When should a priest tell?

Only if he is willing to be excommunicated and condemn himself to hell.

By the way, how do you know what the priest advised the girl to do, or that her story is even true that she told him? Is the fundamental hatred of religion the guiding force in your life?

Being kicked out of the church is better than knowing a child is being abused and doing nothing to stop it.

Prove he did nothing to stop it. Fuck, prove he knew. You are letting your feelings dominate your small ability to make rational decisions.

He didn't report it. He listened and probably got off on it.

Ruling 'attacking' seal of confession likely headed to U.S. Supr - Tucson News Now

It's a case likely headed for the U.S. Supreme Court involving a 14-year-old girl who claims that during the sacrament of confession, she told her parish priest she was being abused.

Her parents are suing the priest and the Catholic Diocese of Baton Rouge, because the priest did not report the abuse.

Diocese officials say, in its ruling, the Louisiana Supreme Court ran afoul of the constitutional rights of the church and the priest.

The secrecy of the confessional is not simply a church tradition. It's considered foundational doctrine of the catholic church that priests absolutely must not violate.

"We cannot break the seal of confession. It is forbidden for us to break it," said Rev. Derek Covert of the Diocese of Lake Charles. Father Covert is a canon lawyer, an expert on church rules and doctrine.

"This is something required from Sacred Scripture, that we confess our sins, and therefore, it is something required by divine law. This is by God, okay? And what we would argue in this is if a person was prevented from going to confession because they feared that it might be revealed, if a priest was made to reveal it, now that person is not going to fulfill a divine law or divine precept," said Covert.

Covert predicts many, if not most priests, would go to prison before they would violate the sacred seal of the sacrament of confession.

"We would have to maybe do time in prison for contempt of court or something like that," said Covert.

In the Baton Rouge case, church officials say they will appeal to the highest court of the land to protect freedom of religion for both the church and the priest.

Some have said that children's parents should be told if they're getting birth control.

What about this situation? The girl is clearly in danger. Should the priest tell? And, who should he tell? What if its a parent or other family member who is abusing the child?

I'd think that just as other religious sacraments don't get to ignore civil law (peyote ceremonies in natuve religions for example) the Catholic one about the sanctity of confession doesn't get to ignore the rules pertaining to professionals reporting abuse allegations as with teachers, counsellors, and the like.

Someone tell me...

Does this mean that Father O'diddle forgave the girl for being abused?

And following up on my previous question, why wouldn't he at least have the common sense to get the police involved?

I'm with [MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION] or whoever said it. He didn't care about what happened, he was too busy rubbing his frock.

Someone tell me...

Does this mean that Father O'diddle forgave the girl for being abused?

And following up on my previous question, why wouldn't he at least have the common sense to get the police involved?

I'm with [MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION] or whoever said it. He didn't care about what happened, he was too busy rubbing his frock.
shirley you do not mean the priest was bashing his bishop whilst the 14 yrs old child confessed?

The priest does NOT have to remain silent at all. He can choose to speak in court and he can choose to report the abuse.
This has nothing to do with some so called vow of silence and everything to do with a bunch of religious fuddies believing that their belief in something they cannot prove is more important than a child who is being abused.

just out of curiosity, would it be a violation of the confessional if the priest had gone to the abuser and beaten the crap out him?......

The priest does NOT have to remain silent at all. He can choose to speak in court and he can choose to report the abuse.
This has nothing to do with some so called vow of silence and everything to do with a bunch of religious fuddies believing that their belief in something they cannot prove is more important than a child who is being abused.

just out of curiosity, would it be a violation of the confessional if the priest had gone to the abuser and beaten the crap out him?......

If it was a boy he would have rushed over and joined in!

If it was a boy he would have rushed over and joined in!

would you have let him?.....

Forum List

Back