USMB Coffee Shop IV

Power just came back on, was sitting here at around 3:30 this afternoon when the everything stopped working and a microsecond later heard a very loud bang from outside. I was the first to call in and they thought it was just my house and wanted me to check the breaker panel....... Told them I knew quite well the sound of a transformer blowing out, checked the panel just to shut em up and get someone in route.
In the 8 years we owned our house in Reston we probably had the power go out maybe 3 or 4 times, the power has gone out here 4 times since we moved in at the end of May...........

That's really weird because we live so close and aren't having the power outages that you are having. Maybe that faulty transformer was the culprit and it will be better now?
Only our side of the street was down, everyone else had power.

Hey SeaGal, so happy you found the Coffee Shop!!! Hope you feel comfortable and settle in here whenever you need a break from the sometimes not-so-sweet-side of the board. From your posts can we assume you are in California? Or Florida? Your name looked familiar but you weren't on our roster so as a newcomer you are entitled to a first timer's complimentary beverage:

5815736447_4e72430e34_z.jpg

Thank you! Fourth generation Floridian. Is that Sangria?...let's make a pitcher of it to share!

RU237105.jpg.rendition.largest.jpg

ps - I don't use strawberries, mango or mint - but they sound like yummy additions. Somebody bring the glasses?

Those kinds of concoction can get pretty exotic. :) Nice to have another Floridian. Sherry and Welfare Queen are located north of Tampa a bit, and I think we may have a few others though I can't recall at the moment.

Hey SeaGal, so happy you found the Coffee Shop!!! Hope you feel comfortable and settle in here whenever you need a break from the sometimes not-so-sweet-side of the board. From your posts can we assume you are in California? Or Florida? Your name looked familiar but you weren't on our roster so as a newcomer you are entitled to a first timer's complimentary beverage:

5815736447_4e72430e34_z.jpg

Thank you! Fourth generation Floridian. Is that Sangria?...let's make a pitcher of it to share!

RU237105.jpg.rendition.largest.jpg

ps - I don't use strawberries, mango or mint - but they sound like yummy additions. Somebody bring the glasses?

Those kinds of concoction can get pretty exotic. :) Nice to have another Floridian. Sherry and Welfare Queen are located north of Tampa a bit, and I think we may have a few others though I can't recall at the moment.
I lived in Green Cove Springs for a year back in 1969. It's funny looking at the map of the area now and seeing how much it's grown especially north towards Jacksonville.

Last edited:
The wildfires are terrible, but you can find beauty in them, as well.....

22552779_1594509150608749_2975989293417657580_n.jpg
Kinda looks photoshopped. :dunno:

Turns out there's a video. :)

Watch as fire burns inside hollow tree - CNN Video
Had to find it on YouTube, CNN wanted me to accept their ads first..........

You must have a stricter ad-block going than I do. ;)
Just AdBlocker Plus. This anti-adblocker move many sites are adopting is relatively new, CNN may have just put it up. :dunno:

I have noticed that a lot of sites now try to get me to tun my Ad Blocker off......even sites where I pay bills. No way will I ever do that.

It's Friday the 13th and I suppose someone has to have something to say about that. I've never suffered under superstition, knock wood. I have broken mirrors and black cats and the undersides of ladders in my wake. But my baby brother has a reason to be funshy on Friday the 13th. Back in 1968 he was blissfully playing on the side porch at the Big House.

Mom and Pop had a glider, a steel Davenport made as outdoor furniture. Sitting on the glider, one could 'glide' forward and back in a mock rocking motion. Anyway, the damn thing weighed in at a good 90 pounds. My brother and his buddy Keith Wnes were busy running around the glider and ignoring the fact that the side porch had no railing. The front of the side porch was no higher than three feet from grade. But, given our topography, that three feet at the front dropped to six feet off the back. And the back is where the glider was.

One too many trips around the glider for the two boys when one of them grabbed the glider, stumbled off the porch and took everything with hm. Down they fell, Keith, my brother and the steel glider. Then the damage assessment.

Keith ran in circles wailing and weeping and bleeding from the nose. The glider was a scratched but unbroken. My brother stood up with a look of incredulity on his face as he looked at his left wrist which was bent in an unfamiliar way. The back of his hand laid flat on his lower arm. His wrist was broken on Friday September 13th.

Two weeks later his class photos were taken and my brother made sure to raise his cast enough to get into the picture. Two weeks later and Pop had installed a wrought iron railing around e side porch.

So my brother steps lightly on Friday the 13 even fifty years later. As for me, I'm looking for a mirror to break.

I was born on the 13th. Not a Friday though. I do have birthdays that fall on Fri 13th. Boo.

I was born on the 13th. Not a Friday though. I do have birthdays that fall on Fri 13th. Boo.

Well I went to a scary eye doctor today and also braved the MVD to get my 'REAL' driver's license which is by no means an easy feat in New Mexico these days. All on Friday the 13th. Did it all go well? No. :) But I did get it done and I have a driver's license that will let me onto a commercial airplane so it wasn't all bad either.

I have noticed that a lot of sites now try to get me to tun my Ad Blocker off......even sites where I pay bills. No way will I ever do that.

I do disable mine on some sites that request it but they are all free sites and they work pretty well despite the ads. I'm think of sites like Forbes or the Drudge Report. It stays on for most of my surfing though and I have to want to be able to access information pretty badly to disable it.

The wildfires are terrible, but you can find beauty in them, as well.....

22552779_1594509150608749_2975989293417657580_n.jpg
Kinda looks photoshopped. :dunno:

Turns out there's a video. :)

Watch as fire burns inside hollow tree - CNN Video
Had to find it on YouTube, CNN wanted me to accept their ads first..........

You must have a stricter ad-block going than I do. ;)
Just AdBlocker Plus. This anti-adblocker move many sites are adopting is relatively new, CNN may have just put it up. :dunno:

I have AdBlocker Plus too but it didn't ask me to disable it. Or maybe I already did at CNN? Who knows.

Forum List

Back