Why don't you see the Sunni-Shia divide in the US?

The Shiites cheered just as loudly as the Sunni when the towers came down.
Actually in Iran, the only Shiite country, an estimated 60,000 Iranian citizens after 9/11 held a huge spontaneous candlelight vigil in downtown Tehran for the Twin Tower victims. . :cool:

9-11+-+Zafar+Ahmed+-+AP+-+In+Pakistan+on+Sept.+27,+2001,+members+of+an+ethnic+regional+political+party+pay+homage+to+the+victims+of+Sept.+11+attacks+during+a+candlelight+vigil.jpg
I see only women in this crowd. Where are the men?
As in most muslim countries men and women for the most part stay separated except for family members.

I chose to show a picture of the women and not the men participating in the vigil because they were wearing their head scarves and thus could be easily identified as muslims. .. :cool:

I am not sure what the difference even is between Sunni and Shia but I think it has to do with the bloodline descendants of the family of Mohammad. With that said, why would the Sunni and Shia be fighting one another in the USA? The govt treats both religions the same I believe. Did anyone ever consider that the disputes about Islam /radical Islam - are being driven by non muslims? Yes, I think the evidence is really overwhelming when you take a close look at what is going on and behind it all are communists who are at the highest echelons Lucifereans so it is truly amazing that we do not see it for what it is. I certainly didn't for quite a time. It would not surprise me in the least to find out this is the same group who are even fueling what is happening in Iraq. They are quite good at pitting one side against another!

Last edited:

There''s not enough of them. TheY foment here and send money back home to continue what they foment here.

So, the divide is still there and here. A decent portion of both sides financing comes from here.

America's Allies Are Funding ISIS - The Daily Beast

DOJ: Convicted in Holy Land Terror-Funding Charity Trial, Muslims' Bid To Vacate Trial Outcome "Strains Credulity" | Pamela Geller, Atlas Shrugs

636_amb_louis_susman.jpg

Barenakedislam?
Pamela Geller?

'nuff said.

There''s not enough of them. TheY foment here and send money back home to continue what they foment here.

So, the divide is still there and here. A decent portion of both sides financing comes from here.

636_amb_louis_susman.jpg

Barenakedislam?
Pamela Geller?

'nuff said.

You don't like Islam Bare Naked, do you.

Hidden and under the sheets is better for you?

US-based Muslim charity guilty of funding terrorism - Telegraph

Last edited:
US-based Muslim charity guilty of funding terrorism
The leaders of what was once the largest Muslim charity in the United States were found guilty on Monday of acting as a front for Palestinian militants in the largest terrorism financing prosecution in American history.

It's rather clear.

DOJ: Convicted in Holy Land Terror-Funding Charity Trial, Muslims' Bid To Vacate Trial Outcome "Strains Credulity" | Pamela Geller, Atlas Shrugs

636_amb_louis_susman.jpg

Barenakedislam?
Pamela Geller?

'nuff said.

I don't care for Geller or Islam Bare Naked for the same reason I don't care for Stormfront. Nothing to do with what's under the sheets but rather, what's behind them.

Barenakedislam?
Pamela Geller?

'nuff said.

I don't care for Geller or Islam Bare Naked for the same reason I don't care for Stormfront. Nothing to do with what's under the sheets but rather, what's behind them.

OK, so you've got personal issues with Geller or Islam being shown naked instead of the covering up with "religion of peace" conflations to the extremism.

I hear ya.

US-based Muslim charity guilty of funding terrorism
The leaders of what was once the largest Muslim charity in the United States were found guilty on Monday of acting as a front for Palestinian militants in the largest terrorism financing prosecution in American history.

Still, it's rather clear and this isn't Gellar.

That's why you don't see the divide. They're not blowing each other up here. This is about now using Capitalism against itself.

Kind of like a building divided against itself would be better than this.

I take on Stormfront, btw. I don't run from it.

:)

Pew has an interesting article on the Shia-Sunni divide also:

Iraq's unique place in the Sunni-Shia divide | Pew Research Center
Despite periods of open conflict between Sunnis and Shias in countries such as Lebanon and Iraq, the two groups are not all that different in terms of religious beliefs and commitment. In Iraq, for example, both groups express virtually universal belief in God and the Prophet Muhammad, and similar percentages (82% of Shias and 83% of Sunnis) say religion is very important in their lives. More than nine-in-ten Iraqi Shias (93%) and Sunnis (96%) say they fast during the holy month of Ramadan.

In some countries, significant shares of Muslims don’t even see the distinction between Sunni and Shia Islam as relevant. A survey of Muslims in 39 countries that we conducted in 2011 and 2012 found, for example, that 74% of Muslims in Kazakhstan and 56% of Muslims in Indonesia identified themselves as neither Sunni nor Shia, but “just a Muslim.” In Iraq, however, only 5% answered “just a Muslim.”

On some religious issues, including whether it is acceptable to visit the shrines of Muslim saints, the differences between the sects are more apparent. For some, the divide is even exclusionary. In late 2011, 14% of Iraqi Sunnis said they do not consider Shias to be Muslims. (By contrast, only 1% of Shias in Iraq said that Sunnis are not Muslims.) Even higher percentages of Sunnis in other countries, such as Sunni-dominated Egypt (53%), say that Shias are not Muslims.

Chapter 1: Religious Affiliation | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

“Just a Muslim”
Many Muslims worldwide choose not to affiliate with a specific sect but volunteer that they are “just a Muslim.” This affiliation is most common in Central Asia and across Southern and Eastern Europe; in both regions, the median percentage stating they are “just a Muslim” is half or more. In Kazakhstan, nearly three-quarters (74%) of Muslims volunteer this response, as do more than six-in-ten Muslims in Albania (65%) and Kyrgyzstan (64%).

In sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia, substantial minorities also consider themselves “just a Muslim” (medians of 23% and 18%, respectively). And in three countries – Indonesia (56%), Mali (55%) and Cameroon (40%) – “just a Muslim” is the single most-frequent response when people are queried about their sect. Identification as “just a Muslim” is less prevalent in the Middle East and North Africa (median of 12%) and South Asia (median of 4%).

So it would seem that affiliation with a particular religious sect often depends on nationality also.

In Pew's survey of American Muslims - they found that American Muslims:

American Muslims, like Muslims in other countries, overwhelmingly accept certain core religious beliefs, such as the conviction that there is one God and that Muhammad is His Prophet. However, U.S. Muslims tend to be less observant than Muslims in many countries surveyed when it comes to practices such as daily prayer and mosque attendance. Moreover, American Muslims stand out from other Muslims surveyed on the question of orthodoxy: Muslims in the U.S. are much more inclined to say that Islam is open to multiple understandings, rather than a single, correct interpretation.

Muslim Americans: No Signs of Growth in Alienation or Support for Extremism | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
A 63% majority of Muslim Americans are first-generation immigrants to the U.S., with 45% having arrived in the U.S. since 1990. More than a third of Muslim Americans (37%) were born in the U.S., including 15% who had at least one immigrant parent. Despite the sizable percentage of immigrants, 81% of Muslim Americans are citizens of the U.S., including 70% of those born outside the U.S. This is a much higher rate of citizenship among foreign-born Muslims than among the broader immigrant population in the U.S.; 47% of all foreign-born are citizens.

First-generation Muslim Americans come from a wide range of countries around the world. About four-in-ten (41%) are immigrants from the Middle East or North Africa, while about a quarter (26%) come from South Asian nations including Pakistan (14%), Bangladesh (5%) and India (3%). Others came to the U.S. from sub-Saharan Africa (11%), various countries in Europe (7%), Iran (5%), or other countries (9%).

See post above regarding the use of Capitalism to fund the terrorism.

It's about the funding of the divide and in Capitalist terms. That's the point.

That's why you don't see the divide. They're not blowing each other up here. This is about now using Capitalism against itself.

Nah - I think it's more than that - I just posted some interesting stuff from Pew Research on American Muslims. :)

Taking the govt. out of the political aspect of the Islamic religion, seems to dispel a lot of confrontation of the Islamic religion where politics are involved......

Nah - I think it's more than that - I just posted some interesting stuff from Pew Research on American Muslims. :)

O I agree. It's more than that. But that's a big part of it.

There's always the people who really just want peace, even if they're duped into thinking it's a fundraising for Western style peace.

And I think that taking on Stormfront is far better than saying I don't like it and turning my head.

you don't see a sunni Shi'a divide here because they don't run the government. if they did, you'd see it.

my mid east politics professor would laugh at this thread because it shows a total lack of understanding of the political realities in the muslim world.

you don't see a sunni Shi'a divide here because they don't run the government. if they did, you'd see it.

my mid east politics professor would laugh at this thread because it shows a total lack of understanding of the political realities in the muslim world.

Even then, one side of the divide would likely be a greater proportion. There is no divide in Iran because Iran is ~98% Shia Muslims and it's the same thing with Saudi Arabia and Sunni Muslims.

But in the other countries it really does depend on the population. If the 'divide' is a higher population on one side, then it's more easily seen, again in countries that are a high majority Muslim.

a-SHIA-GENOCIDE-PAKISTAN-640x468.jpg

Pakistan. I could go on with the calls for war.

Now Iraq blames Saudi Arabia for 'promoting genocide..

Iraq blames Saudi Arabia for 'promoting genocide' by backing Sunni militants - News - World - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

2023-06-16T031004Z_1621407059_GM1EA6F1AZY01_RTRMADP_3_IRAQ-SECURITY.JPG

The Shia government in Iraq is blaming Saudi Arabia, not the Sunni side of Iraq that isn't really part of the government, even if they are there.

Interesting article. Why don't we? The author talked to people who attended the Yusuf Mosque in Boston, and represented Muslims from a wide area of the Muslim world from Indonesia, to Iraq, to North Africa and asked them a question: "Why do the different Islamic sects seem to get along here, but - in extreme cases - kill each other back home?" The answers are interesting and, say a lot about our country as well.

Why don't you see the Sunni-Shia divide in the US? | Public Radio International

"In Iraq or in Syria or Yemen or Libya, people are looking for power," said Anwar Faisal who is Palestinian. "And when you have the power you have the wealth, you have loyalty. Our mentality as a Middle Easterns, we're people who love power."

Faisal said many of the Muslim nations remain third world countries without rule of law or effective government institutions. So they're vulnerable to unscrupulous leaders who divide people along religious fault lines.

In the US, he said, people may call themselves liberal or conservative, but they don't care who you call God.

"The people here, the people of America, they believe they're under one God. it doesn't matter what God you're praying for. You can have a temple you have a mosque you have a church. Also, here we're under one flag and that is the key. It makes this country the most beautiful country on the planet," Faisal said.

Yusuf Nasrullah, from Pakistan, adds that a national identity supercedes a religious or tribal one for Muslims in the US.

"They have lived with non-Muslim communities, they can give and exchange and they're like, 'okay, you have your right as a minority, I have mine and we are all contributing.' That is what keeps people humane and civilized in this part of the world," Nasrullah said.

"Why do people get along here when they come to this country, when they immigrate to this country?" asked the mosque's Iman, Ismail Fenni, from Algeria. "I think it has a lot to do with when you're a fish out of your bowl, you do a lot to survive. And I think it's true about anyone, any ethnicity, regardless of religion. You try to make do until you get back to your fishbowl."

Fenni said it may take the Muslim world generations until their different fishbowls are free from religious violence.

But hey, said Riyad Tubaishat from Jordan, America had its own problems back in the day.

"Keep in mind, America, how long it took. We had a big civil war here. Keep in mind most of these countries right now, they're very new to political structure. They didn't have enough time and they have so much outside influence," Tubaishat said.

It's been hundreds of years since the US shook off a colonial power... These men say you gotta give Islamic countries some time to catch up.

Such violence is not unknown in the West. Consider the Catholics vs Protestants in Northern Ireland. That was went on for centuries. We don't hear much about it now.

And this part here: Muslim nations remain third world countries without rule of law or effective government institutions. So they're vulnerable to unscrupulous leaders who divide people along religious fault lines.

When you think about it, with their "anti government" mindset, this is what Republicans want to do here. And the right wing base is vulnerable to Tea Party leaders that prey on their fears. Just the fact they have somehow got the middle class believe that healthcare is a bad thing proves it beyond a shadow of the doubt.

Look at Kentucky. Their health care system, they call "Kynect" and they love it. Polls give it a high majority rating. But they hate Obamacare and want it abolished. What's funny is that Kynect IS Obamacare. Just by a different name.

When Bush invaded Iraq, he obviously didn't know the difference between Sunni and Shiite. He didn't know there majority were Shiite and sympathetic to Iran. Did he stop to study? To understand? To plan? Obviously not. He sent the US in guns blazing. He disbanded the majority Sunni military sending 250,000 armed men home with no jobs and no way to take care of their families. One of the biggest tactical blunders the world has ever seen. And there were historians, those dern "elite" smart people, Muslims and all those others that Republicans refused to listen to. They do it now with climate change. Once they decide what the "truth" is, anything different means "you are with us or with the terrorists".

And Republicans insist they were setting people "free" but practice voter suppression here. The truth is, the GOP are classic bullies. "My way or the highway". You can only hold people hostage for so long. Once you leave and take your guns with you, all hell breaks out. We know that for a fact. The worst part of all, is the GOP trying to blame this on Obama who never was for the invasion in the first place. It proves they haven't learned anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

O I agree. It's more than that. But that's a big part of it.

There's always the people who really just want peace, even if they're duped into thinking it's a fundraising for Western style peace.

And I think that taking on Stormfront is far better than saying
I don't like it and turning my head.

And after you've done it ten times or twenty in numerous threads, when are you going to say your tired of repeating yourself over and over and.....?

Forum List

Back