Independent panel concludes Bush engaged in torture

The answer is in the link provided. Didn't read it? 88 Democrats in the house broke with the President on that. Whereas only 7 Republcians broke rank.

The President still wants it closed and Congress still refuses to provide funds.

obama most certainly has not used the bully pulpit as he did for his obamacare or stimulus. fact is, obama has done next to nothing to close gitmo. stop making excuses for him. the issue is not congress, it is obama.

Obama's Guantanamo Shift - Council on Foreign Relations

The queston wasn't why didn't the President use the "Bully Pulpit" to push Congress for closing Gitmo was it?

If Congress had not blocked funding do you think the President would some how have kept it open?

Obama lacked the balls to do the right thing

The answer is in the link provided. Didn't read it? 88 Democrats in the house broke with the President on that. Whereas only 7 Republcians broke rank.

The President still wants it closed and Congress still refuses to provide funds.

obama most certainly has not used the bully pulpit as he did for his obamacare or stimulus. fact is, obama has done next to nothing to close gitmo. stop making excuses for him. the issue is not congress, it is obama.

The queston wasn't why didn't the President use the "Bully Pulpit" to push Congress for closing Gitmo was it?

If Congress had not blocked funding do you think the President would some how have kept it open?

you didn't click the link and educate yourself...did you? i am 99% certain you did not, or else you would not have made such an uninformed response.

the issue is: why didn't obama close gitmo. you claim it was the fault of congress. i point out that obama doesn't need congress to close gitmo and now you back peddle and say...well...obama really doesn't have to do anything but say magic words.

do you even know what the bully pulpit is? congress blocking funding is a red herring to closing gitmo. obama could have closed it within months of entering office.

stop making excuses and start learning the truth.

but you would vote for him forever if you could

Whats your point?

That agents of the government break the law all the time.

And your point is what?

You are thick aren't you?

Let me explain. It doesn't fucking matter if torture is illegal because our fucking government breaks the fucking law all the fucking time and I will bet you that people are being tortured right now with our blessing.

Is that simple enough for you to understand there, Sparky?

That agents of the government break the law all the time.

And your point is what?

Let me explain. It doesn't fucking matter if torture is illegal because our fucking government breaks the fucking law all the fucking time and I will bet you that people are being tortured right now with our blessing.

It doesn't matter if something is illegal because the govt breaks the law all the time? I don't get it so, if someone does something that renders the law invalid? Is that the point you're making?

Because that's a silly ass point

Of course not....show me a link where he supports torture

Show me a link where W supports torture

In new memoir, Bush makes clear he approved use of waterboarding

What we have here is a failure to communicate. I mean actual torture. Not what you're stretching to be "torture" for political gain.

Your idiotic Democrat plan is to say cutting off heads is torture, waterboarding for information is torture, therefore Al Qaeda and W are both torturers, and therefore they are equivalent.

It's a stupid argument and the only people who buy it are people who are stupid or have an agenda. Or both...

What we have here is a failure to communicate. I mean actual torture. Not what you're stretching to be "torture" for political gain.

Your idiotic Democrat plan is to say cutting off heads is torture, waterboarding for information is torture, therefore Al Qaeda and W are both torturers, and therefore they are equivalent.

It's a stupid argument and the only people who buy it are people who are stupid or have an agenda. Or both...

Waterboarding is universally considered to be a form of torture. There was a time when the US had higher moral convictions when we used to concur with that

it is only Bush's Justice Dept lawyers who think otherwise

Bush-era torture use 'indisputable,' Guantanamo must close, task force finds - U.S. News

An independent task force issued a damning review of Bush-era interrogation practices on Tuesday, saying the highest U.S. officials bore ultimate responsibility for the "indisputable" use of torture, and it urged President Barack Obama to close the Guantanamo detention camp by the end of 2014.

In one of the most comprehensive studies of U.S. treatment of terrorism suspects, the panel concluded that never before had there been "the kind of considered and detailed discussions that occurred after 9/11 directly involving a president and his top advisers on the wisdom, propriety and legality of inflicting pain and torment on some detainees in our custody."

"It is indisputable that the United States engaged in the practice of torture," the 11-member task force, assembled by the nonpartisan Constitution Project think tank, said in their 577-page report

The panel, which included leading politicians from both parties, two U.S. retired generals and legal and ethics scholars, spent two years examining the U.S. treatment of suspected militants detained after the September 11, 2001, attacks.

Panel members interviewed former Clinton, Bush and Obama administration officials, military officers and former prisoners, and the investigation looked at U.S. practices at Guantanamo, in Afghanistan and Iraq and at the CIA's former secret prisons overseas.

The task force was chaired by Asa Hutchinson, a Republican former congressman and undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security during the George W. Bush administration, and James Jones, a Democratic former congressman who served as U.S. ambassador to Mexico.

And?

Who has disputed that we've used torture techniques in the past?

Even your girlfriend, Pelosi, was complacent about it.
:eusa_hand:

you didn't click the link and educate yourself...did you? i am 99% certain you did not, or else you would not have made such an uninformed response.

the issue is: why didn't obama close gitmo. you claim it was the fault of congress. i point out that obama doesn't need congress to close gitmo and now you back peddle and say...well...obama really doesn't have to do anything but say magic words.

do you even know what the bully pulpit is? congress blocking funding is a red herring to closing gitmo. obama could have closed it within months of entering office.

stop making excuses and start learning the truth.

The conclusion from your link:

I don't see a viable pathway to closing Guantanamo anytime soon because of the politics attached to the issue. You can't do it without the support of Congress, and as of now Congress is lined up in opposition. You can take steps to prepare for its closure one day, such as reducing the detainee population. But in the meantime, in the foreseeable future, Guantanamo is likely to stay open.

:eusa_hand:

He was quite a caveman.

Of course he started out as a moon salemen so .......

This Site's been taken over by deranged Conspiracy Theorists. Our Government would not torture anyone. I may have to stop coming to this Site.

And your point is what?

It doesn't matter if something is illegal because the govt breaks the law all the time? I don't get it so, if someone does something that renders the law invalid? Is that the point you're making?

Because that's a silly ass point

You are naive to the point of stupidity if you think people are not being tortured at the behest of the US government simply because it is illegal.

Now if you were to kidnap someone and torture them you can bet you'd end up in jail but the government agents do just that with impunity.

Bush-era torture use 'indisputable,' Guantanamo must close, task force finds - U.S. News

An independent task force issued a damning review of Bush-era interrogation practices on Tuesday, saying the highest U.S. officials bore ultimate responsibility for the "indisputable" use of torture, and it urged President Barack Obama to close the Guantanamo detention camp by the end of 2014.

In one of the most comprehensive studies of U.S. treatment of terrorism suspects, the panel concluded that never before had there been "the kind of considered and detailed discussions that occurred after 9/11 directly involving a president and his top advisers on the wisdom, propriety and legality of inflicting pain and torment on some detainees in our custody."

"It is indisputable that the United States engaged in the practice of torture," the 11-member task force, assembled by the nonpartisan Constitution Project think tank, said in their 577-page report

The panel, which included leading politicians from both parties, two U.S. retired generals and legal and ethics scholars, spent two years examining the U.S. treatment of suspected militants detained after the September 11, 2001, attacks.

Panel members interviewed former Clinton, Bush and Obama administration officials, military officers and former prisoners, and the investigation looked at U.S. practices at Guantanamo, in Afghanistan and Iraq and at the CIA's former secret prisons overseas.

The task force was chaired by Asa Hutchinson, a Republican former congressman and undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security during the George W. Bush administration, and James Jones, a Democratic former congressman who served as U.S. ambassador to Mexico.

What is your point?
Should we instead be giving these terrorist pricks tea and cookies?
Look, for our national defense against people who are aworn to our destruction, non conventional methods are required to extract information which can save American lives.
You weep for the terrorist.
These people fight in the gutter. Sometimes one has to go into the gutter to defeat the enemy.
If this upsets your apple cart, let me ask you, would you be more comfy with another 9/11?

Forum List

Back