Zone1 The term "Personal relationship with Jesus" is not in the Bible

Yep, but you'll have to argue what Jesus said.
No. I don't. Jewish law decrees what happens.

“Woman, behold, your son.” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his home. John 19:26-27

Are you seriously arguing against Jewish law? The key point here is that if James were the son of Mary as you claim - there would have been no need for Jesus to transfer his obligation to John as that obligation would have automatically transferred to the next oldest son but since there were no other sons, Jesus selected John - the disciple he loved the most - to care for his mother.

And from that hour the disciple took her into his home. John 19:27
John took
Are you seriously arguing against Jewish law? The key point here is that if James were the son of Mary as you claim - there would have been no need for Jesus to transfer his obligation to John as that obligation would have automatically transferred to the next oldest son but since there were no other sons, Jesus selected John - the disciple he loved the most - to care for his mother.

And from that hour the disciple took her into his home. John 19:27
Read this.

John took

Read this.
“Woman, behold, your son.” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his home. John 19:26-27

No, he was talking about WITNESSING to others. Whether I agree with HIS beliefs or not, Christ COMMANDS His followers to preach the gospel as they understand it. This is why we hay a responsibility to get it right.
So why are you disagreeing with me? I can speak/witness/testify to people of all beliefs without insisting they give up their own faith.

So why are you disagreeing with me? I can speak/witness/testify to people of all beliefs without insisting they give up their own faith.
Because you're looking to argue

THIS was Your accusatory response to me acknowledging COMMON GROUND with someone I disagree with concerning Catholic beliefs. Where did I ever say THIS:

You agree that people should be forced into changing their beliefs?

Like I said, you just want to argue for the sake of being disagreeable.

Because you're looking to argue

THIS was Your accusatory response to me acknowledging COMMON GROUND with someone I disagree with concerning Catholic beliefs. Where did I ever say THIS:

Like I said, you just want to argue for the sake of being disagreeable.
I don't believe she is trying to argue with you. The essence of the post you said you agreed with was that it's not ok to tolerate other religious beliefs. I believe she was genuinely surprised that you would agree with that. I know I was. God gave everyone free will. Who are we to try to take that away from them?

Ok. Care to comment on the rest of the information?

Ok. Care to comment on the rest of the information?
No. Because this says it all.

If James were the son of Mary - as you claim - there would have been no need for Jesus to transfer his obligation to John as that obligation would have automatically transferred to the next oldest son but since there were no other sons, Jesus selected John - the disciple he loved the most - to care for his mother.

No. Because this says it all.

If James were the son of Mary - as you claim - there would have been no need for Jesus to transfer his obligation to John as that obligation would have automatically transferred to the next oldest son but since there were no other sons, Jesus selected John - the disciple he loved the most - to care for his mother.

What about his brothers being unbelievers? According to Jewish law, wouldn't the next oldest son take care of her?

Pope Pius IX in his encyclical letter (1863) said that Well known is the Catholic teaching that no one can be saved outside the Catholic Church. This refers to the belief that only those who are in full communion with the Catholic Church and accept the teachings and magisterium of the Church can be saved.
Why stop at 1863? Let's go back to Ritulae Romanum and Baptism.

Q: What do you ask of God's Church?
A: Faith.

Q: What does faith offer you?
A: Eternal life.

This is included in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which in the next sentence says, "Salvation comes from God alone..."

Faith is apportioned to us by God, but it is the Church that teaches a life of faith.

The entire context of Catholic teaching must be known/presented. Finding something in 1863 does not encompass all of Catholic teaching.

What about his brothers being unbelievers?
Jewish law doesn't have that stipulation and you have zero scriptural basis for that belief.

If you want to continue disparaging the mother of Christ be my guest but you are ignoring scripture in doing so.

Why stop at 1863? Let's go back to Ritulae Romanum and Baptism.

Q: What do you ask of God's Church?
A: Faith.

Q: What does faith offer you?
A: Eternal life.

This is included in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which in the next sentence says, "Salvation comes from God alone..."

Faith is apportioned to us by God, but it is the Church that teaches a life of faith.

The entire context of Catholic teaching must be known/presented. Finding something in 1863 does not encompass all of Catholic teaching.
If I have faith in Jesus and his Word but I'm not a Catholic, am I saved?

Jewish law doesn't have that stipulation and you have zero scriptural basis for that belief.

If you want to continue disparaging the mother of Christ be my guest but you are ignoring scripture in doing so.
Wrong. Jewish law says the oldest son is responsible for the mother. Jesus was the oldest and James was next, but he wasn't a believer at that time. John was.

This is not an argument. It is a question asked to gain understanding into your perspective. And I am still confused. That may be because you are arguing over something about which I am seeking understanding.

I am not the one being disagreeable. I am truly interested.

Wrong. Jewish law says the oldest son is responsible for the mother. Jesus was the oldest and James was next, but he wasn't a believer at that time. John was.
What's your scriptural basis for believing that?

John wasn't his brother. Jesus had no brothers as explained in posts 269, 271, 272, 273 and 274.

Last edited:
If I have faith in Jesus and his Word but I'm not a Catholic, am I saved?
"Saved" is a terminology used by non-Catholic Christians. Catholics tend to use the words, Reconciliation, Redemption, Salvation. "Saved" is not even listed in the index of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Let's start with this question: What are you "saved" from?

In Catholicism, we do hear that Christ saved us from our sins, but that is seen more in the light of repentance (turning away from sin to God) which is reconciliation and redemption. And, as I noted earlier, Salvation comes from God.

Forum List

Back