Thank You, Founding Fathers, For the Electoral System

So you think Hillary would have created this great economy and brought NK to the table? :cuckoo:

Nothing was created. There is not a single economic indicator that changed after the election, all keep moving in the same direction.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Really?
Other than GDP, UER, Consumer Confidence, Business Confidence, and wages, you're right, nothing is better.

All of those kept following the same trends from the previous 5 years. Not a one of them changed direction after the election.

/----/ Well do you want them to change directions? They may be heading in the same direction but at a faster rate. Where are all the democRATs who screamed the economy would tank and we'd go into a deep recession if Trump won? Why does Maxine Waters threaten to reverse all of Trump's policies if the DNC takes control of Congress? Will that make things improve even faster than now?

What is moving “faster”? Is the UE rate going down faster? Are jobs being created faster.

I do not know where those idiots are, personally I moved more money to the markets the day after the election and it was a good move for about 14 months, now Trump has screwed that up also.

Guess you have a hard time drawing lines on graphs too.

So you think Hillary would have created this great economy and brought NK to the table? :cuckoo:

Nothing was created. There is not a single economic indicator that changed after the election, all keep moving in the same direction.

Really?
Other than GDP, UER, Consumer Confidence, Business Confidence, and wages, you're right, nothing is better.

All of those kept following the same trends from the previous 5 years. Not a one of them changed direction after the election.

/----/ Well do you want them to change directions? They may be heading in the same direction but at a faster rate. Where are all the democRATs who screamed the economy would tank and we'd go into a deep recession if Trump won? Why does Maxine Waters threaten to reverse all of Trump's policies if the DNC takes control of Congress? Will that make things improve even faster than now?

What is moving “faster”? Is the UE rate going down faster? Are jobs being created faster.

I do not know where those idiots are, personally I moved more money to the markets the day after the election and it was a good move for about 14 months, now Trump has screwed that up also.

/----/ Well this is from this morning's IBD: Stock futures remained slightly mixed, but had trimmed losses Wednesday. Apple (AAPL) and Shire (SHPG) hoisting the Nasdaq, and a surprise surge in July hiring countered the fresh trade war threats that were pressuring global markets lower.

And this:
Last month, Reuters reported results from two annual surveys by the Federal Reserve, writing, “Households are feeling more stable, small businesses are making money and many expect to expand and hire in the coming year, signs of continued optimism in two key parts of the economy….”

The latest National Federation of Independent Business employment survey showed 35-percent of small firm owners reported raising laborers’ pay in May, the highest percentage since NFIB began asking the question in 1986. The survey found the “single most important business problem” facing owners was finding qualified workers.

Really?

Guess you have a hard time drawing lines on graphs too.

Not at all, as a statistician it is a regular part of my job, well except we have programs to draw the lines.

Really?

/----/ Well this is from this morning's IBD: Stock futures remained slightly mixed, but had trimmed losses Wednesday. Apple (AAPL) and Shire (SHPG) hoisting the Nasdaq, and a surprise surge in July hiring countered the fresh trade war threats that were pressuring global markets lower.

And this:
Last month, Reuters reported results from two annual surveys by the Federal Reserve, writing, “Households are feeling more stable, small businesses are making money and many expect to expand and hire in the coming year, signs of continued optimism in two key parts of the economy….”

The latest National Federation of Independent Business employment survey showed 35-percent of small firm owners reported raising laborers’ pay in May, the highest percentage since NFIB began asking the question in 1986. The survey found the “single most important business problem” facing owners was finding qualified workers.

In the 14 months from his election win to when he imposed his first tariff the DJI had gone up roughly 38%, in the 6 months since that time it has gone down about 2%. The other markets have about the same results with only the NASDAQ showing any growth since then

The longer his stupid trade war last the more damage will be done to the economy.

The Founding Fathers feared a direct democracy.

They also feared their slaves getting freedom, shit in Chamber pots and thought bleeding people was a valid medical treatment.

Heck, even their original idea for the EC didn't work out that well, which is why they had to amend it with the 12th Amendment after the first couple of tries turned into a train wreck.

Here's the real problem with the EC. It disenfranchises most states. There's really no point in voting Republican in CA or Democratic in TX (at least for now). The election comes down to about 10 swing states, which are often vulnerable to the kind of hacking that went on in 2016.

It also locks us into a two party system that most folks kind of agree is broken. Third parties kind of whither and die after one cycle.

A much better system would be to have a general election and if no one gets more than 50% of the vote, then you have a run-off between the top two vote getters.

You are seriously going to compare a lack of medical knowledge to their understanding of political tyranny, something they had just endured?

Jefferson wanted to free the slave in the Declaration, but in order to have a collectivist state, decided to compromise his morals edit it out.

Your disdain for their political wisdom is duly noted.

Really?

And this:

In the 14 months from his election win to when he imposed his first tariff the DJI had gone up roughly 38%, in the 6 months since that time it has gone down about 2%. The other markets have about the same results with only the NASDAQ showing any growth since then

The longer his stupid trade war last the more damage will be done to the economy.

/---/ We tried it your way for 60 years and it's been an abject failure. Now let Trump negotiate from a position of power so he can eliminate all tariffs. .

Otherwise the votes in California, where it's legal to knowingly transmit HIV but you go to prison for handing out a straw, would have mattered.
True that. It keeps politicians with inadequate planning and inept campaigns out of office.

And this:

/---/ We tried it your way for 60 years and it's been an abject failure. Now let Trump negotiate from a position of power so he can eliminate all tariffs. .

What kind of a partisan moron calls 4% UE, more jobs than people and 109 straight months of economic expansion an “abject failure”?

And even you cannot be so ignorant and naive to think there will ever be zero tariffs. Do you really think we will get rid of all 4000 pages worth of tariffs we have?

Then what about subsidies?

trump_electoral_college.jpg

And this:

What kind of a partisan moron calls 4% UE, more jobs than people and 109 straight months of economic expansion an “abject failure”?

And even you cannot be so ignorant and naive to think there will ever be zero tariffs. Do you really think we will get rid of all 4000 pages worth of tariffs we have?

/-----/ "What kind of a partisan moron calls 4% UE, more jobs than people and 109 straight months of economic expansion an “abject failure”?"
I was talking about the abject failure of the tariffs from the last 60 years. I never included UE and jobs. But you couldn't resist throwing in a strawman argument, could you?
"And even you cannot be so ignorant and naive to think there will ever be zero tariffs. "
I guess I was wrong to believe anything from the left wing rag NYT. My bad.
U.S. and Europe Outline Deal to Ease Trade Feud - The New York Times
U.S. and Europe Outline Deal to Ease Trade Feud
7 days ago - But given President Trump's negotiating style, it was hard to say if the deal ... Trump said the Europeans agreed to work toward lower tariffs. The two sides, he said, had agreed to hold off on further tariffs, and work toward dropping the existing ones on steel and aluminum, while they tried to work out a deal to eliminate tariffs, nontariff barriers and subsidies on industrial goods, excluding autos.

And this:

/-----/ "What kind of a partisan moron calls 4% UE, more jobs than people and 109 straight months of economic expansion an “abject failure”?"
I was talking about the abject failure of the tariffs from the last 60 years. I never included UE and jobs. But you couldn't resist throwing in a strawman argument, could you?
"And even you cannot be so ignorant and naive to think there will ever be zero tariffs. "
I guess I was wrong to believe anything from the left wing rag NYT. My bad.
U.S. and Europe Outline Deal to Ease Trade Feud - The New York Times
U.S. and Europe Outline Deal to Ease Trade Feud
7 days ago - But given President Trump's negotiating style, it was hard to say if the deal ... Trump said the Europeans agreed to work toward lower tariffs. The two sides, he said, had agreed to hold off on further tariffs, and work toward dropping the existing ones on steel and aluminum, while they tried to work out a deal to eliminate tariffs, nontariff barriers and subsidies on industrial goods, excluding autos.

How can you say tariffs are a failure when the economy is booming?

What you need to do is learn to read, lower tariffs does not equal no tariffs.

Support this: National Popular Vote

Also, VOTE this November

When you consider that I believe at least 85-90% of Americans don’t deserve to vote, why would I ever support that?

I’m a staunch Conservative living in the Communistwealth of Taxachusetts; my vote has never counted.
and of course you are one of the people who should get a vote.....right?....

It’s fascinating to think that our founders knew there would be states that would foster and manifest disgusting human beings in mass numbers. They protected good, real Americans with the EC system. Their foresight was absolutely amazing.
BUT boy did they fuck up with the 14th and birthright citizenship.
They did know. They did not want Boston and New York making decisions for Virginia and Georgia.

Oh fucking bullshit. Virginia was by far the biggest electoral influence of its time. Go ask your teacher what state the first five presidents came from and tell me if Utah is the one that keeps coming up.

Dumbass.

No Virginia, every one except Adams, and 32 years out of 36, were slaveholders from Virginia. And that was ensured by the Electoral College and its infamous "three-fifths compromise" that let them count three-fifths of their slaves toward representational power while awarding those slaves zero-fifths of a vote in their own interests.

What the Electoral College does in practice is toss most voters' choices directly in the trash bin, prevents most citizens from seeing candidates in a campaign, creates artificial bullshit divisions of so-called "red" and "blue" states, which would not exist otherwise, and perpetuates the Duopoly forever with zero chance of any third party ever challenging it, ensuring we are condemned to a fake choice between Tweedle Fucking Dum and Tweedle Fucking Dee forever, whirled without end Amen.

Such a brilliant system that is that the only country in the world that elects leaders in a similar way is fucking Pakistan.

Let that hate out.

It used to be that states ran their own affairs, but the Federal government increasingly has taken over their power. Now the President determines such things as to how your child is educated in school to what doctor you should see. It's freak'in ridiculous and never designed this way. Now it is to the point where every Presidential election cycle, half of the country wants to impeach the President because power is so top heavy.

Yes, in a modern nation, you need centralized government.

Frankly, I'd rather have a centralized government deciding these things rather than some state level amateur politician like the lady with the big wart on her face I only hear from every two years when she's trying to get re-elected.

Now step back and ask yourself, what if states could decide such issues as health care, abortion, and gay marriage? You would no longer have half the country wanting to secede from the union every 4 years.

Yeah, instead you'd have a mishmash of laws that don't work... that wouldn't be better.

It would also help end corruption. Instead of buying off a hand full of powerful federal bureaucrats, you would be faced with multiplying that number by about 50 once state legislators regained their power over their own affairs. This is the way it was set up and it worked just fine.

Are you some kind of fucking retard? The lower down you get in elected officials, the MORE likely they are to be corrupt! Because the lower down you get, the less likely they are to get any attention from the media. Like I said, most people barely know who the lady with the Wart on her face is... but she's bought and paid for by right wing interests. And every two years, she stuffs my mailbox full of campaign literature paid for by the Koch Brothers.

For those interested, support your local Article V movement for states to amend the Constitution and regain their power back. About 12 states have already signed on and we only need 3/4 of them to make it a reality.

No, not really interested in the locals and the yokels making these kinds of decisions, thanks.

Saying that you need a centralized government to run a country is a tautology. Say it as many times as you like but this means nothing other than to you because that is what you believe. Why exactly do we need a centralized government to run everything?

To say that those in the federal government are so much smarter than the rest of the nation is arrogance beyond compare. This sort of arrogance is why we need people like you out of office.

Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often, and for the same reason. As it stands now, we have cartoon like characters running things like Crazy eyes in New York and Nancy Pelosi in California who have become more or less a royal family who will rule and reign indefinitely.

It seems to me the EC was set up to keep people like Trump from being potus. Jus sayin. Not a fan of it being able to thwart the voters' will, even if a minority of voters delivered enough states as occurred with Trump.

Forum List

Back