Save the planet - buy an electric car

If you gave everybody an electric car, the power grid simply could not handle it.

Ours could. But then again, we aren't the brain dead idjits here that live where you live.

Sure, it could. You Russians have some fine electron lines thanks to comrade Putin. In America, however, the US grid could not handle millions of people plugging their electric cars in when they all got home from work at the same time.

Why for heavens sake do you not close the USA? Most cars stand a long night at home and a short day at work - where's the problem to load the accumulators at home or at work?

The American grid system doesn't currently have enough transformers to handle an extra 250 million vehicles hitting it all at once.

My state started building one of the largest wind farms in the nation in the 90s. When that system went on line it was way too much for the existing grid to handle.

According to you we should have just dismantled the windmills and gave up.

We didn't do that. What we did do was vote to raise our taxes to pay to build a new grid to handle all that extra electricity.

We sell it to other states and we have the 3rd lowest electric rates in the nation.

If we don't have the grid to handle that many electric cars, what's stopping us from building it?

then 1) your state is filled with poor planners.

2) I never said anything about should or shouldn't have.

3) Bully for you. I am sure the poor people in your state really loved paying more for all that "free" electric

4) The ability to sell has nothing to do with the ability to distribute. Florida can buy its electricity from Oregon but that doesn't mean that Oregon is creating the electrons that Florida is consuming. The grid works on a credit system kind of like tokens. Each token is worth a certain amount of electric regardless of how much the entity paid for that token..

5) I didn't say we couldn't build a new grid. What I said is "The American grid system doesn't currently have enough transformers to handle an extra 250 million vehicles hitting it all at once" Perhaps your state should raise taxes so its population can learn the difference between past, present, and future tenses.

No, it's not because of that. If it was practical, and affordable to do it, then people would do it. Getting the lithium out, is extremely expensive.

This is yet another problem with left-wing ignorance and stupidity, holding back the progress of the entire human race.

You people just say stuff like "If we wanted it, then it would happen!" ignoring things like cost, and science, and economics, and who is going to pay for it. Yeah, if the government just had trillions of dollars for fart-less cow research, then maybe we'd have fart-less cows. And maybe if we had trillions of dollars just laying around for unlimited recycling of batteries, then maybe we'd have unlimited recycling of batteries.

The fact is, we don't. Europe doesn't. No one does. If people like you would stop pushing unaffordable policies, we would have people finding practical solutions that do work, instead of pushing idiotic non-sense that doesn't.

:rolleyes:

I tell you what idiot, sit back and watch your ICE go the way of horse buggy poop.

You can thank us "progress impeding left wingers" later.

We are still waiting

View attachment 261685

? Wtf are you wanting for?

Tesla's Model 3 was the best-selling luxury car of 2018

105221578-GettyImages-910879230.jpg

145,846 Model 3s is a big deal to you?

View attachment 261686
A Ford F-150 or Super Duty pickup was sold every 29.3 seconds on average, with nearly 1.1 million trucks purchased globally in 2018, Ford Motor Co. said Saturday.Jan 12, 2019
Ford sold an F-150 or Super Duty pickup every 29.3 seconds in 2018

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/01/12/...f-150.../2557609002/

Yea, it's a big deal that an electric car is the best rated and a #1 seller in a major category.

We are at a foot of a mountain.

Tesla-Q4-2018-deliveries.png

Subsidized by poor people and over 200 years later ?

I tell you what idiot, sit back and watch your ICE go the way of horse buggy poop.

You can thank us "progress impeding left wingers" later.

We are still waiting

View attachment 261685

? Wtf are you wanting for?

Tesla's Model 3 was the best-selling luxury car of 2018

105221578-GettyImages-910879230.jpg

145,846 Model 3s is a big deal to you?

View attachment 261686
A Ford F-150 or Super Duty pickup was sold every 29.3 seconds on average, with nearly 1.1 million trucks purchased globally in 2018, Ford Motor Co. said Saturday.Jan 12, 2019
Ford sold an F-150 or Super Duty pickup every 29.3 seconds in 2018

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/01/12/...f-150.../2557609002/

Yea, it's a big deal that an electric car is the best rated and a #1 seller in a major category.

We are at a foot of a mountain.

Tesla-Q4-2018-deliveries.png

Subsidized by poor people and over 200 years later ?

Lol it figures that's not what car and driver said, it was number 10

10 Best-Selling Luxury Cars and SUVs in America in 2018

Ours could. But then again, we aren't the brain dead idjits here that live where you live.

Sure, it could. You Russians have some fine electron lines thanks to comrade Putin. In America, however, the US grid could not handle millions of people plugging their electric cars in when they all got home from work at the same time.

Why for heavens sake do you not close the USA? Most cars stand a long night at home and a short day at work - where's the problem to load the accumulators at home or at work?

The American grid system doesn't currently have enough transformers to handle an extra 250 million vehicles hitting it all at once.

My state started building one of the largest wind farms in the nation in the 90s. When that system went on line it was way too much for the existing grid to handle.

We didn't do that. What we did do was vote to raise our taxes to pay to build a new grid to handle all that extra electricity.

We sell it to other states and we have the 3rd lowest electric rates in the nation.

If we don't have the grid to handle that many electric cars, what's stopping us from building it?

3) Bully for you. I am sure the poor people in your state really loved paying more for all that "free" electric

4) The ability to sell has nothing to do with the ability to distribute. Florida can buy its electricity from Oregon but that doesn't mean that Oregon is creating the electrons that Florida is consuming. The grid works on a credit system kind of like tokens. Each token is worth a certain amount of electric regardless of how much the entity paid for that token..

5) I didn't say we couldn't build a new grid. What I said is "The American grid system doesn't currently have enough transformers to handle an extra 250 million vehicles hitting it all at once" Perhaps your state should raise taxes so its population can learn the difference between past, present, and future tenses.

I was polite to you. You didn't need to be so rude to me.

Just because I gave you an example that is something like you complained about and an example of how it was solved doesn't mean you should be rude.

I don't know what Oregon has to do with me and this situation. I don't live there and I wasn't talking about that state.

In my state we have a law that says that no new tax can be imposed without a vote of the people approving it. When raising the taxes on our electrical bills came up on the ballot, it passed with over 60% of the vote. I voted in the majority.

So the people of my state WANTED that new grid. For more reasons than just to be able to handle all that new electricity it produced. Did you know that most of the electrical grid in America is older than dirt? Except in my state. We saw the value of updating and expanding our electrical grid. We saw the value of building that wind farm and we voted for it. Now, as I said, we have the 3rd lowest electrical rates in the nation. We sell electricity to other sates that neighbor mine.

Did you know that most people aren't against raising their taxes if they know they're going to get something from it? Did you know that when EVERYONE in an area contributes that the contribution from everyone doesn't have to be large? We voted to raise our taxes on our electrical bill to benefit ourselves.

If you want to live in a place that's not smart enough and too cheap to pay for new infrastructure thus better lives for the people in your state, go for it. That's your choice. It's not the choice of the people in my state. Thus my state is a very successful state, we have a higher standard of living than a lot of the rest of the nation and we keep being voted the best state or one of the best states in the nation. The largest city in my state has been voted the best city or one of the best cities in the nation since the 70s.

Just because you don't like my reply with a very logical solution to the problem you brought up doesn't mean you need to be so rude.

What makes you think that thousands of electrical cars will all of a sudden all at once plug into charge? What will happen to cause so many electrical cars to be sold all at once? Your statement itself isn't that logical or reality. Electrical cars will be sold just the same as regular cars. Not all at once.

Our electrical grid in America is very old and obsolete. We need to build and update our electrical grid. It's stupid to wait for it to be an emergency like we do with most things. It's best to do it now before it's an emergency. That's what responsible people do.

Just because I gave you an example that is something like you complained about and an example of how it was solved doesn't mean you should be rude.

I don't know what Oregon has to do with me and this situation. I don't live there and I wasn't talking about that state.

In my state we have a law that says that no new tax can be imposed without a vote of the people approving it. When raising the taxes on our electrical bills came up on the ballot, it passed with over 60% of the vote. I voted in the majority.

So the people of my state WANTED that new grid. For more reasons than just to be able to handle all that new electricity it produced. Did you know that most of the electrical grid in America is older than dirt? Except in my state. We saw the value of updating and expanding our electrical grid. We saw the value of building that wind farm and we voted for it. Now, as I said, we have the 3rd lowest electrical rates in the nation. We sell electricity to other sates that neighbor mine.

Did you know that most people aren't against raising their taxes if they know they're going to get something from it? Did you know that when EVERYONE in an area contributes that the contribution from everyone doesn't have to be large? We voted to raise our taxes on our electrical bill to benefit ourselves.

If you want to live in a place that's not smart enough and too cheap to pay for new infrastructure thus better lives for the people in your state, go for it. That's your choice. It's not the choice of the people in my state. Thus my state is a very successful state, we have a higher standard of living than a lot of the rest of the nation and we keep being voted the best state or one of the best states in the nation. The largest city in my state has been voted the best city or one of the best cities in the nation since the 70s.

Just because you don't like my reply with a very logical solution to the problem you brought up doesn't mean you need to be so rude.

What makes you think that thousands of electrical cars will all of a sudden all at once plug into charge? What will happen to cause so many electrical cars to be sold all at once? Your statement itself isn't that logical or reality. Electrical cars will be sold just the same as regular cars. Not all at once.

Our electrical grid in America is very old and obsolete. We need to build and update our electrical grid. It's stupid to wait for it to be an emergency like we do with most things. It's best to do it now before it's an emergency. That's what responsible people do.

You accused me of stating things that I never stated. There is nothing more rude than that. I also did not say that Oregon had anything to do with you. I was using it to point out that states on opposite corners of the country can buy electricity credits from each other but they don't actually get the electricity the others produce.

The American grid system doesn't currently have enough transformers to handle an extra 250 million vehicles hitting it all at once.​

Your going to have to prove it by telling us what state because as a street smart Chicago guy I smell B.S.

No one is getting lower electrical rates because of green energy

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

I love it. This is great.

I had been wondering about this for some years now. Most of the money for infrastructure, comes from the gas tax. If you eliminated all taxes from gasoline, it would be about $1 a gallon less expensive.

So I have been wondering for years now, how is the government going to handle dealing with people who no longer buy gasoline? If everyone turns to electric cars like they promote as this big idiotic environmentally progressive move.... then tax revenue for roads and bridges would die off.

Of course that can't happen. If it does, country crashes.

So now we have the answer. The government figured out that most people who drive a gas car, are paying about $1,000 a year in taxes gas tax. So they are simply making the registration fee for an electric car, $1,000. (which based on my rough calculations, that's about what I am paying in taxes for fuel).

Of course now that these left-wing democrap progressive snots are being asked to "pay their fair share"..... they were spitting mad, and having a two-year-old toddler temper tantrum.

Typical left-winger. Demand everyone else pay higher taxes, but not themselves.

Or they can do what all other industries do and charge carbon taxes on the ones that cause the carbon. That means the Electric Cars don't pay that 1000 bucks but the gas burners do. If the generation of the electric power is what is causing the carbon then you charge the factories generating the carbon. You want to tax, tax fairly. And tell the Oil and Gas Companies to save their Lobbyist money to pay their fair share for pollution for a change.

right, and the electricity to recharge them simply materializes out of thin air. Wake up dude, there aint no free lunch, or ride.

The American grid system doesn't currently have enough transformers to handle an extra 250 million vehicles hitting it all at once.​

Your going to have to prove it by telling us what state because as a street smart Chicago guy I smell B.S.

Time for the "They are lower than they would have been if we hadn't" card. I know my city is building solar farms as quickly as they can and my bill isn't coming down any.

Time for the "They are lower than they would have been if we hadn't" card. I know my city is building solar farms as quickly as they can and my bill isn't coming down any.

and it won't, solar panels are very expensive and need to be replaced every 10-15 years. windmills are even worse. Nuclear is the only reliable answer, but there are inherent dangers that must be dealt with.

No, it's not because of that. If it was practical, and affordable to do it, then people would do it. Getting the lithium out, is extremely expensive.

This is yet another problem with left-wing ignorance and stupidity, holding back the progress of the entire human race.

You people just say stuff like "If we wanted it, then it would happen!" ignoring things like cost, and science, and economics, and who is going to pay for it. Yeah, if the government just had trillions of dollars for fart-less cow research, then maybe we'd have fart-less cows. And maybe if we had trillions of dollars just laying around for unlimited recycling of batteries, then maybe we'd have unlimited recycling of batteries.

The fact is, we don't. Europe doesn't. No one does. If people like you would stop pushing unaffordable policies, we would have people finding practical solutions that do work, instead of pushing idiotic non-sense that doesn't.

I tell you what idiot, sit back and watch your ICE go the way of horse buggy. You can thank us "left wingers" later.

Truth hurts

Being a ranting dumbass like you hurts.

I answered, you ignored.

Lithium recycling is a much much much much much smaller problem than all the polution from petroleum extraction, transport and combusting.

Not only that, battery tech is still in infancy. Solid state batteries for automotive use are in the works (Tesla just bought Maxwell)

...... Battery tech is still in infancy? Says who?

The first battery was made in 1800 (although some argue they made one in 250BC, read up on Baghdad Battery).

The first lithium was made in the 1970s.

I don't know how you call that infancy, when we've been pouring research into batteries for decades now.

Once again, showing you seem to know very little, and try and compensate it by speaking your ignorance boldly.

I'm all for new batteries. If something new comes up, great. But to try and base national economic policy on "something good could happen" is the thought process of a fool. Funny how a greek fable writer in 650 BC understood "don't count your chickens before they hatch", but left-wing idiots want to push national economic policy based on technology that doesn't exist yet.

Well while you were advocating sitting on our hands National economic policy was grants and tax credits for alternative energy tech like electric cars - which are now a well proven concept and a successful product that all of major manufacturers are trying to jump on. Something good already DID happen.

So why don't you just stfu already about someone being an ignorant regressive and get back to eating that shoe.

No one was 'sitting on their hands'. Technology has been advancing, with or without you people.

As far as a proven concept.... Samuel's Electric Carriage and Wagon Company was making electric cars in New York City, in 1880.

Thomas_Parker_Electric_car.jpg

Only you could come on here, and claim your policies proved a concept, that was already proven over 100 years ago, and then claim others are regressive.

If you want an electric vehicle, knock yourself out. I'll buy my gas guzzler, and have perfectly good ride.

I tell you what idiot, sit back and watch your ICE go the way of horse buggy. You can thank us "left wingers" later.

Truth hurts

I answered, you ignored.

Lithium recycling is a much much much much much smaller problem than all the polution from petroleum extraction, transport and combusting.

Not only that, battery tech is still in infancy. Solid state batteries for automotive use are in the works (Tesla just bought Maxwell)

The first battery was made in 1800 (although some argue they made one in 250BC, read up on Baghdad Battery).

I don't know how you call that infancy, when we've been pouring research into batteries for decades now.

Once again, showing you seem to know very little, and try and compensate it by speaking your ignorance boldly.

I'm all for new batteries. If something new comes up, great. But to try and base national economic policy on "something good could happen" is the thought process of a fool. Funny how a greek fable writer in 650 BC understood "don't count your chickens before they hatch", but left-wing idiots want to push national economic policy based on technology that doesn't exist yet.

Well while you were advocating sitting on our hands National economic policy was grants and tax credits for alternative energy tech like electric cars - which are now a well proven concept and a successful product that all of major manufacturers are trying to jump on. Something good already DID happen.

So why don't you just stfu already about someone being an ignorant regressive and get back to eating that shoe.

No one was 'sitting on their hands'.

umm yes, as I said, your prescription to sit on our hands when it came to national policy on electric cars was ignored.

OK, but my question remains valid with your clarifications. So how would that work out for a cross country car trip or a long haul trucker? Do you really think there will be electric trucks to replace diesel?

second question: the energy to recharge comes from????

third, how do you dispose of the toxic materials in the batteries when they wear out??

At 65 miles per hour that works out to one hour stop every 5 hours.

But it’s really only one stop for lunch, because you’ll be stoping for the night after 10 hours of driving.

Not as convenient as gasoline, but definitely doable.

so would the creation of the recharging energy be more or less efficient that using gasoline for that trip? Do you know? Do you care? and you have been silent on the issue of disposal of toxic batteries in the environment as well as the energy required to make them in the first place.

More, 3-6 times more. (Price per mile)

Batteries are recyclable

Next question.

Sort of they are....
The rise of electric cars could leave us with a big battery waste problem

According to this, only 5% of lithium batteries are recycled, and even those that are recycled, only some of the metals are recycled.

For example the toxic lithium itself, ends up in a mixed waste byproduct. Which will have to be dumped somewhere at this point.

This is why the left-wing is more a hindrance to progress, than a help.

You promote stuff with a mindless uninformed "batteries are recyclable" chant, without having the slightest clue what you are talking about. If you people would get out of the way, science based logic would push forward advancement.

Instead, you just spout off this parrot AOC style idiocy "This is fix! Fartless cows, and trains that fly to Hawaii, and all batteries are recyclable!"

The fix is in the method that the EU has done for the last 30 years. They set up a recycle battery program for we and dry cell batteries starting 30 years ago and have a huge jump on us in all directions. They are also not playing stupid tax games with trying to tax electric cars into oblivion. They are also recycling their batteries 100%.

You now want to blame the left on all this. What else is new. Recycling never has been high on any RW list of things to do. That's a LWers list. So don't throw up all those roadblocks so it doesn't get done and then blame theLW when it doesn't get done.

It MUST get done. Resign yourself to that fact and stop this stupidity.

Fascinating given that the claim only 5% of lithium batteries are recycled, is from the EUs numbers.
And the fact they don't recycle 100% of the battery, was from their own report.

That was all from the EU.

Do you see how you prove yourself completely ignorant in every post? Even after I posted a like to the EU, saying they don't recycle 100% of the battery.... you come on here and boldly proclaim they do.

Do you not see how you have made yourself look like a moron to absolutely everyone who reads your posts? Idiots. All left-wingers are total idiots. It's no wonder you have fools like AOC as democrats.

Only you could come on here, and claim your policies proved a concept, that was already proven over 100 years ago, and then claim others are regressive.

Horsecrap, it was not untill a few years ago that we finally got a commercially viable electric car.

Tesla turns a profit in what Musk calls ‘a historic quarter’

That is not true.
Early on steam and electric cars were some of the first ones sold commercially and profitably.
Gasoline cars did not do as well until after a massive gasoline distribution and sales network was produced.

But the reality is that gasoline, diesel fuel, alcohol, and hydrogen combustion for transportation produce far less emissions than electric vehicles.
The whole process of generating electricity, transmitting it, storing it, retrieving it, and converting it back into kinetic energy is vastly inefficient.
That is especially true since coal still is and will always remain the main source of electricity.
(We hardly have much oil or gas compared to coal.)

And not only is something like hydrogen produce far less emissions when burned than the production of electricity is, but it is far easier and faster to refuel hydrogen than electricity.

Truth hurts

I answered, you ignored.

No one was 'sitting on their hands'.

umm yes, as I said, your prescription to sit on our hands when it came to national policy on electric cars was ignored.

And yet no one was sitting on their hands, even without useless people like you pushing bad policy.

At 65 miles per hour that works out to one hour stop every 5 hours.

But it’s really only one stop for lunch, because you’ll be stoping for the night after 10 hours of driving.

Not as convenient as gasoline, but definitely doable.

so would the creation of the recharging energy be more or less efficient that using gasoline for that trip? Do you know? Do you care? and you have been silent on the issue of disposal of toxic batteries in the environment as well as the energy required to make them in the first place.

Batteries are recyclable

Next question.

Sort of they are....

According to this, only 5% of lithium batteries are recycled, and even those that are recycled, only some of the metals are recycled.

For example the toxic lithium itself, ends up in a mixed waste byproduct. Which will have to be dumped somewhere at this point.

You promote stuff with a mindless uninformed "batteries are recyclable" chant, without having the slightest clue what you are talking about. If you people would get out of the way, science based logic would push forward advancement.

Instead, you just spout off this parrot AOC style idiocy "This is fix! Fartless cows, and trains that fly to Hawaii, and all batteries are recyclable!"

The fix is in the method that the EU has done for the last 30 years. They set up a recycle battery program for we and dry cell batteries starting 30 years ago and have a huge jump on us in all directions. They are also not playing stupid tax games with trying to tax electric cars into oblivion. They are also recycling their batteries 100%.

You now want to blame the left on all this. What else is new. Recycling never has been high on any RW list of things to do. That's a LWers list. So don't throw up all those roadblocks so it doesn't get done and then blame theLW when it doesn't get done.

Fascinating given that the claim only 5% of lithium batteries are recycled, is from the EUs numbers.

Do you see how you prove yourself completely ignorant in every post? Even after I posted a like to the EU, saying they don't recycle 100% of the battery.... you come on here and boldly proclaim they do.

Do you not see how you have made yourself look like a moron to absolutely everyone who reads your posts? Idiots. All left-wingers are total idiots. It's no wonder you have fools like AOC as democrats.

I am an extreme leftist, but know that electric cars are not cleaner or more practical.
So we really should have more delineated terminology.
In stead of calling the AOC democrats liberals, we should give them a more accurate and distinctive label, like Snowflakes or something, to denote how impractical they are.

Horsecrap, it was not untill a few years ago that we finally got a commercially viable electric car.

Tesla turns a profit in what Musk calls ‘a historic quarter’

Then you are ignorant of history. Electric vehicles were in fact commercially viable in the late 1800s to 1900s. They died out, because gas is flat out better, than electric for a variety of reasons.

As for as Tesla, historic quarter... for Tesla. I'm all for it. Let them be successful. I have no problem with electric cars. I think it's mostly a joke to think of them as green... considering all the fuel that has to burn to make that electricity.

I have a question for all you Tesla fans thought....... two questions really.

1. Do you own an EV?
2. How many owners of EVs, do not own a gas powered car?

Batteries are recyclable

Next question.

Sort of they are....

I am an extreme leftist, but know that electric cars are not cleaner or more practical.
So we really should have more delineated terminology.
In stead of calling the AOC democrats liberals, we should give them a more accurate and distinctive label, like Snowflakes or something, to denote how impractical they are.

Out of curiosity, based on what do you describe yourself as an extreme leftist?

Face facts.
Electric cars always will have limited range, long refill, be inefficient in terms of generation, transmission, storage, recovery, and conversion, and there still is no clean way to generate electricity.
So we still have to invent something different.
Whether it is fusion reactors, fuel cells, steam engines, clean diesel, hydrogen, etc., I do not know or care.
But clearly just lithium battery electric cars like a Tesla, solve nothing at all.

Forum List

Back