Why are people against legalizing marijuana?

It's not even logical to legalize marijuana when the government is frantic about cigarette smoking among kids and quit smoking programs have become a billion dollar industry. Old pot heads can dig up Tricky Dick and comic docudramas but their historical perspective is as skewed as Cheech and Chong.

You almost gotta laugh that it is against federal, state and local law to even possess a "still" and manufacture alcohol even for your own consumption. Pot heads can get hold of a couple of seeds, grow a plant and smoke the weed until their brains run out their ears but that's not what they want. They want to be able to sell the gateway drug to your kids and not have to look over their shoulders. At a point in history when cigarette smoking is restricted to the point that you could get arrested for smoking in some public parks, the hypocrite left wants to legalize marijuana smoking. Another laugh is that the pot heads in the 21st century even make the ludicrous claim that smoking the junk is "good for you" like tobacco manufactures did around the turn of the 20th century.
This is a post from a sober mind?

Wow. Soon as I see buzzwords like "gateway drug" I deduct 20 points from the intelligence level of that particular poster. Way too many incorrect assumptions to even bother countering this nonsense.

It's not even logical to legalize marijuana when the government is frantic about cigarette smoking among kids and quit smoking programs have become a billion dollar industry. Old pot heads can dig up Tricky Dick and comic docudramas but their historical perspective is as skewed as Cheech and Chong.
No one is saying kids should be using adult substances of any kind.

Jesus Christ.
Get a grip people.

What is their rationale? We have alcohol and nobody believes that should be illegal. If one is for freedom and liberty one is supportive of legalization.
Marijuana turns even the furthest right righties into lefties within minutes of inhaling. If you turn all the righties into lefties, there won't be anybody left to pay into welfare for lefties.
On this topic the righties sound exactly like the lefties in their support of a nanny state that knows what's best for you.
I am very much against the legalization of Marijuana, since it will inevitably cost me more money to support more lefties who won't work. Dope heads are unemployable, they live off of a nanny state that is paid for out of my paycheck.

Weed is just another method by which one can impair his mind and facilities.
It's unfortunate we think we need that sort of thing to get through life.

You would't say that if you had cancer and had to endure the side effects from chemo.

I was on a pill form of chemo for 7 long years. It destroyed my stomach. While I was taking that pill every day for 7 years, the only thing that would stay in my stomach without smoking marijuana was water and lettuce.

That's it. When you try all the pills and drugs to try to keep food in your stomach only for none of it to work and you're down to a size zero, you will do anything to keep food in you.

Marijuana keeps food in me. I'm up to a size 3 now only because of the medical marijuana.

The chemo made my stomach very weak and even though I'm not on it anymore, I still can't keep food in me without smoking medical marijuana.

According to you, I should die of emaciation and starvation. How very pro life of you.

It's really not a good idea to make a blanket statement about something.

You usually are very wrong.

What is their rationale? We have alcohol and nobody believes that should be illegal. If one is for freedom and liberty one is supportive of legalization.

Its all about the kids. They dont want their kids getting the idea that its an ok thing for them. Even with legal age limitations you know it is so much easier for them to get it once its legal. It's a lot easier to carry around than a 12 pack of beer

My state legalized marijuana for medical purposes in 1998.

We legalized it for recreational purposes in 2012.

The result is that the black market has totally collapsed here.

It's much harder for an under age person to buy marijuana now than it was when I was under 21. It was illegal at that time. It was everywhere. There was no problem with finding any marijuana at that time.

I don't know what other states have done but in my state it's highly regulated and taxed.

The only way an under age person can get some is if they know someone over 21 to buy it for them from a store.

PBS reported that Black Market Grass has actually boomed in Colorado since legalization. Is this Fake News?

How Colorado’s marijuana legalization strengthened the drug's black market

I don't know what is happening in Colorado. That report could be true.

I don't live in Colorado and never have.

Colorado has absolutely nothing to do with my state and what's happening here.

If you couldn't lie and deflect, you wouldn't have anything to say.

Marijuana turns even the furthest right righties into lefties within minutes of inhaling. If you turn all the righties into lefties, there won't be anybody left to pay into welfare for lefties.
On this topic the righties sound exactly like the lefties in their support of a nanny state that knows what's best for you.
I am very much against the legalization of Marijuana, since it will inevitably cost me more money to support more lefties who won't work. Dope heads are unemployable, they live off of a nanny state that is paid for out of my paycheck.
More idiotic assumptions.
Apparently you have read none of my posts. This assumption that all "dopers" as you stupidly put it are all liberals and worthless is neither correct and based on ignorance.

If these arguments are from clear and sober minds, you folks are doing the rest of non users a disservice.

I did a dissertation-type study on Marijuana at Oregon State in Corvallis back in the early 1980s. The science of the then illegal drug cited numerous cases of families in Central America giving their children Marajuana cigarettes to pacify them, and the boys who took them had a failure of their reproductive organs where their testicles did not descend, and after too long, they became both impotent and unable to reproduce when they became adults. The other problem the disease sticks developed for all children who were put on the substance early in life was failure of brain development to the point they had impaired reasoning skills, some to the point of lifelong mental incapacity and disability to care for themselves as adults. The term "Deadheads" became pervasive in the American cult who took pot when it was illegal to erase their sadness (which it didn't longterm) and make them feel good (lessened by serious stealing when the drug became too expensive on the street.) It was considered the gateway drug to harsher addictions, irresponsibility, and incarceration for thefts, since all their money "had to" go for their addiction to the substance, and working for a living was not an option due to perils of the drug reducing concentration in jobs where that is a liability for the person and others.

Marijuana ws and still is hell for drug abusers, because today's marijuana is exponentially more deleterious than its weaker predecessor back when and before growers figured out how to increase its potency. We can thank Hollyweird for making it a stupidly revered social happening. If you're a guy, Take marijuana. Your testicles will not descend in puberty if you start young enough. :rolleyes: And you, too, can sing "Don't know much about history, don't know much trigonometry...." etc.

So the term "deadheads" didn't come from the cult who followed the grateful dead. Your study seemed one sided as someone who is studying kids in Mexico and not adults.

No one is saying kids should be using adult substances of any kind.

Jesus Christ.
Get a grip people.
Put the freaking pipe down and think about it. It's against the law for kids to buy cigarettes and the government is frantic about cigarette smoking among middle and high school kids. State and local governments are cracking down on cigarette smoking in public and in private areas and in some cases in your freaking car because it's bad for you. Why in the world does it make sense to legalize a product over the counter that is as bad for you as cigarettes and has properties that impair the thought process and your ability to operate machinery and motor vehicles. How in the world does legalizing marijuana improve the quality of life?

Legalizing use may increase the use ? Who would have thought !

A troubling new study shows that legalizing marijuana is linked with an increase in problematic pot use among teens

Jeremy Berke
Nov 14, 2019, 3:00 AM

• A new study found that problematic marijuana use increased by 25% among teens in states with legal pot shops.
  • Adults over the age of 26 also reported increased marijuana use. The study looked at survey data for about 500,000 people.
  • While concerning, “our results in no way imply that we shouldn’t be legalizing marijuana,” one of the study’s authors, NYU Langone’s Magdalena Cerdá, told Business Insider in an interview.

A troubling new study shows that legalizing marijuana is linked with an increase in problematic pot use among teens

Bingo. The church ladies failed with alcohol, so they went right for marijuana. Gotta stop all this fun people are having.

That's just not true.

Marijuana was not a criminal offense until nixon.

There were countless hippies protesting outside the White House during his presidency. Mostly against the Vietnam war.

There was nothing legally that nixon could do to get them off the White House grounds. He noticed many of them were smoking marijuana. He had it reclassified a schedule 1 drug and a felony. So he could then have them arrested and removed from the White House grounds.

So if you want to be angry with someone, be angry with nixon. He's the guy who is responsible for marijuana being a crime.

It was a crime in 1937 under FDR.

On This Date: FDR Made Marijuana Illegal 81 Years Ago

If you read my post you would see I said he made it class one felony.

Before that it was just a misdemeanor.

Yes it was illegal before nixon but it was just a parking ticket offence. nixon couldn't have the protesters removed from the White House grounds for a misdemeanor.

Plus under the 1937 law it was still legal for some medical purposes. It wasn't a felony that resulted in anyone put in prison. It was a misdemeanor which resulted in a fine.

It wasn't until nixon that marijuana became the federal felony crime it is today.

The Science behind the DEA's Long War on Marijuana

View attachment 304101

Your post is wrong. People went to prison for possession on marijuana, up to 5 years for first offense. It was also a felony.

Samuel R. Caldwell - Wikipedia
His Name Was Samuel R. Caldwell{"issue_id":37197,"view":"articleBrowser","publication_id":"11569","article_id":"383063"}

Also in the 1950’s they had mandatory sentencing laws for marijuana possession.

Marijuana Timeline | Busted - America's War On Marijuana | FRONTLINE | PBS

Stricter Sentencing Laws

Enactment of federal laws (Boggs Act, 1952; Narcotics Control Act, 1956) which set mandatory sentences for drug-related offenses, including marijuana.

A first-offense marijuana possession carried a minimum sentence of 2-10 years with a fine of up to $20,000.

bline.gif

I don't believe much of what you posted. I was busted in Ann Arbor in 71 a $5.00 fine. Again the next year busted in another city with 2 ounces paid $150.00 for a misdemeanor.

You almost gotta laugh that it is against federal, state and local law to even possess a "still" and manufacture alcohol even for your own consumption. Pot heads can get hold of a couple of seeds, grow a plant and smoke the weed until their brains run out their ears but that's not what they want. They want to be able to sell the gateway drug to your kids and not have to look over their shoulders. At a point in history when cigarette smoking is restricted to the point that you could get arrested for smoking in some public parks, the hypocrite left wants to legalize marijuana smoking. Another laugh is that the pot heads in the 21st century even make the ludicrous claim that smoking the junk is "good for you" like tobacco manufactures did around the turn of the 20th century.
This is a post from a sober mind?

Wow. Soon as I see buzzwords like "gateway drug" I deduct 20 points from the intelligence level of that particular poster. Way too many incorrect assumptions to even bother countering this nonsense.
Buzzwords and cliches instead of a logical pro-marijuana argument. No surprises here.

Legalizing use may increase the use ? Who would have thought !

Jeremy Berke
Nov 14, 2019, 3:00 AM

• A new study found that problematic marijuana use increased by 25% among teens in states with legal pot shops.
  • Adults over the age of 26 also reported increased marijuana use. The study looked at survey data for about 500,000 people.
  • While concerning, “our results in no way imply that we shouldn’t be legalizing marijuana,” one of the study’s authors, NYU Langone’s Magdalena Cerdá, told Business Insider in an interview.

As with alcohol it is the responsibility of the parents to keep this out of teenager's hands. If one can't control their kids then maybe they should be taken away and placed in a foster home that can control them.

You do have your head buried in the sand, as many on the right use as do on the left.

More idiotic assumptions.
Apparently you have read none of my posts. This assumption that all "dopers" as you stupidly put it are all liberals and worthless is neither correct and based on ignorance.

If these arguments are from clear and sober minds, you folks are doing the rest of non users a disservice.
Anybody who has ever inhaled knows it turns you into a useless lefty after a minute or two, and keeps you that way for hours. Get hooked on that crap, and you will be living off my paycheck forever.

Weed is just another method by which one can impair his mind and facilities.
It's unfortunate we think we need that sort of thing to get through life.

You would't say that if you had cancer and had to endure the side effects from chemo.

I was on a pill form of chemo for 7 long years. It destroyed my stomach. While I was taking that pill every day for 7 years, the only thing that would stay in my stomach without smoking marijuana was water and lettuce.

That's it. When you try all the pills and drugs to try to keep food in your stomach only for none of it to work and you're down to a size zero, you will do anything to keep food in you.

Marijuana keeps food in me. I'm up to a size 3 now only because of the medical marijuana.

The chemo made my stomach very weak and even though I'm not on it anymore, I still can't keep food in me without smoking medical marijuana.

According to you, I should die of emaciation and starvation. How very pro life of you.

It's really not a good idea to make a blanket statement about something.

You usually are very wrong.
Medical marijuana has been legal in prescription form for years and used specifically to treat chemo patients by quelling nausea and increasing appetites. It’s called Marinol.

What's the upside in this argument? Do (mostly) leftie proponents see a win win where the government finds a new lucrative tax on the poor suckers who find out that they can't get through the day without a couple of tokes on a mildly mind altering drug? Is it about elitists who don't care about taxes but don't want to worry about buying a mind altering drug over the counter? How will society benefit from legalizing another poison?

Forum List

Back