What Will Happen to the Post Office

Myth 1: The USPS' losses show that it's not a viable business
In the last decade or so, the USPS has been dogged by two significant changes. The most obvious is the advent of email, which has hurt postal volumes, especially first-class mail. That's a secular change that's not going away, and all the better for the many benefits it provides (spam notwithstanding).

The other change is political and imposes un-needed stress. In 2006, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, forcing USPS to pre-fund the present value of 75 years of its pension and health-benefit fund in 10 years -- about $5.5 billion annually for a business mandated to break even.

Listen only to the recent headlines and you might think the USPS is about to drop off the face of the earth. After all, officially it spurted red to the tune of $15.9 billion in 2012. Look closer.

Exactly $11.1 billion of that loss was due to the pre-funding mandate and half of that ($5.5 billion) was deferred from 2011 when the USPS defaulted on its payment in order to fund operations. Below are the official numbers and my adjusted figures accounting for Congress's mandate. How the Postal Service Is Being Gutted No other business operates this way and the the President and Congress keep trying to steal this money

It doesn't matter if it loses a fortune... It is a constitutional mandate...

I the RW want to say this outdated and needs to be modernised, OK... But if this part of the Constitution can be modernised then other parts should be open for changing too...

Wrong, the Constitution does not mandate that the government provide a Postal Service.

They can't, moron. It's illegal.
Illegal?
Worse, it's unprofitable

No, it's just illegal. Ho can you know whether it's unprofitable if private firms are not allowed to provide the service? If the Post Office does such a great job, then why not open it up to competition?
well if this private firm that you feel can do the job then they too have to hold a retirement plan 50 years out too... I wonder how many of your private firms will jump at deal ...

Wrong. They are free to make any deal with their employees that any other private company is legally allowed to make.

are you really this stupid ??? the republicans passed a bill, this bill makes the post office pay for their retirement plan 50 years out .... this isn't a union Idea.... this was a republican idea, this is whats causing them to fail you ... they cant change shit ....they have to get the congress to repeal it ... where the hell have you been ...thats why they are failing ... they are n't free to make and such deal ... it is law ... that was passed by the republicans under george bush

I wasn't referring to the Post Office, you dumb shit. I was referring to any future private competitors it may have if Congress repeals the Postal Monopoly.

Of all of the governmental programs the GOP has in it's sight to cut, one of the most interesting ones will be the Post Office. We haven't heard the GOP speak much about it lately during their "repackaging" initiative. Given the employment demographic of the USPS and the fact that they are unionized which is always a target for the GOP.

What is the over/under on when a postal reform will be brought up? I believe this is one area where Obama will potentially cave dependent on how much of a fight he wants to pick with Congress.
Ideally the Post Office will be reconstituted as an actual Federal entity with its primary purpose to serve the American people, not make a 'profit.'

That would be the opposite of "ideal." Private companies don't make a profit unless they serve the public.

Why can't you dumbass libturds get that through your fucking 2 inch thick skulls?

It is obsolete in its current role. We need to change that role. Let them be the face of government to most people.
I still haven't seen any private companies stepping up to deliver a letter door to door, cross country for fifty cents

Illegal?
Worse, it's unprofitable

No, it's just illegal. Ho can you know whether it's unprofitable if private firms are not allowed to provide the service? If the Post Office does such a great job, then why not open it up to competition?

If we abolish the USPS do we have a choice but to make it legal?

How much would FedEx or UPS charge to send a letter cross country and deliver it door to door?

They would probably charge a lot less than the Post Office. That's why the Post Office fights tooth and nail to prevent Congress from abolishing its legal monopoly on 1st class mail.

I think you will find Article I, section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution created the Post Offices and Post Roads...

Right ...........I have a direct conduit thru my father who retired as mgr after 45 yrs but the union paper he gets is lying to him about whats happening..............is that it...........sounds like you are no friend of the PO

Illegal?
Worse, it's unprofitable

well if this private firm that you feel can do the job then they too have to hold a retirement plan 50 years out too... I wonder how many of your private firms will jump at deal ...

Wrong. They are free to make any deal with their employees that any other private company is legally allowed to make.

are you really this stupid ??? the republicans passed a bill, this bill makes the post office pay for their retirement plan 50 years out .... this isn't a union Idea.... this was a republican idea, this is whats causing them to fail you ... they cant change shit ....they have to get the congress to repeal it ... where the hell have you been ...thats why they are failing ... they are n't free to make and such deal ... it is law ... that was passed by the republicans under george bush

I wasn't referring to the Post Office, you dumb shit. I was referring to any future private competitors it may have if Congress repeals the Postal Monopoly.
no you weren't ... you just caught yourself saying stupid shit ...you said the po is free to change it... they are not... then you came back here and saw what a stupid statement you made ... then you say oooooooooh I was talking about something else ...the you try to say we're libs are dumb!!!!
priceless !!!!

Its amazing how libs who claim to support something havent done anything to support it and are hostile to anyone not from their party who does .......great plan people drive away support that always helps

Right ...........I have a direct conduit thru my father who retired as mgr after 45 yrs but the union paper he gets is lying to him about whats happening..............is that it...........sounds like you are no friend of the PO
I don't know what union paper he's getting ... is it the one from the republican union party ??? all three of them... probaby is... I guess he is being lied to...when a repub-lie-can moves their lips, you can bet they are repub-lie-can lying ...

Funny I havent seen any such thing or heard it from my father who worked there.
I got to admit, you say some funny stuff. Thanks for the smile.

I try to. But the above isn't one of them.
I speak from experience.

Yes it is funny, no one else does their job everyday and knows what they are doing.

Down right amusing, thanks again.

Maybe you should order reading comprehension lessons by mail. What that post means is that the postal carrier is here (and everywhere) daily, whereas the last time a FedEx truck was here was maybe two years ago.

Given that, which one do you think knows an address from his asshole?

Let me know if you need more clues.

Gee, I'm in the transportation industry and given that there is GPS, you are the ASSHOLE. LOL! You are truly very funny today. Keep on making me smile.

Want to essplain where my expensive microphone is then?

Nope. Neither does FedEx.
As I said -- completely unaccountable.

So let me get this straight --- I paid a tidy three-figure sum, on time, in good faith, for this piece of equipment --- and I'm the asshole when it doesn't show up? Are you drunk?

STILL waiting for an answer on how being ripped off by a courier makes one an "asshole".
I'm left to assume it's for having the temerity to question the almighty Corporatia and suggest it might be less than flawless. :dunno:

Behold the liberal lies and deceit...blame repubs for doing what they havent done themselves while Obama tries to steal their pension money

Either you made that lie up yourself or someone in the right wing media fed it to you.

The president can't touch the funds for pensions at the PO.

I have a feeling that your father either doesn't talk to you much or that was just another lie from you.

The democrats passed the bill in 2012 in the Senate. It went to the house and was promptly killed by daryl issa. The person who wrote the bill in the house was a democratic congressman by the name of Stephen Lynch from Massachusetts.

So if you want to complain about the problem, get it right. The republicans created the problem and then when the democrats tried to fix the problem, republican daryl issa killed the bill.

NAPUS: Senate Passes Postal Bill S 1789 By 62-37 Vote |

Issa Blocks Fix Of Post Office Pension Prepay Time Bomb, Says Robert Weiner, Former Spokesman for U.S. House Govt Reform Comm.; Bipartisan Bill Has 229 Sponsors But Chairman Issa Pushes Privatization - The Business Journals

Last edited:
Its amazing how libs who claim to support something havent done anything to support it and are hostile to anyone not from their party who does .......great plan people drive away support that always helps
when you talk about libs please look it up before opening mouth and inserting foot ... before an dem/liberal can vote on it, the majority party has to bring it to the floor, or get enough votes from the house to force it to the floor ....the dems tried it ...they tried to force to repeal it ... they couldn't get one republican to vote to repeal it ... something you won't admit ... by you saying they haven't done anything is you not looking at the news ... go look at bernie sanders site ... where he will tell you how we dems have tried to repeal that bad law passed by republicans... the fact that you hate dems/liberals beyond belief and you make false accusation about what we did or what we didn't do, is you not paying attention... I hate to tell you how many emails I get to sign up to repeal this law from democrats ... where they sent it to boehner ... telling him to bring it to the floor ... then ass wipes like you say we do nothing...that's you being stupid

Last edited:
Funny I havent seen any such thing or heard it from my father who worked there.
I try to. But the above isn't one of them.
I speak from experience.

Yes it is funny, no one else does their job everyday and knows what they are doing.

Down right amusing, thanks again.

Maybe you should order reading comprehension lessons by mail. What that post means is that the postal carrier is here (and everywhere) daily, whereas the last time a FedEx truck was here was maybe two years ago.

Given that, which one do you think knows an address from his asshole?

Let me know if you need more clues.

Gee, I'm in the transportation industry and given that there is GPS, you are the ASSHOLE. LOL! You are truly very funny today. Keep on making me smile.

Want to essplain where my expensive microphone is then?

Nope. Neither does FedEx.
As I said -- completely unaccountable.

So let me get this straight --- I paid a tidy three-figure sum, on time, in good faith, for this piece of equipment --- and I'm the asshole when it doesn't show up? Are you drunk?

STILL waiting for an answer on how being ripped off by a courier makes one an "asshole".
I'm left to assume it's for having the temerity to question the almighty Corporatia and suggest it might be less than flawless. :dunno:

Gee, just saw the post, i don't monitor when you post, nor do I care, I am not here for you, I am here for me. I really think you are hilarious, I have you telling me a story, is it true? :dunno: Did you get insurance? :dunno: Did you ask for the company, you are paying good money to, to ship it USPS? :dunno:

Have you acted like an asshole to me in the past, yes.

I stand by my statement. Have a good night.

Illegal?
Worse, it's unprofitable

If we abolish the USPS do we have a choice but to make it legal?

How much would FedEx or UPS charge to send a letter cross country and deliver it door to door?

They would probably charge a lot less than the Post Office. That's why the Post Office fights tooth and nail to prevent Congress from abolishing its legal monopoly on 1st class mail.

I think you will find Article I, section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution created the Post Offices and Post Roads...

The Congress shall have Power To
. . . . .
To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

In short, it doesn't mandate the creation of a Post Office. It simply gives the government to create a Post Office if it so desires.

You really need to take a class in reading comprehension.

no you weren't ... you just caught yourself saying stupid shit ...you said the po is free to change it... they are not... then you came back here and saw what a stupid statement you made ... then you say oooooooooh I was talking about something else ...the you try to say we're libs are dumb!!!!
priceless !!!!

You're a moron. Yes I was referring to any future private competitors it may have if Congress repeals the Postal Monopoly. Anyone can read what I said for themselves.

Forum List

Back