Why I Am Not A Christian

From your OP:

2. If Christ is the Messiah, then why didn't humanity enjoy a better life after he was here? There were still wars, and poverty, and suffering. I don't think most Christians understand the Jewish concept of a "Messiah". That person is supposed to SAVE us. I'm not feeling the saving bit so much.

Really? Do you know "most Christians"? Since there are millions of them worldwide, I'm going to say you don't. So how do you know that "most" of them don't understand the concept of the Messiah? Just because their version of it doesn't match up to what YOU, PERSONALLY, think it should be? Sweeping generalization AND offensive, self-absorbed insult all rolled into one.

That may have been fun to write, but it simply is not true. I've yet to find many people outside the Jewish faith who have bothered to learn the basics of their religion, and I don't happen to know any christians who don't believe "Jesus saves". I'm so sorry you feel insulted, but that does not change reality.

And what, pray tell, does the handful of people YOU personally know have to do with the price of tea in China? You asked for examples of you generalizing, and projecting your own, personal, narrow acquaintance onto "most" Christians qualifies. The more you talk, the more it qualifies.

And no, you're NOT sorry I'm insulted, so don't bother compounding it by a pretend apology you don't mean. You typed your OP with the express purpose of being offensive to Christians, so don't try to convince yourself you're really a nice person NOW.

4. The notion of a Trinity seems to contradict the first of the Ten Commandments: monotheism. If there is only one God, there cannot be three. It just isn't rational.

I'm quite sure you're unaware - since you've obviously never bothered to learn anything about Christians except what feeds your own sense of self-righteousness and ego - but not all Christians believe in the Trinity. So when you say this prevents you from being a Christian, as opposed to "this is what prevents me from being a Catholic, etc.", you are sweepingly generalizing. Again.

How can anyone be a christian without believing in Jesus as God? This makes no sense.

Who said anything about not believing Jesus is God? I said they don't believe in the Trinity. I will do you the courtesy of pointing you in the direction of the research you should have done before you opened your fat, smug, generalizing puss, but I have no intention of taking you all the way through explaining their beliefs. Go look it up as you should have already done.

Non-Trinitarianist Churches:

Unitarians
Jehovah's Witnesses
Seventh Day Adventists
United Pentecostals
Christian Scientists
Quakers

5. Speaking of rational, thanks for the condemnation of abortion, birth control, sex for Clergy (that paid off so well, didn't it?), people who are not Catholic (or whatever flavor you may be), etc. A special thanks to the "Creationism" nutters who've brought a new age of enlightenment into the classroom.

Since you don't bother to specify a particular group whom you are thanking for these condemnations, and your thread is about your hatred of and bigotry toward Christianity in general, I must assume you are thanking ALL Christians for these things. Unfortunately for your narrow little worldview, not all Christian sects condemn birth control, sex for the clergy, people who aren't part of their own group, or even abortion. I do like, however, that you also manage at this point to sweepingly generalize that anyone who doesn't share your worldview is irrational. Again, two for one. I have to commend your efficiency, even if your tolerance and open-mindedness are sadly lacking.

Fair enough. I should have said "some" not implied "all" christians.

Excuse me if I don't thank you for noticing that you were talking out of your ass.

6. How is it "Christian" to deny food or medical care to a child if their parents won't first agree to convert to your religion? If your religion is so great, won't the people whom you serve eventually get curious about it? Why's it okay to coerce people into relinquishing their culture and their beliefs in favor of yours because you have the economic upper hand?

Obviously - to everyone but a purblind bigot, that is - not all (or even most) Christian sects deny medical care to their members. In addition, despite the fact that you've decided no one could EVER be converted except by force, not all (or even most) Christian sects use coercion, economic or otherwise. Nice generalization, though.

It is true of Catholics. I am surprised it is (claimed) not to be true of other christian sects. In both cases, this only happens in foreign ministries, although here in the US it is not uncommon to be forced to pray before receiving whatever assistance the charity dispenses.

Are you at all aware that Catholics are just one out of many, MANY Christian churches in the world? I realize that you have some serious, deep-seated psychological issues with Catholicism, which would be much better taken up between you and a therapist rather than on an Internet message board, but do try to lift your eyes from your obsession just a bit and notice the bigger picture.

8. How is it possible to reconcile, in your own mind, all the hatred and aggression undertaken in the name of religion with any message of any major religion? You know that it is wrong. How is it okay to commit Major Evil as long as you invoke God's name?

I'm really fascinated by your leap in logic that tells you that all Christians rationalize and justify evil in God's name. More generalization AND offensive insult rolled together. Tell me again why I'm supposed to view your posts as a sincere, rational curiosity and not a bitter, hate-filled attack?

I think "bitter, hate-filled attack" is too strong. But look over history, Cecille...the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the betrayal of Italian Jews, etc. Unless you happen to belong to a christian sect that was invented last week, all the major ones have blood on their hands.

I think "bitter, hate-filled attack" is too mild, but I was in a hurry, and no stronger words were coming to mind at the moment.

I'm not interested in debating your ignorant OP and opinions with you, because that would simply serve to legitimize you and make you feel like you're a serious poster instead of a deranged bigot in serious need of some couch time at the local psych ward. My point is simply that you do nothing BUT generalize, and while I'm at it, to make sure you understand that you are a nasty, petty, hate-filled bigot, whatever lies you want to tell yourself.

9. How can you seriously believe that a man in a red jump suit "tempts" you? Why can't you just accept responsibility for the evil you do? You're human -- no one has to tempt you. You're full of evil, selfish impulses and can only control them through the wonders of social conditioning, like the rest of us.

By "man in a red jump suit", I assume you are invoking a child's rendering of Satan. So aside from offensively denigrating our beliefs by expressing them on a puerile level, you have ALSO generalized the belief in Satan as an actual, sentient being to all Christians, despite the fact that not all Christian sects believe that. Congratulations.

Alrighty then. According to you, there are christians who do not believe in the Trinity, who don't believe Jesus is God and who don't believe in Satan. Pardon me for not realizing this.

Not just "according to me", twit. According to anyone who isn't blinded by mental disease or defect and has actually bothered to acquaint himself with the reality of the wide diversity of Christian denominations and doctrines.

Once again, I will not do the research for you that you should have done before opening your flapping piehole, but I will point you in the right direction.

Unitarians
Some Lutherans
Some Anglicans/Episcopalians

Those are just actual churches teaching that Satan is a metaphor (The Lutheran, Anglican, and Episcopalian churches officially adhere to a doctrine of literalism on the subject). In addition, many individual Christians, whatever their church's official doctrine, believe that Satan is merely a metaphor.

10. Why do you need a "promise of Heaven" to do what you know is right? Don't you have a conscience? When you do the wrong thing, don't you feel that?

I see. So ALL Christians do the right thing simply for the "promise of Heaven". Rude, offensive, AND sweepingly general.

Why's it rude or offensive? Are you saying there are also christians who don't believe in an after-life?

You seriously have to ask me what's offensive about what you said? Seriously?!

By the way, I don't belong to any organized religion but I singled out Christians because I have been treated to their irrationality somewhat more often. No Muslim or Jew or Buddist, etc. has ever prosletized to me.

All Christians don't prosletize [sic]. If Muslims don't prosletize [sic], how do you suppose they get so many prison converts, genius? Maybe they're not prosletizing [sic] you simply because you don't know any, ever consider that?

WTF is up with all the [sic], Cecille? I have no misspelled words in that sentence.

The word is "proselytize", not "prosletize".

Anyway, what difference does it make whether Muslims proletize to prison inmates? How does that alter the truth of what I wrote? BTW, Jews not only do not proletize, they discourage conversion.

Um, it makes a difference because you act as though Christians are the only ones who do it. The truth is, you just don't have a very wide or varied acquaintance, but can't seem to resist projecting it onto all of humanity as "the way things are".

I can assure you that as long as I'm alive, any generalization as to the desire of Christians to convert you and save your soul will be false. I'm sure it makes me a bad Christian and I will have to answer to God for it, but I find myself really not caring one way or the other.

Is this a long winded way of telling me that you hope I go to hell? How completely charming. Goodness knows, the example you've set on this thread should be attractive to many....if justifying hate and anger is their aim.

No, telling you to go to Hell would imply that I care one way or another where you go or what you do, and I frankly don't.

You clearly still flatter yourself that my aim is to convert you and other like-minded, smug jackasses touting yourselves as the pinnacle of knowledge and sophistication around here. Please take this opportunity to get the smuck over yourself. God has many nice, friendly followers who will be glad to smile and pretend along with you that you're a good person despite all evidence to the contrary. He also has people like me, who are built to give you the good, hard shot of reality to the ass when you need it, and to defend the nice, friendly folks who can't do it for themselves.

If there's a problem with me acting according to my God-given nature, then it is for HIM to address it. It most assuredly is not for the likes of YOU to even CONSIDER doing. The immensity of your sheer GALL in presuming to tell me how to be something you've already declared that you are not is staggering. How do you fit that bloated, inflamed ego through doors?

:clap2: Awesome job!

The Op lays out some of the reasons I find christianity impossible to accept. You choose not to address them, but rather to tell me I didn't write it nicely enough. Fair enough, I've been told before I'm not tender sometimes. Okie-dokie; now that we have all staked out our morally superior positions, let's talk.

Do you agree with Cecille that some branches of christianity reject the Trinity, Jesus as God and an after-life? Because I happen to think she might be wrong about those things.

Madeline

You have every right to criticize Christianity and to lay out all the reasons why it isn't your path. It's the way you're going about doing this that has everyone in an uproar.

sky

Last edited:
Alrighty then. I feel thoroughly spanked for my bad manners.

Though I suspect no matter how I phrased it, an Op saying "I find some of this ridiculous" would give offense to some.

Why do you have to comment on the 'ridiculousness' of other's beliefs in order to talk about your own?

Maybe you can send me a fucking list of pre-approved words that I can use to try and express myself, Newby.

Apparently anything is preferable to you to discussing the substance of what I or any other non-christian has said on this thread. Why is that, I wonder?

Maybe you can send me a fucking list of pre-approved words that I can use to try and express myself, Newby.

Apparently anything is preferable to you to discussing the substance of what I or any other non-christian has said on this thread. Why is that, I wonder?

Maybe because nothing of substance has been said. Calling other's beliefs 'ridiculous', calling them 'nutters', implying they're stupid, etc... isn't going to win you any friends. I think you got just what you wanted out of your bashing op.

Madeline

You have every right to criticize Christianity and to lay out all the reasons why it isn't your path. It's the way you're going about doing this that has everyone in an uproar.

sky

Well thankies, Sky Dancer. I'm trying to be all ass-kissy but t'aint coming out right, I guess.

It's coming out just as you planned and you know it. You baited your hook, I hope your fishing expedition was successful, perhaps one of these fishing trips will finally teach you something, but I'm doubtful.

I have not called any particular person a nutter, Newby. Where is all this ultra-sensitivity coming from anyway? The whole thread is about why some people reject christianity -- when you began reading were you surprised it happened sometimes because the beliefs did not ring true for them?

This all feels like an elaborate dance around the issue and I have to wonder why the topic at hand is not being discussed.

Madeline

sky

Well thankies, Sky Dancer. I'm trying to be all ass-kissy but t'aint coming out right, I guess.

If you want respect for your point of view, be respectful to others. You seem to forget that ones spiritual path is dearly held by devotees.

Last edited:
If there's a problem with me acting according to my God-given nature, then it is for HIM to address it.
Here is demonstrated another reason why I could never be Christian. The attitude that some Christians have that they are not responsible for their actions. That God made them the way they are and being his children, so they have an excuse for their immaturity.

Madeline

sky

It's coming out just as you planned and you know it. You baited your hook, I hope your fishing expedition was successful, perhaps one of these fishing trips will finally teach you something, but I'm doubtful.

I didn't write the Op as some sort of master manipulation, in hopes of learning something. I wrote it sincerely and hoped it'd open a dialogue -- with anyone. You seem to think that if I am not persuaded of the error of my ways and return to the flock, I have not learned.

Personally, I think your post is more offensive than anything I have written, but since Sky Dancer is on me about my manners, I'll take the hit.

So lemme see if I understand you correctly. Christians must be accommodated to such a degree that non-christians should not even voice their beliefs?

Maybe you can learn to voice your beliefs without bashing others in the process? Perhaps that what people take offense too, not that you're voicing your beliefs.

Okay, give us a demonstration of how a non Christian should, according to your rules, express their honest reaction of repugnance at the veneration of crucifixes.

Madeline

sky
I see that a bunch of people are in an uproar but it seems to me Madeline has bent over backwards and been quite patient with them in an attempt to engage them in genuine debate.

Madeline

sky
I see that a bunch of people are in an uproar but it seems to me Madeline has bent over backwards and been quite patient with them in an attempt to engage them in genuine debate.

I guess I see it differently, Anguille. Madeline has said some things that are like waving red flags in front of bulls. I was out of town for a few days and looking forward to catching up on this thread and I couldn't believe what's happened to it.

Last edited:

Kudos to you for trying. My past experiences with Newby have always ended up in her crying victim and accusing people of dishonesty and Christian bashing. I have begun to think she intentionally tries to derail discussions into dysfunctional debate due to some sort of emotional need she has to feel attacked so as to feel some sort of identification with Christ on the cross.

Madeline

sky

I guess I see it differently, Anguille. Madeline has said some things that are like waving red flags in front of bulls. I was out of town for a few days and looking forward to catching up on this thread and I couldn't believe what's happened to it.
Waving red flags? Are you sure you don't have Madeline confused with ScurvyDelight? :lol:

So lemme see if I understand you correctly. Christians must be accommodated to such a degree that non-christians should not even voice their beliefs?

Maybe you can learn to voice your beliefs without bashing others in the process? Perhaps that what people take offense too, not that you're voicing your beliefs.

Okay, give us a demonstration of how a non Christian should, according to your rules, express their honest reaction of repugnance at the veneration of crucifixes.

You can express it any way you like, your feelings on Christianity and Christians, while completely wrong, have been clearly stated. I could personally care less how you feel about any of it. My point is that if you hate christianity and want to bash it, then do so honestly and don't hide behind the 'victim' status that you falsely create to hide behind. I'll call it like I see it, if you don't like that then don't create threads meant to bash other people and their beliefs. Don't pretend that you want some kind of an 'honest dialogue so that you can better understand where people are coming from'. The 'shock value' of your hateful statements is now gone, you'll have to come up with something new, or pick new victims. I wouldn't discuss any of my beliefs or why I hold them if you paid me a million dollars. You disrespect them, you insult them, you have no honest desire to truely understand anything, so why would anyone waste their time at this point?

Forum List

Back