Minimum wage is already “livable”

Zoning laws and covenants written into real estate deals prevent housing workers can afford from being built. No Republicans and conservatives have stood up to demand those restrictions on 'free markets' be declared illegal.

It has far more to do with land use restrictions and government regulations than covenants. Furthermore, government requires developers to create HOAs and impose covenants.

There is no free market, moron.

Says the moron who thinks REpublicans oppose government regulations and 'free markets' actually exist.

It's not incumbent on an employer to pay his employees a "living wage". While many do (I do), it's important to be mindful of the fact that every job has a value, and that value is not determined by whether or not the person doing it can afford generic Pop Tarts or the real thing.

Running my supply chain is worth a lot more than minimum wage. Making coffee and mopping floors aren't.

Almost no one who works for me is paid minimum wage. The few who do are working to get spots elsewhere in the company because there will come a time when their current jobs are eliminated and contracted out...

My electric bill was $149 last month for my 2600 sq. ft. house and I pay less than $30.00 each month for water. Trash is $18.00 per month.
Man.

When I lived in San Diego my electric bill was right around $400 a month, and that was without running AC in the summer. We had a pool, though, and that filter was no joke...

Then minimum wage laws don't need to exist at all. A grown adult shouldn't be told by the government that they can't trade their labor for less than an amount specified by the government.

EDIT: By the way there are lefties in this thread that think the federal minimum wage should be $19/hr or more. Would that qualify as a mandated constraint on labor?
Desperate to cover up the fact there is no 'free market' for labor, are you? of course you are; most of the right wing ideologues here love class warfare as much as their left wing partners do. For some reason they feel the same away about limited liability for business owners and stock holders having a floor on their losses. Bad management gets a pass.

Desperate to cover up the fact there is no 'free market' for labor, are you? of course you are; most of the right wing ideologues here love class warfare as much as their left wing partners do.
I support universal healthcare and publicly funded college tuition. Am I still a right wing ideologue?

I'm also pro-choice. I don't think AGW is a globalist conspiracy. Hmm, what else? Huge supporter of net neutrality. Still a right wing ideologue?

Dumbass.

Do better.

So what? You love abusing workers and allowing assholes to cheat them.

You say you weren’t asking me, but you did say that MW isn’t livable despite what the OP said. I’m the OP, and I explained (again) why it is,
View attachment 564620

You say you weren’t asking me, but you did say that MW isn’t livable

I didn't say that.....

1637034724145.png

Because raising the federa min wage to something that exceeds most state minimum wages would benefit those workers as well

It would increase labor costs across the board making automation to replace those humans more attractive. Automation is the largest blue-collar jobs killer in the country. No reason to put that on steroids.

I keep hearing the left say that minimum wage, which is what the lowest 2% of Americans earn, needs to be increased to where it provides a “livable“ wage. The disconnect comes in what is considered livable - even for teens who barely squeaked through high school and have no job skills beyond that which can be taught to a middle schooler in half a day.

The left considers “livable” to be a middle class existence - a decent one-bedroom apartment, a car, a vacation. Where they miss is that is the level to which people should ASPIRE, and the desire to do so is what incentivizes one to get some vocational training (at a minimum).

To me, “livable” is how every member of my family lived when we were first starting out: either renting a room in someone’s house, or sharing a two- or three-bedroom apartment with others. I considered myself “living” doing that - I took the subway to work, did my job, bought groceries, and other basics.

And THAT is the lifestyle of someone right out of college, earning starting wages, or of a new high school graduate who has no real job skills to offer. In the case of the former, it will be temporary; in the case of the latter, it is rarely permanent as most people acquire job skills with experience.

The "left" advocate for at least $15/hr, which comes out to $28,800 for an entire year, assuming some job will allow you to work 40 hours a week, many don't. The only disconnect here is that in your warped mind you think 28k a year is a middle class existence, which is what 15/hr gets you. Wow, really? Minimum wage should at least match the level of inflation. That's all is being advocated for here, and even that low low standard is not being met. A $15/hr job allows many to get off government welfare, that's about it, you are still dirt poor by most standards. Any person making that little is likely living pay check to paycheck with little to any money saved up and probably doesn't even own a car to get to work in. And here's the kicker, that amount far exceeds the max allowed to sign up for medicaid, which means you have sign up with obamacare. That's an extra $500-600/mo in my state for the bare minimum plan that only covers 70%. I guess you better not get sick or have an injury. What is there left after taxes? You call that living, much less a middle class existence? Imagine if you had to support a family on half that income like yours likely did, and then worry if one or more of the providers in the family gets sick or injured.

What's deeply shameful about this post is that the OP lived in abject poverty and ruin with his family, so he thinks everyone should go through the same horrors he and his parents did of making $5/hr or whatever, so they can share a 3 bedroom apt with other poor people and families. These are practically third world living conditions you're talking about. Do you think your parents might have wanted to be paid just a tad bit more so you and your family wouldn't have to live that way, or are you imagining that they welcomed the "motivation" of living on slave wages so they can "aspire" to make more? Why must it be one or the other? Why can't ppl make just enough to live like a normal person by most standards? smh

Forum List

Back