Is there a BIBLICAL argument for attending church services?

Why do you ask?
People pay tithes and church taxes, but Jesus made a whip of cords, and drove the money-changers, alms-collectors, and booksellers out of the temple of Jerusalem.
And then he rode on the back of a scorpion across the water. Alas, the scorpion bit him anyway. But he rose from the dead 3 days later, just in time to remove a thorn from a lion's foot. As a way of thanking Jesus, the lion didn't eat him when they recreated the famous scenes from the Ridley Scott epic 'Gladiator'.
If you cannot address the post or believe in church or God or gods...get out. Thats what is wrong with this forum. Too many invade it to make fun of believers.
Now, now, did you get a load of their avatar that is a picture of AOC.

I submit that was a valid attempt by someone who is..........well...........let's just say challenged. Being able to form complete sentences was impressive enough as it was.

And then people wonder why they crucified the annoying hippie bastard.
He was crucified because shit for brains cockroaches like you can't stand goodness and love.
If Mohammed was the fifth of five, or the “seal of the prophets” by Islamic interpretation, then Jesus Himself is counted in that religion as the fourth of the five prophets -- and it is forbidden even for Muslims to slander the name of Jesus even if they do not believe He is the Christ or the Son of God.

Acts 2:42

English Standard Version

The Fellowship of the Believers
42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
Let's get a King James Version. The English Standard Version is an unbeliever's book, not a faithful translation: it contains a number of hideously awful blunders and atrocious mistranslations.

I usually read the NABRE Edition 11,

They have Isa 7:14 right:

14Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign;* the young woman, pregnant and about to bear a son, shall name him Emmanuel.

Last edited:
1607722382547.png

Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
Luke 18:9-14

9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and despised others: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank thee that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

*****SMILE*****

:)

Why do you ask?
People pay tithes and church taxes, but Jesus made a whip of cords, and drove the money-changers, alms-collectors, and booksellers out of the temple of Jerusalem.
Well...I'm confused as to the point you are trying to make. So far..still confused where this is leading.
Probably wonders how we got to a situation of organized religion and to the point of church hierarchy acquiring so much wealth derived from worship.

English Standard Version

42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
Hey, an actual relevant verse.

Can you elaborate though. It seems that the chapter is about what the fellowship did and that they followed the apostles. That does not translate directly into advocating for attending church which is more structured, not headed by an 'apostle' unless I am incorrect in the meaning of that term and certainly does not justify the rather elaborate structure (both physical and hierarchical) that the church represents.

So far, I see a few salient verses that advocate for gathering but not necessarily for attending an actual church. I think that attending church has a lot more to it than simply gathering.

English Standard Version

Let's get a King James Version. The English Standard Version is an unbeliever's book, not a faithful translation: it contains a number of hideously awful blunders and atrocious mistranslations.

I believe in reading the whole bible.

Why do you ask?
And then he rode on the back of a scorpion across the water. Alas, the scorpion bit him anyway. But he rose from the dead 3 days later, just in time to remove a thorn from a lion's foot. As a way of thanking Jesus, the lion didn't eat him when they recreated the famous scenes from the Ridley Scott epic 'Gladiator'.
If you cannot address the post or believe in church or God or gods...get out. Thats what is wrong with this forum. Too many invade it to make fun of believers.

I doubt the OP's question was to mock believers. The facts are, whether you believe them or not, that Covid -19 is a serious virus and it is passed from person to person.

Telling anyone to "get out" for being an agnostic or an atheist is anti-American.

Thanks in advance.
First, who is arguing about attending church services? And why?

Otherwise...

When a family dinner is served, should a family member decline to come to table?
When a family dinner is served, what would you think about someone telling another family member they could not gather with the rest?

Likewise, if one is a member of a church or congregation, why should they decline to gather with the rest?
And, should any member of the congregation tell tell another not to join the gathering?

Why do you ask?

I doubt the OP's question was to mock believers. The facts are, whether you believe them or not, that Covid -19 is a serious virus and it is passed from person to person.

Telling anyone to "get out" for being an agnostic or an atheist is anti-American.
Was this a response to the OP? No. Was she telling anyone not a believer to get out? No.

The meaning was pretty clear, if you are here to mock people then get out. That is not anti-American in any shape or form.

Yea, I too dislike public prayers as they are usually for show. I wish someone would tell our president.
There is a difference between a single person praying in public and a public gathering of prayer. Jesus spoke against the former, but not the latter.

For many centuries, the only way to hear the word of God from a person knowledgeable about the bible was to attend church.

I was raised Catholic and attended mass (the name of a Catholic church service) every Saturday/Sunday for many years. I was bored out of my mind. I haven't been to a mass in years.

Within the past year, I have listened to Baptist Pastor John MacArthur, who does a phenomenal job of explaining various verses. I get FAR more out of listening to his sermons on YouTube than I ever got from going to Catholic masses.

I was wondering if there is a biblical argument for actually attending services because, to my knowledge, there isn't one. It seems that my understanding is accurate.

The internet has removed the necessity to attend services in-person in order to hear a preacher discuss God's word.

English Standard Version

Hey, an actual relevant verse.

Can you elaborate though. It seems that the chapter is about what the fellowship did and that they followed the apostles. That does not translate directly into advocating for attending church which is more structured, not headed by an 'apostle' unless I am incorrect in the meaning of that term and certainly does not justify the rather elaborate structure (both physical and hierarchical) that the church represents.

So far, I see a few salient verses that advocate for gathering but not necessarily for attending an actual church. I think that attending church has a lot more to it than simply gathering.
42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 And awe[d] came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

Be sure and tell the next President because he will have prayers at his inauguration just like every President does.

I'm not saying it should never be done. A presidential inauguration is fine, as long as it's done faithfully and isn't a circus. What I dislike are the pictures and videos of Trump surrounded by preachers participating in some public prayer display. Trump probably doesn't know better, but those preachers definitely should know better.

Why do you ask?
Sounds like felony armed bank robbery to me.

And then people wonder why they crucified the annoying hippie bastard.
He was crucified because shit for brains cockroaches like you can't stand goodness and love.
LOL! Can’t you just feel the goodness and love here?

Forum List

Back