Liberals suspend college student for criticising Islam, mexicans, and Baltimore rioters.

Depends what college you go to. You think Bob Jones ever allowed that?

I'll bet they are a hell of a lot more tolerant of dissent than Harvard or Berkley.

Remind me when they had their last liberal speaker?
"Deny deny deny!" might be cute in law school but in the real world when you deny that colleges and universities have a strong Left wing bias, you look a little silly.

Watch "God's Not Dead" and stop being silly.

I'd be finding another university to attend. But so many are run by liberals it might be a little difficult to find one that won't punish you for your opinions.
Have you looked into Hillsdale?

Why would I?
It's conservative.

Ok....but I'm not looking for a college, I'm way past that point in my life! I just said I'd be looking for somewhere else to go to college instead of one that squelches free speech.

I'll bet they are a hell of a lot more tolerant of dissent than Harvard or Berkley.

"Deny deny deny!" might be cute in law school but in the real world when you deny that colleges and universities have a strong Left wing bias, you look a little silly.

I loved that movie!

Texas Christian University is a private institution. It also apparently has a code of conduct that students sign on to when they join.

http://www.studenthandbook.tcu.edu/
When students enter Texas Christian University, they take upon themselves certain responsibilities and obligations,
including satisfactory academic performance and social behavior consistent with the mission, philosophy and objectives
of Texas Christian University. Student conduct, therefore, is not considered in isolation within the college community
but as an integral part of the education process. This Code of Student Conduct outlines student behaviors specifically
prohibited at TCU, but is not exhaustive. Any conduct may be considered inappropriate and prohibited if it is inconsistent
with the University’s mission, vision, or core values. Members of the TCU community are committed to personal and
academic integrity, respect, honesty, compassion, and recognizing the inherent worth and dignity of all persons. TCU does
not tolerate behavior that contradicts these values. All students are expected to know and abide by this Code of Student
Conduct.

They are also recommended for those looking for a "conservative campus": Conservative Campuses CollegeXpress
Although not necessarily religious, these are colleges where values and morals are prized. There is less partying and more sexual abstention, less diversity in clothing styles and more traditional attitudes among students. Many students have a "Republican/right wing" political orientation and may believe that less government is good, that a strong military is a top priority, and that the federal government should not provide "handouts" to the poor. Some of these colleges have a rigid "core" education with required classes instead of electives.

So....the claim that liberals suspended anyone is likely faux. It's a private institution with a specified Code of Conduct.

People are just whining because a student broke the rules, got suspended, and his message happens to be approved bigotry so it's being called a free speech issue. Free speech doesn't always apply in a private institution.
If it accepts federal education subsidies then it's "code of conduct" is null and void when it conflicts with the student body's constitutional rights. Why is this so hard for you to grasp?

Texas Christian University is a private institution. It also apparently has a code of conduct that students sign on to when they join.

When students enter Texas Christian University, they take upon themselves certain responsibilities and obligations,
including satisfactory academic performance and social behavior consistent with the mission, philosophy and objectives
of Texas Christian University. Student conduct, therefore, is not considered in isolation within the college community
but as an integral part of the education process. This Code of Student Conduct outlines student behaviors specifically
prohibited at TCU, but is not exhaustive. Any conduct may be considered inappropriate and prohibited if it is inconsistent
with the University’s mission, vision, or core values. Members of the TCU community are committed to personal and
academic integrity, respect, honesty, compassion, and recognizing the inherent worth and dignity of all persons. TCU does
not tolerate behavior that contradicts these values. All students are expected to know and abide by this Code of Student
Conduct.

They are also recommended for those looking for a "conservative campus": Conservative Campuses CollegeXpress
Although not necessarily religious, these are colleges where values and morals are prized. There is less partying and more sexual abstention, less diversity in clothing styles and more traditional attitudes among students. Many students have a "Republican/right wing" political orientation and may believe that less government is good, that a strong military is a top priority, and that the federal government should not provide "handouts" to the poor. Some of these colleges have a rigid "core" education with required classes instead of electives.

So....the claim that liberals suspended anyone is likely faux. It's a private institution with a specified Code of Conduct.

People are just whining because a student broke the rules, got suspended, and his message happens to be approved bigotry so it's being called a free speech issue. Free speech doesn't always apply in a private institution.
If it accepts federal education subsidies then it's "code of conduct" is null and void when it conflicts with the student body's constitutional rights. Why is this so hard for you to grasp?

I can't find any evidence that it does - if that is so, please provide info.

I'd be finding another university to attend. But so many are run by liberals it might be a little difficult to find one that won't punish you for your opinions.

Why would I?
It's conservative.
Is it allowed to call Mexicans beaners there?
No. You're confused again. You are the racists, not us.

Ok, so Bob Jones has never had a liberal speaker yet is somehow a bastion of free speech. Or - let me fix that, curtailing some free speech is ok with you guys ;)

There are liberals at Texas Christian University?

Regardless - it's a private institution - they can set their own codes for free speech.
Not if they accept federal education subsidies.
what exactly does that mean?

Do you know of an institution of higher learning that was threatened with de-funding if their speech code didn't comply with some imagined standard of yours?

Conduct.

Almost certain that it does. Colleges that refuse federal funds, such as Hillsdale, are so rare that it shifts the burden of proof to you to prove it doesn't.

Conduct.

Almost certain that it does. Colleges that refuse federal funds, such as Hillsdale, are so rare that it shifts the burden of proof to you to prove it doesn't.

No. It does not shift the burden on me. You seem to think it does - prove it. You're asking me to prove a negative.

Unless you can prove it does then it's a private institution and can do what it wants just like any other private institution.

Why would I?
It's conservative.
But that would be a violation of free speech, which is what this thread is all about.

11825670_520911134727327_1892493622322582905_n.jpg
Do you people even know what the 1st Amendment protects?

You remind me of people who will say somebody arrested and on trial is 'innocent until proven guilty' without grasping what that phrase truly addresses

Why would I?
It's conservative.
But that would be a violation of free speech, which is what this thread is all about.

I luv you Ravi, but...

Free speech?

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting ...​

This isn't a First Amendment issue as much as it is a cultural issue.

Our colleges have become, amazingly, among the most intolerant, closed-minded, bigoted places in the country.

I never would have thought I'd see that.

The founders of the USA, both framers and ratifiers engaged in attempts at silencing critics or others they disagreed with. During the start of the American Revolution the Continental Congress and colony congresses demanded loyalty oaths of friends, neighbors, and family. They confiscated weapons and property when oaths were not forthcoming

what is it with people who confuse what the government is restricted from doing with what individuals and groups of people can do?

Our colleges have become, amazingly, among the most intolerant, closed-minded, bigoted places in the country.

Yes, they've always been bastions of say or do whatever the fuck you like. Oh wait, no, that's not true even in the Public Square. Oh well...

exaggeration, hyperbole, and outright falsehoods...

If you think colleges and universities are among "the most intolerant, closed-minded, bigoted places in the country" you need to get out more often. The fact that there are constant battles over this type of thing proves you wrong.

I never would have thought I'd see that..
Yes, they've always been bastions of say or do whatever the fuck you like. Oh wait, no, that's not true even in the Public Square. Oh well...
I can understand that you would like what has happened.

For me, it's sad to see.

Forum List

Back