🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why We Are Not Making Progress Against Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrote this a couple years ago...didn't get much traction...

The past is prologue.

It's a classic "sins of the father" scenario.

Slavery to Jim Crow to Separate but Equal...segregation thwarted assimilation, and now instead of regional American cultures that blend together at the edges, African-Americans have...thru segregationist policies...developed their own distinct culture with sharp and distinct boundaries within the older regional culture.

And it is literally the inequities of our father upon black slaves and later free black men (and women) that are being visited upon us...the generations that followed.

How can we unring that bell? Appalachia has maintained it's own distinct culture since the dawn of the nation, despite the more "sophisticated" [ :lol: ] Northeast's attempts to quash it. As has Massachusetts and NYC and Virginia and the South and the Ozarks etc. Once a culture is established, it's self perpetuating.

So the real question is...here we are, now what?

I Apologize for Slavery of Blacks

Slavery was not the only sin or was the only issue. Apologizing doesn't do it when you owe 10 trillion dollars in lost earnings and make excuses a to why you won't pay.

I didn't apologize. I never owned a slave.

There will never be one thin dime of reparations in either of our lifetimes.

Like I said slavery was not the only issue and you are watching white America crumble in your faces because you have chosen to break a spiritual law that says if you have slaves pay them after 7 years. Not only have you whites not done it, you gloat about how you won't. So I'll just sit and watch white land crumble without remorse just like you guys have refused to pay us the money you owe us without remorse. The laws you guys have broke are required to be followed. There is no negotiating the fine levied if you don't. So I will be getting my retirement checks direct deposited and watch the misery white racists will endure as you pay the fine. And in the end, you will be apologizing.

That's a pretty threatening, and hostile comment from you directed towards White people

Nope, I've threatened no one.

LOL, maybe because Asian Indians since the 1970's became the #1 earners in the U.S.A despite their dark skin color, but African Americans have in general stood in neutral.

Don't blame us for being perceptive, and logical.

Actually that's not perceptive or logical.

A piece from New York Magazine's Andrew Sullivan over the weekend ended with an old, well-worn trope: Asian-Americans, with their "solid two-parent family structures," are a shining example of how to overcome discrimination. An essay that began by imagining why Democrats feel sorry for Hillary Clinton — and then detoured to President Trump's policies — drifted to this troubling ending:

"Today, Asian-Americans are among the most prosperous, well-educated, and successful ethnic groups in America. What gives? It couldn't possibly be that they maintained solid two-parent family structures, had social networks that looked after one another, placed enormous emphasis on education and hard work, and thereby turned false, negative stereotypes into true, positive ones, could it? It couldn't be that all whites are not racists or that the American dream still lives?"

Sullivan's piece, rife with generalizations about a group as vastly diverse as Asian-Americans, rightfully raised hackles. Not only inaccurate, his piece spreads the idea that Asian-Americans as a group are monolithic, even though parsing data by ethnicity reveals a host of disparities; for example, Bhutanese-Americans have far higher rates of poverty than other Asian populations, like Japanese-Americans. And at the root of Sullivan's pernicious argument is the idea that black failure and Asian success cannot be explained by inequities and racism, and that they are one and the same; this allows a segment of white America to avoid any responsibility for addressing racism or the damage it continues to inflict.

"Sullivan's comments showcase a classic and tenacious conservative strategy," Janelle Wong, the director of Asian American Studies at the University of Maryland, College Park, said in an email. This strategy, she said, involves "1) ignoring the role that selective recruitment of highly educated Asian immigrants has played in Asian American success followed by 2) making a flawed comparison between Asian Americans and other groups, particularly Black Americans, to argue that racism, including more than two centuries of black enslavement, can be overcome by hard work and strong family values."

Read more:

Since the end of World War II, many white people have used Asian-Americans and their perceived collective success as a racial wedge. The effect? Minimizing the role racism plays in the persistent struggles of other racial/ethnic minority groups — especially black Americans.

'Model Minority' Myth Again Used As A Racial Wedge Between Asians And Blacks

The past is prologue.

Slavery to Jim Crow to Separate but Equal...segregation thwarted assimilation, and now instead of regional American cultures that blend together at the edges, African-Americans have...thru segregationist policies...developed their own distinct culture with sharp and distinct boundaries within the older regional culture.

And it is literally the inequities of our father upon black slaves and later free black men (and women) that are being visited upon us...the generations that followed.

How can we unring that bell? Appalachia has maintained it's own distinct culture since the dawn of the nation, despite the more "sophisticated" [ :lol: ] Northeast's attempts to quash it. As has Massachusetts and NYC and Virginia and the South and the Ozarks etc. Once a culture is established, it's self perpetuating.

Slavery was not the only sin or was the only issue. Apologizing doesn't do it when you owe 10 trillion dollars in lost earnings and make excuses a to why you won't pay.

Whites owned slaves and if you are white it falls on you.
^What a maroon....

The past is prologue.

Bull shit. My ancestors fought and died to free the slaves. I have never owned a slave nor has any living Americans.

So you can F yourself.

How's get off your whiney azz, and get a job sound then?

~S~

I've heard them all sparky, you've got to do better than this. But you are dumb so you can't.

The past is prologue.

So do you still say Jews aren’t white?

In 2018, it's time we become better informed. Some of the things I read in here makes no sense. Zero nada, zilch.

At this point, the whole race thing is over . . . it doesn’t matter anymore. We’ve transcended it. Now we have a black president, so clearly we are not racist,” stated one young woman after the first election of Barack Obama as president of the United States. In the euphoria of Obama’s first election, many Americans—on the left, right, and center—agreed that America had become post-racial. Today, many on the left recognize that America is still struggling with racism. But what liberals may not fully appreciate is the degree to which the rest of America is still deep within a post-racial haze.

New research from social psychologists at Yale and Northwestern Universities reveals that Americans—especially rich, white Americans—greatly overestimate how much racial progress we have made toward economic equality. Averaging across 5 economic measures, the researchers find that Americans estimate that we have made about 25 percent more progress toward black-white economic equality than we actually have made.

Worse still, Americans are most inaccurate on the most important economic measure—wealth. Scholars have come to recognize that wealth—the value of assets minus debts—is the most important measure of a family’s overall economic well-being. The social psychologists find that Americans overestimate our progress toward black-white wealth equality by about 80 percent. Today, for every dollar of wealth that whites have, blacks have only a few cents. "

" For those who believe that black people are already equal with white people, any policy that seeks to address anti-black discrimination looks like an attempt to give blacks an advantage over whites.
Many Americans, particularly Republicans, believe that today there is more discrimination against white people than against black people.

Because so many Americans are not grounded in the reality of American racism, the call for a “conversation on race” is a bad idea. We need Americans to go on fact-finding missions on racism, not try to engage in conversation when there is no agreement on the basic facts.

We have to be aware that because we are a segregated society, many white people learn about black people from the media. Some white people see prominent, highly successful black people in movies and on television and assume that those individuals are indicative of the economic standing of African Americans. Also, there is right-wing media that consciously tries to mislead white Americans about racism and to foster a sense of white victimization. We have to find ways to penetrate Americans’ information bubbles. "

This is America to hear most of you tell it, we should be way beyond this.
Yet another racist hateful thread from our leading forum racist.

Yeah...Winnie Mandela...how many white people have you necklaced today?

The truth is not hate. But you are dumb so this is expected.

So gippy why do you ask about Winnie ,Mandela? How about the Afrikaners who killed blacks for over 100 years?
Because I suspect if you had the power, you would happily necklace me and others you find unacceptable.

What does that make you?

You might want to stop suspecting. The Afrikaners she necklaced were slaughtering blacks. So while you choose to miss that reality to suppose things, I should understand that you can't do any better because you are dumb.
Yeah...she was all about peace and justice in your small mind. CRAZY!

Have you ever wondered why her husband dumped her crazy ass?

The Afrikaners she necklaced were slaughtering blacks. So while you choose to miss that reality, I should understand that you can't do any better because you are dumb.

Yet another racist hateful thread from our leading forum racist.

Yeah...Winnie Mandela...how many white people have you necklaced today?

So gippy why do you ask about Winnie ,Mandela? How about the Afrikaners who killed blacks for over 100 years?
Because I suspect if you had the power, you would happily necklace me and others you find unacceptable.

What does that make you?

You might want to stop suspecting. The Afrikaners she necklaced were slaughtering blacks. So while you choose to miss that reality to suppose things, I should understand that you can't do any better because you are dumb.

The Afrikaners she necklaced were slaughtering blacks. So while you choose to miss that reality, I should understand that you can't do any better because you are dumb.
Doubt it. She was a murdering nut job. I hope you aren't one too.

Nobody alive today owes you money for what other people did in the past to people who aren’t you.
Nice to know it’s a handout you’re really pushing for though :wink:

You are paying Native Americans right now for what other people did in the past and to people who are not them.

Are you willing to move to a trailer park in New Mexico,

Are you?

Why would I want to move to a reservation? My team won.

3d6b3aea2900173ac40fcb0ac9ab73b5--film-western-john-wayne.jpg

Your team stole, because what happened was not a sport.

Of course it’s a sport.

chief_wahoo.jpg

The past is prologue.

Bull shit. My ancestors fought and died to free the slaves. I have never owned a slave nor has any living Americans.

So you can F yourself.
“My family never owned slaves” is something you hear White Americans say. Although not racist in itself it has the effect of turning a blind eye towards racism.

The statement by itself is true for most whites: even back in slave days in 1860 fewer than 2% of whites owned slaves! Slaves cost way too much for most people and in half the country it was against the law. On top of that millions of whites came to America long after the slaves were freed, like most Italians and Jews.

The trouble with the statement is not its truth but how it is used: to cut white people off from history. When they say black people live in the past and need to give the slave thing a rest, they are making the very same argument: history does not matter, it somehow magically does not affect anyone alive now. If we are affected at all by history it is only through our families, nothing else.

That is wishful thinking. America’s slave past still profoundly affects its present. Most white people, it seems, refuse to see that: it makes them uncomfortable. By saying “My family never owned slaves” they are trying to buy themselves a pass from American history, both past and present. As if their family had been living on some Robinson Crusoe island all these years – and still does.

Your ancestors did not have to own slaves to benefit – either then or now. If anything the opposite seems to be true: most descendants of slave owners seem to be black, not white, like the descendants of Thomas Jefferson. Most blacks are part white and most of that white comes from slave owners.

A white American saying “My family never owned slaves” is like the daughter of a Mafia boss wearing her diamonds and pearls and saying she never murdered anyone or shook anyone down for money. As if the diamonds and pearls fell from the sky.

The rest.

“My family never owned slaves”

What does that make you?

If you doubt it, then you are dumber than I thought.

What does that make you?

Yes...all blacks are wonderful and all whites are pigs, racists, and Nazis. We know.

The past is prologue.

So basically you want a check in the mail every month being black?

Nope. We are owed for human rights violations committed against us by whites.

So, my Polish family who came to the U.S.A in the 20th century owe you for what happened before the 19th century Civil War?

Your Polish family is payng for what happened to Native Americans before the Civil War.

The past is prologue.

So you can F yourself.
“My family never owned slaves” is something you hear White Americans say. Although not racist in itself it has the effect of turning a blind eye towards racism.

The statement by itself is true for most whites: even back in slave days in 1860 fewer than 2% of whites owned slaves! Slaves cost way too much for most people and in half the country it was against the law. On top of that millions of whites came to America long after the slaves were freed, like most Italians and Jews.

The trouble with the statement is not its truth but how it is used: to cut white people off from history. When they say black people live in the past and need to give the slave thing a rest, they are making the very same argument: history does not matter, it somehow magically does not affect anyone alive now. If we are affected at all by history it is only through our families, nothing else.

That is wishful thinking. America’s slave past still profoundly affects its present. Most white people, it seems, refuse to see that: it makes them uncomfortable. By saying “My family never owned slaves” they are trying to buy themselves a pass from American history, both past and present. As if their family had been living on some Robinson Crusoe island all these years – and still does.

Your ancestors did not have to own slaves to benefit – either then or now. If anything the opposite seems to be true: most descendants of slave owners seem to be black, not white, like the descendants of Thomas Jefferson. Most blacks are part white and most of that white comes from slave owners.

A white American saying “My family never owned slaves” is like the daughter of a Mafia boss wearing her diamonds and pearls and saying she never murdered anyone or shook anyone down for money. As if the diamonds and pearls fell from the sky.

The rest.

My house, car, and tv weren’t made by slaves either. Are we cool?

The past is prologue.

So you can F yourself.

The rest.

You are a slave right?

Well then, get to work mowing my lawn.

Yes...all blacks are wonderful and all whites are pigs, racists, and Nazis. We know.

Whites did slaughter blacks in South Africa for over 100 years and no matter how many tantrums like the one you just posted, that's the way it was. So instead pf ignoring what whites have done which was worse than Winnie defending her homeland, you need t just face the truth and change. Whites should not have done the things they dd. So you'll just have to man up.

So you can F yourself.

The rest.

You are a slave right?

Well then, get to work mowing my lawn.

The stupidity knows no bounds.

Whites did slaughter blacks in South Africa for over 100 years and no matter how many tantrums like the one you just posted, that's the way it was. So instead pf ignoring what whites have done which was worse than Winnie defending her homeland, you need t just face the truth and change. Whites should not have done the things they dd. So you'll just have to man up.
No...a sane person (not you, ME) knows that both were bad. You being insane, can't admit the truth about your side, but I can. Thank me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back