Trump classified documents trial date set for Aug. 14

Demented avenger subverted demoralized Stalinist zombies, masters of GASLIGHT THEATRE BULLSHIT
:fu:
Conservatives are essentially cowards – they lack the courage to address difficult topics, topics they don’t like, topics that are embarrassing and reflect poorly on conservatives and Republicans, such as Trump’s criminal trial.

So they try to deflect from the topic with ridiculous, childish fallacies.

(A) Fitton isn't a lawyer.

(B) Fitton (embodied in Judicial Watch) - Lost the Clinton Tape case.

(C) Agree, he (an English Major) was giving bad advice but FPOTUS chose to listen to him instead of - you know - his actual lawyers.

(D) Clintons civil non-classified tapes under the PRA, will have not bearing on a criminal Espionage case.

WW
(E) Another failed attempt to deflect from the topic by a rightwing coward.

Does not our constitution guarantee the right to a speedy trial?
Yes, the Sixth Amendment to the Constitution provides that the accused in a criminal prosecution shall enjoy the right to a speedy trial. The question arises as to what is a speedy trial. That depends on the court system, laws and of course staffing. In the federal system, a speedy trial is considered less than 70 days after indictment. However, if the defense is not pushing for a speedy trial and there are many pretrial issues to be resolved, it is possible that the trial may be delayed a year or more. Since it appears the defense is not pushing for a speedy trial, there are a number of weighty pretrial issues, and this judge is not very experienced with this type of trial, it is likely that Trump will not see a court room till next summer.

Last edited:
Yes, the Sixth Amendment to the Constitution provides that the accused in a criminal prosecution shall enjoy the right to a speedy trial. The question arises as to what is a speedy trial. That depends on the court system, laws and of course staffing. In the federal system, a speedy trial is considered less than 70 days after indictment. However, if the defense is not pushing for a speedy trial and there are many pretrial issues to be resolved, it is possible that the trial may be delayed a year or more. Since it appears the defense is not pushing for a speedy trial, there are a number of weighty pretrial issues, and this judge is not very experienced with this type of trial, it is likely that Trump will not see a court room till next summer.
Correct.

The ‘right to a speedy trial’ applies solely to the government – where the government cannot detain a defendant indefinitely by willfully delaying his trial.

It doesn’t apply to the defendant, of course – who is at liberty to exhaust his comprehensive right to due process to ensure all witnesses, testimony, and evidence are available for his trial.

Indeed, too speedy of a trial might jeopardize the accused’s defense.

There is no way a trial can happen this fast. No way. Never happens in the real world so if it happens now it's fixed.
From what I've been hearing Cannon has a habit of setting early trial dates and then allows for delays for all manner of reasons, most of which are legit. Still, It's a positive sign she appears willing to move the case along. Notably, the venue has been changed from Miami to Ft. Pierce.

From what I've been hearing Cannon has a habit of setting early trial dates and then allows for delays for all manner of reasons, most of which are legit. Still, It's a positive sign she appears willing to move the case along. Notably, the venue has been changed from Miami to Ft. Pierce.
I just don't understand the logic.
1. Our court dockets are all jammed for months, sometimes over a year with endless criminal cases.
2. Attorneys on both sides need time to develop their cases and this isn't some silly burglary case where the evidence is minimal yet still takes 6 months to go before a judge.
3. Defense attorneys have to have time to deal with the evidence prosecutors are required to give them. (Discovery?)
4. My own personal experience in the early 80's it took almost a year to get to trial.

It just seems "off" to me knowing what little I do know about our system.

A Florida federal judge on Tuesday scheduled the criminal trial of former President Donald Trump for his alleged illegal retention of classified government documents to begin Aug. 14.

But legal experts do not expect the trial to begin so early, given the time needed to resolve legal issues before a jury starts hearing testimony and being presented with evidence.

Trump classified documents trial date set for Aug. 14

Prepare yourselves for an onslaught of delaying tactics from the Orange Obstructionist.

Great news.

I just don't understand the logic.
1. Our court dockets are all jammed for months, sometimes over a year with endless criminal cases.
2. Attorneys on both sides need time to develop their cases and this isn't some silly burglary case where the evidence is minimal yet still takes 6 months to go before a judge.
3. Defense attorneys have to have time to deal with the evidence prosecutors are required to give them. (Discovery?)
4. My own personal experience in the early 80's it took almost a year to get to trial.

It just seems "off" to me knowing what little I do know about our system.
A speedy trial in federal counts means within 70 days of indictment. As long as delays are due to pretrial defense motions which most are, the trial is still considered speedy even if it takes a year as this one probably will. This judge is known for scheduling trials within the 70 days. She is also known to have run just four relatively routine criminal trials in her short tenure on the bench which is a stark contrast to the historic and complex proceedings she's about to undertake related to the former president. A judge that lacks experience in a complex trial like this one will need time to research motions before making ruling. So don't expect a trial till late spring or summer next year.

Forum List

Back