🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trumps newest appointment seems to break nepotism law

Jared Kushner to be named Trump senior adviser: media
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump will appoint his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to the position of senior adviser to the president, media outlets reported on Monday, a potentially thorny choice in the face of anti-nepotism law.
The appointment of Kushner, first reported by NBC, had been anticipated but it had been unclear what his official role would be. The New York Times and ABC also reported the upcoming appointment. The Times reported that his title could be adjusted.
Like Trump, Kushner is a New York-based real estate developer with a wide net of business dealings that could pose potential conflicts of interest.
Kushner, who married Trump's eldest daughter, Ivanka, in 2009, helped guide Republican Trump to victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton in the Nov. 8 presidential election.
I don't see how this wouldn't go against the nepotism law.
Cause it's not a cabinet spot. It's a White House job

I don't pretend to understand government gobbledygook, but doesn't your link say that Trump is not supposed to hire his son-in-law?
There's a loop hole in there somewhere, I guess, because I know Trump's got lawyers tidying things up for him.
I think the only thing that could avoid this law is the actual position. Im not sure if its actually considered "cabinet."
It isn't

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump will appoint his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to the position of senior adviser to the president, media outlets reported on Monday, a potentially thorny choice in the face of anti-nepotism law.
The appointment of Kushner, first reported by NBC, had been anticipated but it had been unclear what his official role would be. The New York Times and ABC also reported the upcoming appointment. The Times reported that his title could be adjusted.
Like Trump, Kushner is a New York-based real estate developer with a wide net of business dealings that could pose potential conflicts of interest.
Kushner, who married Trump's eldest daughter, Ivanka, in 2009, helped guide Republican Trump to victory over Democrat Hillary Clinton in the Nov. 8 presidential election.

I was listening to this on NPR - not this specific appointment but the possibility of Trump family members being appointed and it's not that clear. For example they can be appointed to a non-paying position and it doesn't technically break the law though it looks bad and breaks the spirit of the law.

I would think a paycheck would be criteria. But more importantly it's ACCESS. Like those security clearances to sit in on meetings, WH badges, powers to talk to 3rd parties in negotiation for the pleasure of the WH.

When you have a WH title -- it probably already violates the actual law and not just the "spirit" :D

Yup...exactly...and consider the potential conflicts of interest there...

So if it doesn't TECHNICALLY violate the law...are you guys really comfortable with the appointment? Consider for example, Trump family members, working in paid or unpaid "advisory" positions, still holding their business assets - sitting in on meetings with international representatives where they might have business relationships.

So if it doesn't TECHNICALLY violate the law...are you guys really comfortable with the appointment? Consider for example, Trump family members, working in paid or unpaid "advisory" positions, still holding their business assets - sitting in on meetings with international representatives where they might have business relationships.
Not me. I don't like it at all. Unless he breaks apart from everything.

It's true that the historic perspective of the left doesn't go back much further than last week's NY Times Sunday edition but don't they remember JFK's appointment of his own brother to cover his ass as A.G.?

It's true that the historic perspective of the left doesn't go back much further than last week's NY Times Sunday edition but don't they remember JFK's appointment of his own brother to cover his ass as A.G.?

EXACTLY. And it was THAT which was the reason for creating the nepotism law.

No...the left HASN'T forgotten and for some bizarre reason I can't fathom you seem to think this makes it ok and that we "approve".

The keys words are: "paid by the Treasury"....the Donald is probably paying him out of personal funds...I'm sure his legal team knows how to handle this.
Absolutely true.

Plus, he's going to be massively paid off simply by the insider information he will have and the influence he will exert.

Salary just isn't the issue - it's the law, and the law is on his side.

And, they clearly don't give a CRAP about the intent of the law or the way this looks.

We used to be concerned about Trump's tax returns not being made public.

Now, we don't have that, we have Trump continuing as the leader of his business empire that stretches to numerous nations with which we have serious concerns, AND we now have Kushner and HIS business involved in our nation's business!!!

This is ALL what was intended by our founders NOT to happen. It's just that the emoluments and nepotism laws assumed we would have presidents who gave a crap.

EXACTLY. And it was THAT which was the reason for creating the nepotism law.

No...the left HASN'T forgotten and for some bizarre reason I can't fathom you seem to think this makes it ok and that we "approve".
But Clinton used his Hitlery can you say hypocrite?

The keys words are: "paid by the Treasury"....the Donald is probably paying him out of personal funds...I'm sure his legal team knows how to handle this.
Absolutely true.

Plus, he's going to be massively paid off simply by the insider information he will have and the influence he will exert.

Salary just isn't the issue - it's the law, and the law is on his side.

And, they clearly don't give a CRAP about the intent of the law or the way this looks.

We used to be concerned about Trump's tax returns not being made public.

Now, we don't have that, we have Trump continuing as the leader of his business empire that stretches to numerous nations with which we have serious concerns, AND we now have Kushner and HIS business involved in our nation's business!!!

This is ALL what was intended by our founders NOT to happen. It's just that the emoluments and nepotism laws assumed we would have presidents who gave a crap.
What law?

Two Words...

Robert Kennedy

A lot of these rules have exceptions to them.

Someday Lefty will get tired of jamming broken coke bottles up his ass.

Perhaps after 8 years of Donald Trump he'll finally bleed out.
Robert happened before it became law

It will most likely be allowed. No sense in Lefty getting his blood soaked panties in a bind over it.
My advice is that Lefty go stock up on tampons.
Im not a lefty and I don't want family members in crucial roles like that. The only question is if "Senior advisor" means anything.

Well that's just too damn bad.. You don't have a fucking say.. End of thread.

Maybe you should read your own link, it says it wouldn't violate the law because it's an unpaid position. But hey, feel free to point out where the law says a family member can't perform volunteer services.

Two Words...

Robert Kennedy

It will most likely be allowed. No sense in Lefty getting his blood soaked panties in a bind over it.
Im not a lefty and I don't want family members in crucial roles like that. The only question is if "Senior advisor" means anything.

Well hello to you too. And yes, you make a good point. That also applies to 100% of political opinions on here. Bravo.

Two Words...

Robert Kennedy

Well hello to you too. And yes, you make a good point. That also applies to 100% of political opinions on here. Bravo.
Well deserved and hello.. You've changed a helluva lot.

If it's out in the open is this really nepotism? That always made me think of the guy in the office having his wife as the secretary, his son as driver, and his cousin as the town gardener, and all of it being done around applicable civil service laws.

If he got his son in law a job at say EPA as a civil servant, over people more qualified and on the list, I think there would be an actual case for nepotism.

Forum List

Back