Quick History lesson

Just out of curiosity,

when did the Republican Party become the party of 'blacks only vote Democrat because they want more free stuff'?

That wasn't the party of Lincoln, obviously. Did it start with Reagan? I think that's about right.

No, it was underhanded tactics by the Democratic party. They played on their fears of racism and used it to their advantage. What they fail to tell anyone is that they gave birth to the KKK. Now, they keep them thinking that somehow Republicans are the racists while they were/are the ones fighting for civil rights.

Interestingly enough, Carbine, which party would label a black man a traitor to his own race if he dared vote for the opposing party? Hmm? Civil rights? When Obama kept switching his stances on gay marriage, was he fighting for their rights too? Or was he using them as pawns in his twisted electoral game, just like the black people?

Believe whatever you want to believe though, just keep in mind that you're deluding yourself.

Just out of curiosity,

when did the Republican Party become the party of 'blacks only vote Democrat because they want more free stuff'?

That wasn't the party of Lincoln, obviously. Did it start with Reagan? I think that's about right.

No, it was underhanded tactics by the Democratic party. They played on their fears of racism and used it to their advantage. What they fail to tell anyone is that they gave birth to the KKK. Now, they keep them thinking that somehow Republicans are the racists while they were/are the ones fighting for civil rights.

Interestingly enough, Carbine, which party would label a black man a traitor to his own race if he dared vote for the opposing party? Hmm? Civil rights? When Obama kept switching his stances on gay marriage, was he fighting for their rights too? Or was he using them as pawns in his twisted electoral game, just like the black people?

Believe whatever you want to believe though, just keep in mind that you're deluding yourself.

Bullshit.

The KKK was "given birth to" by six Confederate veterans around a campfire in Pulaski Tennessee on Christmas Day 1865. They were not politicians and it has never been a political organization.

How do you guys figure you can just make shit up, especially when actual history is readily available? How?

Just out of curiosity,

Bullshit.

The KKK was "given birth to" by six Confederate veterans around a campfire in Pulaski Tennessee on Christmas Day 1865. They were not politicians and it has never been a political organization.

How do you guys figure you can just make shit up, especially when actual history is readily available? How?

Sorry, Pogo. That's history. They were founded as a wing of the Democratic Party. They sought to intimidate Republicans of that era through any means possible, including but not limited to threats, violence and murder. This led to a wave of insurgent paramilitary outfits such as the White League and the Red Shirts beginning 1874 through 1877, which then in turn led to the segregationist Democrats supplanting the Republican party as the dominant political force in the Southern States. It would be another 90 years before the party changed it's stances.

I know my history, Pogo. I'm no shill.

Although there was little organizational structure above the local level, similar groups rose across the South and adopted the same name and methods. Klan groups spread throughout the South as an insurgent movement during the Reconstruction era in the United States. As a secret vigilante group, the Klan targeted freedmen and their allies; it sought to restore white supremacy by threats and violence, including murder, against black and white Republicans. In 1870 and 1871, the federal government passed the Force Acts, which were used to prosecute Klan crimes. Prosecution of Klan crimes and enforcement of the Force Acts suppressed Klan activity. In 1874 and later, however, newly organized and openly active paramilitary organizations, such as the White League and the Red Shirts, started a fresh round of violence aimed at suppressing blacks' voting and running Republicans out of office. These contributed to segregationist white Democrats regaining political power in all the Southern states by 1877....

The members of the first Klan in the South were exclusively Democrats. ... In the South, Klan members were still Democratic, as it was a one-party region for whites. Klan chapters were closely allied with Democratic police, sheriffs, and other functionaries of local government. Since disfranchisement of most African Americans and many poor whites around the start of the 20th century, the only political activity for whites took place within the Democratic Party.

Ku Klux Klan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would never deign so low as to "make shit up."

Last edited:

Bullshit.

Sorry, Pogo. That's history. They were founded as a wing of the Democratic Party. They sought to intimidate Republicans of that era through any means possible, including but not limited to threats, violence and murder. This led to a wave of insurgent paramilitary outfits such as the White League and the Red Shirts beginning 1874 through 1877, which then in turn led to the segregationist Democrats supplanting the Republican party as the dominant political force in the Southern States. It would be another 90 years before the party changed it's stances.

Although there was little organizational structure above the local level, similar groups rose across the South and adopted the same name and methods. Klan groups spread throughout the South as an insurgent movement during the Reconstruction era in the United States. As a secret vigilante group, the Klan targeted freedmen and their allies; it sought to restore white supremacy by threats and violence, including murder, against black and white Republicans. In 1870 and 1871, the federal government passed the Force Acts, which were used to prosecute Klan crimes. Prosecution of Klan crimes and enforcement of the Force Acts suppressed Klan activity. In 1874 and later, however, newly organized and openly active paramilitary organizations, such as the White League and the Red Shirts, started a fresh round of violence aimed at suppressing blacks' voting and running Republicans out of office. These contributed to segregationist white Democrats regaining political power in all the Southern states by 1877.

Didn't we do this before? I thought I told you, I myself wrote part of that Wiki entry. I happen to be sitting on a repository of research that my cousin (a writer) owned for his work, and I inherited. I know whereof I speak here.

Further, your quote above doesn't make your case. In a time when Republicans represented emancipation (remember those days? me neither), terrorizing Republicans would be what you'd expect a terrorist organization to be doing -- as well as blacks directly, Jews, Catholics and perceived loose women. But that no more makes them "Democrats" than it makes them Hitler or Henry the Eighth or God.

The KKK called themselves a "social" organization. The very little they dabbled in politics at all in terms of getting a candidate elected was a governor of Indiana (Edward Jackson) and a few members of the Anaheim City Council. ALL of them, for what it's worth, were Republicans, which means nothing. And none of them amounted to anything.

Political parties are used for expediency -- not ideology. They're used to get elected. Period.

And the fact remains -- the KKK was formed by Confederate veterans -- not politicians -- as a cultural movement. That's just the way it was; you don't get to write your own version of history.

Last edited:
Bullshit.

Although there was little organizational structure above the local level, similar groups rose across the South and adopted the same name and methods. Klan groups spread throughout the South as an insurgent movement during the Reconstruction era in the United States. As a secret vigilante group, the Klan targeted freedmen and their allies; it sought to restore white supremacy by threats and violence, including murder, against black and white Republicans. In 1870 and 1871, the federal government passed the Force Acts, which were used to prosecute Klan crimes. Prosecution of Klan crimes and enforcement of the Force Acts suppressed Klan activity. In 1874 and later, however, newly organized and openly active paramilitary organizations, such as the White League and the Red Shirts, started a fresh round of violence aimed at suppressing blacks' voting and running Republicans out of office. These contributed to segregationist white Democrats regaining political power in all the Southern states by 1877.

Didn't we do this before? I thought I told you, I myself wrote part of that Wiki entry. I happen to be sitting on a repository of research that my cousin (a writer) owned for his work, and I inherited. I know whereof I speak here.

Further, your quote above doesn't make your case. In a time when Republicans represented emancipation (remember those days? me neither), terrorizing Republicans would be what you'd expect a terrorist organization to be doing -- as well as blacks directly, Jews, Catholics and perceived loose women. But that no more makes them "Democrats" than it makes them Hitler or Henry the Eighth or God.

The KKK called themselves a "social" organization. The very little they dabbled in politics at all in terms of getting a candidate elected was a governor of Indiana (Edward Jackson) and a few members of the Anaheim City Council. ALL of them, for what it's worth, were Republicans, which means nothing. And none of them amounted to anything.

Political parties are used for expediency -- not ideology. They're used to get elected. Period.

And the fact remains -- the KKK was formed by Confederate veterans -- not politicians -- as a cultural movement. That's just the way it was; you don't get to write your own version of history.
However they were aligned with whom? DEMOCRATS. It just doesn't end, does it. Some spots on a leopard never change do they?

Just out of curiosity,

Bullshit.

For most conservatives, it’s as natural as breathing.

“Tell a lie often enough, until it’s perceived to be true.”

Bullshit.

I know my history, Pogo.
I'm no shill.

Apparently not. 90 years from 1877 would be 1967. Not sure what's significant about that, but earlier we brought up Strom Thurmond leaving the Democratic Party for the Republican in 1964 in protest of the Civil Rights Act; that wasn't the first time they had a falling out. Remember Trent Lott's infamous gaffe about how Mississippi (Lott- another ex-Democrat) voted for him? He referred to Thurmond's breakaway run for the Presidency in 1948. Thurmond and the States Rights "Dixiecrats" did that in protest of the Democratic Party's stance on desegregation and Truman's wish to demolish poll taxes and pass anti-lynching laws. 1948. You could look it up.

Last edited:

However they were aligned with whom? DEMOCRATS. It just doesn't end, does it. Some spots on a leopard never change do they?

They were "aligned" with nobody politically. They were a cultural organization. If that meant Democrats in Mississippi it was Democrats; if it meant Republicans in Indiana it was Republicans. It was whatever worked.

Again, it saw itself as a social or cultural organization --- not a political one.

Last edited:

Bullshit.

Project much?

They were "aligned" with nobody politically. They were a cultural organization. If that meant Democrats in Mississippi it was Democrats; if it meant Republicans in Indiana it was Republicans. It was whatever worked.

Again, it saw itself as a cultural organization, not a political one.
Seems to me they had INFLUENCE on politicians in the SOUTH...hmmm...WHY don't I belive this tripe? WHY do I belive you're making excuses?

Pogo? See the 3/5ths Compromise...Sorry son. I don't belive you. I don't belive you because of what followed...especially with Democrats in the SOUTH into the 1960's...and even NOW. History just doesn't bear out what you are saying.

Again, it saw itself as a cultural organization, not a political one.
Seems to me they had INFLUENCE on politicians in the SOUTH...hmmm...WHY don't I belive this tripe? WHY do I belive you're making excuses?

Beats me. I've only been a half-breed Southerner for my entire life, so what would I know.

But do go on, link this INFLUENCE on politicians in the SOUTH. By all means. Something a little more substantial than guttural rumbling noises and impetuous caps locks.

Pogo? See the 3/5ths Compromise...Sorry son. I don't belive you. I don't belive you because of what followed...especially with Democrats in the SOUTH into the 1960's...and even NOW. History just doesn't bear out what you are saying.

I'm afraid it does. Again, just see Post 149.

We speak of a cultural aberration --- not a political philosophy. And the armchair pundits trying their hand at demagoguery would have us believe that not only are political parties static in their nature but they actually hold racism as an ideology.

Somewhere David Duke is reading this shit and laughing his ass off.

Btw there are few Democrats in the South today in office, exactly as there were few Republicans in it in our parents' time. But as the old racist ways die away that monolithic party sway -- Democrats then, Republicans now, same people -- dies with it. Virginia is already purple. It's fading. And not fast enough.

Last edited:

I'm afraid it does. Again, just see Post 149.

We speak of a cultural aberration --- not a political philosophy. And the armchair pundits trying their hand at demagoguery would have us believe that not only are political parties static in their nature but they actually hold racism as an ideology.

Somewhere David Duke is reading this shit and laughing his ass off.
As he should...at YOU. I saw the post. *I* don't buy into it knowing history.

My friend? Just cannot muster it. Is 'Cultural aberration' code for rascism? Why I belive it is. And where are we now? Where were we then? WHEN will this Mr Toad's Wild Ride of denial/excuses ever end?

No sale sport. Sorry.:eusa_hand:

Bullshit.

Didn't we do this before? I thought I told you, I myself wrote part of that Wiki entry. I happen to be sitting on a repository of research that my cousin (a writer) owned for his work, and I inherited.

The KKK called themselves a "social" organization. The very little they dabbled in politics at all in terms of getting a candidate elected was a governor of Indiana (Edward Jackson) and a few members of the Anaheim City Council. ALL of them, for what it's worth, were Republicans.

Political parties are used for expediency -- not ideology.

No. I don't recall you ever saying you wrote or edited any part of that article. Frankly, I don't care if Einstein wrote that article, Pogo. Of course for a time they were rooted in the Midwest, which was heavily Republican, but to say they only affiliated themselves with Democrats for expeditious means only is absurd. Your sarcasm doesn't go far in making your case either. The fact that they acted on disenfranchising blacks in the south should tell you they were involved with politics.

Democrats involved in politics:

1. David Duke, who before becoming a Republican in 1989 ran for the Democratic Presidential Nomination in 1988. He described himself as a "racial realist."

2. Clifford Parker, the 64th governor of my state 1923 to 1927, revealed to have been a member of the Klan by the press at the time.

Walker drew criticism when he consulted with Ku Klux Klan members on issues regarding state policy. He was denounced by the press and revealed as being a member of the Klan in 1924.

Clifford Mitchell Walker

3. George Washington Gordon, who served in Tennessee's 10th Congressional District in the 1860's, happens to be one of it's inaugural if not founding members.

4. Bibb Graves, 38th Governor of Alabama, admitted he was a member of the Klan. Secretly endorsed by the Klan in 1922 during his gubernatorial campaign.

5. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Lafayette Black, served on the bench from 1937 to 1971. Joined the KKK for want of saving his political career.

6. Theodore G. Bilbo, served as the 39th and 42nd Governor of Mississippi (1916-20, 1928-32), as well as 11th Lieutenant Governor of same state (1912-16); elected to the Senate in 1930. Admitted his membership with the Klan on a radio show entitled "Meet the Press." He was quoted as saying "No man can leave the Klan. He takes an oath not to do that. Once a Ku Klux, always a Ku Klux."

Page 21 and 22 of this PDF - http://mdah.state.ms.us/pubs/bilbo.pdf

7. Robert C. Byrd, West Virginia Senator (1959-2010), recruited for the Ku Klux Klan in his 20's and 30's. Acquired the title Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops. He filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and voted against two black Supreme Court nominees, Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas. He is quoted as saying in a letter to the Imperial Wizard "The Klan is needed today as never before, and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia." He also defended the Klan in his 1958 senatorial campaign.

There is some debate over the membership of one Harry Truman, but due to lack of any substantial evidence, I won't include him in this list.

Last edited:

Bullshit.

And I do hereby invoke Godwin's law here.

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

Nice one, Clayton, citing Hitler.

Didn't we do this before? I thought I told you, I myself wrote part of that Wiki entry. I happen to be sitting on a repository of research that my cousin (a writer) owned for his work, and I inherited.

The KKK called themselves a "social" organization. The very little they dabbled in politics at all in terms of getting a candidate elected was a governor of Indiana (Edward Jackson) and a few members of the Anaheim City Council. ALL of them, for what it's worth, were Republicans.

No. I don't recall you ever saying you wrote or edited any part of that article. Frankly, I don't care if Einstein wrote that article, Pogo. Of course for a time they were rooted in the Midwest, but to say they only affiliated themselves with democrats for expeditious means only is absurd. Your sarcasm doesn't go far in making your case either. The fact that they acted on disenfranchising blacks in the south should tell you they were involved with politics.

David Duke, who before becoming a Republican in 1989 ran for the Democratic Presidential Nomination in 1988. He described himself as a "racial realist."

No shit. We can add Richard Shelby, Trent Lott, Jesse Helms and a bunch of others that followed Thurmond into the RP. Because Democrats today and Republicans tomorrow, they're still Southern Conservatives all the way. THAT is the point; it's a cultural phenomenon -- not a political one. You're confirming what I'm saying. Thank you.

Clifford Parker, the 64th governor of my state 1923 to 1927, revealed to have been a member of the Klan by the press at the time.

Walker drew criticism when he consulted with Ku Klux Klan members on issues regarding state policy. He was denounced by the press and revealed as being a member of the Klan in 1924.

Clifford Mitchell Walker

George Washington Gordon, who served in Tennessee's 10th Congressional District in the 1860's, who happens to be one of it's inaugural if not founding members.

Bibb Graves, 38th Governor of Alabama, admitted he was a member of the Klan. Secretly endorsed by the Klan in 1922 during his gubernatorial campaign.

Supreme Court Justice Hugo Lafayette Black, served on the bench from 1937 to 1971. Joined the KKK for want of saving his political career.

Theodore G. Bilbo, served as the 39th and 42nd Governor of Mississippi (1916-20, 1928-32), as well as 11th Lieutenant Governor of same state (1912-16); elected to the Senate in 1930. Admitted his membership in the Klan on a radio show entitled "Meet the Press." He was quoted as saying "No man can leave the Klan. He takes an oath not to do that. Once a Ku Klux, always a Ku Klux."

Robert C. Byrd, West Virginia Senator (1959-2010), recruited for the Ku Klux Klan in his 20's and 30's. Acquired the title Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops. He filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and voted against two black Supreme Court Nominees, Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas. He is quoted as saying in a letter to the Imperial Wizard "The Klan is needed today as never before, and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia." He also Defended the Klan in his 1958 Senatorial Campaign.

And here you go digging yourself deeper, still insisting on pretending it's a political game. We can do it this way if you like, just to entertain the fallacy:

James Eli Watson, Senator (R-IN)

Rice W. Means, Senator (R-CO)

Clarence Morley, Governor (R-CO)

David Duke -- Louisiana State Legislature, 81st Discrict (R) and party chairman for RP of St. Tammany Parish

We already cited Governor Edward Jackson (R-IN)

And of the entire list both yours and mine -- the only one the KKK got behind with political support was Jackson. The rest happen to have been in office and happen to have been in the KKK at some point. But the latter didn't actually make the former happen. Because the KKK didn't even try to get into politics but twice -- Jackson and Anaheim. And the latter were quickly removed.

Again -- it's whatever works in that time and place.... not a party ideology.

You don't have to explain who these people are. Again, I know the research; I wrote some of it. Btw the Hugo Black thing is hearsay. Undocumented.
Btw 2: for the record, Byrd didn't "defend" the Klan in 1958. That's a bad Wiki entry. Obviously I didn't write that one.

Last edited:
Bullshit.

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

It's what Fascists posing as Pseudo Conservatives do...Hitler was pretty adept at it...Clayton is remarkable in same style.

No. I don't recall you ever saying you wrote or edited any part of that article. Frankly, I don't care if Einstein wrote that article, Pogo. Of course for a time they were rooted in the Midwest, but to say they only affiliated themselves with democrats for expeditious means only is absurd. Your sarcasm doesn't go far in making your case either. The fact that they acted on disenfranchising blacks in the south should tell you they were involved with politics.

David Duke, who before becoming a Republican in 1989 ran for the Democratic Presidential Nomination in 1988. He described himself as a "racial realist."

No shit. We can add Richard Shelby, Trent Lott, Jesse Helms and a bunch of others that followed Thurmond into the RP. Because Democrats today and Republicans tomorrow, they're still Southern Conservatives all the way. THAT is the point; it's a cultural phenomenon -- not a political one. You're confirming what I'm saying. Thank you.

Clifford Parker, the 64th governor of my state 1923 to 1927, revealed to have been a member of the Klan by the press at the time.

Clifford Mitchell Walker

George Washington Gordon, who served in Tennessee's 10th Congressional District in the 1860's, who happens to be one of it's inaugural if not founding members.

Bibb Graves, 38th Governor of Alabama, admitted he was a member of the Klan. Secretly endorsed by the Klan in 1922 during his gubernatorial campaign.

Supreme Court Justice Hugo Lafayette Black, served on the bench from 1937 to 1971. Joined the KKK for want of saving his political career.

Theodore G. Bilbo, served as the 39th and 42nd Governor of Mississippi (1916-20, 1928-32), as well as 11th Lieutenant Governor of same state (1912-16); elected to the Senate in 1930. Admitted his membership in the Klan on a radio show entitled "Meet the Press." He was quoted as saying "No man can leave the Klan. He takes an oath not to do that. Once a Ku Klux, always a Ku Klux."

Robert C. Byrd, West Virginia Senator (1959-2010), recruited for the Ku Klux Klan in his 20's and 30's. Acquired the title Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops. He filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and voted against two black Supreme Court Nominees, Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas. He is quoted as saying in a letter to the Imperial Wizard "The Klan is needed today as never before, and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia." He also Defended the Klan in his 1958 Senatorial Campaign.

And here you go digging yourself deeper, still insisting on pretending it's a political game.

James Eli Watson, Senator (R-IN)

Rice W. Means, Senator (R-CO)

Clarence Morley, Governor (R-CO)

David Duke -- Louisiana State Legislature, 81st Discrict (R) and party chairman for RP of St. Tammany Parish.

We already cited Governor Edward Jackson (R-IN)

And of the entire list both yours and mine -- the only one the KKK got behind with political support was Jackson. The rest happen to have been in office and happen to have been in the KKK. But the latter didn't actually make it happen.

Again -- it's whatever works in that time and place.... not a party ideology.

Btw the Hugo Black thing is hearsay. Undocumented.
What does PARTY have to do with anything? BOTH parties have their own set of idiots, don't they?

DENIED.:eusa_hand:

Bullshit.

Uh - where does he mention Hitler?

Forum List

Back