Is God A "He"...?

I always had the image in my head that He is a He.

I did also.
However, He is a Spirit. And Spirits do not have genders.

so... it's complicated :)

we won't have gender on the other side as well, so the question is only relevant for our Earthly path.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Male imagery referring to God

The male imagery used to depict God is fundamentally different from the female similes found in Scripture. God may be like a mother in certain aspects, but He is Father; Jesus prayed to Him as Father and taught His disciples to do the same (Matt 6:9). The Second Person of the Trinity, Jesus Christ, became incarnate as a man, not a woman, and Jesus referred to the Holy Spirit with the pronoun ‘He’ (John 14:16–17). These are not similes or metaphors, but teaching regarding the very nature of God and how He relates to His creation, and how the members of the Godhead relate to each other.

What's in a pronoun? The divine gender controversy

I always had the image in my head that He is a He.

I did also.

we won't have gender on the other side as well, so the question is only relevant for our Earthly path.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

The male imagery used to depict God is fundamentally different from the female similes found in Scripture. God may be like a mother in certain aspects, but He is Father; Jesus prayed to Him as Father and taught His disciples to do the same (Matt 6:9). The Second Person of the Trinity, Jesus Christ, became incarnate as a man, not a woman, and Jesus referred to the Holy Spirit with the pronoun ‘He’ (John 14:16–17). These are not similes or metaphors, but teaching regarding the very nature of God and how He relates to His creation, and how the members of the Godhead relate to each other.

I think the male gender pronoun is connected to the patriarchal structure of the human society and as such it gives the males more authority. It's not sexual matter but rather strength matter, so to say. but that is just my feeling on the issue :)

Keep worshiping Jesus and the Holy Ghost as if they are God. I am sure God will forgive you even though he clearly ordered his followers not to worship others as him or over him.

They ARE.

It is like H2O can be ice, water and steam :)

Except they are separate and distinct persons while being one God or you would be teaching modalism.

I did also.

I think the male gender pronoun is connected to the patriarchal structure of the human society and as such it gives the males more authority. It's not sexual matter but rather strength matter, so to say. but that is just my feeling on the issue :)

Can you accurately translate the scriptures without using masculine terms?

The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy: Muting the Masculinity of God's Words Paperback
by Wayne A. Grudem (Author) , Vern Sheridan Poythress (Author)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805424415/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=]The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy: Muting the Masculinity of God's Words: Wayne A. Grudem, Vern Sheridan Poythress: 9780805424416: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

This book describes how the modern feminist agenda has influenced the translators of the Bible, compelling them to mute the patriarchalism inherent in the ancient texts. It may be polite and politically correct today to avoid using the "generic he" and other masculine language in written documents. The authors assert, however, that translators cannot avoid masculine overtones and at the same time accurately translate the Scriptures.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805424415/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=]The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy: Muting the Masculinity of God's Words: Wayne A. Grudem, Vern Sheridan Poythress: 9780805424416: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Can you accurately translate the scriptures without using masculine terms?

The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy: Muting the Masculinity of God's Words Paperback
by Wayne A. Grudem (Author) , Vern Sheridan Poythress (Author)

This book describes how the modern feminist agenda has influenced the translators of the Bible, compelling them to mute the patriarchalism inherent in the ancient texts. It may be polite and politically correct today to avoid using the "generic he" and other masculine language in written documents. The authors assert, however, that translators cannot avoid masculine overtones and at the same time accurately translate the Scriptures.

The spirit has no gender, gender is a biological trait and is evidence of man's personification of God. The Bible was written by men, stands to reason it would be victim of patriarchalism and masculinity. By tradition, we all fall victim of the oversight in calling God Him. Even I do it, but it doesn't mean I am being accurate in doing so. God's influence in the Bible isn't in the masculinity and chauvinism; It is in all that is good, in guidance, in deliverance, and in restoration. God's human-like traits are imposed upon Him by us.

I was told by several spirit guides, that sex is neutral in the spirit world. That is that we ourselves are asexual as spirits, and spirits do not reproduce, so they need no sex organs.

I assume that goes double for God, who is not a physical being but a great ocean of conciousness, who is above gender and creates life by willpower not by sex.

So Disney World doesn't have booze, and there's no sex in the afterlife. "Happiest place on Earth," and "Paradise."

:doubt:

myself, I can't bring myself to believe that God has anything so base as a gender...

Well he did make Adam in his image. And Eve was an after thought.
The Bible was by men.

And FOR men

Once upon a time,
before monolithic and paternal religion,
there were female faces to the divine.
Some were terrifying,

others benign.

The men, though,
the men,
wanted women in line,
and the female and her history were no longer divine.

Heretics

The supreme being
in the image of men
celebrated the rooster
no longer the hen.

Which was a little something (maybe the last thing) those men could ALL agree on.

As a female,
divine by right,
rather than rite,
I most strenuously reject,

and object.

we will NOT bow down

mebbe it's just me, but I still have a hard time imagining the creator having gender-specific reproductive organs...

whether it be a monstrously huge swingin' dick or an all-encompassing vagina...

anyone wanna help me on this...?

He created Adam in his own image and Eve was created for the purpose of companionship and reproduction. Eve is also a part of God but God prefers to be a man in the physical sense.

He created Adam in his own image and Eve was created for the purpose of companionship and reproduction. Eve is also a part of God but God prefers to be a man in the physical sense.

that is such an absolute and complete crock of shit...

First, you bash anyone with a differing opinion, then you ask for assistance, then bash again. Dude, your finger is so far up your nasty nose, I think you poked your brain.

Genesis 1:25-26... Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

so... please reconcile the fact that when god created "him", "he" meant male and female together... i.e., not with female being a mere afterthought...

oh and btw... why was god speaking in the plural "us"...?

and also please show me the specific passage(s) where god says that "he" prefers to be a male in the physical sense...

Why? So you can bash whomever tries to answer to what THEY think that doesn't mesh with what YOU think?

Sorry...it is an interesting subject but the OP seems to have a prob and dismisses anyone with a response.

Yer on yer own this time. Maybe another thread, another time, but you ruined this one.

Hey man, I'm sorry you have such a miserable life. Actually, no I'm not.

actually, at the age of 61, I'm having the best times of my life...

thanks for asking... :)

Why? So you can bash whomever tries to answer to what THEY think that doesn't mesh with what YOU think?

Sorry...it is an interesting subject but the OP seems to have a prob and dismisses anyone with a response.

Yer on yer own this time. Maybe another thread, another time, but you ruined this one.

point well taken, Gracie...

I'll try to do better from here on out...

after all, the whole point, according to Jesus, is to be loving and charitable to one another...

I strive for that... and occasionally fail... but then, after a few bitchslaps, I forge on to do what's right... :)

Forum List

Back