Politicians: Diversity is what makes us great!

It is not isolationism...it is simply protecting our workers, our economy and our nation.

In order to compete with the likes of China, the EU and other nations...we must have a strong industrial capacity....especially to maintain our national security...look how quickly during WWII were were able to switch over from making automobiles to making tanks etc.

Without that industrial capacity we could not have won WWII.

You can't have a strong anything if the consumer refuses to support it.

Years ago when I went to my hardware store, the owner asked me about my profession. I asked if he knew somebody that wanted to get into trucking? He sadly said yes, it's me. I'm closing down.

At the time, a new Home Depot opened up about five miles away, and his claim was they were stealing all his customers. He said "I was always proud of my plumbing department. I went to Home Depot, and not only do they put my selection to shame, but the prices as well."

After he closed down, I was making a delivery to one of our customers. One of the workers who I knew lived in the area and approached me. He said "Hey! Did you hear the hardware store closed down at the plaza???" I told him I did. He said "That isn't right! How could he do that to us?"

So I asked: The last five times you needed hardware, where did you shop? He ashamedly said "Home Depot." I replied, that's why he closed down!

The consumere would not have that power if we restrict foreign goods coming in here at prices so cheap the consumers will rush to buy the foreign crap....very true that consumers are not patriotic enough...at least most of them...to buy American when American stuff is more expensive...hence eliminate the cheap foreign stuff and they have no power to destroy our workers and the middle class as well as American business owners.

Which is isolationism.

Not in tne strict sense of the term...True isolationism is when you refuse to get involved with other nations like in WWII --we were letting nazi germany overrun europe....because the people did not want to get involved did not want to go to war...not understanding the necessity of it...but I have no problem with anyone calling it that or whatever you want...the fact remains we must take care of our own first.

What you are suggesting is to remove all reasonable competition to force Americans to buy American made products. I'm sorry, but that is the definition of isolationism.

Instead of getting long winded about this, I suggest you read this very short piece by economist Professor Walter E Williams. It clearly explains the advantage of international trade. The article is over ten years old, but the statistics Professor Williams offers are unchallenged, and many of the principals are still valid today.

Foreign Trade Angst

The key word....reasonable. Is it reasonable for us to allow cheap foreign labor to destroy our industry. That is what we did.

I disagree with what the article sited as reasons for the loss of so many good paying jobs in America...sure technology has advanced and workers in China, Japan were being trained for those jobs whereas Americans were not because the suppliers of technology had been conditioned to rely on other nations for their products...this should never have been allowed to happen. We need a massive effort to retrain our workers in all fields especially in electronics, hgh tech products and so forth.

I nor Trump is against international trade...Trump just wants a fair shake...to negotiate good deals...unlike past presidents who consistently made bad deals.

What was wrong with NAFTA......Fact Check: Trump Says NAFTA Was the Worst Trade Deal the U.S. Ever Signed

Last edited:

If it was that bad he ought to have done more than just tweak and rename it then huh?

I have no idea what you are talkling about...care to go into some detail on that?

I just got a message from the above poster...he said he reported me ...he claims I provided no information or something like that...I merely axed him to explain what he was talking about...must have upset him. hehheh

psssst lesh....you are now on ignore for making a false report on me. hehheh

What’s The Problem With “Free Trade”? | OurFuture.org by People's Action

Why Trump is Right About Tariffs

Last edited:
My views on diversity may be biased, as I am a product of a foreign culture and upbringing. I say biased because having first hand experience has given me some undeniable insight into the common struggles undergone by any and all indigenous and migrating people. The struggles I am referring to include both the difficulty that brought about the initial drive for change as well as the after effects of the adaptation process. In my case the drive towards change came about as the sum of experiences that my family underwent while living in the former Soviet Union. It was precisely this sum of experiences that inspired, and encouraged my family to risk everything for a chance at a better life.

The opportunities created by the influx of diverse cultures are the various specialties and skills that people from other parts of the world bring to our society. America has been benefiting from its diverse make up since its inception. The greatest benefit of a diverse population is the enlightenment that can be derived from it by the populace as a whole. The benefits of vast diversity are no longer specific to one nation as it may have predominately existed in past history. Contemporary times have allowed us to see the effects of diversity on a global scale. It is no longer unusual to see nations once characterized by only a few major ethnic, racial and religious groups, evolving into a plethora of such groups or a microcosm of the world in its entirety. Much of these fairly recent changes can be attributed to technological advancements that have contributed to enhancements in educational opportunities and radical systematic overhauls throughout the world.

The greatest challenges brought on by greater diversity lay in how we adapt to such change. In many cases the additions of new populations have brought out the worst in people as well. It is just as much a part of human nature to embrace and include, as it is to expel and isolate. Adaptation (or lack there of) to diversity is nothing new. We can see countless examples of such shifts throughout history. Time and time again we see how important of a role economic stability plays in a nation’s ability to deal with increasing diversity. Diversity can very easily become viewed as a threat to society if it is accompanied by a lull in economic expansion. A diverse society can either use its differences to unite into a stronger whole or to fragment into a division of many, a nation of none.

diversity-anyone-who-accuses-gop-leadership-of-mindless-conformity-has-32191976.png
I look at the value of diversity form the business standpoint. One of the most important ingredients for creative thinking is diversity. It's a fact that diverse teams produce more creative results than teams in which all members are from a similar background.

I've found that if you put a dozen people from different backgrounds, races, and cultures together you're going to get more creative ideas. This is increditably important in American today. We can't compete in the world without it.

Differences are not inherently beneficial
The need to be forced to absorb them is dubious

veryone I knew growing up in Michigan knew that unions made the greatest middle class the world had ever seen. 1 in 5 men worked for the big three and they even raised the wages of the non union workers. Non union companies had to compete. Workers never made so much.

Republicans and corporations didn’t like this.

How have those unions worked out for Michigan? Detroit? Flint?
They worked out great. Michigan sucked after they left. America shouldn't have let them leave. And Toyota/Honda workers down south should organize.

The corporations won. And they didn't send their jobs to the dirty south where unions don't exist. Why not? Why did they bypass you and go to Mexico? I'd be ok if they moved to Kentucky not Chiwawa.

In rich countries, the middle class is getting smaller and smaller, generation by generation

Across Western Europe and North America, the middle class is shrinking. With each new generation, a smaller share of the population find themselves earning middle incomes.

When the Baby Boomers were in their twenties, some 68% were in middle-income households. Only 60% of Millennials can say the same at a similar time in their lives.

middle incomes have increased by just 0.3% per year, on average, over the past decade. That's true in red states too. Unions brought wages up. No unions, no wage increases. NO coincidence.

The gradual hollowing out of the middle class is a complicated story. For example, in the US, the Pew Research Center found that America’s shrinking middle class is the result of some people slipping into lower income classes, but an even larger share of the population rising into the upper classes. However, these figures disguise intergenerational inequality. Research led by Harvard’s Raj Chetty has shown that social mobility is declining, as fewer children earn more than their parents.

Indeed, for each new generation in the OECD’s aggregate average, the middle class is getting smaller, the upper class is stable, and the lower class is expanding.

traditional middle-class jobs are threatened by automation, and it now takes more skills and more earners for a household to make it into the middle class. “The middle class used to be an aspiration. For many generations it meant the assurance of living in a comfortable house and affording a rewarding lifestyle,” the OECD said. “However, there are now signs that this bedrock of our democracies and economic growth is not as stable as in the past.”

Come on Trump MAGA!!!

Reagan was the beginning of the end. In the years union membership went from 35% to 10, wages have gone down.

If you are a libertarian type who thinks the free market will set a fair wage you are wrong. Unions keep wages up. You know how to attack them but you don’t have a clue how important they are.

I think unions aren’t as bad today as they were. But you attack them no matter what. Probably because you don’t understand their value.

Yes weve all seen bad union stories. Get over it. Corporations would love to do away with unions, labor laws, minimium wage, social security

Are you a libertarian?

What unions did was force companies to overpay employees. So of course when they left, wages went down. But Reagan having something to do with it just because of the traffic controllers is nothing but a myth.

First off, the American consumer no longer supported unions. We used to buy mostly American made products. With unions, those products cost more and more, so eventually the consumers went to cheaper foreign products, and still do today.

It was less Reagan's choice than it was American consumers. Companies were forced to compete with foreign labor, and you can't do that by hiring people to drive around on floor sweepers for 25 bucks an hour plus outstanding benefits.

Yes I do attack unions because as a person who worked in industry for over three decades, I've had plenty of experiences with them. In the day, if I delivered to a new company I've never been to before and knew nothing about, I could tell you within ten minutes if they were union or not. I could write a book on my union experiences.

As for my politics, I consider myself to be 70% conservative and about 30% Libertarian, although I just consider myself conservative since that's where most of my values are. I would be a Libertarian if not for their stance on our military and recreational narcotics usage.

No doubt there were a lot of problems with unions many of them were run by organized crime to begin with....but the real problem was that we allowed so much cheap stuff to come into America...especially automobiles...but the list goes on and on.

That was what really screwed Ameican workers.

Unions accomplished a lot for American workers...anyone who does not know that is clueless...do a liittle research on the work conditions in the automobile industry before the unions came in...that should be an eye opener for anyone that is anti-union.

Unions were valuable at one time. The problem with unions is like anything else. They thought they were too big to fail.

So their demands kept getting more expensive and more intrusive on the companies they dominated. It got to the point a business had only two choices: move out of the state or country altogether to get rid of the unions, or join their employees in the unemployment line when they closed up shop.
The answer isn’t to do away with unions. They need reforming. During the great bush recession they were forced to. But when things got better they got profit sharing.

Are unions still as bad as they used to be? I bet not.

It’s like Detroit. You guys think it’s a lot worse than it actually is

You can't reform unions. You either have them or you don't. During the Bush years is when I experienced the most companies leaving our city and state. We lost a lot of customers over the years because of unions, and perhaps that's why I hold them responsible for the decline of our businesses.

In rich countries, the middle class is getting smaller and smaller, generation by generation

How come these things are all true in non union states too then? You would think the middle class would be shrinking in blue union states but booming in red right to work states.

I can’t deny unions go too far but they still are an important force for labor.

Where? What part of the private workforce is part of a union today?
Unions still keep wages higher for workers than if unions didn't exist.

For example, you guys brag about these non union toyota plants down south. Little do you know very few people in those plants are actual toyota employees. Most of the people in those plants are temps and subcontractors. Most of those people are struggling. But down south people are just happy to have work even if it's shitty and low pay. Better than nothing.

Hey, I am ok with the shrinking middle class. I'm one of those people who no longer belong to the middle class. I'm now upper middle.

What unions did was force companies to overpay employees. So of course when they left, wages went down. But Reagan having something to do with it just because of the traffic controllers is nothing but a myth.

First off, the American consumer no longer supported unions. We used to buy mostly American made products. With unions, those products cost more and more, so eventually the consumers went to cheaper foreign products, and still do today.

It was less Reagan's choice than it was American consumers. Companies were forced to compete with foreign labor, and you can't do that by hiring people to drive around on floor sweepers for 25 bucks an hour plus outstanding benefits.

Yes I do attack unions because as a person who worked in industry for over three decades, I've had plenty of experiences with them. In the day, if I delivered to a new company I've never been to before and knew nothing about, I could tell you within ten minutes if they were union or not. I could write a book on my union experiences.

As for my politics, I consider myself to be 70% conservative and about 30% Libertarian, although I just consider myself conservative since that's where most of my values are. I would be a Libertarian if not for their stance on our military and recreational narcotics usage.

No doubt there were a lot of problems with unions many of them were run by organized crime to begin with....but the real problem was that we allowed so much cheap stuff to come into America...especially automobiles...but the list goes on and on.

That was what really screwed Ameican workers.

Unions accomplished a lot for American workers...anyone who does not know that is clueless...do a liittle research on the work conditions in the automobile industry before the unions came in...that should be an eye opener for anyone that is anti-union.

Unions were valuable at one time. The problem with unions is like anything else. They thought they were too big to fail.

So their demands kept getting more expensive and more intrusive on the companies they dominated. It got to the point a business had only two choices: move out of the state or country altogether to get rid of the unions, or join their employees in the unemployment line when they closed up shop.
The answer isn’t to do away with unions. They need reforming. During the great bush recession they were forced to. But when things got better they got profit sharing.

Are unions still as bad as they used to be? I bet not.

It’s like Detroit. You guys think it’s a lot worse than it actually is

We need unions that actually look out for the White Working Class....which is not the case with unions these days and has not been the case for decades....that is one of the big reasons for the shredding of the white middle class...that combined with the government allowing cheap foreign stuff into America...especially automobiles.

I don't think it has anything to do with the unions. From my experiences, some companies replaced (or are in the process of replacing) their mostly white crew with blacks. Why? Because blacks are willing to work for less money.

The cost of living is usually lower where they live, so they can afford not to make as much as the white suburbanites. So the company offers jobs for lower wages that whites won't apply for. The blacks easily get the jobs and eventually whites are replaced.

I don't care if black Americans get the jobs. Better than Mexicans or Chinese. Same way I wish Ford would have moved to Kentucky instead of Mexico. At least in Kentucky Americans are the ones being paid. They may not be wages I would be happy with but they seem to be happy with them.

And Ray, stop crying that you can't pick cotton anymore because farmers hire mexican and blacks who do it better and cheaper. Go do something else.

In fact, I think Mexican truckers will drive circles around you and for much less than you make. And that's good for corporations and shareholders. You're a shareholder too right? You have a 401K? Then you should want the cheap labor. You as a white man can go find work more suite to you. Sorry the cotton gin was invented too.

veryone I knew growing up in Michigan knew that unions made the greatest middle class the world had ever seen. 1 in 5 men worked for the big three and they even raised the wages of the non union workers. Non union companies had to compete. Workers never made so much.

They worked out great. Michigan sucked after they left. America shouldn't have let them leave. And Toyota/Honda workers down south should organize.

The corporations won. And they didn't send their jobs to the dirty south where unions don't exist. Why not? Why did they bypass you and go to Mexico? I'd be ok if they moved to Kentucky not Chiwawa.

Across Western Europe and North America, the middle class is shrinking. With each new generation, a smaller share of the population find themselves earning middle incomes.

When the Baby Boomers were in their twenties, some 68% were in middle-income households. Only 60% of Millennials can say the same at a similar time in their lives.

middle incomes have increased by just 0.3% per year, on average, over the past decade. That's true in red states too. Unions brought wages up. No unions, no wage increases. NO coincidence.

The gradual hollowing out of the middle class is a complicated story. For example, in the US, the Pew Research Center found that America’s shrinking middle class is the result of some people slipping into lower income classes, but an even larger share of the population rising into the upper classes. However, these figures disguise intergenerational inequality. Research led by Harvard’s Raj Chetty has shown that social mobility is declining, as fewer children earn more than their parents.

Indeed, for each new generation in the OECD’s aggregate average, the middle class is getting smaller, the upper class is stable, and the lower class is expanding.

traditional middle-class jobs are threatened by automation, and it now takes more skills and more earners for a household to make it into the middle class. “The middle class used to be an aspiration. For many generations it meant the assurance of living in a comfortable house and affording a rewarding lifestyle,” the OECD said. “However, there are now signs that this bedrock of our democracies and economic growth is not as stable as in the past.”

Come on Trump MAGA!!!

The Party Of Filth And Foreigners has decided that an expanded underclass is better for America than is a healthy middle class. No country could plant 20-40 million bottom feeding thirdworlders among their population and be able to sustain a prosperous middle / working class.

I can’t deny unions go too far but they still are an important force for labor.

Where? What part of the private workforce is part of a union today?
Unions still keep wages higher for workers than if unions didn't exist.

For example, you guys brag about these non union toyota plants down south. Little do you know very few people in those plants are actual toyota employees. Most of the people in those plants are temps and subcontractors. Most of those people are struggling. But down south people are just happy to have work even if it's shitty and low pay. Better than nothing.

Hey, I am ok with the shrinking middle class. I'm one of those people who no longer belong to the middle class. I'm now upper middle.
so then screw em ?
Working at Volkswagen in Chattanooga, TN: 61 Reviews about Pay & Benefits | Indeed.com
Volkswagen employees have zero complaints about pay and benefits...they love em
except for no pay for lunch time
theyre bitching about management and long hours ...
the Kentucky Toyota plant is supposed to be the mac daddy of em all .
they really helped regional manufactures that are in their supply chain and are responsible for creating well paying jobs across the region

My views on diversity may be biased, as I am a product of a foreign culture and upbringing. I say biased because having first hand experience has given me some undeniable insight into the common struggles undergone by any and all indigenous and migrating people. The struggles I am referring to include both the difficulty that brought about the initial drive for change as well as the after effects of the adaptation process. In my case the drive towards change came about as the sum of experiences that my family underwent while living in the former Soviet Union. It was precisely this sum of experiences that inspired, and encouraged my family to risk everything for a chance at a better life.

The opportunities created by the influx of diverse cultures are the various specialties and skills that people from other parts of the world bring to our society. America has been benefiting from its diverse make up since its inception. The greatest benefit of a diverse population is the enlightenment that can be derived from it by the populace as a whole. The benefits of vast diversity are no longer specific to one nation as it may have predominately existed in past history. Contemporary times have allowed us to see the effects of diversity on a global scale. It is no longer unusual to see nations once characterized by only a few major ethnic, racial and religious groups, evolving into a plethora of such groups or a microcosm of the world in its entirety. Much of these fairly recent changes can be attributed to technological advancements that have contributed to enhancements in educational opportunities and radical systematic overhauls throughout the world.

The greatest challenges brought on by greater diversity lay in how we adapt to such change. In many cases the additions of new populations have brought out the worst in people as well. It is just as much a part of human nature to embrace and include, as it is to expel and isolate. Adaptation (or lack there of) to diversity is nothing new. We can see countless examples of such shifts throughout history. Time and time again we see how important of a role economic stability plays in a nation’s ability to deal with increasing diversity. Diversity can very easily become viewed as a threat to society if it is accompanied by a lull in economic expansion. A diverse society can either use its differences to unite into a stronger whole or to fragment into a division of many, a nation of none.

diversity-anyone-who-accuses-gop-leadership-of-mindless-conformity-has-32191976.png
I look at the value of diversity form the business standpoint. One of the most important ingredients for creative thinking is diversity. It's a fact that diverse teams produce more creative results than teams in which all members are from a similar background.

I've found that if you put a dozen people from different backgrounds, races, and cultures together you're going to get more creative ideas. This is increditably important in American today. We can't compete in the world without it.

There is diversity and then there is 'diversity' aka what democrats/liberals/socialists.progressives/marxists/elitists/ and even some p.c. republicans mean by diversity....when the above talk about the need for 'diversity' they are talking about Afreekans, mexicans and muslims. Which is a lot different than the kind of diversity you are referring to...theirs is a political or racial claim on that nomenclature yours being an intellectual one ----aka apples and oranges.

Anyhow you make some good points.

Come on Trump MAGA!!!

The Party Of Filth And Foreigners has decided that an expanded underclass is better for America than is a healthy middle class. No country could plant 20-40 million bottom feeding thirdworlders among their population and be able to sustain a prosperous middle / working class.
I don't know who the party of filth is but what I do know is that corporations benefit the most by flooding the market with low wage workers. Is the GOP the party of filth? They were in the 2000's and I suspect still are.

Reclaiming the Issues: "It's an Illegal Employer Problem"

This is what us liberals were saying in 2006. Back when cons were telling us they were just here doing jobs American's won't do.

You got it....as a former autoworker years ago...for a short while...I certainly agree with you....people do not know about the slave like working conditions that existed in the auto plants before they organized (a real battle in the literal sense of the word)and became unionized...there were good and bad unions and all in between...but for the most part unions back then were real unions...not like today.

Come on Trump MAGA!!!

You nailed it...outstanding analysis...right on target....great to see someone who knows the truth.

Come on Trump MAGA!!!

I don't know who the party of filth is but what I do know is that corporations benefit the most by flooding the market with low wage workers. Is the GOP the party of filth? They were in the 2000's and I suspect still are.

This is what us liberals were saying in 2006. Back when cons were telling us they were just here doing jobs American's won't do.

The Party Of Filth And Foreigners would be the Party that lowlifes, degenerates, weirdos and foreigners would vote for...have you looked at votership demos lately?
It’s odd that you want to talk about and go on the Party philosophy and ideals from decades ago...The current platforms and ideals don’t matter to you but those from years ago do? That’s fucking weird.

Who are these “corporations” you continue to cite? Are we talking about all those Liberal corporations in blue shitholes...the ones you people are always telling us that keep our nation economically relevant?

Come on Trump MAGA!!!

Trump must be in the party of filth. Why not? He's the one who has benefitted the most from illegal workers.

McCain:There are jobs Americans won’t do for $50 an hour – like picking lettuce.

and

At Trump’s Florida Resort Empire, a Quiet Effort to Eliminate an Undocumented Work Force

Many of his employees have foreign passports.

Romanians serve dinner in lavish banquet halls. South Africans tend to guests at the spa. Britons bake elegant pastries. Most are young people hired as guest workers on special visas, living over the winter high season in a gated community with a sand volleyball pit and a movie theater. In the mornings, they dress in trim uniforms and are chauffeured by van over a bridge to the luxury compound six miles away in Palm Beach.

But that’s only part of the Trump resort work force in South Florida.

Alongside the foreign guest workers is another category of employees, mostly those who work on the pair of lush golf courses near Mar-a-Lago. Not offered apartments, they have been picked up by Trump contractors from groups of undocumented laborers at the side of the road; hired through staffing companies that assume responsibility for checking their immigration status; or brought onto the payroll with little apparent scrutiny of their Social Security cards and green cards, some of which are fake.

That second pool of immigrant labor is an embarrassing reality for a president who has railed against undocumented immigrants, one his company is scrambling to erase.

Differences are not inherently beneficial
The need to be forced to absorb them is dubious

Yes...for sure.

Still too many folks want to include Europeans in the diverse column....they are our people...our cousins so to speak....Europeans assimilate easily, are of similar religious beliefs as Ameicans, are educated, many with needed skills, intelligent and highly motivated to be Real Americans unlike the hordes from 3rd world countries that the democrats opened the floodgates for.

We need to change our immigration policies back to what they were previous to 1965...when they favored Europeans.

We do not need more mexicans we need less...we should work with them and try and improve conditions in Mexico...they are right on our border and we do not need a failed state right on our border.

We have too many blacks already and they are a problem...yet the democrats want to bring more in...ridiculous to the extreme.

Muslims? I should not even have to explain this...great difficulty in assimilating, highly itolerant people, many of them support terrorism or have relatives and friends that are terrorists.

And..........futhamoe....boyos.............their children are even a bigger problem.......as previously pointed out they are easily radicalized.

Islam is not a religion of peace ....there is no place in America for islam....it should be banned...a danger to the world. A satannic relilgion in essence.

Come on Trump MAGA!!!

The Party Of Filth And Foreigners would be the Party that lowlifes, degenerates, weirdos and foreigners would vote for...have you looked at votership demos lately?
It’s odd that you want to talk about and go on the Party philosophy and ideals from decades ago...The current platforms and ideals don’t matter to you but those from years ago do? That’s fucking weird.

Who are these “corporations” you continue to cite? Are we talking about all those Liberal corporations in blue shitholes...the ones you people are always telling us that keep our nation economically relevant?[/QUOTE
I'm talking about Trump corporations

Many of his employees have foreign passports.

Romanians serve dinner in lavish banquet halls. South Africans tend to guests at the spa. Britons bake elegant pastries. Most are young people hired as guest workers on special visas, living over the winter high season in a gated community with a sand volleyball pit and a movie theater. In the mornings, they dress in trim uniforms and are chauffeured by van over a bridge to the luxury compound six miles away in Palm Beach.

Alongside the foreign guest workers is another category of employees, mostly those who work on the pair of lush golf courses near Mar-a-Lago. Not offered apartments, they have been picked up by Trump contractors from groups of undocumented laborers at the side of the road; hired through staffing companies that assume responsibility for checking their immigration status; or brought onto the payroll with little apparent scrutiny of their Social Security cards and green cards, some of which are fake.

That second pool of immigrant labor is an embarrassing reality for a president who has railed against undocumented immigrants, one his company is scrambling to erase.

And this Republican owned farm
Man charged in Tibbetts' death worked at Iowa farm linked to prominent Republican

Come on Trump MAGA!!!

Who are these “corporations” you continue to cite? Are we talking about all those Liberal corporations in blue shitholes...the ones you people are always telling us that keep our nation economically relevant?

Who are these corporations?

I'm talking about Trump corporations. Many of his employees have foreign passports.

And this Republican owned farm
Man charged in Tibbetts' death worked at Iowa farm linked to prominent Republican

Forum List

Back