Why I Don't Believe

One thing that has always irked me about Christianity is it's binary nature. It's all about good vs. evil. I've never met anyone who was only good or only evil, even Hitler loved his dog. I've certainly met people I've judged to be better or worse than the average but it seems bizarre that God would draw some arbitrary line along the human spectrum and say this side goes to heaven, that side goes to hell.

It is even more bizarre to me that Christianity says that you only have to repent on your death bed and you'll get a pass for a lifetime of evil. You can live your whole life as a good Christian but if you waver for one day and get hit by a bus, you're off to hell.

How is this system just?

what's arbitrary about "refuses to believe I exist" versus "Chooses to believe in me".....

It's arbitrary because both groups can be made up of good people that have empathy for their fellow human beings and do their part to make the world a better place. Does Ghandi deserve to burn in Hell? Does Carl Sagan? I could keep going but my point has been made.

you still seem to be confused.....entrance to heaven isn't granted on the basis of how good you are......Ghandi and Sagan, if they refuse to believe in God, end up where people who refuse to believe in God end up.....nothing at all arbitrary about it......black, white.....cut, dried.....yinged, yanged.....

One thing that has always irked me about Christianity is it's binary nature. It's all about good vs. evil. I've never met anyone who was only good or only evil, even Hitler loved his dog. I've certainly met people I've judged to be better or worse than the average but it seems bizarre that God would draw some arbitrary line along the human spectrum and say this side goes to heaven, that side goes to hell.

It is even more bizarre to me that Christianity says that you only have to repent on your death bed and you'll get a pass for a lifetime of evil. You can live your whole life as a good Christian but if you waver for one day and get hit by a bus, you're off to hell.

How is this system just?

what's arbitrary about "refuses to believe I exist" versus "Chooses to believe in me".....

God has chosen one sin from among the infinite sins man is guilty of. And which one did he choose? Murder? Rape? Child abuse? When stacked up against those others it seems petty and arbitrary to me.

it is the ultimate disobedience......which would your mom have considered the worst thing you could do.....steal cookies out of the cookie jar?......kill the family cat?.....turn away from her as if she didn't exist and never speak to her again for the rest of her life?.....

God has chosen one sin from among the infinite sins man is guilty of. And which one did he choose? Murder? Rape? Child abuse? When stacked up against those others it seems petty and arbitrary to me.

it is the ultimate disobedience......which would your mom have considered the worst thing you could do.....steal cookies out of the cookie jar?......kill the family cat?.....turn away from her as if she didn't exist and never speak to her again for the rest of her life?.....

Your example is very strange considering the fact that in your Bible, Jesus blew his Mother off, over and over. Remember the wedding feast, where he said "woman, what have I to do with you? Jesus also told the disciples to "send her away, you are my family now." The reason Mary was there to begin with, was to warn Jesus that he was going to be restrained because the people thought he had gone crazy.

Is God like Mommy Dearest? I can't imagine telling my kids, you will love me unconditionally, no matter how much undeserved suffering I inflict on you, or I will make the rest of your life miserable. That's love?

Is God like Mommy Dearest? I can't imagine telling my kids, you will love me unconditionally, no matter how much undeserved suffering I inflict on you, or I will make the rest of your life miserable. That's love?

LOL, Mommy Dearest.

neither of you could answer the question?.....I didn't think it was that hard....

I thought I had but my mother, and most parents I believe, want their kids to be happy. They also want them to find a spouse and raise a family, do good for others and generally make them proud. They would love to be loved but that's not their primary goal.

neither of you could answer the question?.....I didn't think it was that hard....

I thought I had but my mother, and most parents I believe, want their kids to be happy. They also want them to find a spouse and raise a family, do good for others and generally make them proud. They would love to be loved but that's not their primary goal.

Ever feel like you are talking to a wall!? Nothing gets in.
I can't even get past the basic definitions of words with this guy.

Also, I agree with you. If my children, for whatever reason, decided to never speak to me again, I would still want them to be happy and have the best life they can.

Also, I agree with you. If my children, for whatever reason, decided to never speak to me again, I would still want them to be happy and have the best life they can.

You mean you wouldn't douse them with gasoline and throw a match? :D

Lol.............I don't THINK so.

I think the analogy of a parent and a god is flawed anyway.

A person not believing in god = hell.............is not analogous to...........a child hating or never wanting to see their parent again = viciously punishing that child.

It comes back around to the belief problem.

A child doesn't have to blindly believe in their parent. They don't have to read in a book how much their parents love them. They actually exist. They can directly communicate and discuss a problem.

You can do any of that with god. All you can do is believe or not.

And do it again and again and again and again... For all eternity. That will show them how much I love them..

And do it again and again and again and again... For all eternity. That will show them how much I love them..

THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO GET INTO HELL=REJECT GOD'S LOVE,MERCY,FORGIVNESS your choice and you can't then try to blame GOD for YOUR choice!!

One thing that has always irked me about Christianity is it's binary nature. It's all about good vs. evil ...

It's arbitrary because both groups can be made up of good people that have empathy for their fellow human beings and do their part to make the world a better place. Does Ghandi deserve to burn in Hell? Does Carl Sagan? I could keep going but my point has been made.

- it's binary nature. It's all about good vs. evil ... Does Ghandi deserve to burn in Hell? Does Carl Sagan?

maybe not everyone will succeed and simply perish, even those two - did they accomplish Admission to the Everlasting before their physiology expired ? it would not seem so by their still searching at their death.

admission is not duality but a complete Triumph of one over the other, good vs evil as judged by those before having accomplished the task already residents of the Everlasting - and from whom our mission was begun. Ruler(s) of the Everlasting.

Forum List

Back