This shit needs to stop NOW. Ford moving ALL small production to Mexico

Why?

We complain about the cost of cars, or any other product - we complain when our 401(k) doesn't produce enough money to retire on - we complain when our stock investments don't return a reasonable investment.

A simple fact -- increased cost of labor causes an increased retail price. Tariffs on imports means tariffs on exports.

Nothing in life is free ... there is a cost for keeping those jobs in-country. The only question is ... are you willing to pay it?
I already pay it.

The increased cost of our vehicles can be attributed to two entities.

The government via high taxes & regulations.
The unions

Conveniently you ignore the other leg of that stool -- direct labor costs. In addition, you fail to recognize the increased labor costs as a direct result of those "high taxes & regulations".

How about a compromise? You decrease taxes to a level that offsets the savings of cheaper labor, and Ford will stay here.

However, you also need to be willing to sacrifice all the goodies those increased taxes pay for. Since you're a working man, you might not notice the decrease in workmen's comp coverage, or the decrease in contributions to Social Security, or the lowered food stamp value, or the decrease in road maintenance, or the federal contribution to your schools, or the federal guarantees for mortgages and student loans, or the inability to fund our national defense.

Everything has a price ... how much are you willing to pay?
I didn't ignore labor costs lol. That is the direct result of the unions which was one of my two points.

Then - what's your point? You want increased wages -you want safe roads, you want clean air and water, and you want a nice retirement, or the extra income from investments. You want everybody to have food on their table, you want people to have affordable health care, you want ... you want ... you want ...

What are you willing to trade off to get what you want?
Putin the crack pipe down. That shit never came out of my mouth and is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to this conversation. Put on your big boy pants and join the adult conversation......or not

No --- it is EXACTLY the point of the discussion.

You made an unreasonable demand - and now you can't justify the impact. It's easy to make loud statements, yell about all the inequality in the world, but we don't need slogans and caterwauling. We need ANSWERS.

You haven't offered any ... maybe you're the one who needs to join the adult conversation.

I already pay it.

The unions

Conveniently you ignore the other leg of that stool -- direct labor costs. In addition, you fail to recognize the increased labor costs as a direct result of those "high taxes & regulations".

How about a compromise? You decrease taxes to a level that offsets the savings of cheaper labor, and Ford will stay here.

However, you also need to be willing to sacrifice all the goodies those increased taxes pay for. Since you're a working man, you might not notice the decrease in workmen's comp coverage, or the decrease in contributions to Social Security, or the lowered food stamp value, or the decrease in road maintenance, or the federal contribution to your schools, or the federal guarantees for mortgages and student loans, or the inability to fund our national defense.

I didn't ignore labor costs lol. That is the direct result of the unions which was one of my two points.

Then - what's your point? You want increased wages -you want safe roads, you want clean air and water, and you want a nice retirement, or the extra income from investments. You want everybody to have food on their table, you want people to have affordable health care, you want ... you want ... you want ...

Putin the crack pipe down. That shit never came out of my mouth and is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to this conversation. Put on your big boy pants and join the adult conversation......or not

You made an unreasonable demand - and now you can't justify the impact. It's easy to make loud statements, yell about all the inequality in the world, but we don't need slogans and caterwauling. We need ANSWERS.

You haven't offered any ... maybe you're the one who needs to join the adult conversation.
You are too stupid to continue conversing with.

Bye

Bye

Can't hang, huh?

Sorry if I ruined your temper tantrum.

Why?

We complain about the cost of cars, or any other product - we complain when our 401(k) doesn't produce enough money to retire on - we complain when our stock investments don't return a reasonable investment.

A simple fact -- increased cost of labor causes an increased retail price. Tariffs on imports means tariffs on exports.

Nothing in life is free ... there is a cost for keeping those jobs in-country. The only question is ... are you willing to pay it?
I already pay it.

The unions

He...he...he...he...he! You said "Putin". He he.

Congress does not need to wait for Trump or Hillary to put a stop to this bullshit.

We need legislation that says if you are an American founded company and you move your production out of country you will be required to pay a HUGE fee to ship your products back into the states.

Ford shifting all U.S. small-car production to Mexico

This trend MUST BE STOPPED. No more empty promises about creating jobs. It is time to SAVE THE JOBS.

You're full of it as usual. The head drama queen, and so on.

First off. If the jobs are going, it's better they go to our friends south of the border so they won't be showing up here as illegals looking for a job, and a better way of life.

Second. Fuck China. We already sent them to many jobs.

Nafta was supposed to help mexico as well as usa. But the real flood of mexicans to this country came after Nafta.

Bye

Can't hang, huh?

Because clean water & investment income is relative to this topic.....

Fucking idiot

This thread based upon the silly premise that Capitalism is going to halt it's plans for the sake of appeasing the OP.

Bye

Can't hang, huh?

Because clean water & investment income is relative to this topic.....

Fucking idiot

You REALLY don't understand, do you? Clean water & investment income is DIRECTLY relevant to the topic ... you're just too simple to see it.

15% corporate tax rate with a 5% minimum.

2 year tax amnesty on repatriated money.

Top-to-bottom audit and review of business regulations to determine effectiveness, efficiencies and redunancies.

Save & strengthen unions by keeping collective bargaining of current pay & benefits and critical safety laws, and by replacing business-crippling long term retirement benefits with 401K plans and drop silly rules (such as "this guy can't drive that truck" or "that guy can't use that equipment")

Dump the ACA and take a massive cost monkey off the back of employers by expanding our existing Medicare/Medicare Advantage/Medicare Supplement system to all, in tandem with tort reform

Fire up the $15 minimum wage

There. That should piss off both ends of the argument. Probably a good sign.

You won't believe how they will market it as "Made in America".
I suppose not, but they'll start by changing the Fords ads to, "Made By America!"

No it's worse than that.

:lol:

They are allowed that if even the tires are MIA to claim that it is an American product.

My hubby had the best of times at Saturn pointing out to the union guys that their cars and trucks were made out of Oshawa Ontario. But the poor sops believed the made in America sticker as they were literally running around the parking lot at Saturn keying "foreign cars".
No tiny, I think the law is that they can say "Made in the USA" if the car was put together in the USA, even though ALL of the parts and pieces and components of the car, were produced in a foreign Nation....???

This is how the law was with Shoe Manufacturing and the USA labeling..... You would think cars would be the same.....NOTHING, or NONE of the parts and components of the car has to be made here, as long as they put the parts and pieces together here, the car is "Made in the USA" is my understanding....???

Last edited:
Congress does not need to wait for Trump or Hillary to put a stop to this bullshit.

We need legislation that says if you are an American founded company and you move your production out of country you will be required to pay a HUGE fee to ship your products back into the states.

This trend MUST BE STOPPED. No more empty promises about creating jobs. It is time to SAVE THE JOBS.

Why?

Over regulation is why companies bail.
One thing we don't need is regulations on building vehicles that carry our families at 70 mph.

Thank Reagan and Bush I for NAFTA, which is the reason nothing can or will be done about it.

GM is closing their last plant in Oshawa, Ontario, at the end of this year. At one time they employed 20,000 people in Oshawa. It'll be down to 400 office workers by the end of the year.

Top-to-bottom audit and review of business regulations to determine effectiveness, efficiencies and redunancies.

Save & strengthen unions by keeping collective bargaining of current pay & benefits and critical safety laws, and by replacing business-crippling long term retirement benefits with 401K plans and drop silly rules (such as "this guy can't drive that truck" or "that guy can't use that equipment")

Dump the ACA and take a massive cost monkey off the back of employers by expanding our existing Medicare/Medicare Advantage/Medicare Supplement system to all, in tandem with tort reform

Actually, this is a good start ... except (and there always is one) ... you need to look at the long-term impact of both sides of the discussion.

Rollback of some regulations may have an adverse impact (though, I strongly suspect damn few of them) ... conversely, changes to pensions, etc., means there will be a larger group of indigent retirees (because of their own poor planning). Are we willing to forgive their sins and provide for them on the tax dole?

As for the minimum wage increase ... it has been hashed out to death. From my perspective, most of it is BS. While I agree that increasing the wages of minimum wage workers alone from $7.50 to $15 will have minor impact on the overall scheme, most analysts forget the ripple effect (or intentionally avoid it so they can arrive at a preconceived politically correct answer). It is unreasonable to believe that all the people making TWICE minimum wage today aren't going to demand an increase in wages so that they can maintain their position on the financial scale. If I make twice minimum wage today, I expect to make twice minimum wage after you raise it.

Regarding unions - if we strengthen them, does that mean we can eliminate all the labor laws from the books and depend on the union to maintain safe and equitable work places? Why do we need both? Labor laws have become so all-inclusive that there is no function for unions other than to negotiate pay and benefits. (Yeah, I know --- our labor laws have gone so overboard in the other direction, the whole business is threatening to sink under its own weight).

As for tax cuts --- and, boy, am I in favor of tax cuts -- what government services/benefits are you willing to give up in order to lower the tax burden? We can't continue to run negative - someday, somewhere, we have to stop deficit spending. Couple all this with a balanced budget amendment, and you might have something there.

But, as you say .... a good place to start.

Agreed.

I support the workers right to form Union. But when they get too greedy...

Non-union shops are making BMWs, Mercedes, Toyotas all over the place...

It's too bad, Ford was the only American car maker that made cars that last more than 5 years.

Why?

Over regulation is why companies bail.
One thing we don't need is regulations on building vehicles that carry our families at 70 mph.

A fine example of rhetorical nonsense that simply impedes intelligent discussion without contributing to the discussion at any level.

The truth of the matter is that there is nothing that can be done...we have a free trade agreement between countries so we legally can not initiate a tariff on goods imported from Mexico.

It took George H W Bush 4 full years before he was able to develop NAFTA and have all 3 Presidents of the 3 countries sign the Treaty and then another 6 months before Congress voted and ratified it....

NAFTA, would have to be revised, in order to institute tariffs or completely nullified which ALSO would take an act of Congress....

Maybe the best approach would be another way....??? I don't know what, but maybe if we put a pencil to it or discussed it with various businesses that have put a pencil to it and figure out, if there is anything that is pushing them to leave beyond simply the CHEAP labor? Maybe it is rules and regs or tax policy etc??? And if it is rules and regs etc, then which ones specifically hurts them the most, and which ones make the move to making things overseas easier...then Congress needs to do their jobs and legislate, on behalf of ''we the people''....?

Actually, this is a good start ... except (and there always is one) ... you need to look at the long-term impact of both sides of the discussion.

Rollback of some regulations may have an adverse impact (though, I strongly suspect damn few of them) ... conversely, changes to pensions, etc., means there will be a larger group of indigent retirees (because of their own poor planning). Are we willing to forgive their sins and provide for them on the tax dole?

As for the minimum wage increase ... it has been hashed out to death. From my perspective, most of it is BS. While I agree that increasing the wages of minimum wage workers alone from $7.50 to $15 will have minor impact on the overall scheme, most analysts forget the ripple effect (or intentionally avoid it so they can arrive at a preconceived politically correct answer). It is unreasonable to believe that all the people making TWICE minimum wage today aren't going to demand an increase in wages so that they can maintain their position on the financial scale. If I make twice minimum wage today, I expect to make twice minimum wage after you raise it.

Regarding unions - if we strengthen them, does that mean we can eliminate all the labor laws from the books and depend on the union to maintain safe and equitable work places? Why do we need both? Labor laws have become so all-inclusive that there is no function for unions other than to negotiate pay and benefits. (Yeah, I know --- our labor laws have gone so overboard in the other direction, the whole business is threatening to sink under its own weight).

As for tax cuts --- and, boy, am I in favor of tax cuts -- what government services/benefits are you willing to give up in order to lower the tax burden? We can't continue to run negative - someday, somewhere, we have to stop deficit spending. Couple all this with a balanced budget amendment, and you might have something there.

I'm not necessarily saying that we should roll back regulations - they're absolutely necessary and I'm fine with that. I do think that we'd find quite a few redundancies and inefficiencies, though. I also think we tend to equate "more" regulations with "better' regulations, and that just ain't the case.

Current pensions have made promises and they would have to be kept, grandfathered in. We can't take money away that people have been expecting.

I'd bet that between unions, employers and legislators would could streamline workplace safety laws. Cooperation!

I'd drop corporate tax rates and (assuming we maintain current tax rules) add four new margins on top, 44.9%, 49.9%, 54.9%, 59.9%. In terms of government services, those need to audited better for efficiencies, but I'm not after big cuts in services.

I'm not necessarily saying that we should roll back regulations - they're absolutely necessary and I'm fine with that. I do think that we'd find quite a few redundancies and inefficiencies, though. I also think we tend to equate "more" regulations with "better' regulations, and that just ain't the case.

Current pensions have made promises and they would have to be kept, grandfathered in. We can't take money away that people have been expecting.

I'd bet that between unions, employers and legislators would could streamline workplace safety laws. Cooperation!

I'd drop corporate tax rates and (assuming we maintain current tax rules) add four new margins on top, 44.9%, 49.9%, 54.9%, 59.9%. In terms of government services, those need to audited better for efficiencies, but I'm not after big cuts in services.

If the regulations we have today are "necessary", then we need to keep them. That would seem to put the lie to the "regulations are driving companies overseas" arguments. I'm not sure I'm ready to make that leap.

Unnecessary regulation creates two things - increased compliance costs and increased verification costs (somebody has to pay for those bureaucrats).

",,, unions, employers and legislators would could streamline workplace safety laws". Could, but they haven't ... today, we just pass a regulation and beat the employer over the head with it.

Inefficiency? Boy, howdy! Duplication of effort? Out the as ..... well, you know. But, you and I will strongly disagree on the efficacy and propriety of government services. The government continues to usurp the responsibilities of the individual ... feeding its own power vacuum. We need to cut cost a hell of a lot more than we need to increase income.

Forum List

Back