Why is jesus not a jew in churches?

Jesus was a semetic person, aka arabic.

The "pictures" that portray him as a blond blue eyed white man are example of how wrong religion is and the racism and arrogance of humans in their worship of their gods.

I got a whipping for asking about this in sunday school one time.
Question nothing in church is how I was raised.
btw it is the same denomination as Palin belongs to.

This is one reason why I do not attend a chuch. I am a believer but I will not attend a place where they put down those who want to truly learn the Word of the Lord.

Very few churches discourage or forbid any questioning. I attend a wonderful church in which questions are not only allowed but encouraged. In my opinion that is the norm rather than the exception. I have found it to be the case in those fundamentalist holy roller churches all the way to the most high churches I have attended. Certainly your salvation is not dependent on attendance at any formal organized church, but you deny yourself support and strength by not meeting with other believers.

In my opinion, any belief that cannot stand up under questioning or close scrutiny is most likely a flawed belief. And it is also my opinion that those who do not allow questioning of their beliefs--whether in matters of faith, social policy, or politics--are coming from a spirit of fear and uncertainty much more than out of conviction and certainty.

I have the same experience, Fox, and I've also never heard of or been too a chruch that did not encourage questions or did not encourage self education through a variety of means. Well said.

He wasn't a Levite ergo he was not eligible to be a ORDAINED priest.

Rabbi means teacher.

I presume that anybody who was learned could be called that.

I don't want to sound critical because I truly appreciate that you even know there is such a thing as a levite. But a small correction... levites were the assitants to the priests. the kohans were the priest class.

Now it is my turn to be taught I think. :)

My understanding is that the Kohan were chosen from among the Levite Tribe and were assigned the responsibilities of the Priesthood. So all Kohan are Levite but not all Levite are Kohanin which, if I'm remembering the history correctly, the title of Kohan was first assigned to Aaron, brother of Moses, as an 'everlasting covenant'. And it was indeed the Kohan who performed the priestly duties in the Tabernacle during the years of wandering in the desert.

From your perspective, how far off am I?

This is one reason why I do not attend a chuch. I am a believer but I will not attend a place where they put down those who want to truly learn the Word of the Lord.

Very few churches discourage or forbid any questioning. I attend a wonderful church in which questions are not only allowed but encouraged. In my opinion that is the norm rather than the exception. I have found it to be the case in those fundamentalist holy roller churches all the way to the most high churches I have attended. Certainly your salvation is not dependent on attendance at any formal organized church, but you deny yourself support and strength by not meeting with other believers.

In my opinion, any belief that cannot stand up under questioning or close scrutiny is most likely a flawed belief. And it is also my opinion that those who do not allow questioning of their beliefs--whether in matters of faith, social policy, or politics--are coming from a spirit of fear and uncertainty much more than out of conviction and certainty.

I have the same experience, Fox, and I've also never heard of or been too a church that did not encourage questions or did not encourage self education through a variety of means. Well said.

:) Some of the folks who think Christians never question anything should be in one of my theology classes. We always part friends and go for coffee afterward, but sometimes I think we're going to have to apply for restraining orders on some of our more animated members. We won't allow anybody to say unequivocably that yes, THIS is how it is or was, but always leave the door open for new understandings.

Soon, someone will be arguing that the Church ENCOURAGED Martin Luther, and has never excommunicated anyone for questioning church doctrine.

I don't feel like typing.

Levite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moses and his brother, Aaron, were both Levites. The descendants of Aaron, who was the first kohen gadol, high priest, of Israel, were designated as the priestly class, the kohanim. As such, kohanim comprise a family dynasty within the tribe of Levi, and thus all kohanim are Levites, but not all Levites are kohanim.

Because he WAS a trained Rabbi. Jesus was trained like any Jewish man.
The Bible is full of this. Try reading it as it is a great book.

My own understanding is that he was called 'rabbi' in the sense that he was a "teacher", not in the sense that he was ordained.

Rabbi means teacher.

But he was ordained a Priest to the Higher Priesthood.

My understanding is that you can gave a pastor who just calls himself a pastor because he heads a church or you can have one that did the schooling and got the diploma.

Im sure you can. But either way they havent been called of God

Soon, someone will be arguing that the Church ENCOURAGED Martin Luther, and has never excommunicated anyone for questioning church doctrine.

Nobody was ever excommunicated from the RCC for questioning church doctrine. In the seminaries, universities (that were all church based), and in the church councils, there were many heated debates to arrive at what would be accepted doctrine. But in the middle ages, many were excommunicated for preaching or teaching what was considered to be heresy. But then humankind has evolved on an intellectual level in many ways ranging from politics, national polity, social issues, economic issues, class consciousness, art, science, and religion since the middle ages or even since the 18th and 19th centuries. One can hardly be intellectually honest and condemn the RCC for being typical in its time if all the other components of that age are also not accused and/or condemned.

And no, I am not and have never been Roman Catholic, but I have worked for them at one time. :)

Why do Christians obsess over non-issues like the appearance and racial identity of the man they deify?

Rabbi means teacher.

I don't want to sound critical because I truly appreciate that you even know there is such a thing as a levite. But a small correction... levites were the assitants to the priests. the kohans were the priest class.

My understanding is that the Kohan were chosen from among the Levite Tribe and were assigned the responsibilities of the Priesthood. So all Kohan are Levite but not all Levite are Kohanin which, if I'm remembering the history correctly, the title of Kohan was first assigned to Aaron, brother of Moses, as an 'everlasting covenant'. And it was indeed the Kohan who performed the priestly duties in the Tabernacle during the years of wandering in the desert.

Well done. :clap2:

see Marc's link for the history... :clap2:

Thanks for the affirmation. I've been writing and teaching JudeoChristian history for years, but I am constantly revising the fine details and try to include as many different perspectives as possible. I figure we all have bits and pieces of the real deal on this stuff but none of us have it all totally figured out. :)

Thanks for the affirmation. I've been writing and teaching JudeoChristian history for years, but I am constantly revising the fine details and try to include as many different perspectives as possible. I figure we all have bits and pieces of the real deal on this stuff but none of us have it all totally figured out. :)

well, i was raised in a kosher home where we went out for chinese food every sunday night. lol.. so i know the basics, but there's a lot i don't know. but the subject of religion always fascinates me.

well, i was raised in a kosher home where we went out for chinese food every sunday night. lol.. so i know the basics, but there's a lot i don't know. but the subject of religion always fascinates me.

Me too. I have never ever gotten bored with it. True story: some time back somebody in my class asked how an orthodox Jew would know the Sabbath had begun if he had no time piece on a cloudy day? I had no clue so I went to some on line Jewish chat rooms to ask. I was treated rather badly there because I was perceived as a meanspirited Christian trolling their rooms and could not get an answer. But apparently one kind hearted soul, an elderly gentleman, decided to trust me and sent me an e-mail to explain that 'the Sabbath began when supper was on the table." I liked that answer. :)

(I wrote back to thank him and he and I communicated and discussed things for several years before he died late last year before last.)

Last edited:

Me too. I have never ever gotten bored with it. True story: some time back somebody in my class asked how an orthodox Jew would know the Sabbath had begun if he had no time piece on a cloudy day? I had no clue so I went to some on line Jewish chat rooms to ask. I was treated rather badly there because I was perceived as a meanspirited Christian trolling their rooms and could not get an answer. But apparently one kind hearted soul, an elderly gentleman, decided to trust me and sent me an e-mail to explain that 'the Sabbath began when supper was on the table." I liked that answer. :)

(I wrote back to thank him and he and I communicated and discussed things for several years before he died late last year before last.)

No time piece on a cloudy day? Shabbat (the Sabbath) begins at sundown on Friday, and goes until sundown on Saturday.

I think you can tell when it's dark even if the sky IS cloudy.

No time piece on a cloudy day? Shabbat (the Sabbath) begins at sundown on Friday, and goes until sundown on Saturday.

I think you can tell when it's dark even if the sky IS cloudy.
:lol: Yep.

How does a Christian know it's Sunday without a calendar? :lol:

Forum List

Back