USMB Coffee Shop IV

I am up early because today I am 65 years old and I want a new blouse. So, I am going to treat myself to one. No thrift store either. A brand new one, never worn by someone else!!

Fire is contained, air is not as bad as yesterday and I am sick of being stuck in the house!

Happy belated birthday - did you get the blouse?

Mr sg spent the majority of his adult life with the USFS fighting wild land fires all over the country. It's incredible how fast they can move...and how quickly they can jump a line. He's been on fires where people have lost their lives before, but never like this. Stay safe.

So, after eating fresh fruits (peaches, plums, apples, pears) from the farm, I am now spoiled and cannot eat fruit from the grocery store. It is really disgusting in comparison. Even my rabbit prefers fresh farm grown fruit and veggies! :)

Amazing difference isn't it? We just returned from a visit to N.Va and brought back some fresh apples, tomatoes too. Had some of those warm apple cider donuts. It's been a long time since I've picked an apple from a tree. And the tomatoes, wow - I just can't grow them around here with that flavor.

I'd be very happy to trade oranges for fresh picked apples anytime - but not the avocados and mangoes, no, no, those I'll keep. :)

happy belated Birthday Gracie sorry I dropped the ball on this one, I blame it on my cold. I hope you had a nice day yesterday.

gracie.jpg

I am up early because today I am 65 years old and I want a new blouse. So, I am going to treat myself to one. No thrift store either. A brand new one, never worn by someone else!!

Fire is contained, air is not as bad as yesterday and I am sick of being stuck in the house!

Happy belated birthday - did you get the blouse?

Mr sg spent the majority of his adult life with the USFS fighting wild land fires all over the country. It's incredible how fast they can move...and how quickly they can jump a line. He's been on fires where people have lost their lives before, but never like this. Stay safe.
Nope. No blouse. But I did find 3 at the thrift store I liked. I refuse to pay 69 bucks for a frigging new blouse and Kmart had polyester crap.
Fire is contained now, cell is up and running, businesses are open, sky is nice blue again. Up here, anyway. :)

Hedge Apples over in the Hoosier... While there may be close to 350 to 400 miles between our stomping grounds our bringing's up are very similar... Hedge apples are not very useful unless you are warring with the neighbor kids... Oh you can sell them on EBay also... You can sell anything on EBay... Hell I sold a Railroad spike on EBay one time and didn't even have one... Had to go for a walk on the ole PRR tracks to find one...

View attachment 153674

I have heard the story regarding spiders but never tried it
Ya gotta love someone who can sell a railroad spike then go forage for it!

The wood of the Osage orange is a beautiful lemon rind yellow. I know some local woodworkers who prize Osage orange to make little boxes from. Glued up next to strips of black walnut, the effect is something like a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform.
Luthiers (lute makers) use it for fret boards. Very hard and durable wood

Wait, a lute has a fret board?
Ummmmm Luthiers don't get a lot of lute orders these days, so a lot of them make GUITARS!!!!!

I was thinking of harps, just a brain fart on my part. :p
What are you going to do when you get old?

Stopping by to say hi as well. Been way to busy lately. :)

Always happy when you do WQ. Busy is good unless it is busy you don't want to do. :)
Hey, Foxy, how's the auto accident coming along? Did you get your car back yet?

Nope. They've had to order parts and it will be probably at least two more weeks. :(
That rather sucks. And your car will never be the same again. I just hope they get it repaired and back into safe shape for you guys. Is the insurance going to cover the expenses?

Is there a medicine that makes coughs actually stop?

th

When I was a kid this was the go to cough syrup around our house. Was OTC back when fluff was a kitten but have to have a script now. Suppresses the cough and breaks up the gottagotta inside the chest... Remember I am not a Doctor... more of a shadetree pharmacist...

Oh, I remember that awful stuff!

Hey SeaGal, so happy you found the Coffee Shop!!! Hope you feel comfortable and settle in here whenever you need a break from the sometimes not-so-sweet-side of the board. From your posts can we assume you are in California? Or Florida? Your name looked familiar but you weren't on our roster so as a newcomer you are entitled to a first timer's complimentary beverage:

5815736447_4e72430e34_z.jpg

Got some cough syrup hope this shit works.
I've always found honey with lemon juice and a touch of cloves works well to suppress a cough.

Or honey, preferably raw honey, with a splash of apple cider vinegar and lemon in very hot water sipped. Also soothes a raw throat and helps with chest congestion.

Stopping by to say hi as well. Been way to busy lately. :)

Always happy when you do WQ. Busy is good unless it is busy you don't want to do. :)
Hey, Foxy, how's the auto accident coming along? Did you get your car back yet?

Nope. They've had to order parts and it will be probably at least two more weeks. :(
That rather sucks. And your car will never be the same again. I just hope they get it repaired and back into safe shape for you guys. Is the insurance going to cover the expenses?

It will cover all but the deductible and will cover that if they can collect from the other insurance company. She was clearly at fault but has a fly-by-night insurance company so who knows?

My youngest brother was born in Mass, we lived in Buzzards Bay 1961-63 when my dad was stationed at what was once Otis AFB (now Otis Air National Guard Base). I even found the houses we lived in just now on Google maps, first on was on Bayberry the second was on Blueberry almost next to Queen Sewell Pond.

Mr sg lived at Otis during part of that time frame. Dad was transferred to Japan in summer of '62.
We went to the Philippines (Clark AFB) after Mass.

Power just came back on, was sitting here at around 3:30 this afternoon when the everything stopped working and a microsecond later heard a very loud bang from outside. I was the first to call in and they thought it was just my house and wanted me to check the breaker panel....... Told them I knew quite well the sound of a transformer blowing out, checked the panel just to shut em up and get someone in route.
In the 8 years we owned our house in Reston we probably had the power go out maybe 3 or 4 times, the power has gone out here 4 times since we moved in at the end of May...........

Power just came back on, was sitting here at around 3:30 this afternoon when the everything stopped working and a microsecond later heard a very loud bang from outside. I was the first to call in and they thought it was just my house and wanted me to check the breaker panel....... Told them I knew quite well the sound of a transformer blowing out, checked the panel just to shut em up and get someone in route.
In the 8 years we owned our house in Reston we probably had the power go out maybe 3 or 4 times, the power has gone out here 4 times since we moved in at the end of May...........

That's really weird because we live so close and aren't having the power outages that you are having. Maybe that faulty transformer was the culprit and it will be better now?

Special thoughts and prayers for those dealing with the terrible fires tonight and sending some healing vibes for drifter's and gallantwarrior's colds.

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
007's brother-in-law for a full recovery,
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Comfort to Mrs. Saveliberty & family in the loss of her brother,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in New Mexico
15032243_10206061588698618_8062939137506923097_n.jpg

Hey SeaGal, so happy you found the Coffee Shop!!! Hope you feel comfortable and settle in here whenever you need a break from the sometimes not-so-sweet-side of the board. From your posts can we assume you are in California? Or Florida? Your name looked familiar but you weren't on our roster so as a newcomer you are entitled to a first timer's complimentary beverage:

5815736447_4e72430e34_z.jpg

Thank you! Fourth generation Floridian. Is that Sangria?...let's make a pitcher of it to share!

RU237105.jpg.rendition.largest.jpg

ps - I don't use strawberries, mango or mint - but they sound like yummy additions. Somebody bring the glasses?

I thought only America had hurricanes, but apparently one is on its way to England. They think we will get the tail end of it next week.

I thought only America had hurricanes, but apparently one is on its way to England. They think we will get the tail end of it next week.

I had never heard of that either, but hey. At least we share!

I hadn't even heard about a Hurricane Joaquin. Jose is still churning out there off our northeast cast and I thought there would only be one "J" storm in a year.

Last edited:
Special thoughts and prayers for those dealing with the terrible fires tonight and sending some healing vibes for drifter's and gallantwarrior's colds.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in New Mexico

Foxie, Freedombecki2 posted 3 weeks ago on 9/17 in Politics.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,

Autumn in New Mexico

Foxie, Freedombecki2 posted 3 weeks ago on 9/17 in Politics.

Yes she posted in the Coffee Shop not all that long ago, but she is using a library computer and isn't really back with us on any kind of consistent basis. And so we keep her on the list until she is again active.

Forum List

Back