Looks like Hurricane Milton is gonna be huge...Now a Cat 4

I ain't goin' nowhere. Cracka Powah! WoOOOoooo!
slaaaayer_large.gif
Stay safe.

They do this along the coastline quite frequently when the projected landfall is narrowed down. I know that in the FL panhandle (Pensacola, Destin, Ft. Walton, Perdido Key) authorities go door to door and make face to face contact with the residents. If people say they aren't leaving, they must sign a waiver and give next-of-kin info.

For those asking why do people stay knowing the storm is on the way - there's as many reasons as there are people that do it. Some are new to the area and don't believe all the hype, others have never been thru one and want to experience it, many have no money or other place to go, and some may be on farmland and don't want to leave their livestock to fend on their own. The further from the coast they are, the higher the chances that they'll be ok. We're not talking hundreds of miles, more like single digits.

I went through Hurricane Andrew. It ain't hype.

Not believing, does not in any way strip your rights.

Try again.
If they purposefully refuse to evacuate they’re putting the lives of the emergency responders who’ll have to rescue their asses at risk

They’re ignorant and selfish

Not to sound callous, but I still wonder why anyone would stay with this much advance warning

I get some people have limited income, but I really don’t get how or why anyone would stay behind with nearly a week’s warning

Well two days ago it was a potential storm, or not. Then a Cat 1 going into Florida. Now a Cat 3.

Two days or so ago it could have gone into Louisiana or Alabama or Mexico or Texas.

If they purposefully refuse to evacuate they’re putting the lives of the emergency responders who’ll have to rescue their asses at risk

Those who refuse to leave are on their own til after the storm. That is made clear when they refuse to leave.

It is mainly the flood areas that need to leave.

No, those that refuse to leave in areas of mandatory evacuations are required to sign a waiver stating they hold noone responsible for their safety but themselves and that they are aware no rescue efforts will be made to help them. They also have to give contact info for next-of-kin or someone else that authorities can call to identify their bodies afterwards.

Who’s predicting that it will make landfall as a category 3? Where are they getting that information?

Don’t these storms generally get stronger the longer they’re over the gulf waters?
Right now NOAA, but thats subject to change.

It is common though to open the flood gates when great amounts of rain are expected. Otherwise if the water tops the dam, the dam could fail. And that would be far worse for those downstream.
Yes....seems a lot of the flooding happened when they opened the flood gates.

And it seems that people seem to be building in known flood zones.

Kindof strange that so many people got flashfloods in areas that it almost never happens.

What's making it much worse is FEMA getting in everyone's way.

The hottest water temp Milton will encounter is around 90 degrees.....And it has not got there yet.

Tampa Bay's water temp is 85 degrees right now.
90 is a pressure cooker for a hurricane.

Forum List

Back