimes injuring themselves or others. The locals, of course, know to walk to the bar and then home (or catch a horse taxi). One lifelong island resident laughed uproariously as he talked about riding his horse to the bar. His horse, however, does not like the overwhelming scent of alcohol, so he would sometimes come out of the bar only to find that his ride had walked home without him."
Mitt Romney on a bike
The island is a popular destination for conferences, but many attendees get a sharp lesson in island ways soon after getting off the boat if they aren’t willing to pedal. Eschewing bicycles, many are stuck waiting for horse taxis, since there are only so many on the island.

If you want to move around quickly, use a bike, if you want to see the island in a laid-back, beautiful way, take a horse tour.”

As not only a former Michigan resident, but a former Governor’s son, Mitt Romney grew up spending summers on Mackinac Island where there is a governor’s residence. When he and his wife returned for the Republican conference a few years ago, Slevin described how they zipped around town on their bikes like locals, not only getting to events faster (Rudy Giuliani and his entourage went the horse taxi route), but avoiding the paparazzi, who didn’t recognize them."
I've been up there. There's a little campground near where you can see the bridge, or at least there used to be. Don't get me wrong, I love the U.P., but I wouldn't want to live up there.

I'm far enough up north here in SW Wisconsin.

Cold?

Only when you're sober.

"Drunk biking

Mitt Romney on a bike

I've been up there. There's a little campground near where you can see the bridge, or at least there used to be. Don't get me wrong, I love the U.P., but I wouldn't want to live up there.

I just hate hot weather. lol

Cold?

Only when you're sober.

"Drunk biking

Mitt Romney on a bike

Me too... pretty hot everywhere 'up nort' right now though... aye.

I lived in Phoenix for a few years, Apache Junction, then Deer Valley, now there's some hot weather we can talk about.

I hate winter and I like Winter. I hate it because it's cold, but then I like it because it kills all the bugs.

Cold?

Only when you're sober.

"Drunk biking

Mitt Romney on a bike

Lol, I still remember when a cop told me he could give me a DUI on a bicycle.

We talked and he shoved my bicycle in the trunk of his squad car and drove me home..

Win , win for me :)

Cold?

Only when you're sober.

"Drunk biking

Mitt Romney on a bike

I'd just drive my backhoe. Legally, it's farm machinery.

I've thought a lot about it. I've had 38 years of Vegas and what I miss more than anything is rain. The heat doesn't bother me because there's A/C everywhere.

So, where would I go?

Got no earthquakes here.
No serious flooding.
No Hurricanes.
No Tornadoes.
No Blizzards.
No serious thunderstorms - although I do miss them.

What're my choices?

I was living in California when I retired some 20 years ago and knew it was nothing more than a place reside when work required that but no place to actually live.

The research took over a year. Spreadsheets helped work out the economics but site visits at least twice (months apart) to each finalist locations drove the final decision.

I found a place where taxes are low.
A place where we OAPs (Old Age Pensioners) get a big property tax exemption.
Where you register your motor vehicle once and that's the end - registered for life.
Property prices are a fraction of those in California. Selling the CA house netted
enough to buy a nicer house outright and also buy (again outright) a second, very
similar house to rent out for nice cash flow.
Infrastructure is maintained sufficiently that it doesn't become uncomfortable to use.
A place where the population is enough to provide good socialization without overdoing it.
With a few peripheral chain stores but a good "main street" with a "1950s" feel.
Low crime rate (OK, not "crime-free")
Reasonable access to a "big city"
Reasonable distance to an international airport (important up to a certain age)
A 4-season climate though one season does seem to drag on a bit and the
extremes are not all that severe.

Every now and again I re-do the exercise to see if anything has changed that might warrant a move.

Wasted effort.

At least so far.

And, no, I'm not gonna tell you where. Too damned many liberal snowflakes on this board - after all, one must protect one's neighborhood!

Last edited:

Cold?

Only when you're sober.

"Drunk biking

Mitt Romney on a bike

Me too... pretty hot everywhere 'up nort' right now though... aye.

I lived in Phoenix for a few years, Apache Junction, then Deer Valley, now there's some hot weather we can talk about.

I hate winter and I like Winter. I hate it because it's cold, but then I like it because it kills all the bugs.

My POV? It is so much easier to get warmer than it is to cool off. I really loath air conditioning.

It makes me feel. . . icky. I makes me sick, gives me a headache. The air is unnatural. Getting toasty is so much easier. And there are so many different types of heat, they all have their own charm. Gas heat, wood heat, extra blankets and clothing. I love the feeling of being snug with it cold outside. . . and off course. . . BOOZE!

The summers in the north are so much more pleasant. Except the bugs. ugggg.

And probably the best part? Most folks think the warmer climes are the best, so it attacks EVERYBODY.

I hate crowds of people. Traffic jams, air quality warnings, school shootings, crime, etc. Just miserable.

Too old now...but I normally would have said Maui. Montana or Wyoming sounds nice. But..too old to start all over, as I said.

Forum List

Back