🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trumps newest appointment seems to break nepotism law

Jared Kushner to be named Trump senior adviser: media
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump will appoint his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to the position of senior adviser to the president, media outlets reported on Monday, a potentially thorny choice in the face of anti-nepotism law.
The appointment of Kushner, first reported by NBC, had been anticipated but it had been unclear what his official role would be. The New York Times and ABC also reported the upcoming appointment. The Times reported that his title could be adjusted.
Like Trump, Kushner is a New York-based real estate developer with a wide net of business dealings that could pose potential conflicts of interest.
Kushner, who married Trump's eldest daughter, Ivanka, in 2009, helped guide Republican Trump to victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton in the Nov. 8 presidential election.
I don't see how this wouldn't go against the nepotism law.

I was listening to this on NPR - not this specific appointment but the possibility of Trump family members being appointed and it's not that clear. For example they can be appointed to a non-paying position and it doesn't technically break the law though it looks bad and breaks the spirit of the law.
Well, they get paid. Probably well. But im not so sure if it has anything to do with it.. IMO it seems to be more in line with the actual role. Actually having jurisdiction or something.

Maybe...I'll have to see if I can find a link to the discussion.
I posted the law on the first page or two.

Two Words...

Robert Kennedy

A lot of these rules have exceptions to them.

Someday Lefty will get tired of jamming broken coke bottles up his ass.

Perhaps after 8 years of Donald Trump he'll finally bleed out.
Robert happened before it became law

It will most likely be allowed. No sense in Lefty getting his blood soaked panties in a bind over it.
My advice is that Lefty go stock up on tampons.
Im not a lefty and I don't want family members in crucial roles like that. The only question is if "Senior advisor" means anything.
It means something. No doubt about that.

It means there is ZERO distance between Trump and his private business - unlike in modern history. Even Nixon cashed out before being sworn in.

Also, since it is an unofficial position and is a direct aid to the president, his kids don't need anything significant in the way of security clearances.

He can bring his family into the war room during a national nuclear event if he wants - all that is required is a cursory review.

There are NO state secrets from Ivanka and Kushner - they can be present for discussion of all intel, regardless of what security level is required, as long as papa Trump invites them.
So this doesn't break the nepotism law?
What I've found is that the nepotism law probably doesn't apply, since his kids aren't taking official government positions. He couldn't choose his daughter to be Sec State, because that is an official position.

Also, the "emoluments" regulation may dodge the fact of the president working to use government to add to his own wealth, unless congress decides to impeach him. There isn't some half way measure.

Finally, the laws on security clearance requirements give the president huge latitude in whom he chooses to bring into the most top secrete circles we have in the entire US. The war room, the military, the NSA - Kushner and Ivanka can be there as long as Trump wants, as long as they pass an amazingly lax security review - not anything even slightly close to a security clearance. In fact, even the cursory review could probably be treated as advisory.

In the end, we give the president huge power and latitude.

We trust that we have made a wise decision in our choice of president!!

Robert happened before it became law

It will most likely be allowed. No sense in Lefty getting his blood soaked panties in a bind over it.
My advice is that Lefty go stock up on tampons.
Im not a lefty and I don't want family members in crucial roles like that. The only question is if "Senior advisor" means anything.
It means something. No doubt about that.

It means there is ZERO distance between Trump and his private business - unlike in modern history. Even Nixon cashed out before being sworn in.

Also, since it is an unofficial position and is a direct aid to the president, his kids don't need anything significant in the way of security clearances.

He can bring his family into the war room during a national nuclear event if he wants - all that is required is a cursory review.

There are NO state secrets from Ivanka and Kushner - they can be present for discussion of all intel, regardless of what security level is required, as long as papa Trump invites them.
So this doesn't break the nepotism law?
What I've found is that the nepotism law probably doesn't apply, since his kids aren't taking official government positions. He couldn't choose his daughter to be Sec State, because that is an official position.

Also, the "emoluments" regulation may dodge the fact of the president working to use government to add to his own wealth, unless congress decides to impeach him. There isn't some half way measure.

Finally, the laws on security clearance requirements give the president huge latitude in whom he chooses to bring into the most top secrete circles we have in the entire US. The war room, the military, the NSA - Kushner and Ivanka can be there as long as Trump wants, as long as they pass an amazingly lax security review - not anything even slightly close to a security clearance. In fact, even the cursory review could probably be treated as advisory.

In the end, we give the president huge power and latitude.

We trust that we have made a wise decision in our choice of president!!
They get too much power. Wayyyy to much.

Really? Is this what loony Trump-Haters have come to? This actually troubles them? Really? :cuckoo:

See TN? This is who you want to have a discussion with?

Fall in line or be a Trump hater. There is no middle.

:lol: Y'all Trump-Haters have gone butt-hurt insane.
so you don't care about the law either?

No, not at all. This is completely inconsequential. But hey, you wanna sit around freaking out about it, so be it i guess. Whatever floats your boat. :cuckoo:

At the end of the day Trump is immune to US laws.
No, this isn't true at all.

The only real catch is that someone has to prosecute.

In most cases, it would need to be an impeachment.

And, this congress isn't even willing to vet his nominees!!!

This dude just said he doesnt care about laws ROFL!!! So what stops people from doing others wrong if laws are now throw aways depending on "caring" or some other emotional arguement?

Really? Is this what loony Trump-Haters have come to? This actually troubles them? Really? :cuckoo:

No, not at all. This is completely inconsequential. But hey, you wanna sit around freaking out about it, so be it i guess. Whatever floats your boat. :cuckoo:
:bye1:

:bye1:
24d87a9f18ef8a9275e6f75df2125f30.jpg

Is there not a defense on this?

No, you will find there is no defense for a lot of this but they will call you doody head and react emotionally at any questions directed toward Putin's Pick.
shutup CC. Nobody gives a fuck

Emotional

You giving TN a hard time because he's keeping an eye on El Cheeto Gigante? What kind of cheesy political ploy is that? There's a LOT of right thinking "not Dem fanatics" who are cringing at the stuff the Meglomaniac is doing.

I would THINK we'd all get together at SOME point and watch this guy TOGETHER.. Am I dreaming here? Or are you so set in the partisan divide you can't help yourself? :p

Jared Kushner to be named Trump senior adviser: media
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump will appoint his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to the position of senior adviser to the president, media outlets reported on Monday, a potentially thorny choice in the face of anti-nepotism law.
The appointment of Kushner, first reported by NBC, had been anticipated but it had been unclear what his official role would be. The New York Times and ABC also reported the upcoming appointment. The Times reported that his title could be adjusted.
Like Trump, Kushner is a New York-based real estate developer with a wide net of business dealings that could pose potential conflicts of interest.
Kushner, who married Trump's eldest daughter, Ivanka, in 2009, helped guide Republican Trump to victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton in the Nov. 8 presidential election.
I don't see how this wouldn't go against the nepotism law.

I was listening to this on NPR - not this specific appointment but the possibility of Trump family members being appointed and it's not that clear. For example they can be appointed to a non-paying position and it doesn't technically break the law though it looks bad and breaks the spirit of the law.

I would think a paycheck would be criteria. But more importantly it's ACCESS. Like those security clearances to sit in on meetings, WH badges, powers to talk to 3rd parties in negotiation for the pleasure of the WH.

When you have a WH title -- it probably already violates the actual law and not just the "spirit" :D

No, it's not inconsequential.

Trump has hotels in Turkey. What's his position going to be on holding Turkey to the fire on their economic problems?

Trump has assets in Russia. We already see Trump ignoring (and even encouraging) hacking our election process, including their fake news offensive. What would Russia have to do to us to cause Trump to NOT forgive them instantly, without even an investigation (which he objected to in this case)?

Also, every American business that intersects with Trump's empire has to be aware that the leaders of that enterprise are fully inside on every issue, every prospective rule making, every economic change going on in America - stuff no other businessman gets to know. Plus, if they beat out Trump, you can see what Trump can do to their stock prices. Is that "free market capitalism"?

And, why are we letting people without security clearance see EVERY INTEL ASSET WE HAVE? Is that something you would be happy seeing the next Democratic president's kids and friends having?

There are reasons for separating the president's family and private interests from the job of being the leader of the free world.

No, you will find there is no defense for a lot of this but they will call you doody head and react emotionally at any questions directed toward Putin's Pick.

Emotional

You giving TN a hard time because he's keeping an eye on El Cheeto Gigante? What kind of cheesy political ploy is that? There's a LOT of right thinking "not Dem fanatics" who are cringing at the stuff the Meglomaniac is doing.

I would THINK we'd all get together at SOME point and watch this guy TOGETHER.. Am I dreaming here? Or are you so set in the partisan divide you can't help yourself? :p

No I was agreeing with TN who told me to shut the fuck up and called me a partisan hack for agreeing with him/her. I agree that at some point we're in this together but as you can see they dont like opinions based on who they come from rather than the information they are discussing.

Now TN is getting a taste of his/her own medicine and realizes that there is no sense to be made from someone who only accuses people of being a hater unless they agree on everything Trump says.

Emotional

No I was agreeing with TN who told me to shut the fuck up and called me a partisan hack for agreeing with him/her. I agree that at some point we're in this together but as you can see they dont like opinions based on who they come from rather than the information they are discussing.

Now TN is getting a taste of his/her own medicine and realizes that there is no sense to be made from someone who only accuses people of being a hater unless they agree on everything Trump says.

Definitely time for a beer summit right !!! :banana: Because A LOT of folks are nervous and unhappy over this different form of Crony Capitalism and a willingness to MICROmeddle in the markets and bully his way to achieve media attention. I don't mind him being comfortable with HIS choices of people to surround him. But I'm NOT gonna cut him slack to make this an Imperial Presidency..

Can we work together on this?? :rofl: Stop picking on nice folk from Tenn.. We're NOT lemmings down here.

Emotional

Well yea it sounds bad when you say it like that!

No, it's not inconsequential.

Trump has hotels in Turkey. What's his position going to be on holding Turkey to the fire on their economic problems?

Trump has assets in Russia. We already see Trump ignoring (and even encouraging) hacking our election process, including their fake news offensive. What would Russia have to do to us to cause Trump to NOT forgive them instantly, without even an investigation (which he objected to in this case)?

Also, every American business that intersects with Trump's empire has to be aware that the leaders of that enterprise are fully inside on every issue, every prospective rule making, every economic change going on in America - stuff no other businessman gets to know. Plus, if they beat out Trump, you can see what Trump can do to their stock prices. Is that "free market capitalism"?

And, why are we letting people without security clearance see EVERY INTEL ASSET WE HAVE? Is that something you would be happy seeing the next Democratic president's kids and friends having?

There are reasons for separating the president's family and private interests from the job of being the leader of the free world.

Really? Come on? Does this really bother y'all? If it does, you need to get a life. :laugh:

Actually, you have to be careful since First Ladies started assuming roles in the affairs of their husbands' Admins. Maybe they weren't paid either. But they got the perks and access and some of the most important roles in Admins. (does Hillary's health care plan ring any notes for you? )

Or the different kinds of nepotism, like Princess Di Fi out in Cali -- who's husband has made a FORTUNE on trade deals and sanctions that she's negotiated. Or the Doles who (IIRC) served in the same Admin/Congress as partisan representatives.

Forum List

Back