What Happened to Church?

So it's not ok for me to ask questions precisely because I haven't gone to church since I was about 7 years old?

Well for my part--I know this wasn't directed at me--it's okay to ask questions even if you don't go to church. Sometimes that's the best way. Some people from our church meet in local gathering places around town, even PUBS (gasp!) to meet up with people to hang out and answer questions they have. All hard questions allowed.

I remember one time at our church, this one couple got up to say they love to go out on the weekend and play pool with friends, and sometimes they talk about hard stuff and God then. Husband has longer hair and a ponytail. These new visitors got up and walked out right then. I kinda thought, well bye then. That wasn't very nice I guess....but they would have been kinda judgey for my church.

FWIW we are not one of these non-denominational fog machine churches either. At all. Very Biblical. We just realize that we are like the people in the Bible. Screw ups. Church is for screw ups. Like us. I'm not just saying that.
So how did Noah get kangaroos from Australia and back again?

:offtopic:
Just a quick aside. She said she is "Very Biblical". I had to test her. Won't take long. :biggrin:

Know one thing. You are not my "tester" in anything. However, the ego revealed in the green smile is predictable.
So why isn't there any evidence about a 40 day worldwide flood?

You have no idea what's going on in the church today, yet you think you feel qualified to post on this thread. Interesting.
So it's not ok for me to ask questions precisely because I haven't gone to church since I was about 7 years old?

Well for my part--I know this wasn't directed at me--it's okay to ask questions even if you don't go to church. Sometimes that's the best way. Some people from our church meet in local gathering places around town, even PUBS (gasp!) to meet up with people to hang out and answer questions they have. All hard questions allowed.

I remember one time at our church, this one couple got up to say they love to go out on the weekend and play pool with friends, and sometimes they talk about hard stuff and God then. Husband has longer hair and a ponytail. These new visitors got up and walked out right then. I kinda thought, well bye then. That wasn't very nice I guess....but they would have been kinda judgey for my church.

FWIW we are not one of these non-denominational fog machine churches either. At all. Very Biblical. We just realize that we are like the people in the Bible. Screw ups. Church is for screw ups. Like us. I'm not just saying that.

I don't know. If He is God, He could certainly do it.

I'm not very concerned about kangaroos. I'm more concerned about church and faith and God. Do you have questions like that, or just silly gotcha questions?
I'm trying to figure out if the bible is true.
Let me end your suspense. It is. But you have to read it in context to discover the wisdom. Because if you read it like a jack-a-nape looking to confirm her bias, then you will be wasting your time because you could have just said you don't need to validate your beliefs and spent the time doing something more productive like trimming your toe nails.

Just a quick aside. She said she is "Very Biblical". I had to test her. Won't take long. :biggrin:

Know one thing. You are not my "tester" in anything. However, the ego revealed in the green smile is predictable.
You are doing it again, Taz. Don't you have some toe nails that need trimming?

the 4th century christian bible is a political agenda disguised as a religion patronizing 1st century events to advance its own agenda rather than the aspirations derived from that period, the christ being a primary example.

I mean, Paul went from persecution to an apostle, but then, he was really an outlier.

and has been used for that purpose from that time to the present encapsulated by congregational hegemony without cause ...

Actually if you knew me, you'd find a million examples of me being generous and kind. Calling things out as they are is just reality. Too bad for you. Now go hug a Muslim and hope he doesn't blow up. :biggrin:
I've seen your racist posts, Taz. Don't piss on me and tell me it is raining.
Being realistic isn't racist. Now you know.
I like the fact that you run away from your beliefs. That means you know what you believe is fucked up.
You need me to be like that in your mind, otherwise, you'll go completely over the edge. Hope you feel better soon.

Proof positive that most unbelievers really think they are gods. I doubt very much that, except to pray for you, most of us give you a thought when we step away from our computers, and certainly not enough to "go completely over the edge". However, YOU really, really need to think that you're chipping away at our beliefs.

You need us. You might think about exploring why that is.
Once you get to know dingbat, you'll see him for the fool he is. I came here looking for proof of god. So far nothing, just a lot of hot air, and surprisingly, a ton of insults constantly.

Actually if you knew me, you'd find a million examples of me being generous and kind. Calling things out as they are is just reality. Too bad for you. Now go hug a Muslim and hope he doesn't blow up. :biggrin:
I like the fact that you run away from your beliefs. That means you know what you believe is fucked up.
You need me to be like that in your mind, otherwise, you'll go completely over the edge. Hope you feel better soon.
Not at all. I don't give you a second thought. I've read your racist posts. If you want to rationalize you are a "realist" instead of a racist, then that proves you know what you are doing is wrong. It also proves you have a moral law inside of you that you didn't put there and can't seem to get rid of.
Everyone chooses their own morality. Some people have none.

Proof positive that most unbelievers really think they are gods. I doubt very much that, except to pray for you, most of us give you a thought when we step away from our computers, and certainly not enough to "go completely over the edge". However, YOU really, really need to think that you're chipping away at our beliefs.

Truth is, I wouldn't even be praying for Taz if God hadn't metaphorically smacked me upside the head and told me to. God has people in His service who are all about the love and compassion and reaching out to others; I am not one of those people. I can only assume that if God went to enough effort to lay a burden on MY heart, powerful enough for me to take notice of it, something is seriously up. Several somethings.

Left to my own devices, I view Taz as the human equivalent of a mild skin rash.
So why would God ask you to pray for me, why doesn't he just contact me Himself?

I don't hate religion , I just find them silly because they have no proof of god.
The proof is all around you. You just won't accept it because you are not ready to accept it. But the ultimate proof can only be found by entering into a relationship with God. Something you are unwilling to do. God is not a mystery to be solved, God is a relationship to be entered into. Only then will you discover his love for you and the power to transform yourself.
You said you don't understand god. So you don't know if you have a relationship with it or not. C'mon, man up.
That isn’t exactly what I said. Try again.
Can't even man up, princess.
I'm not sure what manning up has to do with you misstating what I wrote, Taz.

But I do find it ironic that YOU hide from YOUR racist comments and then accuse me of not manning up.
Quote me or stfu.

Truth is, I wouldn't even be praying for Taz if God hadn't metaphorically smacked me upside the head and told me to. God has people in His service who are all about the love and compassion and reaching out to others; I am not one of those people. I can only assume that if God went to enough effort to lay a burden on MY heart, powerful enough for me to take notice of it, something is seriously up. Several somethings.

Me and you both, sister, on the compassionate side that is. I assume you're a sister by the username at any rate. I'm a decision-maker type, what is the right thing to do type. It has its finer points but I have to remind myself of compassion.

Glad you found a church! It's getting more and more difficult these days
Ceci found a church but thought it was a little expensive and had a terrible band.

Me and you both, sister, on the compassionate side that is. I assume you're a sister by the username at any rate. I'm a decision-maker type, what is the right thing to do type. It has its finer points but I have to remind myself of compassion.

Heard that.

I'm usually a member of the "swift kick in the reality" brigade. I have no idea what God wants with Taz or why now, but He is the greatest multi-tasker ever, and it's already obvious one of His goals here is to expand my horizons.
God is using me to test you. Now play nice. :biggrin:

Heard that.

I'm usually a member of the "swift kick in the reality" brigade. I have no idea what God wants with Taz or why now, but He is the greatest multi-tasker ever, and it's already obvious one of His goals here is to expand my horizons.

Most all of the Internet Atheist Brigade think our faith is very light and weak. They think if they make a few snide remarks or ask a few difficult questions, they can pierce it and eventually destroy it.

For some, because this is how it happened to them, this is how they assume it must happen for everyone. At the very least, this reveals a certain paucity of imagination. It also reveals that they didn't have much faith to begin with. And we both know I don't mean faith like 'blind belief', which is how THEY think we use it. Because that's all they think faith is.
It's a MIRACLE!

I'm not very concerned about kangaroos. I'm more concerned about church and faith and God. Do you have questions like that, or just silly gotcha questions?
Let me end your suspense. It is. But you have to read it in context to discover the wisdom. Because if you read it like a jack-a-nape looking to confirm her bias, then you will be wasting your time because you could have just said you don't need to validate your beliefs and spent the time doing something more productive like trimming your toe nails.
She said she is "Very Biblical", you aren't. So stfu.

Once you get to know dingbat, you'll see him for the fool he is. I came here looking for proof of god. So far nothing, just a lot of hot air, and surprisingly, a ton of insults constantly.
Proof is all around you. You can know God's invisible attributes from what he has created. Especially inside yourself. The only thing you are proving is that there is no evidence you will accept. If you are waiting for God to do something magical for you, you are going to have a long wait. God can be proven through logic and from what he created. But the best way to prove God's existence is by entering into a relationship with God. Something you have never tried. God is not a mystery to be solved or proven, God is relationship to be entered into. Stop waiting for others to do for you what you can and should be doing for yourself, fool.

Proof is all around you. You can know God's invisible attributes from what he has created. Especially inside yourself. The only thing you are proving is that there is no evidence you will accept. If you are waiting for God to do something magical for you, you are going to have a long wait. God can be proven through logic and from what he created. But the best way to prove God's existence is by entering into a relationship with God. Something you have never tried. God is not a mystery to be solved or proven, God is relationship to be entered into. Stop waiting for others to do for you what you can and should be doing for yourself, fool.
See what I'm saying Sue? He has nothing and will repeat shit like this all the time. And I wasn't even talking to him. We've diagnosed him as someone with Down's Syndrome, with ADD enhancement. Get used to him.

Not at all. I don't give you a second thought. I've read your racist posts. If you want to rationalize you are a "realist" instead of a racist, then that proves you know what you are doing is wrong. It also proves you have a moral law inside of you that you didn't put there and can't seem to get rid of.
Morality and virtue exist in and of themselves, Taz. It isn't what you say it is. You will know if you are right or wrong by your outcomes because error cannot stand. We reap what we sow regardless of whether we think something is moral. The Chinese think forced abortions are moral. They are now reaping what they have sown because forced abortions are not moral or virtuous.

I started out asking what you people give in the plate in today's church and nobody would answer. How come? I'm just curious. Something wrong with that?

Did you somehow miss the multiple times that you were told it's nosy, none of your business, off-topic, and shockingly crass and ill-mannered?

I'm fairly certain you were raised around human beings at least part of your life, so I fail to see how you could be so ignorant of basic social courtesies.
I was thinking of going to church and I just wanted to know what's appropriate these days to drop in the plate? How about a couple of pork chops?

Pork chops are off topic? Really?
Let me clear up your confusion, Taz. Dropping pork chops in the collection plate would not be appropriate. Bringing frozen pork chops for a food drive would be appropriate. Or better yet, personally delivering pork chops to a family in need would be even better as this would be the most effective form of subsidiarity and charity. You're welcome.

Kinda like coaching Mowgli after he comes in from the jungle, isn't it?

Morality and virtue exist in and of themselves, Taz. It isn't what you say it is. You will know if you are right or wrong by your outcomes because error cannot stand. We reap what we sow regardless of whether we think something is moral. The Chinese think forced abortions are moral. They are now reaping what they have sown because forced abortions are not moral or virtuous.
What are the Chinese reaping?

She said she is "Very Biblical", you aren't. So stfu.
Don't be silly. I'm Catholic. We love Scripture. :smile:

Did you somehow miss the multiple times that you were told it's nosy, none of your business, off-topic, and shockingly crass and ill-mannered?

I'm fairly certain you were raised around human beings at least part of your life, so I fail to see how you could be so ignorant of basic social courtesies.
I was thinking of going to church and I just wanted to know what's appropriate these days to drop in the plate? How about a couple of pork chops?

Pork chops are off topic? Really?
Let me clear up your confusion, Taz. Dropping pork chops in the collection plate would not be appropriate. Bringing frozen pork chops for a food drive would be appropriate. Or better yet, personally delivering pork chops to a family in need would be even better as this would be the most effective form of subsidiarity and charity. You're welcome.

Kinda like coaching Mowgli after he comes in from the jungle, isn't it?

Could be because you're in the wrong thread for finding evidence of a flood. Possibly if you looked in a thread that's actually ABOUT Noah's flood . . .

Forum List

Back