The repubican party should fight to legalize pot!

If Reps did support the legalization of pot, it sure would give them some extra points with the Dems!

The Republican party will never support the legalization of cannabis.

Wanna know why?

It was made illegal by a man named Anslinger who didn't like brown or black people (the primary consumers of cannabis) and wanted to lock them up.

The current GOP is looking for the same thing. Wanna talk about the stop and frisk laws? How about the checking of a person's citizenship in AZ?

If you support keeping cannabis illegal, you're at the very least a bigot, but, considering the evidence, you're probably a racist.

Blacks are arrested for holding pot at a rate of around 8 times what someone who is white.

And yeah......................I'm white and think that what's going on with the pot arrests of blacks is criminal.

Pot may have started out being what some consider a "black drug" but it isn't anymore! Hasn't been for a long, long time!

I mean seriously, let's think about this a bit. Those who are the movers and shakers of today in politics were the same one's back in the '60's protesting the Vietnam War and getting stoned to boot.

1939 seems like a long, long time ago to me!

Yeah................I was born in 1964.........................so it can also seem a long time for me as well.

However..........................if you don't remember history, people can lie to you.

Do you like being lied to?

Do you like being lied to?

Really? Would anyone really answer "yes" to that question? :lol:

I'm somewhat familiar with the history of marijuana. However, today it's a different ball of wax. MJ isn't a "black drug"...it's a recreational drug that all sorts of folks partake of and the drug laws regarding it are seriously antiquated.

States are passing legalization laws while meanwhile on the Federal level it remains illegal and we're spending a ton of money to irradicate it. Let's legalize it and balace the budget!

If the Reps did all of a sudden back it's legalization they just may regain some votes from those sitting on the fence. And who knows...perhaps some cross over Dem votes as well.

The Reps need to be bold...and not with the likes of a Sarah Palin again!!! Stupid strategy, that was!

It took a Constitutional Amendment to make alcohol illegal across the entire nation. Every wonder how the Federal Government (Congress and the President) were able to do the same thing with Marijuana?

Even so the original Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 was declared unconstitutional, however by then the Federal Government had grown so powerful that the were able simply legislate it's illegally across all 50 states. It's so entrenched now and so many government agencies have their bread buttered by the current drug laws that it seems to me that leaders in both parties still condone the draconian interdiction and incarceration policies we now have. People need to get involved in the primaries of both parties and select more pro-legalization candidate. Out with the old and in with the new.

It took a Constitutional Amendment to make alcohol illegal across the entire nation. Every wonder how the Federal Government (Congress and the President) were able to do the same thing with Marijuana?

Even so the original Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 was declared unconstitutional, however by then the Federal Government had grown so powerful that the were able simply legislate it's illegally across all 50 states. It's so entrenched now and so many government agencies have their bread buttered by the current drug laws that it seems to me that leaders in both parties still condone the draconian interdiction and incarceration policies we now have. People need to get involved in the primaries of both parties and select more pro-legalization candidate. Out with the old and in with the new.

The prohibition amendment was a product of the progressive era of the late 1800's early 1900's. It was a time of "grand thinking" which led to the temperance organizations to think big, and go for an amendment instead of a plain old law. They also realized that there might be "some" backlash to the banning of alcohol, and saw an amendment as a way to prevent a majority from oveturning thier "grand experiment." The main issue is the underestimated the backlash, as well as the opprotunism of the criminal element when it came to breaking prohibition laws.

Legalize pot, heroin, coke and tax the hell out of it for rehab uses.

Government is going to pay for rehab, at least fund the damn thing, get the bad crap off the streets and allow drug stores to sell it.

The Republican party will never support the legalization of cannabis.

Wanna know why?

It was made illegal by a man named Anslinger who didn't like brown or black people (the primary consumers of cannabis) and wanted to lock them up.

The current GOP is looking for the same thing. Wanna talk about the stop and frisk laws? How about the checking of a person's citizenship in AZ?

If you support keeping cannabis illegal, you're at the very least a bigot, but, considering the evidence, you're probably a racist.

Blacks are arrested for holding pot at a rate of around 8 times what someone who is white.

And yeah......................I'm white and think that what's going on with the pot arrests of blacks is criminal.

Just about every one of your posts you state your sympathy for blacks.
Go suck a black dick.

Those nasty republicans in 1937 were able to make pot illegal in all 50 states. How were they able to do that? In 1937 we didn't have 50 states.

The prohibition amendment was a product of the progressive era of the late 1800's early 1900's. It was a time of "grand thinking" which led to the temperance organizations to think big, and go for an amendment instead of a plain old law. They also realized that there might be "some" backlash to the banning of alcohol, and saw an amendment as a way to prevent a majority from oveturning thier "grand experiment." The main issue is the underestimated the backlash, as well as the opprotunism of the criminal element when it came to breaking prohibition laws.

While many who were fighting for women's right were also part of the temperance movement, I think you can see a much stronger conservative evangelical presence in the movement. Any federal law banning alcohol would have been struck down by the courts as unconstitutional. Which is why they used a prohibited tax to effectively make it illegal (along with sub-machine guns) in 1937.

It think issues like this will continue to turn the political axis - away from the traditional left/right split, toward a libertarian/authoritarian divide.

If and when the Republicans do begin taking liberty seriously, the neo-cons and social conservatives will begin to split off and join the Democrats, who seem to be content taking up the authoritarian cause. Could get interesting.

Last edited:

Those nasty republicans in 1937 were able to make pot illegal in all 50 states. How were they able to do that? In 1937 we didn't have 50 states.

The original tax was declared unconstitutional when? When did the Government pass the Controlled Substances Act? (Pssst, it was 1969.) Let me repeat myself "both parties still condone the draconian interdiction and incarceration "

While many who were fighting for women's right were also part of the temperance movement, I think you can see a much stronger conservative evangelical presence in the movement. Any federal law banning alcohol would have been struck down by the courts as unconstitutional. Which is why they used a prohibited tax to effectively make it illegal (along with sub-machine guns) in 1937.

Back during that period progressivism and conservative christianity were not exclusive. Those groups saw government as a way to push thier views on others (help people) just the same as our modern statists see government as way to push thier views on others to "help" them.

Forum List

Back