Cue the Outrage?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wondering if we can anticipate what reaction will come after tomorrow's visit to Pearl Harbor. If posting history here is any indication, some folks are going to be pissed at something for some reason.

No one should apologize unless any of those responsible are still alive.
Nations have a collective life of their own.

When you represent a nation, you represent that collective national life.

Unlike Germany, our former enemy, Japan, has been largely let off the hook, with respect to apologies to those nations whom it attacked, except for a pro forma exercise or two over the decades since the end of WWII...

It would not hurt, and it would very probably help, on the international front, for Japan to publicly and sincerely and profoundly apologize to the United States for the attack at Pearl Harbor.

Trouble is, it would not go over very well domestically, in Japan itself, from their Prime Minister's political perspective.

Last edited:
No one should apologize unless any of those responsible are still alive.

Unlike Germany, our former enemy, Japan, has been largely let off the hook, with respect to apologies to those nations whom it attacked, .....

Wrong.
What part and why?

Japan has not been "let off the hook," and has apologized many, many times.
I missed the part where you parsed the quote - your meaning is obvious now.

Apologies are, IMHO, meaningless. I could care less what one nation apologizes for or does not apologize for and have no idea why others seem to seek it. Japan took an opportunity and then faced the consequences when we firebombed half their nation into oblivion.

...Japan has not been "let off the hook," and has apologized many, many times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan

Japan has, indeed, been let off the hook, to a very large extent, throughout the 70 years and more since the end of WWII.

They do not teach (and have not taught) their young about their heavy responsibility for their national policies and behaviors in the first half of the 20th...

Expressions of sorrow or remorse or repentance are not the same thing as an acknowledgment of guilt or an apology.

You will find damned few actual 'apologies' in the litany recited by the Wiki page, and still fewer directed towards the Japanese attack upon Pearl Harbor.

When the Jap shows up, I hope they don't have all the battleships lined up like sitting ducks the way they did last time.

Apologies are, IMHO, meaningless. ....

Then why do so many keep demanding them, lying about those already made and then 'yeahbutting' when the truth is too obvious to avoid?

They do not teach (and have not taught) their young about their heavy responsibility for their national policies and behaviors in the first half of the 20th........

That's like saying America doesn't "teach their young" about the Vietnam War because we don't follow a curriculum written by the Vietnamese government.

Expressions of sorrow or remorse or repentance are not the same thing as an acknowledgment of guilt or an apology.

You will find damned few actual 'apologies' in the litany recited by the Wiki page, and still fewer directed towards the Japanese attack upon Pearl Harbor.

And there is the inevitable hair-splitting and denial as usual.

Good lord. How many more times are the Japanese going to have to apologize for Pearl Harbor?

And there is the inevitable hair-splitting and denial as usual.
Hey man, get back in your card board box!

If you get nuked and forced into a humiliating surrender you don't really have to apologize.

Even the nazis did have not a thing on the cruelty of the Japanese.

I am sort of glad the Japanese prime minister is visiting.

Japan has been an ally for 70 years now. My problem are the disgusting pathetic American hating libs that blame America for enticing Japan to attack. Had a lib tell me about it today.

They believe the poor Japanese were just peaceful innocent people and big bad white capitalist Christian America forced them to attack due to embargoes.

Yeeeah, we just enforced embargoes on innocent Japan. This is what they teach.

Forum List

Back