What Is "Fair Share of Taxes"?

According to the RWnuts, fair share means corporations should pay no income taxes,

but the person making minimum wage should have some 'skin in the game'.

So what if corps pay no income taxes?

Every cent of corporate money gets paid out to people so it will be taxed then

If your neighbor earns the same income you do, but one of you pays more taxes than the other because you are being punished for not buying a house, that is not a fair system.

If your neighbor earns the same income you do, but one of you pays more taxes than the other because you are being punished for not having kids, that is not a fair system.

If your neighbor earns the same income you do, but one of you pays more taxes than the other because you are being punished for not owning the right kind of refrigerator, that is not a fair system.

That is the system we have today.

A fair system is one in which people who earn identical incomes pay identical taxes. A fair system is one in which the government does not pick the winners and losers. A fair system is one in which the government does not perpetrate a massive behavioral control program on its citizens.

You left out when people get checks after having paid 0 in taxes. It isn't "fair" until everyone has some skin in the game.
That's why I favor the Fair Tax. It has three advantages.

One, it is a tax on consumption instead of a tax on production (income tax).

Two, everyone has to pay it. So if the rubes want to demand the government provide free puppies to hookers, EVERYONE will pay a higher Fair Tax to cover the cost. No more, "Gimme gimme gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it."

Three, you can't hide a tax increase.

I think it's ridiculous to cut a check to every person in the country every month which is what the fair tax calls for

What is the sense of taxing at one rate only to give some of it back every month?

Why not just tax at a lower rate and not give any back?

I don't have a problem with an income tax it should just be a flat tax though

According to the RWnuts, fair share means corporations should pay no income taxes,

I know you don't care, but you really aggravate me, lol.

QUESTION--------> I am a corporation! I make widgets that you buy! You don't tax me, so I lower prices to be competitive. Who pays the tax? YOU DO!

So now lets use YOUR logic! I am a corporation, you tax the hell out of me, so I pass that tax down to the people who buys my products. Who pays the tax? YOU DO!

Everything in business is counted as the cost of doing business. Suppose I need to make 10 cents on a dollar to make it worth my while! OK, my product costs 50 cents in commodities to build, and 30 cents in labor. That equals 80 cents! Now I have to ship it for 10 cents per unit, so I have my 10 cent profit, but the government is going to tax me, so what am I going to do? Raise the price, that is what!

In the end, the CONSUMER pays! And if the corporation can't make it because the taxes are to high compared to the same product coming in from a lower taxing authority, they go out of business. This is why making corporations pay NO tax is brilliant. The consumer pays the tax no matter where the product is made. This means that if our corporate tax used to be higher, it no longer is, because consumers are paying the taxes at the back end, no matter WHERE the product comes from, meaning a low tax country loses it's advantage to steal America factories!

Last edited:

I know you don't care, but you really aggravate me, lol.

QUESTION--------> I am a corporation! I make widgets that you buy! You don't tax me, so I lower prices to be competitive. Who pays the tax? YOU DO!

So now lets use YOUR logic! I am a corporation, you tax the hell out of me, so I pass that tax down to the people who buys my products. Who pays the tax? YOU DO!

Everything in business is counted as the cost of doing business. Suppose I need to make 10 cents on a dollar to make it worth my while! OK, my product costs 50 cents in commodities to build, and 30 cents in labor. That equals 80 cents! Now I have to ship it for 10 cents per unit, so I have my 10 cent profit, but the government is going to tax me, so what am I going to do? Raise the price, that is what!

In the end, the CONSUMER pays! And if the corporation can't make it because the taxes are to high compared to the same product coming in from a lower taxing authority, they go out of business. This is why making corporations pay NO sales tax is brilliant. The consumer pays the tax no matter where the product is made. This means that if our corporate tax used to be higher, it no longer is, because consumers are paying the taxes at the back end, no matter WHERE the product comes from, meaning a low tax country loses it's advantage to steal America factories!

P.S. Tax receipts also go up, because all CORPORATIONS products are now paying taxes, no matter where they are based!

If your neighbor earns the same income you do, but one of you pays more taxes than the other because you are being punished for not buying a house, that is not a fair system.

If your neighbor earns the same income you do, but one of you pays more taxes than the other because you are being punished for not having kids, that is not a fair system.

If your neighbor earns the same income you do, but one of you pays more taxes than the other because you are being punished for not owning the right kind of refrigerator, that is not a fair system.

A fair system is one in which people who earn identical incomes pay identical taxes. A fair system is one in which the government does not pick the winners and losers. A fair system is one in which the government does not perpetrate a massive behavioral control program on its citizens.

You left out when people get checks after having paid 0 in taxes. It isn't "fair" until everyone has some skin in the game.
Think about the person that makes $10 hr and every time they spend $1 they are taxed 6 cents. That is a huge chunk of their income. You want to tax them more? How much of their $280 a week take home do you want?

They pay $120 bucks in taxes?

That can't be right.

]Obama keeps pushing his "fair share" of taxes in his speeches. What is fair? Fair is a relative term which means different things to different people. There is no set rule for what one thinks is fair. Is it fair that over forty percent of potential taxpayers pay absolutley no taxes at all? They probably think that is fair. But, do people who pay all the taxes think that is fair? Probably not! Is it fair that people who make more the a million dollars a year pay the largest portion of the federal income taxes? You probably think it is fair but they think they are already paying more than their fair share. So, you can see this is a fruitless debate. It all comes down to there is no way for the government to raise people in lower income brackets to higher ones. Each individual can only do that themselves. Since government can not raise these people to higher levels, in their misguided thinking the only thing they can do is knock the higher income people down as far as they can through tax rates. That at best is un-American and at worst tyrannical government.

What's the fairest way for a group of people to pay for something they are all sharing? Take the total cost, and divide by the number of people. The result is each person's fair share.

What's the fairest way for a group of people to pay for something they are all sharing? Take the total cost, and divide by the number of people. The result is each person's fair share.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Here's a rough estimate of what each person's share would be. The amount is surprisingly high - probably why this "fair" method of cost sharing is impractical.

While all Americans benefit (hopefully) from what our Federal government does, it is not realistic to include all 319 million people (per the 2014 census) as equal sharers in the cost of these benefits. Children, the elderly, the infirm, etc. should be excluded. So how many people should be included in the calculation?

Data from 2012 (http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbarro/2012/04/17/everything-about-this-drudge-headline-is-wrong/) indicate 85 million tax paying units (a “unit” is one single or one joint filer) paid Federal income tax; 44% of the 85 million were assumed to be joint filers. Data from 2013 (http://www.businessinsider.com/43-of-americans-dont-pay-federal-income-tax-2013-9) indicate that 43% of households paid no Federal income tax in 2013. Assuming that 44% of these were also joint filers, the total number of individual tax payers is about 215 million. I know, lots of assumptions, but it’s just an estimate. When you consider that there were about 200 million people between 18 and 65 in the 2014 census, using 215 million as the number of individual taxpayers isn’t too bad.

Now, on to revenue. For 2013, $1.316T in individual income tax was collected; the total for Social Insurance Taxes was $0.948T (https://www.cbo.gov/publication/44711). Dividing these revenues by 215 million gives the “fair share” for each individual tax payer:

Federal Income Tax: $6,121 Social Insurance Taxes: $4,409

Total fair share of Federal taxes for single filers: $10,530

Total fair share of Federal taxes for joint filers: $21,060

So, are you paying your fair share of these taxes? Check boxes 4 and 6 on your W-2s to determine your Social Insurance taxes and line 63 on your 1040 for your Federal Income tax.

After going through this calculation, I realize that some people are paying much more than their fair share of Federal taxes. Thank you for doing this, because it surely isn’t me.

I agree. Here's a rough estimate of what each person's share would be. The amount is surprisingly high - probably why this "fair" method of cost sharing is impractical.

While all Americans benefit (hopefully) from what our Federal government does, it is not realistic to include all 319 million people (per the 2014 census) as equal sharers in the cost of these benefits. Children, the elderly, the infirm, etc. should be excluded. So how many people should be included in the calculation?

Data from 2012 (http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbarro/2012/04/17/everything-about-this-drudge-headline-is-wrong/) indicate 85 million tax paying units (a “unit” is one single or one joint filer) paid Federal income tax; 44% of the 85 million were assumed to be joint filers. Data from 2013 (http://www.businessinsider.com/43-of-americans-dont-pay-federal-income-tax-2013-9) indicate that 43% of households paid no Federal income tax in 2013. Assuming that 44% of these were also joint filers, the total number of individual tax payers is about 215 million. I know, lots of assumptions, but it’s just an estimate. When you consider that there were about 200 million people between 18 and 65 in the 2014 census, using 215 million as the number of individual taxpayers isn’t too bad.

Now, on to revenue. For 2013, $1.316T in individual income tax was collected; the total for Social Insurance Taxes was $0.948T (https://www.cbo.gov/publication/44711). Dividing these revenues by 215 million gives the “fair share” for each individual tax payer:

So, are you paying your fair share of these taxes? Check boxes 4 and 6 on your W-2s to determine your Social Insurance taxes and line 63 on your 1040 for your Federal Income tax.

After going through this calculation, I realize that some people are paying much more than their fair share of Federal taxes. Thank you for doing this, because it surely isn’t me.

I'm glad you agree. We should also reduce federal spending, so each person's share of the burden ls lighter.

What's the fairest way for a group of people to pay for something they are all sharing? Take the total cost, and divide by the number of people. The result is each person's fair share.

After going through this calculation, I realize that some people are paying much more than their fair share of Federal taxes. Thank you for doing this, because it surely isn’t me.[/QUOTE]

I paid very close to this. So I guess I am one of the filthy rich? Don't think so, my wife and I made less than 130,000 dollars-(

How do we change this?

I don't need to, I (we need) to create more people who pay in, as long as it isn't spent on more goofy programs, and is spent instead, on making our country solvent.

FAIRSHARE is a share. Those who pay nothing can never complain how much someone else pays. How can you complain about someone who only brought salad to a neighborhood party, when you brought zilch? We should be asking------> you want to participate in the party, but can't even bring a can of corn! And in fact, you not only refuse to bring a can of corn, but DEMAND 2 cans of corn for attending? What is up with that!

People need to realize that the tax code is skewed to pit you against one another, instead of pitting everyone against the taxing authority. If everyone paid ANYTHING, a raise in taxes would be questioned by everyone, not just those who have to pay, because EVERYONE has to pay. Even if we changed the rules somewhat and said-------> we are raising taxes by 10%, but those who get more money back then they put in will lose 10%, watch how fast the whole conversation would change.

As long as only a certain group of people pay, or lose something, we will all be lost as we fight each other. But start making everyone feel some pain, and the whole Washington DC narrative goes up in smoke!

Think about the person that makes $10 hr and every time they spend $1 they are taxed 6 cents. That is a huge chunk of their income. You want to tax them more? How much of their $280 a week take home do you want?

They pay $120 bucks in taxes?

That can't be right.

it will be if bernie gets his way

--LOL

Who the hell said that?

80% of the RWnuts on this forum.

Quote one saying that.

Bet me $1000 no one has ever said that on this forum.

I won $2000 yesterday, so beware.

I'm not going to claim no one has ever said it. Right wingers have said corporate taxes should be reduces to zero, but not because that is what's "fair." They say it because taxing corporations only screws the little guy. It doesn't help him.

Who the hell said that?

80% of the RWnuts on this forum.

Quote one saying that.

How about you saying it?

Elizabeth Warren? Seriously?

I didn't fine a post by me at that URL.

Forum List

Back