Public Health Be Damned: Nurse Tantrum Shows Depth of American Scientific Blindness

Drunk driving deaths and the flu do not fell healthy strapping adults by mere bodily fluid contact.

You're right, flu fells healthy, strapping adults without bodily fluid contact.

You know what does fell healthy, strapping adults? AIDS. Shall we initiate a quarantine?

Um yeah, that would have been a capital idea:

Ms. García is alive thanks partly to lucky genes, and partly to the intensity with which Cuba has attacked its AIDS epidemic. Whatever debate may linger about the government’s harsh early tactics — until 1993, everyone who tested positive for H.I.V. was forced into quarantine — there is no question that they succeeded.

Cuba now has one of the world’s smallest epidemics, a mere 14,038 cases. Its infection rate is 0.1 percent, on par with Finland, Singapore and Kazakhstan. That is one-sixth the rate of the United States, one-twentieth of nearby Haiti.

The population of Cuba is only slightly larger than that of New York City. In the three decades of the global AIDS epidemic, 78,763 New Yorkers have died of AIDS. Only 2,364 Cubans have.
The lives of people who died needlessly had value and those lives were pissed away for fear of being politically incorrect.

So you are a commie.

A communist or fascist state would have acted as our folks did with the nurse every time, no concern for the rights of the citizen.

The question is not the end goal, only the proper way to get her into quarantine.

For the record: anyone can answer anyone. Got it?

Nope, I am saying how she was handled prior to isolation is in point, and rightfully so.

Your type of fascist interventionist techniques are unwarranted, Sil.

"Tents" can be quite elaborate with many amenities. I'm not sure what that was like, but I would guess it was better than a Super 8 Motel.

The nurse acted like a spoiled brat, I believe most can agree to that and she didn't do herself any favors in the minds of the community, not to mention the nation. Her "boyfriend" is fleeting, most likely.

Her parents, are not the proud ones the once were.

If she comes down with the disease, let's see how much sympathy the poor girl receives.

For the record: anyone can answer anyone. Got it?

Nope, I am saying how she was handled prior to isolation is in point, and rightfully so.

Your type of fascist interventionist techniques are unwarranted, Sil.
Weird rebuttal. Do you talk like that in court? "You're honor, attorney for the opposition is using fascist interventionist techniques". Wonder how long it would be before the baliff removed you for 24-hour observation.

When you're ready to address that the nurse's rant included in its bulk, her selfishness and desire to trump public health by exposing it to potential ebola spread in favor of her "liberties and freedoms" (for just 21 days), let me know, OK?

My response is correct in rebuking your nonsense.

Your desire to toss anybody into quarantine without respect for civil liberties and the process is indeed fascist.

Your desire to toss anybody into quarantine without respect for civil liberties and the process is indeed fascist.

Well then revoke all quarantine laws because by your definition, they are fascism. See ya around the mass-gravesites!

This nurse is doing a fantastic job of highlighting the stupidity of quarantines for healthy people. I think she's awesome.

So- should every healthcare worker who treats an Ebola patient here in the U.S. be required to go to 21 day quarantine?

The reason I ask this- is because IF we were to have an outbreak here- that kind of policy would pretty much guarantee a nurse and doctor shortage.

Well then revoke all quarantine laws because by your definition, they are fascism. See ya around the mass-gravesites!

Only you think so, Sil.

Quarantine can be necessary, and so is the proper process to do it.

She want to say hell with civil liberties (whether this or marriage equality) and, quarantine her with out sensible treatment as well as no marriage for LGBT.

Because of your 'feelings.'

So- should every healthcare worker who treats an Ebola patient here in the U.S. be required to go to 21 day quarantine?

The reason I ask this- is because IF we were to have an outbreak here- that kind of policy would pretty much guarantee a nurse and doctor shortage.

There has to be a balance between off with their heads and let em walk.

Yes. At least for now. If we have an epidemic, we're just plain old screwed and martial law will rule the land. Mark my words. Better a 21 day vacation for some healthcare workers than martial law. Don't you think?

Yes. At least for now. If we have an epidemic, we're just plain old screwed and martial law will rule the land. Mark my words. Better a 21 day vacation for some healthcare workers than martial law. Don't you think?

Do you think we have never had epidemics in the United States before? Or that we need martial law to deal with an epidemic?

It is merely the law of unintended consequences.

Already being a healthcare provider for Ebola patients is grueling work- and dangerous. Unlike the general public, healthcare workers do face real risks.

Add to that telling them that they will be placed in a nice jail for 21 days- and you won't have healthcare workers to deal with an epidemic.

Anyway- I leave you to your dreams of martial law......

Forum List

Back