Were Negroes Better Off As Slaves?

He wasn't being racist he was asking an obvious question. Context matters. No one has even bothered to address what he actually asked.

“That’s exactly what I said. I said I’m wondering if they’re better off under government subsidy, and their young women are having the abortions and their young men are in jail, and their older women and their children are standing, sitting out on the cement porch without nothing to do, you know, I’m wondering: Are they happier now under this government subsidy system than they were when they were slaves, and they was able to have their family structure together, and the chickens and garden, and the people had something to do? And so, in my mind I’m wondering, are they better off being slaves, in that sense*, or better off being slaves to the United States government, in the sense of the subsidies**. I’m wondering. That’s what. And the statement was right. I am wondering.”

*"in that sense" meaning: when they were able to have a family structure, when they were together, when they worked hard, NOT being a slave

**"in the sense of the subsidies" meaning: not having to work because they are taken care of by the gov't, not having their families intact, abortion, jail

the-statement-was-right/]BREAKING: Cliven Bundy Responds To Charges Of Racism: ?The Statement Was Right? » The Right Scoop -[/url]

He wasn't being racist he was asking an obvious question. Context matters. No one has even bothered to address what he actually asked.

for a racist what the hell was he doing offering passionate praise of Hispanic illegal immigrants

saying they have better family structures than most white people

“That’s exactly what I said. I said I’m wondering if they’re better off under government subsidy, and their young women are having the abortions and their young men are in jail, and their older women and their children are standing, sitting out on the cement porch without nothing to do, you know, I’m wondering: Are they happier now under this government subsidy system than they were when they were slaves, and they was able to have their family structure together, and the chickens and garden, and the people had something to do? And so, in my mind I’m wondering, are they better off being slaves, in that sense*, or better off being slaves to the United States government, in the sense of the subsidies**. I’m wondering. That’s what. And the statement was right. I am wondering.”

*"in that sense" meaning: when they were able to have a family structure, when they were together, when they worked hard, NOT being a slave

**"in the sense of the subsidies" meaning: not having to work because they are taken care of by the gov't, not having their families intact, abortion, jail

the-statement-was-right/]BREAKING: Cliven Bundy Responds To Charges Of Racism: ?The Statement Was Right? » The Right Scoop -[/url]

Stop it.

Seriously.

Bundy tried to explain his shit too.

And got it completely wrong.

Rosa Parks was fighting FOR the Federal Government and AGAINST State's Rights.

Same with Martin Luther King Jr.

The Federal Government enforces the Constitution.

Which, has the bill of rights.

It PREVENTS the States from creating arbitrary and capricious laws that disenfranchises the minority.

I didn't like the standoff or any side with guns... that was unnecessary and poorly handled. That being said, this guy is no hero in any way. His cattle were not on his property. Therefore, he was breaking the law. He owes taxes... so go pay them. Finally, please don't interview him any more because the more he talks the worse he sounds. Nothing about slavery was good. Slavery means that you are too lazy to do the work yourself so you use threatening methods to have others do your work for you while you mistreat them. Nobody will ever be able to justify slavery. It was truly a very dark era in American history. It should be taught as such.

^equates real slavery with imagined slavery.

but that is not his only major problem.
Look around YOU...Look at the economy...and WHO is in charge and has been. LOOK at how BLACKS are more adversely affected by it...The DEMOCRATS...The 'GREAT SOCIETY' has come to fruition after TRILLIONS spent to combat poverty. Johnson KNEW what he was doing when he stated "I'll have these ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years..."

STFU:eusa_hand:

Thomas Sowell, a great black man, highly educated, and from a very poor background knew that. Politics as usual:

"No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems — of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind."

And seriously.

What are you folks doing to stop that?

Citizen's United?

Really?

:lol:

ridiculous.

Yes, the left's reaction and taking out of context of what he actually said/asked certainly is ridiculous.

End this discussion. It is insulting to basic human intelligence.

You should know, you are about as basic as human intelligence gets. However, you have a point.

This discussion is talking around the issue in some weird attempt to score racial points against the other side. Lately, most discussions on this forum have followed the same format. Not an intelligent debate, but a game of political one-ups-manship.

Although not too well stated, by a marginally educated rancher, the point that I believe he was trying to make is that Blacks, who have accepted life on the government reservation, are not doing well. Are they doing worse than they did in slavery? Not in any way, shape or form. Bundy is mistaken in that regard, but does that make him a racist? And, if it does make him a racist, does that negate the idea that he has a valid complaint against the BLM?

The next question that needs answers, is whether, or not, the government welfare policies that have helped create this crisis in a portion of the Black community, patently racist?

Yes, these policies are racist, although the people who championed them and enacted them did not intend racism, and would be horrified to think of themselves as racist. These polices are de facto, soft core racism. The firm belief that Blacks need help from Whites to be able to make it in this world. Such a conscious belief stems from an unconscious, belief that Blacks are not quite capable of competing with Whites on an equal basis.

Now, if you want to debate the issue, debate the issue, and not the people who raise the issue.

for a racist what the hell was he doing offering passionate praise of Hispanic illegal immigrants

That's fine...but WHY must the RACE of an individual or group even BE a topic? That's right my friend, it shouldn't. WE have to rise above this race crap as a nation, or WE are TOAST.

ridiculous.

Yes, the left's reaction and taking out of context of what he actually said/asked certainly is ridiculous.

What he actually said was that Black Americans are better off being slaves and picking cotton then being on public assistance.

That is a profoundly despicable and disgusting viewpoint.

And should be roundly condemned by everyone who heard it.

That's fine...but WHY must the RACE of an individual or group even BE a topic? That's right my friend, it shouldn't. WE have to rise above this race crap as a nation, or WE are TOAST.

Well I'll be.

For once..I agree with you.

Stop it.

Seriously.

It PREVENTS the States from creating arbitrary and capricious laws that disenfranchises the minority.

Have a stab at answering what he was actually asking instead of what you think he asked/said.

ridiculous.

What he actually said was that Black Americans are better off being slaves and picking cotton then being on public assistance.

Uh, no he didn't. Go back and read what he said. In context. What HE said not what you think he said.

Absolutely agree.

Why did he go on about blacks and hispanics anyways? Was he asked specifically about this by someone?

Stop it.

Seriously.

Have a stab at answering what he was actually asking instead of what you think he asked/said.

I think I have.

Being on public assistance is not slavery.

And getting a hand up when you are in trouble is no crime.

Uh, no he didn't. Go back and read what he said. In context. What HE said not what you think he said.

Well yeah..he did.

He also used the old "Porch Monkey" meme.

If I wrote a script trying to make him look bad, I couldn't have done a better job.

Slavery was a rough way to start life in America, but after 200 years would you rather be a brain surgeon or a bone in your nose Pygmy chasing Jungle Bunnies in the Congo?

[MENTION=41661]deltex1[/MENTION]

If if was up to you clivens, there would be no black brain surgeons. They would still be cotton picking slaves.

ridiculous.

clotis was not taken out of context. it is clear what he said. there is no wiggle room.

End this discussion. It is insulting to basic human intelligence.

You should know, you are about as basic as human intelligence gets. However, you have a point.

This discussion is talking around the issue in some weird attempt to score racial points against the other side. Lately, most discussions on this forum have followed the same format. Not an intelligent debate, but a game of political one-ups-manship.

Although not too well stated, by a marginally educated rancher, the point that I believe he was trying to make is that Blacks, who have accepted life on the government reservation, are not doing well. Are they doing worse than they did in slavery? Not in any way, shape or form. Bundy is mistaken in that regard, but does that make him a racist? And, if it does make him a racist, does that negate the idea that he has a valid complaint against the BLM?

The next question that needs answers, is whether, or not, the government welfare policies that have helped create this crisis in a portion of the Black community, patently racist?

Yes, these policies are racist, although the people who championed them and enacted them did not intend racism, and would be horrified to think of themselves as racist. These polices are de facto, soft core racism. The firm belief that Blacks need help from Whites to be able to make it in this world. Such a conscious belief stems from an unconscious, belief that Blacks are not quite capable of competing with Whites on an equal basis.

Now, if you want to debate the issue, debate the issue, and not the people who raise the issue.

To start a real debate, let me state that I am a live and let live, type of person who firmly believes that skin color is skin deep, and in all other regards, humans are the same. Some are stronger, some are better looking, some are talented, and some are assholes of the worst sort.

I also recognize that racism does exist in our society, and that it comes in all colors, and many different forms. I believe that pushing this racism underground through politically correct speech, and attempted thought control, is detrimental in ridding our society of both hard core and soft core racism.

The first thing that needs to be done to overcome racism, is for government to cease classifying citizens according to race and/or ethnical background. No legitimate government function requires such classification.

Stop it.

Seriously.

I think I have.

Being on public assistance is not slavery.

And getting a hand up when you are in trouble is no crime.

No, you're answering what you want to answer not the question he asked.

While his wording could certainly use improvement, he's isn't saying that being a slave is better than being free. Not at all. He's saying that having family structure, being together, working hard, being proud was/is better than being dependent on gov't for food/housing, not working for what you have but being handed it, abortion, having young men in jail. Being offered a hand up when you need it is fine; generational welfare/dependency on government (using welfare as a leg to stand on) isn't. You don't agree with any of this?

This is the original transcript (part of it, the whole thing is at the link). He isn't saying what you (and others) are stating.

"and so what I’ve testified to ya’, I was in the WATTS riot, I seen the beginning fire and I seen the last fire. What I seen is civil disturbance. People are not happy, people is thinking they did not have their freedom; they didn’t have these things, and they didn’t have them.

We’ve progressed quite a bit from that day until now, and sure don’t want to go back; we sure don’t want the colored people to go back to that point; we sure don’t want the Mexican people to go back to that point; and we can make a difference right now by taking care of some of these bureaucracies, and do it in a peaceful way."

Bundy Ranch FULL interview. Uncut/Unedited | Jasonpatrick11 | Bambuser

Forum List

Back