Pit bulls are safe around children!

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (283). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74% of these deaths.

2013-dog-bite-fatality-chart.gif

The FACTS you folks want to ignore

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, two dog breeds accounted for 74% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.

71% of the pit bull fatalities have occurred in the past 10 years; 42% in the past four years; 24% in the past two years.

Over 700 U.S. cities have adopted breed-specific laws since the mid 1980s, just after pit bulls (fighting dogs) began leaking into the general population.

By 2017, pit bulls are projected to maul 305 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans, about one citizen every 18.6 days.

In 2013, over one-third, 38%, of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred.

In 2012, more than 27,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs.

In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, 18% of all fatal dog attacks occurred off owner property. Pit bulls were responsible for 81% of these attacks.

In the first eight months of 2011, nearly half of the persons killed by a pit bull was the dog's owner and primary caretaker.

Over 35 countries across the world regulate dangerous dog breeds with breed-specific laws including: France, Norway, Spain, Portugal and Great Britain.

In 2011, adult victims of fatal pit bull attacks more than doubled the number of child victims.

A study published in 2010 showed there were 4 times as many dog bite-related ED visits and 3 times as many hospital stays in rural areas than in urban areas.

Pit bull terriers were selectively bred for a violent activity that is now a felony in all 50 U.S. states: dogfighting.

Over 290 U.S. military bases governed by the U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps and Navy regulate dangerous dog breeds.

Dog attack victims suffer over $1 billion in monetary losses annually. JAMA reports this estimate to be as high as $2 billion.

A 2010 study showed that the average cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay was $18,200, about 50% higher than the average injury-related hospital stay.

Dog bites occur every 75 seconds in the United States. Each day, over 1,000 citizens need emergency medical care to treat these injuries.

Dog bites are the fifth highest reason why children seek emergency room treatment due to activities they voluntarily engage in, such as playing sports.

Obviously how the dog is raised and handled plays a huge role, but not always.
For instance, I have a dog that is now 12 years old, I got him from a shelter when he was under a year old. I've raised him with love, and he has a wonderful life that only 1% of dogs are fortunate enough to have.
The thing is though, he absolutely goes nuts when he sees another dog. I take him everywhere with me, and if we pass someone walking their dog, or if he spots a dog in another yard, he goes ballistic. I've never seen anything like it. He has destroyed several sets of seat belts, and other items. When he sees a dog, he immediately starts biting at whatever is nearby. I've tried many things including medication, training, even a dog shrink. Nothing has worked, and now that he's an old dog, he's obviously not going to change.

I point this out simply to say, you cannot always count on how a dog is raised to be assured he won't harm someone.
In the case of pitbulls, you have to always keep in mind, that if they do ever go off the rails and attack someone, they have the tools to do a lot of damage.
You as the owner, have to take that liability on whether you like it or not.

Last edited:
In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (283). Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 74% of these deaths.

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, two dog breeds accounted for 74% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.

71% of the pit bull fatalities have occurred in the past 10 years; 42% in the past four years; 24% in the past two years.

Over 700 U.S. cities have adopted breed-specific laws since the mid 1980s, just after pit bulls (fighting dogs) began leaking into the general population.

By 2017, pit bulls are projected to maul 305 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.

In the 9-year period from 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans, about one citizen every 18.6 days.

In 2013, over one-third, 38%, of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred.

In 2012, more than 27,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs.

In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, 18% of all fatal dog attacks occurred off owner property. Pit bulls were responsible for 81% of these attacks.

In the first eight months of 2011, nearly half of the persons killed by a pit bull was the dog's owner and primary caretaker.

Over 35 countries across the world regulate dangerous dog breeds with breed-specific laws including: France, Norway, Spain, Portugal and Great Britain.

In 2011, adult victims of fatal pit bull attacks more than doubled the number of child victims.

A study published in 2010 showed there were 4 times as many dog bite-related ED visits and 3 times as many hospital stays in rural areas than in urban areas.

Pit bull terriers were selectively bred for a violent activity that is now a felony in all 50 U.S. states: dogfighting.

Over 290 U.S. military bases governed by the U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps and Navy regulate dangerous dog breeds.

Dog attack victims suffer over $1 billion in monetary losses annually. JAMA reports this estimate to be as high as $2 billion.

A 2010 study showed that the average cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay was $18,200, about 50% higher than the average injury-related hospital stay.

Dog bites occur every 75 seconds in the United States. Each day, over 1,000 citizens need emergency medical care to treat these injuries.

Dog bites are the fifth highest reason why children seek emergency room treatment due to activities they voluntarily engage in, such as playing sports.

Averaging just under 20 deaths per year. In a population of over 310 million, that is quite rare.

Should owners be held liable and responsible for their dogs? Yes.
Should the breed be destroyed and removed? No.

Are these reports supposed to change my mind? Make me feel wrong, perhaps? My opinion remains the same.

Get educated about them. I know a lot about pits and they don't scare me. What is it you think you know about them?

this one is my first pit ever, I am really supprised by how gentle he was, and when I rescued him was looking for any sign that he was a danger to people, i was ready to take him to the pound in the begining if he appeared to be agressive. I found that they need love but also require a lot of discipline so they know that they are answerable to humans.
I think that maybe the mistake owners make is they either neglect and outright abuse them, or they let the dog become the Alpha and think that they are in charge. I'm absoluteley NOT afraid of this dog because I interact with it on a daily basis. Still though
Im extremely cautious with him around any children. As much as he has an amazing personality, I always have to remember he is just a dog

How old was he when you got him? Is he more excited around kids or is he standoffish? I make it a practice not to get any dog unless its a puppy less than 4 months. I like to check their temperament when they are young. They definitely need to know you are the alpha. Due to the amount of damage they can do that is an absolute must that they know who is in charge.

This one was a stray dog, approximately 8 months or so, hard to tell. No. hes not standoffish around kids, he wags his tail and bobs his head up and down like he wants to play, but he doesnt jump up on people with his paws. This one has an obsession with catching a ball. responds well to voice commands. still cautious around kids just because though

I'll be glad when our dog is dead. He's a mutt with just enough Chow to give him that attitude.

Pit Bulls are an abomination of canine cross-breading.

Not really. They are a breed that line breeding/cross breeding has destroyed because thugs needed accessories to their baggy pants and bling. All dogs bite. Not just Pitts. And other breeds dont make the news like pits when they do. Matter of fact, many mutts that attack are marked as pit/pit mixes when they are not even close. Pits are awesome dogs. I have hunted hogs with many and my kids grew up with them just like I did. Have yot to have any of us bitten. Way back when in Ireland pitts weren't called pit bulls. They were called "The family dogs".

How many times are we going to see these stories of people being mauled by pit bulls? You always hear the same thing from pit bull enthusiasts, "it depends on how they are raised. My pit bull is as gentle as can be!". Its funny how the owners of the pit bulls that attack people always say "I cant believe it, my pit bulls played with my children." Well guess what, this kid was around these pit bulls before without incident, then suddenly one day these "peaceful" dogs killed a child and mauled his pregnant mother.

These dogs are ticking time bombs, therefore they aren't fit for domestication. They should be outlawed!

Police identify boy, 4, killed in dog attack

I think the breed originated as war dogs, bred to attack and kill humans. Certainly the Germans developed a couple of those breeds as did many other cultures. My friend had a doberman who are unpredictable in the same way. The family praised the creature, a female who basically was easy going if weird. Then one day for no apparent reason the dog up and viciously attacked my friend. They had to give it away or put it down. If forget. It was a long time ago.

Nope, and calling BS.

I've lived with pitbulls and, if they're raised with love, they are the most loving animals out there.

They're not evil, but misunderstood. It is the owner who abuses the dogs that is to blame here.
You cant claim abuse, with zero evidence to support the claim.

This is exactly what im talking about. This post is what every owner says before his dog mauls someone, then when they attack they are so shocked, despite the fact that they are notorious for doing so.

^Manni sock.

Averaging just under 20 deaths per year. In a population of over 310 million, that is quite rare.

Should owners be held liable and responsible for their dogs? Yes.
Should the breed be destroyed and removed? No.

You continue to dismiss. You need to LOOK man. There is a very clear FACT. Pit bulls are a very small percentage of the dog population and a HUGE percentage of fatal and maiming attacks.

How many times are we going to see these stories of people being mauled by pit bulls? You always hear the same thing from pit bull enthusiasts, "it depends on how they are raised. My pit bull is as gentle as can be!". Its funny how the owners of the pit bulls that attack people always say "I cant believe it, my pit bulls played with my children." Well guess what, this kid was around these pit bulls before without incident, then suddenly one day these "peaceful" dogs killed a child and mauled his pregnant mother.

These dogs are ticking time bombs, therefore they aren't fit for domestication. They should be outlawed!

Police identify boy, 4, killed in dog attack

well pit bulls are safe around children.

The question is are children safe around pit bulls?

Ownership of a dog is the persons responsibility that owns the dog. Like it or not pit bulls have a reputation for being aggressive. This will be taken in account in any litigation.

Forum List

Back