Is there a BIBLICAL argument for attending church services?

In the church basement, on Mondays and Weds. the members of the church help pay bills. Gas bills, electric bills, doctor bills.
Get out of the bill-collecting district. It's a Christian church, mind you, Christian, and you're paying Old-Testament doctor bills to have your babies circumcised -- and that is only the beginning of horrors you inflict on the innocent ones in your self-righteousness.
When is the last time you handed out money to the poor?
If you aren't hiring the poor and paying them cash wages for hard work, or allowing them to go in business for themselves and take cash profits for what they produce, make, do and sell, then you are so inhospitable and uncharitable that your religion counts for nothing. Zilch.

The body of Christ.
"Do this in remembrance of me."
It can be done often and anywhere. Some churches have communion every week. You can have it daily with a piece of toast and a cup of coffee, or tea.
It is not the protacol that is important. It is the heartfelt remembering of the Lord that feeds our soul...

In the church basement, on Mondays and Weds. the members of the church help pay bills. Gas bills, electric bills, doctor bills.
Get out of the bill-collecting district. It's a Christian church, mind you, Christian, and you're paying Old-Testament doctor bills to have your babies circumcised -- and that is only the beginning of horrors you inflict on the innocent ones in your self-righteousness.
If you aren't hiring the poor and paying them cash wages for hard work, or allowing them to go in business for themselves and take cash profits for what they produce, make, do and sell, then you are so inhospitable and uncharitable that your religion counts for nothing. Zilch.

Have never seen a bill for circumcision, I have seen bills for cancer, diabetes, broken bones. It is the beginning of peace for the families being sued by the hospital. There is no horror involved, just people that still have heat in the winter thanks to the church.
My righteousness has 0 to do with it. This has everything to do with it:
James 1:27. “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

Stopping someone from going into business for themselves? Why would we do that? We think it's great to help someone stand on their own feet.

Now you. What have you done for the Lord lately? I'll bet it wasn't standing in the church kitchen serving Thanksgiving dinner all day, and then cleaning up afterwards...

The circumcision of a baby boy is done because it helps to prevent urinary tract infections, especially in the first year of life. UTI is about 10 times more common in uncircumcised males than circumcised infants. Circumcised men also seem to be at a lower risk for penile cancer, although the disease is rare in both circumcised and uncircumcised males. Some studies indicate that the procedure might offer an additional line of defense against sexually transmitted diseases like HIV in heterosexual men.
Problems, such as irritation, inflammation, and infection, are more common in uncircumcised males. It's easier to keep a circumcised penis clean, although uncircumcised boys can learn how to clean beneath the foreskin once they mature.

Have never seen a bill for circumcision, I have seen bills for cancer, diabetes, broken bones. It is the beginning of peace for the families being sued by the hospital. There is no horror involved, just people that still have heat in the winter thanks to the church.
My righteousness has 0 to do with it. This has everything to do with it:
James 1:27. “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

Stopping someone from going into business for themselves? Why would we do that? We think it's great to help someone stand on their own feet.

Now you. What have you done for the Lord lately? I'll bet it wasn't standing in the church kitchen serving Thanksgiving dinner all day, and then cleaning up afterwards...
so why are the desert religions opposed to communism if they are selfless - taking the spotlit off their martyrdom than simply administering care for the unfortunate being nothing more than a civic duty having nothing to do with religion.

the true purpose for gov't - christians swear in opposition.

Catholics go to Mass to receive the Body of Christ. Sure, you can watch Mass on EWTN but it isn't the same. If someone who attended Mass again and again doesn't know the Biblical reason for the Sacraments, he evidently choose to be bored rather than listen and learn.
And yet you do not post a biblical argument to go to church.

So far no one has posted one. Irish Ram is the closest as he did post a few relevant verses but no actual rationalization as to why they are relevant or how they support going to an institution with a preacher who tells you what the bible says rather than just gathering at your friends house to give glory to God.

That the Catholics do it is not a biblical argument. Most of what they do is not even in the bible but rather spelled out in the Cathecism. Much of the Catholic dogma is traditional rather than biblical.
At the Last Supper Jesus said do this in memory or me, he also said where two or more are gathered I am there. You can find that in the Bible. Meanwhile the OP who attended Mass ought to have some awareness that Catholic Church uses scripture and tradition...

Maybe this will help.

It is an odd question. Almost plaintive. A way around saying, "Do I have to?" Of course not. God meets us where we are. On the other hand, we know Jesus went to the Temple, also to Synagogue. We can also look within to our spirits: What is the ideal decision for me to make? Can we answer the question, What were the readings and the homily about today? What are the words to follow and/or to build on this week? How do I apply the theme of this day's lesson in my current life?

The most interesting answer the OP gave was to the question, "What were your expectations?" She said she had none. Isn't that like showing up at the dinner table and not expecting to eat? Going to one's job, but not expecting work? The higher the expectations the greater the interest in what is presented.

Catholics go to Mass to receive the Body of Christ. Sure, you can watch Mass on EWTN but it isn't the same. If someone who attended Mass again and again doesn't know the Biblical reason for the Sacraments, he evidently choose to be bored rather than listen and learn.

So far no one has posted one. Irish Ram is the closest as he did post a few relevant verses but no actual rationalization as to why they are relevant or how they support going to an institution with a preacher who tells you what the bible says rather than just gathering at your friends house to give glory to God.

That the Catholics do it is not a biblical argument. Most of what they do is not even in the bible but rather spelled out in the Cathecism. Much of the Catholic dogma is traditional rather than biblical.
At the Last Supper Jesus said do this in memory or me, he also said where two or more are gathered I am there. You can find that in the Bible. Meanwhile the OP who attended Mass ought to have some awareness that Catholic Church uses scripture and tradition...
I am sure he does and the statements referred to do not necessarily lead one to church over, as I stated earlier, just going to the neighbors house and venerating God. The question was rather specific - is there a biblical argument for church not is there a tradition of going to church. The latter is obvious, the former less so. It rather surprises me that there is not something more direct in the bible about church.

Not really. That is more about tradition than it is about biblical arguments. The opening statement is from the Catechism which rather reinforces my original statement. That the Catholics do it is not an argument that there is a biblical argument for church as most of what they do is not biblical at all.

I am sure he does and the statements referred to do not necessarily lead one to church over, as I stated earlier, just going to the neighbors house and venerating God. The question was rather specific - is there a biblical argument for church not is there a tradition of going to church. The latter is obvious, the former less so. It rather surprises me that there is not something more direct in the bible about church.

Not really. That is more about tradition than it is about biblical arguments. The opening statement is from the Catechism which rather reinforces my original statement. That the Catholics do it is not an argument that there is a biblical argument for church as most of what they do is not biblical at all.
The Book only is not the Catholic way. Obviously you are not interested in learning more about that. Have a blessed day.

Just because some don't like the answers they're getting doesn't mean they aren't getting answers. 'Church' is about a number of things, most of all for fellowship with other Christians. Everything else falls from that, from personal encouragement to social works to learning and teaching, etc. It's not like joining the military or anything, it's something believers should want to do. It was a tough world out there, after all, in the early days and for many it is now.

We can also look within to our spirits: What is the ideal decision for me to make?
there is nothing in the spirit of any living being even remotely associated with any scriptural religion, christian bible (messiah) - if that is advice for whether to attend a church service the answer would be a flat - no.

As soon as someone, a couple thousand years ago, decided maybe it was time to get Christianity 'organized'., meaning churches, services, hierarchy of church officials etc. it became a business for all intents and purposes.

As soon as someone, a couple thousand years ago, decided maybe it was time to get Christianity 'organized'., meaning churches, services, hierarchy of church officials etc. it became a business for all intents and purposes.
Christians suffered brutal and bloody persecution for 300 years following the ministry of Jesus Christ 30-33 A.D.

Then the Roman Emperor Constantine the Great allowed Christianity to become religio licita as the Roman Catholic Church when he bargained to gain control of the hierarchy of the church and to inflict even more horrible persecutions and grievous punishments on the Christians with racks and other instruments of torture in secret catacombs rather than throwing them to the lions in open coliseums for the amusement of Pagans.

This was known as the First Period of Visitation.
John Huss was burned at the stake during the Second Period of Visitation.
Dr. Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses on the church door of Wittenberg during the Third Period of Visitation.

A Fourth and final Period of Visitation is yet ongoing.

"Church" is difficult to define, but I think the New Testament is somewhat direct about it. Generally, it's the temple of God within the kingdom of God (the new living temple that the apostles and primitive Christians had begun to recognize and embrace). It's the bride of Christ (wed with Christ (one with Christ)), the new Jerusalem (although the idea of a city or country may refer more to the kingdom than the church).

In the decades after Christ, the apostles and primitive Christians began recognizing a manifestation of the church in local assemblies. However, the New Testament says nothing about these assemblies gathering on a Sabbath or in a "house of worship." The law changed. The priesthood changed. No more Sabbath; no more temple made with hands.

You're right, I think. The "church" has become very traditional; not that anything is wrong with tradition, per se, until it, and not the Scriptures, becomes the oracle of God.

The Book only is not the Catholic way. Obviously you are not interested in learning more about that. Have a blessed day.

That was MY POINT.

Holy crap. Are you being dense on purpose?

most of what they do is not biblical at all.
Nonsense

Your own link goes over that simple fact.

They are steeped in tradition that is simply not spelled out in the actual text.
Such as?
Virtually everything the church does. Most of it is out of tradition considering that pretty much no one has even bothered to put fourth a biblical argument for church attendance within a formal church infrastructure thus far let alone the thousand rituals that Chatillon churches go through. That the Catholic faith is steeped in tradition is repeated in almost every single paragraph in the provided like. A few highlights from the link:

The opening statement:
The Christian faith is not a "religion of the book." Christianity is the religion of the "Word" of God, a word which is "not a written and mute word, but the Word which is incarnate and living" (Catechism of The Catholic Church, No. 108).

and later
"The notion that Scripture should be interpreted in an isolated fashion apart from Tradition was foreign to the apostolic Church, as St. Paul attests: "Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours" (2 Thess. 2:15). It was not until Martin Luther and the Reformation in the sixteenth century that sola scriptura became entrenched in parts of Christendom. Thomas Bokenkotter wrote that for "Luther, 'Scripture alone' was the supreme authority in religion-and henceforth this phrase became the rallying cry of all Protestants" (A Concise History of the Catholic Church, 208). "

The Catholic Church has dozens of ritualistic practices that are very specific in how they are performed and why they are done. Virtually none of them are outlined in the bible even if there is a line or two that they use to justify why they perform them. For instance, the priesthood is supposed to remain celibate, the existence of the Pope and how the Pope is selected. The entire structure of the priesthood. Infant baptism, something that I have thus far not been able to locate in the bible but is considered an obligation under Catholic doctrine. Praying to (or as a Catholic might say petitioning) the saints which certainly is not in the bible and an argument can be made that it is antithetical to the bible. The very existence of the Catechism itself. It only exists to outline those things that are traditional or interpretive rather than directly spelled out in the text.

Not really. Jesus said that wherever two or more are gathered together in His name, there He is.

Doesn't say anything about where, just as long as there are two or more gathered together. And, it doesn't specify the number above 3.

That's a church

Forum List

Back