Re-Evaluating Newt..

Yeah well Maple. When you've taken it upon yourself to personally disrespect, demean, belittle, condemn, and if possibly destroy another human being you have decided not to like, I guess that is as good a reason as any. So carry on. . . .

I like Newt personally, but he can't and won't beat Obama. Obama has a boatload of money and a boatload of ammunition that Newt has provided to torpeodo the Newt boat.

And you think Newt doesn't have plenty of ammo to use against Fearless Leader who has been behind a microphone and on camera more than ANYBODY I know of in my lifetime? And okay, I probably came down harder than I should in your evaluation of Newt, but I do get really tired of people posting the nonsense and never focusing on what Newt has to offer as POTUS.

You know what? We're NEVER going to find a saint to run for public office. Everybody who runs is going to have an issue or two to deal with and something the opposition can use against them. They all put on their pants one leg at a time, not one is capable of walking on water, and from time to time they will all have feet of clay. We all do.

The time is short before primary season begins. I would like for us to choose the best possible candidate who can win and who will do the best job of leading the country. That person may or may not be Newt but we aren't going to find out focusing on his marital problems.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Well said!

So, people who do not like Newt, what is it about him that you don't think would be good as a President that we can't point to in any of the other rep canidates or obama?

So, people who do not like Newt, what is it about him that you don't think would be good as a President that we can't point to in any of the other rep canidates or obama?

I don't feel like I have any idea the sorts of policies he would pursue if elected.

I don't feel like I have any idea the sorts of policies he would pursue if elected.

Look to his record as speaker....welfare reform, balanced budgets, job growth during his tenure

The Newt Gingrich Americans watch in Republican presidential debates combines substance and statesmanship. On issues, he offers answers and insight. He compliments opponents for their strengths. He challenges "gotcha" questions. In a field of talent, he clearly stands out.

There is not much about Newt Gingrich that is not known. His allies have benefited from his vision and courage. His liberal adversaries have spent decades attacking him, even creating myths to damage him.

Newt led Republicans to their first congressional majority in 40 years. His Contract With America led us to balanced budgets, debt reduction, welfare reform and 7.5 million jobs. By negotiating with a Democratic president, he attained conservative goals and unprecedented prosperity.

That leadership required focus and discipline. He created a policy framework and saw it through to completion. His critics called him undisciplined because he generated so many ideas, but the reality is he maintained an unrelenting commitment to conservative values and reform. Dozens of ethics charges were leveled against him; none proved credible. His four year speakership arguably was the most successful in decades.

Another view: Gingrich is what America needs

Yes, we will see. We'll see if Newt can survive a harem of women coming out of the woodworks like those who came out accusing Cain. Cain couldn't survive it ... I doubt Newt will either.

Actually, it's only really a problem for him if they come out during the time he's been married to the current one. He's already acknowledged his previous two wives were problem marriages.

All of Gingrich's sins are old news.

Ironically, he'll get a pass for the same reason Clinton did.

I LOVE Irony.

You get a divorce. THEN you start dating again.

Newt will not get a pass from the American voting public. And neither will his adulteress "wife".

Yes, we will see. We'll see if Newt can survive a harem of women coming out of the woodworks like those who came out accusing Cain. Cain couldn't survive it ... I doubt Newt will either.

Actually, it's only really a problem for him if they come out during the time he's been married to the current one. He's already acknowledged his previous two wives were problem marriages.

I LOVE Irony.

Newt will not get a pass from the American voting public. And neither will his adulteress "wife".

Is that your only talking point? This crap is old news and the voters don't care about that stuff from back then as much as you continually claim.

I LOVE Irony.

Is that your only talking point? This crap is old news and the voters don't care about that stuff from back then as much as you continually claim.
Really? Show me the recent polls that ask about putting an adulteress in the WH as First Lady.

Look to his record as speaker....welfare reform, balanced budgets, job growth during his tenure.

I have. I've seen someone who is very opportunistic and politically ambitious. Even when he espouses limited government rhetoric, he prefers government dictated solutions to social problems. When he is consistent (in his support of the Guantanamo gulag, for example), I tend to disagree with his positions.

The thing about Newt's well-known "baggage" is that it also spikes the left's guns. It's not like they can come up with it all fresh and shocking, like all this crap about Herman Cain. It's all old news, and the more they drone on about it, the more old and boring it seems. Anyone who's voting for him knows it and is voting for him anyway, so it doesn't leave much to talk about except the actual issues by the time the real campaign rolls around.

I believe they would like Republicans to feel guilty...okay sure, that's obvious...:lol:

They don't have a problem with Obama screwing up the country, that, they can't deny..sooo why talk about it...(the dig hole, place head in it.... scenario)

Winning is all that matters to them, screw the country in the process, no problem..

That would be the motto of the GOP. Winning is all that matters, screw the country in the process, no problem. Look at the comments and behavior of Mitch McConnell, Eric Cantor, and John Boehner over the last year.

Look to his record as speaker....welfare reform, balanced budgets, job growth during his tenure.

I have. I've seen someone who is very opportunistic and politically ambitious. Even when he espouses limited government rhetoric, he prefers government dictated solutions to social problems. When he is consistent (in his support of the Guantanamo gulag, for example), I tend to disagree with his positions.

Are you sure he wants the govt to solve people's problems or does he want to empower people to do it themselves? (skip up to 1:15 if you want)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP1n5psMbZE]Greta VanSusteren interviews Newt Gingrich 12/1/2011 ***EXCELLENT*** - YouTube[/ame]

How is laying off janitors and giving their jobs to poor children helping anyone to solve their problems themselves?

How is laying off janitors and giving their jobs to poor children helping anyone to solve their problems themselves?

What are you going on about? Who are you talking about? When did whomever say that?

I'm talking about your comment, a few posts back:

Are you sure he wants the govt to solve people's problems or does he want to empower people to do it themselves?

What are you going on about? Who are you talking about? When did whomever say that?

Are you sure he wants the govt to solve people's problems or does he want to empower people to do it themselves?

When did newt say he wanst to lay off janitors to have poor kids do their job?

In the latest McClatchy poll, Gingrich has pulled ahead of Cain, who has fallen to third.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-con... McClatchy-Marist Poll Release and Tables.pdf

Politically, that is really good news for Mr. Obama. In terms of getting the best and the brightest to get their party's nomination, you really have to wonder how either of them have survived this far.

The thing about Gingrich is what else can the press dig up about him? All his dirty laundry is out for show. He's an unethical lying philanderer. But we've known that for over a decade. Tell us something we don't know.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Newt. He is very intelligent, articulate, at times a tremendous politicians (and other times not), and - unlike Romney - has enough conservative street cred for at least some of the base to want to knock doors for him, not just against Obama.

Though the odds aren't favourable, I can see Gingrich becoming President. Obama is vulnerable, the Democrats have been incompetent, and the Republican slate of candidates is very weak.

Gingrich has foot-in-mouth disease. Mt. Gingrich is an active volcano and we're just waiting for the next eruption.

As for what-else can the press dig up? The light hasn't been this harsh on Newt for years. His ties to Fannie and Freddie may just be the tip of the ice berg.

I hope they elect Newt.
I demand they elect Newt.

I LOVE Irony.

He was touting that crap back before he was booted off other boards. His tune doesn't change neither does his stupidity.

He said "get rid of" not lay off:

“This is something that no liberal wants to deal with,” Gingrich said. “Core policies of protecting unionization and bureaucratization against children in the poorest neighborhoods, crippling them by putting them in schools that fail has done more to create income inequality in the United States than any other single policy. It is tragic what we do in the poorest neighborhoods, entrapping children in, first of all, child laws, which are truly stupid.

“You say to somebody, you shouldn’t go to work before you’re what, 14, 16 years of age, fine. You’re totally poor. You’re in a school that is failing with a teacher that is failing. I’ve tried for years to have a very simple model,” he said. “Most of these schools ought to get rid of the unionized janitors, have one master janitor and pay local students to take care of the school. The kids would actually do work, they would have cash, they would have pride in the schools, they’d begin the process of rising.”
He added, “You go out and talk to people, as I do, you go out and talk to people who are really successful in one generation. They all started their first job between nine and 14 years of age. They all were either selling newspapers, going door to door, they were doing something, they were washing cars.”

“They all learned how to make money at a very early age,” he said. “What do we say to poor kids in poor neighborhoods? Don’t do it. Remember all that stuff about don’t get a hamburger flipping job? The worst possible advice you could give to poor children. Get any job that teaches you to show up on Monday. Get any job that teaches you to stay all day even if you are in a fight with your girlfriend. The whole process of making work worthwhile is central.”

Not An Onion Spoof: Newt Gingrich’s Education Plan Is To Fire Janitors And Replace Them With Kids | Mediaite

Video of him saying it is at the link.

He said "get rid of" not lay off:

“This is something that no liberal wants to deal with,” Gingrich said. “Core policies of protecting unionization and bureaucratization against children in the poorest neighborhoods, crippling them by putting them in schools that fail has done more to create income inequality in the United States than any other single policy. It is tragic what we do in the poorest neighborhoods, entrapping children in, first of all, child laws, which are truly stupid.

“You say to somebody, you shouldn’t go to work before you’re what, 14, 16 years of age, fine. You’re totally poor. You’re in a school that is failing with a teacher that is failing. I’ve tried for years to have a very simple model,” he said. “Most of these schools ought to get rid of the unionized janitors, have one master janitor and pay local students to take care of the school. The kids would actually do work, they would have cash, they would have pride in the schools, they’d begin the process of rising.”
He added, “You go out and talk to people, as I do, you go out and talk to people who are really successful in one generation. They all started their first job between nine and 14 years of age. They all were either selling newspapers, going door to door, they were doing something, they were washing cars.”

“They all learned how to make money at a very early age,” he said. “What do we say to poor kids in poor neighborhoods? Don’t do it. Remember all that stuff about don’t get a hamburger flipping job? The worst possible advice you could give to poor children. Get any job that teaches you to show up on Monday. Get any job that teaches you to stay all day even if you are in a fight with your girlfriend. The whole process of making work worthwhile is central.”

Not An Onion Spoof: Newt Gingrich’s Education Plan Is To Fire Janitors And Replace Them With Kids | Mediaite

Video of him saying it is at the link.

I see where you get the talking point from but if you look at the context, which you provided, you would see claiming that "Newts education plan is to fire janitors and replace them with kids" is a completely dishonest statement.

He used that as an example of what he thinks would be best for poor children who grow up in an environment where no one is working...that would be to get them working small jobs so they understand what working is all about and they are more prepared to move out into the real world taking care of themselves instead of waiting for handouts.

Newt's position is "Give a man to fish you have fed him for a day, Teach a man to fish you have fed him for a lifetime"

You do realize how dishonest the statment that this is Newts answer to education is, right?

If your truly curious in the truth of Newts position then listen to him explain it in his own words....without the spin

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP1n5psMbZE]Greta VanSusteren interviews Newt Gingrich 12/1/2011 ***EXCELLENT*** - YouTube[/ame]

Politically, that is really good news for Mr. Obama. In terms of getting the best and the brightest to get their party's nomination, you really have to wonder how either of them have survived this far.

The thing about Gingrich is what else can the press dig up about him? All his dirty laundry is out for show. He's an unethical lying philanderer. But we've known that for over a decade. Tell us something we don't know.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Newt. He is very intelligent, articulate, at times a tremendous politicians (and other times not), and - unlike Romney - has enough conservative street cred for at least some of the base to want to knock doors for him, not just against Obama.

Though the odds aren't favourable, I can see Gingrich becoming President. Obama is vulnerable, the Democrats have been incompetent, and the Republican slate of candidates is very weak.

Gingrich has foot-in-mouth disease. Mt. Gingrich is an active volcano and we're just waiting for the next eruption.

As for what-else can the press dig up? The light hasn't been this harsh on Newt for years. His ties to Fannie and Freddie may just be the tip of the ice berg.

I hope they elect Newt.
I demand they elect Newt.

I think the GOP candidate has a real shot, including Newt.

Forum List

Back