Minimum wage is already “livable”

Makes sense except for some states (Let’s just call them “Red States”) side with employers in providing them a low wage workforce.
That is why we need a Federal Minimum
Well, that and we don't want them siphoning business away from the high cost blue states. You do realize that if there are no lower cost areas in the States that the jobs will just go overseas, right?

I keep hearing the left say that minimum wage, which is what the lowest 2% of Americans earn, needs to be increased to where it provides a “livable“ wage. The disconnect comes in what is considered livable - even for teens who barely squeaked through high school and have no job skills beyond that which can be taught to a middle schooler in half a day.

The left considers “livable” to be a middle class existence - a decent one-bedroom apartment, a car, a vacation. Where they miss is that is the level to which people should ASPIRE, and the desire to do so is what incentivizes one to get some vocational training (at a minimum).

To me, “livable” is how every member of my family lived when we were first starting out: either renting a room in someone’s house, or sharing a two- or three-bedroom apartment with others. I considered myself “living” doing that - I took the subway to work, did my job, bought groceries, and other basics.

And THAT is the lifestyle of someone right out of college, earning starting wages, or of a new high school graduate who has no real job skills to offer. In the case of the former, it will be temporary; in the case of the latter, it is rarely permanent as most people acquire job skills with experience.
Here’s what you people can’t seem to grasp. There aren’t any state minimum wages that are live able either. That means that if you raised the federal wage to something higher than most state wages, it would fix the problem.

I’m glad I could point out this simple logic for you.

Zoning laws and covenants written into real estate deals prevent housing workers can afford from being built. No Republicans and conservatives have stood up to demand those restrictions on 'free markets' be declared illegal. Habitat For Humanity can't build them fast enough, and even they don't build them for free.
It has far more to do with land use restrictions and government regulations than covenants. Furthermore, government requires developers to create HOAs and impose covenants.

There is no free market, moron.

Here’s what you people can’t seem to grasp. There aren’t any state minimum wages that are live able either. That means that if you raised the federal wage to something higher than most state wages, it would fix the problem.

I’m glad I could point out this simple logic for you.
Here's what you don't understand: the term "livable wage" is meaningless. Raising the minimum wage only prices people with no skills out of the market.

Raising the minimum wage only prices people with no skills out of the market.
Many people seem to not understand that you can't really force a person to be more valuable than they actually are. Market constraints like that just make it harder for people at the bottom to find opportunities.

I keep hearing the left say that minimum wage, which is what the lowest 2% of Americans earn, needs to be increased to where it provides a “livable“ wage. The disconnect comes in what is considered livable - even for teens who barely squeaked through high school and have no job skills beyond that which can be taught to a middle schooler in half a day.

The left considers “livable” to be a middle class existence - a decent one-bedroom apartment, a car, a vacation. Where they miss is that is the level to which people should ASPIRE, and the desire to do so is what incentivizes one to get some vocational training (at a minimum).

To me, “livable” is how every member of my family lived when we were first starting out: either renting a room in someone’s house, or sharing a two- or three-bedroom apartment with others. I considered myself “living” doing that - I took the subway to work, did my job, bought groceries, and other basics.

And THAT is the lifestyle of someone right out of college, earning starting wages, or of a new high school graduate who has no real job skills to offer. In the case of the former, it will be temporary; in the case of the latter, it is rarely permanent as most people acquire job skills with experience.
Lol, minimum wage is 290 a week gross. Bring home likely 210 to 214. I live alone and suplement my groceries by hunting and fishing. I still spend about 60 to 80 dollars a week on groceries and 50 dollars a week on gas. There is 110 dollars a week leaving a hundred bucks for rent, clothes utilities car payment insurance shampoo etc, etc, etc, etc. Good fucking luck on minimum wage there ass clown. Go fuck your self .

Here's what you don't understand: the term "livable wage" is meaningless. Raising the minimum wage only prices people with no skills out of the market.
And yet there never seems to be any crisis every time states have raised their min wages.

And yet there never seems to be any crisis every time states have raised their min wages.
Not a crisis for you, perhaps. No one ever claimed the raising the minimum wage would cause a national crisis. They claim it causes unemployment, which is does.

Tell your mirror, hypocrite.
^^^ Interesting. I asked this liberal above to debate without the name-calling, and then I made an articulate point, to which is is unable to respond, so what does he do? Calls me a name.

Dang but my ignore list is getting long!

The employee is creating the wealth
If you are losing money on someone, you fire them

If those employees are no value to you…why do you have them?
First of all, it isn’t the employee creating the wealth. It’s the owner of the business who recognized a need and had the motivation, smarts, and discipline to create the business.

The employee helps facilitate the business. And nobody ever said the employee has NO value, just that some people have LOW value. So they get LOW wages. This isn’t rocket science.

You people come up with dumbest arguments lol. The obvious point is that none of the min wages are liveable.
Sure they are. You might just have to rent a room in someone’s house. My dad did that for three years, in his early days. You are claiming he wasn’t living?

Last edited:
You think people are raising families on $300 a month without working?
We’ve been through this before. It’s allows the spouse doing supplemental part-time work to quit her job if she has three or four kids.

Forum List

Back