Why does the United States have the largest prison population in the world ?

Once again, you're wrong. Surprise, surprise!

lockedup_pie-L.jpg
REally?

What crimes in that pie chart are violent crimes?
Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

Is "other" a violent crime?

So...in your opinion criminals who commit burglary and deal drugs should not be put in prison? What should be done with them?

There are plenty of ways to use alternative sentencing.

And I don't think drugs should be illegal at all. Decriminalizing all drugs would reduce the prison population by half

Specifically what are those "plenty of ways to use alternative sentencing".

Legalizing all drugs is stupid. Just stupid and childish. Legalizing murder, robbery, and assault would reduce the prison population too.

Taking drugs is a personal choice. A person who does drugs is not violating any of your rights a person who murders is. There is a glaring difference between the two.

Decriminalize drugs and you also put an end to much of the violence associated with the illicit drug trade.

What's childish is needing to be told by the government what to do and what not to do because you can't control yourself.

If someone murders, robs or beats the heck out of you, that bothers me not in the least. Why should it? Certainly no more than if you were smoking crack a few times a day.

If you do some research, you'll find that the illegal sale of marijuana in California, where recreational pot is legal, is thriving.

The problem in our country is people selling drugs more than using them. Not many of our citizens today are in prison for drug use alone. Most that involve drug possession are in there for other crimes; some that are associated with possession, and others that are associated with usage such as breaking and entering or other theft.

I don't know anything about Portugal, so I looked it up. According to this article, legalizing drugs was not really making drugs legal. It's still illegal to sell drugs, police confiscate any drugs when found, and it only shifted the burden of addicts from prison to treatment centers. That last was the only thing that really changed.

Did Portugal Really Legalize All Drugs?

Your source and link certainly destroy our far left Progressive Blues Man's foolish argument.

It didn't make any sense when he wrote it. No matter what you make legal, more people will be involved in it. We had prohibition in this country. Yes, some people still drank, but do we have more alcoholics today than back then or the other way around?

If we legalized all drugs in this country and found it to be a total disaster, there is very little way to reverse it because many more people would be hooked. Making it illegal again would create criminals out of all those poor souls who would find alternatives to getting the drug.

I disagree.

I'm not going to start shooting smack if it was decriminalized, are you?

Me neither. But then I'm old enough to know better. I'm not sixteen, with testosterone raging and a desperate need to show off. My brain has also been fully developed for generations and the brain of a sixteen-year-olds brain still has ten more years before it is fully developed.

I wonder how the US compares to other superpowers with large numbers of rotting inner-cities?

Inner cities infested with 4th and 5th generation descendants of slaves who still can't get off-the-dole?

Inner cities infested with half-savage illiterates and non-language-speakers from a next-door 3rd-world country?

Inner cities that have been long-since been abandoned by Civilized Folk who took their toys and money elsewhere...

Strip those $hithole$ out of the equation and the US probably compares much more favorably...

The prison system keeps the worst of that barbarian trash from getting too far out of hand...
new cities in more optimal locations promotes the general welfare.

What new cities and how?

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

It’s no secret that the U.S. incarcerates a shocking number of swaths of its own people, primarily the poor and people of color. With 2.3 million Americans currently being held in prisons, the country has the largest prison population in the world. But even as awareness of mass incarceration grows, two crucial questions remain at the heart of the debate on prison reform: Why does the U.S. imprison so many people, and how do we change our toxic approach? These are the issues Tony Platt, author of “Beyond These Walls: Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States,” and Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer discuss in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

(snip)....There’s a tendency these days for people to say the United States proportionally incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. I don’t know if that’s true. I just don’t think we know what the real situation is in China and Russia, which are the big competitors in incarceration. I think the U.S. is in the ballpark; I think the U.S. is close. When you compare the U.S. with Canada or Australia or New Zealand, or France and England, then there’s no contest. There’s no other country that’s comparable to the United States in terms of its political economy that puts as many people away, that hires as many cops, and invests as much money in repression as this country does.

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like in there when you put someone away for 5, 10, 20 years or more, we would put an end to this mass incarceration. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

A big part is because we are so far away on our criminals. Other countries tend to kill them.

We are one of the few countries that kill them

For Profit prisons - Do people not understand that imprisoning people creates jobs and corporate profits?

REally?

What crimes in that pie chart are violent crimes?
Burglary isn't
public order isn't
drugs aren't

Is "other" a violent crime?

So...in your opinion criminals who commit burglary and deal drugs should not be put in prison? What should be done with them?

There are plenty of ways to use alternative sentencing.

And I don't think drugs should be illegal at all. Decriminalizing all drugs would reduce the prison population by half

Specifically what are those "plenty of ways to use alternative sentencing".

Legalizing all drugs is stupid. Just stupid and childish. Legalizing murder, robbery, and assault would reduce the prison population too.

Taking drugs is a personal choice. A person who does drugs is not violating any of your rights a person who murders is. There is a glaring difference between the two.

Decriminalize drugs and you also put an end to much of the violence associated with the illicit drug trade.

What's childish is needing to be told by the government what to do and what not to do because you can't control yourself.

If someone murders, robs or beats the heck out of you, that bothers me not in the least. Why should it? Certainly no more than if you were smoking crack a few times a day.

If you do some research, you'll find that the illegal sale of marijuana in California, where recreational pot is legal, is thriving.
Which does nothing but point out that the prohibition on drugs is utterly pointless.
FYI there is still an illegal trade in cigarettes so why wouldn't there be one for weed?

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

It’s no secret that the U.S. incarcerates a shocking number of swaths of its own people, primarily the poor and people of color. With 2.3 million Americans currently being held in prisons, the country has the largest prison population in the world. But even as awareness of mass incarceration grows, two crucial questions remain at the heart of the debate on prison reform: Why does the U.S. imprison so many people, and how do we change our toxic approach? These are the issues Tony Platt, author of “Beyond These Walls: Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States,” and Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer discuss in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

(snip)....There’s a tendency these days for people to say the United States proportionally incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. I don’t know if that’s true. I just don’t think we know what the real situation is in China and Russia, which are the big competitors in incarceration. I think the U.S. is in the ballpark; I think the U.S. is close. When you compare the U.S. with Canada or Australia or New Zealand, or France and England, then there’s no contest. There’s no other country that’s comparable to the United States in terms of its political economy that puts as many people away, that hires as many cops, and invests as much money in repression as this country does.

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like in there when you put someone away for 5, 10, 20 years or more, we would put an end to this mass incarceration. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

A big part is because we are so far away on our criminals. Other countries tend to kill them.

For Profit prisons - Do people not understand that imprisoning people creates jobs and corporate profits?

The entire Judicial system is a money maker and motivated by money. Court costs, fees, FINES, reimbursement for many costs they incur, lawyer fees, etc. Plus they already get TAXES to pay for all this stuff. Much of government is FOR PROFIT.

Sure does

The only real jobs republicans create

CONTINUED---https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like inside, we would put an end to this mass incarceration real fast. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

Why? Slave labor..

Because when you have a free nation, some people abuse freedom of other people, which was not what was meant by the framers.
At least the Framers could smoke a joint if they wanted...

No one gets addicted after one use of anything.
Addiction takes time and repeated use to develop.

Crack is so addictive that there are people who are addicted after one use.

No they just find they like it and use it repeatedly and it is the repeated use that causes addiction

If you feel the need to use it after the first time, you're addicted. Nobody smokes crack and says "That was pretty good, I'm sure it's okay for my health."

About as much as people don't understand that in many places, there aren't enough prisons to go around, and the ones that can't take any more prisoners are way over crowded.

No they just find they like it and use it repeatedly and it is the repeated use that causes addiction

While it’s impossible to say that crack causes addiction after one hit, many people describe themselves as being hooked and wanting more after the first time. How quickly someone becomes addicted to crack depends on a number of factors including use of other substances, genetic influences, and other environmental and psychological factors.

First Time Crack Use | Does Crack Addiction Happen Quickly?

If you feel the need to use it after the first time, you're addicted. Nobody smokes crack and says "That was pretty good, I'm sure it's okay for my health."

Hey Ray, why don't you tell these people the truth----------------->

When you have the MOST to steal, there are MORE people willing to steal it! Did you tell them yet, that virtually 30% of those incarcerated, are actually ILLEGAL ALIENS?

Geeze, when you come from nothing, get put in a place where Ray from Cleveland has 4 big screen TVs, 3 cars, and a full freezer, not to mention a good looking daughter, then have SOME people ask why our prisons are full, over 30% being illegal, you just have to scratch your head!

But of course, if I lived next door to you and we helped protect each others home with legality under the 2nd amendment, why we are RACCCCCCCCCIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSTS!

CONTINUED---https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like inside, we would put an end to this mass incarceration real fast. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

because we love freedom? :abgg2q.jpg:

because we love freedom? :abgg2q.jpg:

Freedom and Liberty also mean that more people have to be personally responsible for their actions. Some people simply cannot handle being responsible for themselves and make bad decisions.

Due to our strict laws and the fact that we imprison people for bad behavior means we have one of the lowest violent crime rates in the world.

Personally, I love being safe from violent crimes.

Forum List

Back